IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd December 2021, 04:58 AM   #1
digger
Thinker

White supremacists are mounting false flag attacks to frame BLM

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53579099

May 2020, Minneapolis

"Police say Umbrella Man helped turn the largely peaceful protests violent.

Footage of the man wearing a mask and carrying an umbrella while smashing shop windows went viral online.

In the video, taken on 27 May, Umbrella Man can be seen breaking the windows with a hammer as people approach him trying to get him to stop. He then walks away from the scene."

"Police claim that the man's actions were a catalyst for the violence. The AutoZone store he was seen damaging in the video was later set on fire.

Erika Christensen, Minneapolis police investigator, said in a search warrant affidavit filed on Monday: 'This was the first fire that set off a string of fires and looting throughout the precinct and the rest of the city.'"

"the man was also connected to the Aryan Cowboys, a prison biker / street gang. The Anti-Defamation League identifies them as a white supremacist group based primarily in Kentucky and Minnesota."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...tests-2044384/

June 2020, Las Vegas

"The men were arrested after they planned to attend Saturday night’s protest on the Strip armed with Molotov cocktails to target police, according to a federal criminal complaint.

A confidential informant told officials the men 'wanted to use the momentum of the George Floyd death in policy custody in the City of Minneapolis to hopefully stir enough confusion and excitement; to cause riots, the complaint said."

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2...-lives-matter/

July 2020, Richmond

"Police: Richmond riots instigated by white supremacists disguised as Black Lives Matter"

"The mayor of Richmond thanked the Black Lives Matter protesters he said tried to stop the white supremacists from spearheading the violence."
digger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:10 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Conspiracy Theories? Really? Shouldn't this be in Social Issues and Current Events? Although the most recent of the citations are from a year and a half ago so I guess current on the historical scale.

So. A lone guy affiliated with a prison gang who broke windows on one AutoZone is blamed for citywide rioting, , three Boogs being Boogs, and the Richmond riots that police said were instigated by white supremacists in disguise.

Regarding the Richmond riots, you know that article you cite was some pretty weak T, right? The police, when pressed for answers, said "well yeah we saw some guys in Hawaiian shirts in the crowd." OK, so likely some boogs were there. boggs tend to riot when given the opportunity. Not sure how they then conclude that it was a conspiracy or false flag. From NBC (not exactly Fox or the like):

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/30/did...s-complicated/

So what are we talking about here? That a few boogs and a lone prison gang dude were involved in nationwide riots attended by millions? OK, no surprise there.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:12 AM   #3
digger
Thinker

So from the three examples I gave, you have three responses.

1) Only one white supremacist burning down one building, not evidence of anything else (you didn't read the article)

2) You're not sure how the Richmond police department concluded it was White Supremacists. I am using an argument from authority in a valid manner. You are using an argument from incredulity. Mine is stronger. If you're not sure how they made their conclusion, that just means you're ignorant.

3)"Three boogs being boogs" in Las Vegas. "Boogs tend to riot when given the opportunity" in Richmond. You have just agreed that to "be a boog" is to riot when you have the opportunity and launch false flag attacks with molotov cocktails unless you get caught first.
digger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:13 AM   #4
digger
Thinker

Black protesters deescalating White violence all over the country. Does anyone have any evidence that the arson and vandalism being attributed to BLM is anything but false flag attacks?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/black-...floyd-protests

"In Oakland, protesters filmed a group of white men smashing their way into businesses. In Detroit, black activists described attempts to “purposely infiltrate” peaceful protests. Videos circulated on Saturday, appearing to show white protesters being asked to stop defacing statues in Denver, and African-American organizers in Minneapolis putting out fires started by white protesters and asking white allies to calm down."

https://www.timesonline.com/story/ne...ays/112781346/

Pennsylvania : "George Floyd protests in Pa. being hijacked by white supremacists"

"The top civil rights agent in Pennsylvania is warning that peaceful protests across the state are being infiltrated by white supremacists"

"What I saw was a coordinated effort of looting encouraged by white supremacists"

"Lancaster Police Chief Jarrad Berkihiser on Monday said police have 'definite evidence' that white nationalists were among the crowds of protesters during the weekend.

They were wearing body armor and carrying handguns, and "caucasian individuals" threw rocks and bottles containing cayenne pepper at police, Berkhiser said.

Last edited by digger; 3rd December 2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:29 AM   #5
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by digger View Post
So from the three examples I gave, you have three responses.

1) Only one white supremacist burning down one building, not evidence of anything else (you didn't read the article)
No, hon, you didn't read the article. He is not even suspected of burning down anything. He smashed windows with a hammer and graffitied. The building was later set on fire by who the hell knows who, along with many other buildings in the city.

As I said, this is old news. But if it is pointed out to you later that your recounting of facts should be considered unreliable, this is exactly why.

Quote:
2) You're not sure how the Richmond police department concluded it was White Supremacists. I am using an argument from authority in a valid manner. You are using an argument from incredulity. Mine is stronger. If you're not sure how they made their conclusion, that just means you're ignorant.
God, you're priceless. The Richmond police made a claim. It failed under cursory scrutiny by the media. You ignore this and continue to cite the original claim as authoritative, and claim my citation of media debunking as ignorant. You couldn't serve your anti-fact bias up on a prettier silver platter.

Quote:
3)"Three boogs being boogs" in Las Vegas. "Boogs tend to riot when given the opportunity" in Richmond. You have just agreed that to "be a boog" is to riot when you have the opportunity and launch false flag attacks with molotov cocktails unless you get caught first.
Well, yeah. The boog nitwits are well known to be subversive agents who quite proudly instigate chaos and mayhem. Something shocking there, Johnny-come-Lately, or do you have some breaking news for us on the Colonies revolting?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by digger View Post
Black protesters deescalating White violence all over the country. Does anyone have any evidence that the arson and vandalism being attributed to BLM is anything but false flag attacks?
Riots attract all kinds of peeps. Black, white, anyone with a societal ax to grind.

I was in Philly and Atlantic City for the George Floyd protests that turned rioting and looting. Mostly black people (largely black population) and some white skater bios mixed in there.

Protests by BLM are notorious for being peaceful affairs. Riots, by definition, are not. Conflating the two is the mistake you are making. One descends into the other naturally, but not by the same participants or necessarily a subversive false flag operation.

Old 3rd December 2021, 10:50 AM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, it's a well known fact that only antifa can wear black garments of any kind.

Old 4th December 2021, 02:39 PM   #8
Warp12
Illuminator

Whenever I hear "false flag", it raises 3 eyebrows. Especially when the outlier is implied to be a statistically significant norm.
Old 4th December 2021, 03:41 PM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

The claim that the guy breaking windows at the Autozone in Minneapolis is some white supremacist agent provocateur is singly sourced from the police, who are well known to be outright liars or gullible morons who pass on ridiculous rumors.

I'd take that claim with a huge grain of salt. That guy was acting suspicious as hell, but that's no reason to pretend that the cops are credible in this example.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 4th December 2021 at 03:50 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 02:15 AM   #10
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I seem to recall this being pretty well documented in the summer of 2020. I remember a group of these morons getting rolled up in New Mexico and some kid in California getting arrested for a shooting intended to start a race war. This isn't like Bubba's typical ranting, the attempts to instigate violence at BLM protests actually happened.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...erque/5752450/
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 02:28 AM   #11
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I seem to recall this being pretty well documented in the summer of 2020. I remember a group of these morons getting rolled up in New Mexico and some kid in California getting arrested for a shooting intended to start a race war. This isn't like Bubba's typical ranting, the attempts to instigate violence at BLM protests actually happened.

The article talks of shots being fired 'near' the BLM protest.
It is not clear, then, whether these kids were trying to frame the protestors for acts of violence they hadn't committed, or if they were shooting at the protestors. The article says the gunfire was random.

If Bubba's spiel is to be believed, those kids should have been wearing the same shoes as the police. I find it extraordinary that this article makes no mention of their footwear at all. What kind of sloppy journalism is this?
Old 5th December 2021, 02:35 AM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
The article talks of shots being fired 'near' the BLM protest.
It is not clear, then, whether these kids were trying to frame the protestors for acts of violence they hadn't committed, or if they were shooting at the protestors. The article says the gunfire was random.

If Bubba's spiel is to be believed, those kids should have been wearing the same shoes as the police. I find it extraordinary that this article makes no mention of their footwear at all. What kind of sloppy journalism is this?
My memory of the incident was that the police at the time thought the shooters were Boogaloo (?) Boys intent on starting violence. It's possible I'm conflating a couple of incidents. There was a lot going on in the summer of 2020.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 06:31 AM   #13
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

"Boogaloo boys" are pretty explicit about this. They see protests as an opportunity to escalate to civil strife. Getting people into a shooting war is about the only thing unifying this nebulous group, which includes a variety of right wing freaks including fascists, libertarians, and largely apolitical trolls.
Old 5th December 2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

My memory of the incident was that the police at the time thought the shooters were Boogaloo (?) Boys intent on starting violence. It's possible I'm conflating a couple of incidents. There was a lot going on in the summer of 2020.
You made a pretty solid claim in your first post. It's a shame you couldn't back it up. Relying on memory and anecdote is not, as I'm sure you're aware, the approved skeptical way.
I'm not saying this didn't happen, but, in the interests of fairness, you really should provide better evidence for your claim.
Old 5th December 2021, 08:02 AM   #15
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You made a pretty solid claim in your first post. It's a shame you couldn't back it up. Relying on memory and anecdote is not, as I'm sure you're aware, the approved skeptical way.
I'm not saying this didn't happen, but, in the interests of fairness, you really should provide better evidence for your claim.
The Auto Zone incident in Minneapolis is well documented and was caught on video as it happened. Other Boogaloo Boy efforts are pretty explicit as well.
Old 5th December 2021, 08:23 AM   #16
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The Auto Zone incident in Minneapolis is well documented and was caught on video as it happened. Other Boogaloo Boy efforts are pretty explicit as well.
I think the issue with Umbrella boy was that he was never actually identified, and the association with the Aryan Cowboys thing is a bit tenuous. In any event, he did appear to be a lone actor smashing windows during a protest that was pretty chill up till then. Whether he was the match that set off the other rioting is entirely speculative. I tend to think it was going to boil over with or without that individual.

Boogs be Boogs. Provoking civil strife is their declared objective, so I'm not sure why anyone should be surprised when they do what they are dedicated to doing.

Old 5th December 2021, 08:42 AM   #17
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I think the issue with Umbrella boy was that he was never actually identified, and the association with the Aryan Cowboys thing is a bit tenuous. In any event, he did appear to be a lone actor smashing windows during a protest that was pretty chill up till then. Whether he was the match that set off the other rioting is entirely speculative. I tend to think it was going to boil over with or without that individual.

Boogs be Boogs. Provoking civil strife is their declared objective, so I'm not sure why anyone should be surprised when they do what they are dedicated to doing.
I saw speculation that he was a police officer, or a Hell's Angel, or an Aryan Cowboy. AFAIK, none of it proven, and we still don't know who he was. Presumably, therefore, we don't know what his motives were either.
Are any of these groups synonymous with the Boogaloo Boys, or are they a different organisation?
Old 5th December 2021, 08:58 AM   #18
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I saw speculation that he was a police officer, or a Hell's Angel, or an Aryan Cowboy. AFAIK, none of it proven, and we still don't know who he was. Presumably, therefore, we don't know what his motives were either.
Are any of these groups synonymous with the Boogaloo Boys, or are they a different organisation?
I actually know a couple Boogs (recently found out, much to my surprise). Kind of like antifa, in that it is a loose ideology more than a club with membership, so they could intersect with any other group.

Old 6th December 2021, 04:30 AM   #19
dann
Penultimate Amazing

We also know that actual protesters tried to stop him.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 04:31 AM   #20
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I actually know a couple Boogs (recently found out, much to my surprise). Kind of like antifa, in that it is a loose ideology more than a club with membership, so they could intersect with any other group.

Any other group? Or any other white supremacist group?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 04:34 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningBunch of off topic posts moved to AAH. This thread has nothing to do with the January 6th insurrection in the USA. There are plenty threads already discussing that topic.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 6th December 2021, 02:36 PM   #22
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Quote:
"This was the first fire that set off a string of fires and looting throughout the precinct and the rest of the city," Sgt. Erika Christensen wrote in a search warrant affidavit filed in court this week. "Until the actions of the person your affiant has been calling 'Umbrella Man,' the protests had been relatively peaceful. The actions of this person created an atmosphere of hostility and tension. Your affiant believes that this individual's sole aim was to incite violence."

Police identified "Umbrella Man" thanks to a tip that came via e-mail last week, Christensen said.

The Star Tribune could not independently verify the police account, which has so far only surfaced in the search warrant, and isn't naming the man because so far he has not been charged with a crime. The man, who has a criminal history that includes convictions of domestic violence and assault, did not respond to messages seeking comment. Spokespersons for the Minneapolis Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which is also involved in the investigation, declined to comment.
https://www.startribune.com/police-umbrella-man-was-a-white-supremacist-trying-to-incite-floyd-rioting/571932272/ 7/28/2020

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 10:59 PM   #23
digger
Thinker

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/1...floyd-protests

"Federal authorities have charged a Texas man with alleged ties to the violent 'Boogaloo Bois' anti-government extremist movement in connection with violence in Minneapolis following the killing of George Floyd."

"A federal criminal complaint alleges Ivan Harrison Hunter, 26, of Boerne, Texas, was identified as the person in a May 28 video shooting 13 rounds from an “AK-47 style semiautomatic rifle” into the Minneapolis Police Department’s 3rd Precinct building."

"Authorities say the shooter walked toward the camera, high-fived another person and yelled 'Justice for Floyd!' Investigators say he was wearing a distinctive skull mask"

"A confidential informant help provide information to the FBI about Hunter. The informant said Hunter admitted to shooting at the precinct and help set it on fire."

Last edited by digger; 6th December 2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 7th December 2021, 08:29 AM   #24
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Thanks, but this is more of the same. We know there are claims he was a Hell's Angel/Aryan Boys member, but AFAIK this claim has still not been verified.
That report was from back in July. Have they actually charged anyone yet?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories