IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2022, 07:34 PM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Having the same name as a white criminal... while black

Oh this one is just priceless!!!

https://www.theroot.com/how-the-poli...arr-1848360872
"Henderson police pulled over 23-year-old Shane Lee Brown on a weapons charge associated with a felon who was initially charged in 1994. This previous felon, who also shared the name Shane Brown, was not only convicted three years before Shane was born but was also an entire white man."
Did you spot the obvious discrepancy?

The person they had a warrant for

Shane Neal Brown
5 ft 11 in
49 years old
White
Bushy white beard

The person they arrested on that warrant

Shane Lee Brown
5 ft 7
23 years old
Black
Clean shaven

They held this guy in jail for a week!!!!

No-one checked the description on the warrant?
No-one compared the booking photo with the mugshot of the wanted guy?

Really? How the **** do people who are so ******* stupid get to be cops?
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 16th January 2022 at 07:36 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 09:34 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Sometimes it feels like every white cop is a racist version of Barney Fife: Incompetent, trigger-happy, ready and willing to shoot any black person who moves.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 03:10 AM   #3
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Maybe it's the cynical part of me, but I can't help but wonder if maybe somebody did check, like midway through the week, and found out the truth but were annoyed by Brown's complaining AND affronted by the fact that he was right, so they just ignored the discrepancy and left him jailed knowing he'd be released eventually by the judge.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 06:15 AM   #4
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
So you finally get a case where police are colorblind and now you're upset? /sarcasm
Old 17th January 2022, 06:27 AM   #5
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Oh this one is just priceless!!!

https://www.theroot.com/how-the-poli...arr-1848360872
"Henderson police pulled over 23-year-old Shane Lee Brown on a weapons charge associated with a felon who was initially charged in 1994. This previous felon, who also shared the name Shane Brown, was not only convicted three years before Shane was born but was also an entire white man."
Did you spot the obvious discrepancy?

The person they had a warrant for

Shane Neal Brown
5 ft 11 in
49 years old
White
Bushy white beard

The person they arrested on that warrant

Shane Lee Brown
5 ft 7
23 years old
Black
Clean shaven

Simple. All he has to do is enlist.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 07:58 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

Why did it take him so long to get in front of a judge? Generally when you're arrested you get in front of a judge the next day. You don't wait 6 days before appearing.

Well, I hope the cop is happy. He just gave this man a free college education at the very least.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:26 AM   #7
bobdroege7
Illuminator

If I ever get pulled over in Chicago, oh you used to play for the Bears, have a nice day.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:48 AM   #8
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Why did it take him so long to get in front of a judge? Generally when you're arrested you get in front of a judge the next day. You don't wait 6 days before appearing.

Well, I hope the cop is happy. He just gave this man a free college education at the very least.
Some jurisdictions have speedy arraignment. But many require you to post bond (based on what charges are named) until the next available court date. In my youth I sat in a holding cell 3 times waiting for a bondsman, if I had not, the shortest wait would have been 9 days. When held that long, one does not get to sit in the many unused cells in the local jail, but sent to the appropriate county prison low security unit temporarily.

"Due process" my ass.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:53 AM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Some jurisdictions have speedy arraignment. But many require you to post bond (based on what charges are named) until the next available court date. In my youth I sat in a holding cell 3 times waiting for a bondsman, if I had not, the shortest wait would have been 9 days. When held that long, one does not get to sit in the many unused cells in the local jail, but sent to the appropriate county prison low security unit temporarily.

"Due process" my ass.
I guess I've never heard of that. If I was arrested on a Friday or Saturday night I wouldn't get to see a judge until Monday. If I was arrested on a weeknight, I would see the judge the next day. Either at the early session at 9:00 or the late session at 1:30. If I was bonded out then they would send me notice when I should appear.

It's crazy that happens. That sucks.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:59 AM   #10
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

No idea if this is the case here, but courts are generally clogged right now due to covid backlogs.
Old 17th January 2022, 09:08 AM   #11
Warp12
Illuminator

A buddy of mine was arrested a few years back, on a Saturday night. They rang up a judge right at the police station, on teleconference, that night. Far different from the old days.

I can't imagine waiting a week on something like this. That being said, I don't think there is anything to support this being a racially-motivated incident. Sounds like incompetence.
Old 17th January 2022, 09:20 AM   #12
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What I don't understand is why stories like this don't make national news on something like Good Morning America..
They could slip it in between stories about gazillionair celebrities who are feeling under the weather or refuse to get vaccinated..

Or even better yet, as a lead in to the story about the legacy of MLK..
Old 17th January 2022, 09:38 AM   #13
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
A buddy of mine was arrested a few years back, on a Saturday night. They rang up a judge right at the police station, on teleconference, that night. Far different from the old days.

I can't imagine waiting a week on something like this. That being said, I don't think there is anything to support this being a racially-motivated incident. Sounds like incompetence.
I think if you search through each and every "while black" thread, you'll see someone saying the exact same thing. Dozens and dozens of these threads and not one of them, in the opinion of a few, have been racial. It's always been incompetence.

Last edited by plague311; 17th January 2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 17th January 2022, 09:48 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I think you search through each and every "while black" thread, you'll see someone saying the exact same thing. Dozens and dozens of these threads and not one of them, in the opinion of a few, have been racial. It's always been incompetence.
And of course there is the false dichotomy that it has to be either or. I think this was the result of a confluence of incompetence and racism. The racism was the ignoring what the guy was saying, while they might double check things for a white guy, the incompetence was not verifying the identity in any kind of real way.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 10:37 AM   #15
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I think if you search through each and every "while black" thread, you'll see someone saying the exact same thing. Dozens and dozens of these threads and not one of them, in the opinion of a few, have been racial. It's always been incompetence.
It's not that it is or isn't racially motivated. Its that race is rarely shown to be the operative motivator, eclipsing any other.

The first Philly Starbucks thread showed black people being treated worse than white people. Pretty much a slam dunk for racially motivated. Same with some of the pool stories. But many just show cops or people being generic ********. Lately, we see more and more that the racist cop was discovered to also be a black man, or the racist was married to a black man (who says she wasn't racist), or the mass murderer was targeting sex workers, not being racist against Asians. Its not that racism is being ruled out. Its that racism isn't shown to be the driver.

Look at this story. Cops being ********. Breaking ******* news, that. Has it been determined that it was all white guys persecuting the young black man?

More to the point: the black guy was pulled over and gave his non-photo Social Security card as identification (which says boldly on the front 'Not For Identification"). No drivers license, although pulled over in a car. You think this might have had something to do with his poor treatment and the cops not believing him? I kind of do.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 11:08 AM   #16
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's not that it is or isn't racially motivated. Its that race is rarely shown to be the operative motivator, eclipsing any other.

The first Philly Starbucks thread showed black people being treated worse than white people. Pretty much a slam dunk for racially motivated. Same with some of the pool stories. But many just show cops or people being generic ********. Lately, we see more and more that the racist cop was discovered to also be a black man, or the racist was married to a black man (who says she wasn't racist), or the mass murderer was targeting sex workers, not being racist against Asians. Its not that racism is being ruled out. Its that racism isn't shown to be the driver.

Look at this story. Cops being ********. Breaking ******* news, that. Has it been determined that it was all white guys persecuting the young black man?

More to the point: the black guy was pulled over and gave his non-photo Social Security card as identification (which says boldly on the front 'Not For Identification"). No drivers license, although pulled over in a car. You think this might have had something to do with his poor treatment and the cops not believing him? I kind of do.
Thank you, I was looking for an example.

Funny you should mention the SSN. I went to the actual police station to fill out a form, when I filled out that form they called down a police officer to arrest me. I found out that day that, apparently, I had an outstanding ticket having something to do with an old vehicle registration. When they asked for an ID, which I didn't have (I was also driving at the time), guess what the next information they asked me for was? My Social Security Number. Why? They can look you up using that SSN and get information like your drivers license number, your physical makeup, etc.

Whatever though, I don't give a ****. At least this kid wasn't killed and he'll walk away with a ton of cash in his pocket. Your blathering about if it is or isn't racist is just another act in your extensive play. Break a leg out there.

Old 17th January 2022, 11:33 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure I follow. Had the cops pulled any of the data about their wanted perp up they would have quickly realized that this person was not him.

Sounds a lot like the computer pinged a partial name hit and they didn't bother to do any more diligence than that, despite many obvious giveaways. Ironically enough, the SSN would have been a good indicator that this wasn't the right guy, because unlike names there are no duplicates.

I don't see how a photo ID would have helped.
Old 17th January 2022, 11:40 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm not sure I follow. Had the cops pulled any of the data about their wanted perp up they would have quickly realized that this person was not him.

Sounds a lot like the computer pinged a partial name hit and they didn't bother to do any more diligence than that, despite many obvious giveaways. Ironically enough, the SSN would have been a good indicator that this wasn't the right guy, because unlike names there are no duplicates.

I had something like that happen to me a few years ago. Minor traffic accident and they found a warrant for someone with a similar name and put me in handcuffs. The warrant was for someone born on the 22nd of the month where I was on the 2nd and he was 40 years longer. Cops can really be idiots.
Old 17th January 2022, 11:44 AM   #19
Random
Illuminator

The Police Lottery. All it takes is a broken tail light and a dream...
Old 17th January 2022, 11:45 AM   #20
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Channel your inner ACAB for a moment. Cop pulls over a guy who can't or won't show valid ID. Who might you have here? A genuinely Bad Guy who doesn't want to be identified. So what do you do? Hold his ass on any flimsy pretext. That's my experience with cops, anyway. They are not here to help.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 17th January 2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: freaking cel phone keyboard
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 11:48 AM   #21
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Tend to agree. This just smacks of cops being idiots rather than anything else.

"Yeah the name matches, that's good enough, we don't need to check".
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 11:55 AM   #22
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

Would that have say looked at the picture or age of the person they were looking for if the guy they had was white? It is not an either or situation, cops tend to be a lot more incompetent around blacks.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 11:58 AM   #23
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Channel your inner ACAB for a moment. Cop pulls over a guy who can't or won't show valid ID. Who might you have here? A genuinely Bad Guy who doesn't want to be identified. So what do you do? Hold his ass on any flimsy pretext. That's my experience with cops, anyway. They are not here to help.
Sounds like they could have arrested him for driving without his license if their goal was to hassle him. .

Honestly sounds more like they're just idiots than anything, but it could easily be both or either.
Old 17th January 2022, 12:04 PM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

He doesn't want to be identified so he turns over his social security card, which can then be used to pull him up in the police database that will provide his picture from his drivers license? And honestly, for the sake of this argument, they didn't even need a picture. The kid wasn't alive when all of this happened. Boom, done. So you can deny that it's racially motivated, but it's just as plausible that the reason they didn't put any effort forth was because they had made up their mind that they had a gun toting black man on their hands.

You can deny it. I mean, you will, obviously that's your schtick, but there's only so many of these that can be chalked up to incompetence.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but not all racism comes with calling a PoC a racist epithet. They could have viewed this man, being a black man, as not worth putting forth more effort than they did.

Something happened here that caused this issue. There's 1) No way they ran his SSN through the system 2) There's no way they checked the warrant against the information they acquired from the guy 3) they didn't even take the proper initial step of checking his information at all.

Now you guys can say "well, that's incompetency clear as day". You may be right, I don't think so. I think it's a ******** statement, because this smacks of more than just incompetence. This, to me, looks like a concerted effort to harass someone by ignoring every single piece of information the cops had available.

To each their own though.

Old 17th January 2022, 12:08 PM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

LVMPD vehicles are equipped with internet connected computers with access to the police database. You do understand, that with his SSN, they could immediately get his DL number, photo and full name. In any case, he told the cops his full name. If he was trying to "hide his identity" to avoid a warrant by not carrying his DL, why would he then give them his full name? It seems these two cops are too stupid to work that out for themselves.

Besides, they can also pull up the full text of any arrest warrant right there, in the cruiser. That warrant carries a full description of the suspect - did they bother to check the description against the person they were holding? If they had, they could have seen that not only did the person not match the physical description on THREE factors, age, height and race, they didn't even have the same full names!!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 12:12 PM   #26
plague311
Great minds think...

Besides, they can also pull up the full text of any arrest warrant right there, in the cruiser. That warrant carries a full description of the suspect - did they bother to check the description against the person they were holding? If they had, they could have seen that not only did the person not match the physical description on THREE factors, age, height and race, they didn't even have the same full names!!
It would also have the most recent mugshot of the person the warrant is for when they pull the information up in the cruiser.

If this was incompetence then it was at every single step of the process. Which, if that's the case, we should be hearing about them being fired by now. They went out of their way to do absolutely nothing right.

Old 17th January 2022, 12:16 PM   #27
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And just to add, this might not be obvious racism (no epithet used that we know of), but as plague311 points out, it doesn't have to be. The mere subconscious mindset of "the guy is black so he's probably guilty" is infused into police thinking.
Cullen Hightower
Old 17th January 2022, 12:22 PM   #28
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

LVMPD vehicles are equipped with internet connected computers with access to the police database. You do understand, that with his SSN, they could immediately get his DL number, photo and full name. In any case, he told the cops his full name. If he was trying to "hide his identity" to avoid a warrant by not carrying his DL, why would he then give them his full name? It seems these two cops are too stupid to work that out for themselves.

Yup. So what are the top contenders for likely motivators here?

-police are stupid/lazy/DGAF
-police are malicious
-police didn't like something else about the guy and abused a flimsy pretext
-police are racists

I'm not seeing anything reported for the needle to swing one way or the other. For "police/other processing personnel are racist", we should at the very least determine that they were white to include that option?

Eta: his drivers licence. Does he have one? Does it have a pic of him when he was 17, and looks different at 23? During COVID, licenses were renewed online in the states, using the expired license picture. It could well have been a six year old pic, and young guys change their appearance quite a bit during those years, sometimes going from a scrawny teen to a beefy man.

Last edited by Thermal; 17th January 2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 17th January 2022, 12:25 PM   #29
plague311
Great minds think...

-police are malicious
-police are racists

I'm not seeing anything reported for the needle to swing one way or the other. For police/other processing personnel are racist, we should at the very least determine that they were white to include that option?
If it would make you feel better. Is that a qualifier or something? Can black people not treat other black people like **** or something? Would that somehow validate your "it can't be racism, it has to be incompetence" argument? As if, for some reason, racism isn't directly tied to incompetency?

Old 17th January 2022, 12:31 PM   #30
plague311
Great minds think...

Doing a bit of research, something these cops couldn't be bothered to do, it sounds like after this man was released from jail, the police received word that the actual man they were looking for was in another jail. It didn't say for sure if the man was incarcerated at the time Shane was arrested, but he's in jail now.

Old 17th January 2022, 12:37 PM   #31
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

If it would make you feel better. Is that a qualifier or something? Can black people not treat other black people like **** or something? Would that somehow validate your "it can't be racism, it has to be incompetence" argument? As if, for some reason, racism isn't directly tied to incompetency?
Not my argument, as already spelled out clearly. Not in the mood today to battle fantasy arguments.

Old 17th January 2022, 12:38 PM   #32
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

-police are malicious
-police are racists

I'm not seeing anything reported for the needle to swing one way or the other. For "police/other processing personnel are racist", we should at the very least determine that they were white to include that option?

Eta: his drivers licence. Does he have one? Does it have a pic of him when he was 17, and looks different at 23? During COVID, licenses were renewed online in the states, using the expired license picture. It could well have been a six year old pic, and young guys change their appearance quite a bit during those years, sometimes going from a scrawny teen to a beefy man.
Regardless of the irrelevant stuff you posted, an expired photo still isn't going to make him match the description of the suspect. I think you are just making excuses (feeble ones) for the cops.

Not in the mood today to battle fantasy arguments.
And speaking of fantasy arguments, an online driver's licence renewal can transform you from a tall, 50 year old white guy into a short, 23 year old black guy? Who knew?
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th January 2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 17th January 2022, 12:39 PM   #33
plague311
Great minds think...

Not my argument, as already spelled out clearly. Not in the mood today to battle fantasy arguments.
Yes, yes it is your argument. It's the same argument you make every single time and that's why you're making it here.

I don't need you to battle a damn thing. If you're saying it wasn't incompetence, and it wasn't racism, then what else is it?

Seriously though, you don't need to waste your time replying. I certainly don't need it.

Old 17th January 2022, 12:44 PM   #34
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

And speaking of fantasy arguments, an online driver's licence renewal can transform you from a tall, 50 year old white guy into a short, 23 year old black guy? Who knew?

Regardless of the irrelevant stuff you posted, an expired photo still isn't going to make him match the description of the suspect. I think you are just making excuses (feeble ones) for the cops.
Try again. I'm posing why a cop might be suspicious of a guy without ID, that has nothing to do with him being black. Again, the cops are pretty clearly twats here, one way or the other. I just don't see enough to drop which classification of twat, from the reporting presented.

Eta: for clarity: no, I don't think they had the two Shane Browns confused, or that it had anything to do with pictures. The cops sucked. I am not sure on what grounds they sucked. Because they were racist? Because they are callously incompetent? Dunno.

Last edited by Thermal; 17th January 2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 17th January 2022, 12:57 PM   #35
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Laughable.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 01:14 PM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Laughable.
Right? Like tons of people don't get pulled over without their drivers license all of the time.

The better question is: Why would the cops be suspicious of a man driving without a license when the same man is more than willing to identify him using alternative forms of ID?

I can think of a thousand reasons off the top of my head why someone might not have their drivers license. None of them nefarious, sketchy, or any other condescending word. What I can't think of is why two cops would fail at every single step of their job from top to bottom, yet still have a job.

Old 17th January 2022, 03:09 PM   #37
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post

The question here seems to be who oversees the incompetent, and how that incompetence is applied. Individual cases are hard to support, but I would not be too surprised to find a statistical trend (if such a thing were made available).

Of course we'll probably never know, but I am willing to bet that a white person mistakenly arrested when the true suspect is black would not be held in jail for a week, if arrested at all. I am willing to bet that if the police were looking for a person described as black, similar incompetence would be much rarer, if it occurred at all. Just a guess, mind you.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 06:16 PM   #38
sarge
Philosopher

It is exceedingly unlikely that mere incompetence is the reason this American spent a week in jail. There were far too many abject failures for it to be benign.

What we know from the story as told in the linked article makes it far more likely that this was malicious and intentional behavior by the cops. That this kind of thing happens disproportionately (in the extreme) to persons of color makes me believe racism is the primary reason it happened.
Old 17th January 2022, 06:46 PM   #39
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

LVMPD vehicles are equipped with internet connected computers with access to the police database. You do understand, that with his SSN, they could immediately get his DL number, photo and full name.
Exactly. It doesn't matter whether the SSN has "not for identification" printed on it; once they entered it into the computer they would have seen his name and DL photograph, where it would've been beyond obvious that he wasn't giving a false name or otherwise trying to conceal his identity.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 07:34 PM   #40
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Exactly. It doesn't matter whether the SSN has "not for identification" printed on it; once they entered it into the computer they would have seen his name and DL photograph, where it would've been beyond obvious that he wasn't giving a false name or otherwise trying to conceal his identity.
This, basically: if they wanted to be precise, or wanted to fix their mistakes, they could, with ease. If they did not, it was because they chose not to. To suggest that an event of such multiple, sequential mistakes by multiple persons over a week was simply an accident requires that you consider all the personnel involved to be so massively incompetent that they should immediately be fired for that alone.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events