ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th March 2017, 04:17 PM   #41
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think this is unduly elevating Trump by linking him to a great historic leader.
Come to think of it, there are similarities. Both are divisive figures with devout supporters and implacable foes, both have terrible hair, both are tubby, both have a reputation for being sexual creepers, both had children with awful foreign adventuresses many years their junior.
Old 9th March 2017, 07:34 PM   #42
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Send this:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Actually, that's how we got in this situation in the first place.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 03:06 AM   #43
willim
Scholar

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
https://www.theidesoftrump.com/#stats

I'm in, sounds like fun.
What a joke. The only thing missing is the claim that they have "2814 Architects and Engineers" on their side.

People can waste their time and money on sending postcards till the cows come home, and come morning, Trump will still be the President.

Folks need to get over it, and get on with their lives. Don't like him? Then vote him the hell out of office come next election.

Last edited by willim; 10th March 2017 at 03:14 AM.
willim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 05:31 AM   #44
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You sound worried by that.

You project
Old 10th March 2017, 05:35 AM   #45
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Old 10th March 2017, 06:37 AM   #46
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by willim View Post
What a joke. The only thing missing is the claim that they have "2814 Architects and Engineers" on their side.

People can waste their time and money on sending postcards till the cows come home, and come morning, Trump will still be the President.

Folks need to get over it, and get on with their lives. Don't like him? Then vote him the hell out of office come next election.
I remember someone posting back in 2010 the same sort of "get over it" nonsense about a bunch of red-blooded true blue Murkins mailing tea bags into the White House. Like those damned idiot conservatives thought they were going to change anything by organizing on a town hall and grass roots level! Don't make me laugh! You're finished. Get over it, LOL Paleos!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 07:01 AM   #47
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
This is Trump. We'll see a stupid tweet about it and they'll all either go straight into an incinerator or combed through to make a list of names and addresses of "political extremists".
I save them the trouble. I directly confront Trump on Twitter, and Breibart ilk on that site, under my own name. Not a fair fight, as it turns out. Sad.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 07:07 AM   #48
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

There ya go.

Millions of packages full of aluminum foil getting sent to the White House all at once.

That'll really keep the security people on their toes.
I like it, except for all of that waste cardboard and foil that might not get properly recycled. Maybe it should be a hand made foil hat in a letter size priority mail sleeve.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 07:57 AM   #49
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
They gave us the Super Bowl numbers.
Old 11th March 2017, 11:56 AM   #50
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Am I the only one wondering if this is some sort of spoof? I mean, the Ides of March thing is wince-worthy, and the notion that postcards can bring down Trump does seem just a tad fanciful.

On the other hand, as I have observed often in the past, the party out of power goes insane, while the party in power grows arrogant. They seem to have pinned the meter on both sides this time around.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 12:31 PM   #51
Civet
Muse

Though this particular protest is a rubbish idea, much of the reason for doing stuff like this is to build networks of activists to facilitate booting Republicans out of office next election. The Tea Party movement has already been mentioned as an example of the right doing something similar when they were out of power.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 02:39 PM   #52
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Am I the only one wondering if this is some sort of spoof? I mean, the Ides of March thing is wince-worthy, and the notion that postcards can bring down Trump does seem just a tad fanciful.

On the other hand, as I have observed often in the past, the party out of power goes insane, while the party in power grows arrogant. They seem to have pinned the meter on both sides this time around.
Surely, the party in power (at least in the executive branch) is also going insane.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 11:52 PM   #53
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
I'm sorry but I would bet good money that 95% of Americans, heck 95% of people the world over don't know what the Ides of March refers to, and I am probably erring on the side of caution here. So yes, only a better educated conspiracy theorist would go where you are going with this.
Caesar's assassination - hard not to know that one unless you skipped High School English an awful lot!!!!! Or never were made to watch the Brando version of same!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 11th March 2017 at 11:53 PM.
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 12:10 AM   #54
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Caesar's assassination - hard not to know that one unless you skipped High School English an awful lot!!!!! Or never were made to watch the Brando version of same!!!!!

I think you might be overly optimistic concerning the number of students actually exposed to it in any meaningful way, but leaving that aside there is also the problem of how many of those few managed to retain anything about it.
Old 12th March 2017, 12:20 AM   #55
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Do you seriously not see how dysfunctional Trump is? That's mind boggling. It's not ideology here Dude, it's dysfunction, obvious incompetent dysfunction.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 12:21 AM   #56
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Surely, the party in power (at least in the executive branch) is also going insane.
ftfy
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 06:02 AM   #57
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I agree.
I have monitored the "2800+ A&E" for years, and a number of petitions and similar efforts to count insurgent support on the side of 9/11 Truthers, and invariably, they would overestimate their reach and impact by orders of magnitude. Typically about 2 orders of magnitude, in fact: If they think they can reach a million they get ten thousand, etc.

So in this case, since the organizers hope for "millions", the best they coud hope for is tens of thousands. And indeed: Their Facebook page has 12K likes, 13K followers; the FB event page has "27K Going ∑ 15K Interested". Now that's Facebook - you can like, invite or accept an invite with a mere click in the comfort of your basement. Highly doubtful that even 1% of those will get up their arse, buy a postcard and a stamp, and find a letter box.

My prediction: White House will be bothered by about 500 postcards, a few giggles will be had, no Presidential Tweet will ridicule the event as it is too pathetic even for Donald.
Old 12th March 2017, 06:22 AM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How much tweeting did Trump do about Pussy Hat Day?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 07:19 AM   #59
logger
Philosopher

It's just a protest. The more vocal the anti-Trump crowd is, the more likely the 2018 election has of shifting Congress. Make yourself known, make yourself heard.

Everyday the news is saturated with Trump's antics and the endless debate about his Tweets, Spicer's hour long commercial and now GOP press conferences berating the ACA and pretending they have a better option.

Flood the White House with enough postcards all at once and at least we'll get 15 minutes of fame.

There's nothing here that promotes anything violent.
Election after election your side continues to lose, this time around you lost a large percentage of your base because you didn't want them anymore. Now you're going to protest more thinking this somehow will swell your numbers. You have so many seats to defend in 18 it's laughable to think you'll gain. Instead of moderating and working with this president, you go farther to the left thinking somehow that will help you win.

All you're doing is galvanizing people in the middle and on the right who are in the process of taking their country back from the loser lazy despicable left.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 07:48 AM   #60
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Keep in mind that when you're talking about seats to defend, those voters elected them once. Working with an unpopular president, loathed by your base does not seem to be a recipe for success.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 07:51 AM   #61
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's why postcards aren't a good idea. The Hair hates ridicule when he's mocked he gets stupid and takes to Twitter. When he tweets Senate Republicans distance themselves. A thousand tinfoil hates would inflict more psychological trauma than a million postcards.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 08:56 AM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Though this particular protest is a rubbish idea, much of the reason for doing stuff like this is to build networks of activists to facilitate booting Republicans out of office next election. The Tea Party movement has already been mentioned as an example of the right doing something similar when they were out of power.
More cargo-cult activism. The Tea Party got organized. The Tea Party engaged in jackass postal stunts. Therefore, if we engage in jackass postal stunts, we'll get organized too!

It's not clear that mailing tea bags had any causal relationship to articulating platforms, finding candidates, and electing them to office.

Getting organized for the mid-terms is going mean finding districts that could have voted blue in 2016 but didn't, reaching out to those voters, and convincing them to vote blue in 2018. Sending an asston of witty postcards to the White House is probably not going to have much to do with that effort. What's your vision of how this kind of Facebook drive is going to "build networks of activists" for that purpose?

Last edited by theprestige; 12th March 2017 at 09:01 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 09:07 AM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's why postcards aren't a good idea. The Hair hates ridicule when he's mocked he gets stupid and takes to Twitter. When he tweets Senate Republicans distance themselves. A thousand tinfoil hates would inflict more psychological trauma than a million postcards.
As long as Senate Republicans continue to distance themselves from Trump's crazier outbursts, their seats are probably safe. Triggering Trump through ridicule thus seems likely to be a waste of time and effort, in terms of getting organized for the mid-terms.
Old 12th March 2017, 09:23 AM   #64
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I think you might be overly optimistic concerning the number of students actually exposed to it in any meaningful way, but leaving that aside there is also the problem of how many of those few managed to retain anything about it.
If true. very sad. And I suspect in reality it is!!! I enjoyed much of the reading stuff in school and also had fun doing Mad Libs things to it in the book. Also captioning pictures as in Captions Courageous form and adding Martian war machines to pictures (the tripods, not the Pal flyers/AG field ones). Unfortunately, the only one of all those I remember well was a line from Silas Marner : Silas sat up in his bed eating his Christmas meat . All I did was add the letter b to the beginning of one of those words!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 10:16 AM   #65
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What's your vision of how this kind of Facebook drive is going to "build networks of activists" for that purpose?
It won't really - that's part of what makes it a rubbish idea. Going through the website promoting this, the one really good part of the plan is the hosting of postcard-writing parties in physical locations. People willing to put forth the minimal effort to physically turn up at an event are often the ones who might be willing to do real work in a political movement. The people organizing this campaign are probably not going to be particularly useful in defeating Republicans in elections, but some of the people who meet each other at these parties might be.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 10:22 AM   #66
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

As long as Senate Republicans continue to distance themselves from Trump's crazier outbursts, their seats are probably safe. Triggering Trump through ridicule thus seems likely to be a waste of time and effort, in terms of getting organized for the mid-terms.
One shouldn't be affiliated with the other. Organizing for midterms and efforts to ridicule and provoke the crazy in Trump should be parallel lines of effort.
Old 12th March 2017, 01:37 PM   #67
mgidm86
Illuminator

Gotta keep the money rolling in. This is only one of many such postcard campaigns (fighting harassment by harassing someone). Sounds like a publicity stunt for themselves.

Quote:
We will supply the postcard writing materials, you bring your sharpest wits! We will be holding a small raffle to cover stamp costs, and all other proceeds will go to Hollaback!.
Really, people can't bring a 50 cent stamp. Hmmmm.

"Hollaback! accepts donations and sells merchandise ("FeministApparel.com") on their website.

$30 for a tanktop? Maybe they're legit, but the first thing I thought of when I saw their site is "who is being paid?" Reminds me of a church - recruit members, bring in cash so we can do the lawds work! If it wasn't such a dumb idea I'd give it more credit.

https://www.ihollaback.org/

http://www.feministapparel.com/colle...ainst-catcalls
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 02:29 PM   #68
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by The Nimble Pianist View Post
Right!? I mean it's not like the organizers chose the date of one of the most infamous assassinations in history, or have images of the coin minted by the assassin shortly thereafter on multiple places on the website. Only a conspiracy theory prone individual would jump to wild conclusions.
Postcards instead of daggers. It makes all the difference.

For the record, I thought Sara Palin's crosshairs were overblown too. It's just a metaphor, folks.
Old 12th March 2017, 02:33 PM   #69
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Huh. I now have in my head an image of Trump being surrounded by senators wielding knives.

Et tu, Bannon?
That would be awesome. Maybe "Et tu, Ivanka?" or "Et tu, Tiffany?"
Old 12th March 2017, 10:42 PM   #70
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That would be awesome. Maybe "Et tu, Ivanka?" or "Et tu, Tiffany?"
The turnaround comes with Kellyanne's funeral speech.

"Friends, winners, dealmakers, lend me your ears!
I come to bury Donald, not to praise him
The bad deals men make live after them
The good are oft interred with their bones
So let it be with Donald! The noble Bannon
Hath told you Donald was ambitious
If so, it were a tremendous fault
And tremendously hath Donald answer'd it
Here, under leave of Bannon and the rest -
For Bannon is an honourable man
So are they all, all honourable men -
Come I to speak at Donald's funeral
He was my boss, faithful and just to me
But Bannon says Donald was ambitious
And Bannon is an honourable man
He hath grabbed many pussies in the States
Whose lawsuits did the lawyer's pockets fill
Did this in Donald seem ambitious,
When that the losers cried, Donald hath scoffed?
Ambition should be made of smarter stuff
And Bannon is an honourable man
You all did see on Fox & Friends
I thrice defended his obnoxious tweets
While thrice he doubled down, was this ambition?
And sure, he is an honourable man
I speak not to disprove what Bannon spoke
But only to give alternative facts
You all did see him give you great healthcare
What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?
Oh judgment, thou art fled to brutish beasts
And men have turned to losers
Bear with me! My brand is in the coffin there with Donald
And I must pause to book some Fox News slots."

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 12th March 2017 at 10:43 PM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 11:08 PM   #71
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Sooner or later (more likely later - e.g. around 2020, not 2018), the ploy is going to backfire. "Oh, my! Did you hear what that horrible man did/said? Now, me? I'm a bona fide conservative and don't have any of that hatred or meanness in me, no sir. So vote for me and I'll help keep the Orange Fungus in check. Gotta go. I have an appointment with the Secretary of Segregation and Jew-Baiting to see if we can get funding for a new idea we call Separate But Equal. You'll love it!"
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 11:38 PM   #72
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Pfft... beware the ides of march, my son, the jaws that bite, the claws that catch. beware the jubjub bird and shun the frumious bandersnatch.
Actually that sounds like it would be right up Trump's alley.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 10:36 AM   #73
Distracted1
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Not a bad thought, tinfoil hats would be useful for preventing spying via Microwave.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:18 PM   #74
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Not a bad thought, tinfoil hats would be useful for preventing spying via Microwave.
Ya think? Ever put tin foil in your microwave? If Obama is really beaming microwaves into your kitchen, foil helmets might be a good way to save on haircuts for seventeen or eighteen months but not much else.
Old 15th March 2017, 03:33 AM   #75
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Tinfoil might help Rachel Maddow at this point
Old 20th March 2017, 11:55 AM   #76
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Were any postcards sent last week?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:26 PM   #77
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Were any postcards sent last week?

Didn't you get mine?
Old 24th March 2017, 11:44 AM   #78
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Social media says yes, the White House is mum. I sent in 10.

My "Ides of Trump" postcards By RoyalScribe

The Ides of Trump: 4,000-plus postcards written at event hosted by Palo Alto woman

President Trump might get a blizzard of postcards soon
Quote:
Caroline Bays (center) was among those penning postcards to President Trump last week at First Parish Watertown, a Unitarian-Universalist congregation.

Did the Ides of Trump Hit a Million - Organizer Zack Kushner Estimates It Did

And so on.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th March 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 24th March 2017, 07:08 PM   #79
Civet
Muse

Social media says yes, the White House is mum. I sent in 10.
Did you go to one of the writing parties? If so, what was it like?
Old 24th March 2017, 07:13 PM   #80
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Did you go to one of the writing parties? If so, what was it like?
No, I had a ton of postcards already and sent 10 of them in.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics