IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th November 2021, 10:30 AM   #41
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I'm sure a lot of people get lost at Mt Shasta, on various substances, or tell stories.

It would only be surprising if there weren't any strange stories from there.
The particular strain common in the area is known as "Humboldt Gold". "Magic Mushrooms" are also found throughout the Cascade Range. There are choices.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 02:52 PM   #42
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

Having never even heard of Mount Shasta I googled some images. America has some fantastic geology.

Just thought I'd mention that.

I've got my coat.

Compus
Old 1st December 2021, 03:23 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One reason Mt Shasta seem to attract kooks and kookery in general it very much dominates the scenary around it, the way that Mt. Fuji in Japan does. It rises much more aruptly from the foothills then say, the peaks in the Sierra do. It's at the sourthern end of the Cascades, which go north from their almost to the Canadian Border.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 03:26 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
I have to wonder how much of this can be traced back to (or blamed on) Robert Heinlein's "Lost Legacy". In the story several characters go missing while hiking on Mount Shasta. They are contacted by members of a secret society, descendant from pre-historic superhumans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Legacy

To me the most impressive bit is that he not only predicted the cell-phone (which a lot of futurists did), he also predicted that people would leave them behind in the office so they wouldn't be bothered at lunch.
Stories about stange beings living on Mt Shasta were pretty common well before Heinlien wrote "Lost Legacy".He was just cashing into a already well known meme. He never had a high regard for "Lost Legacy" condisering it to be a story he wrote just to pay the bills.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 05:03 PM   #45
stanfr
Graduate Poster

I climbed Shasta a few times in the early 2000s when i lived up that way...about the strangest thing I saw was an old dude and his dog skiing on wooden (yes, wooden) skis...
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 06:01 PM   #46
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He never had a high regard for "Lost Legacy" condisering it to be a story he wrote just to pay the bills.
I remember listening to an interview by Harlan Ellison, who also did pulp sci-fi stories like these early on in his career. He recalled that the story art for the magazines would usually be submitted first. The pulp author's job involved going down to the publisher's office, looking through the stack of illustrations that had been selected for an upcoming issue, and choosing one or two to write a story about, using nothing but the character design and whatever text was in the illustration (maybe a character or location name, and some open-ended actiony tagline) as a prompt. They got paid by the word, and very few authors feel any kind of sentimentality for their pulp stories.

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st December 2021 at 06:03 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 08:26 PM   #47
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I remember listening to an interview by Harlan Ellison, who also did pulp sci-fi stories like these early on in his career. He recalled that the story art for the magazines would usually be submitted first. The pulp author's job involved going down to the publisher's office, looking through the stack of illustrations that had been selected for an upcoming issue, and choosing one or two to write a story about, using nothing but the character design and whatever text was in the illustration (maybe a character or location name, and some open-ended actiony tagline) as a prompt. They got paid by the word, and very few authors feel any kind of sentimentality for their pulp stories.
I think it was Damon Knight who in his book about science fiction, In Search of Wonder, reported a story written around a cover illustration by Ed Emshwiller that the artist had signed "Emsh" across some sort of device in picture. The story ended up revolving around the use of the Emsh Space Drive.
Old 7th December 2021, 12:39 AM   #48
mgidm86
Philosopher

I drove by Mt. Shasta yesterday and didn't notice any missing people, at least from my vantage point.
Old 7th December 2021, 08:36 AM   #49
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I drove by Mt. Shasta yesterday and didn't notice any missing people, at least from my vantage point.
That's because they were missing.
Old 7th December 2021, 01:05 PM   #50
Axxman300
Philosopher

The real question is: where the people you did see real people?

Old 8th December 2021, 08:24 AM   #51
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
The real question is: where the people you did see real people?

https://media.giphy.com/media/2YkfSZ...DeFC/giphy.gif
I'm not sure that is a real question, actually.
Old 8th December 2021, 11:27 AM   #52
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I'm not sure that is a real question, actually.
What if we've all gone missing on Mt. Shasta and in the Bermuda Triangle and we just don't know it?
Old 8th December 2021, 10:09 PM   #53
mgidm86
Philosopher

I had a pretty clear view from only maybe 10 miles away. If they were there I would have seen them.
Old 9th December 2021, 09:10 AM   #54
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

I had a pretty clear view from only maybe 10 miles away. If they were there I would have seen them.
Wait- so the missing people have gone missing again, while they were missing?

Well, that clinches it. I'm sold. Mount Shasta clearly is a spooky place.
Old 9th December 2021, 11:09 AM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

One reason Mt Shasta seem to attract kooks and kookery in general it very much dominates the scenary around it, the way that Mt. Fuji in Japan does. It rises much more aruptly from the foothills then say, the peaks in the Sierra do. It's at the sourthern end of the Cascades, which go north from their almost to the Canadian Border.
Beyond the Canadian Border, in fact.
Quote:
The northern part of the range, north of Mount Rainier, is known as the North Cascades in the United States but is formally named the Cascade Mountains north of the Canada–United States border, reaching to the northern extremity of the Cascades at Lytton Mountain.[4] Overall, the North Cascades and Canadian Cascades are extremely rugged; even the lesser peaks are steep and glaciated, and valleys are quite low relative to peaks and ridges, so there is great local relief.[5] The southern part of the Canadian Cascades, particularly the Skagit Range, is geologically and topographically similar to the North Cascades, while the northern and northeastern parts are less glaciated and more plateau-like, resembling nearby areas of the Thompson Plateau.[2]
Wikipedia
Old 15th December 2021, 12:04 AM   #56
mgidm86
Philosopher

I drove from San Jose to Oregon recently and I saw Mt. Shasta approaching in the distance (or I approached it, okay). I kept seeing it approaching for like 2 hours. Big mountain in an area of little ones, very cool. I've always loved that area of the state.
Old 16th December 2021, 07:01 AM   #57
Drewbot
Philosopher

The Samsquanch brought the child to the cave with the berries and the dead bodies.

Upon crime scene analysis, zero Bigfoot DNA was uncovered, even though clearly the Bigfoots use the cave to store dead humans, and would leave DNA in the cave.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2021, 07:03 AM   #58
Drewbot
Philosopher

Also- sub reddit on Mt. Shasta

https://www.reddit.com/r/Missing411/...eb2x&context=3
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2021, 07:05 AM   #59
Drewbot
Philosopher

The full Child disappearance story is here https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread899732/pg1

Sorry if already posted.
Old 16th December 2021, 10:19 AM   #60
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Beyond the Canadian Border, in fact.

Wikipedia
Just the place to set up your artillery then....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2021, 12:19 PM   #61
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
The Samsquanch brought the child to the cave with the berries and the dead bodies.

Upon crime scene analysis, zero Bigfoot DNA was uncovered, even though clearly the Bigfoots use the cave to store dead humans, and would leave DNA in the cave.
COVERUP
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2021, 11:33 AM   #62
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Yes, because they get too comfortable and or over confident with their skills. I say that as someone who has done this very thing a lot (and I have the Poison Oak scars to prove it).
Yeah. I'm not a hunter but have done a fair bit of off-trail hiking, and have made "navigation errors" a few times. The Colorado mountains where I do most of my hiking fortunately don't generally have much poison oak or poison ivy (though it can be found at lower elevations), but there are plenty of thorny bushes -- wild rose, wild raspberry, gooseberry -- and even non-thorny bushes can tear you up if you have to fight your way through a log of them. And at higher elevations, dense spruce forest can be an absolute nightmare to get through, as there are usually old downed trees all over the place.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2021, 11:44 AM   #63
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I did not expect that there would be a bigfooter angle to this. Some people just have defective baloney detectors, is all.
Nobody expects the bigfoot! There is always a bigfoot angle.

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Is there any actual evidence of an unusual level of disappearances at Mount Shasta compared to similar locations? Or is it a another Bermuda-esque fallacy?
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You really need to start including evidence in your posts. How can anyone have any thoughts about vague rumors that you may have heard somewhere?
Yep to both above.

Originally Posted by CompusMentus View Post
Having never even heard of Mount Shasta I googled some images. America has some fantastic geology.

Compus
This, its dramatic and has attracted kookery probably since the gold rush, actually earlier, I'm pretty sure it add some religious significance to the Natives.

I've never seen any evidence of any weirdness their though.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 07:44 PM   #64
MBDK
Scholar

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Bubbles? Is that you?
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal