ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Closed Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 03:37 PM   #2161
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
AIUI Most countries have a mechanism by which they can strip 'naturalised citizens' of their status and deport them, usually because of imprsionment, or in the case of the US, former Nazi's.

ECHR would consider it a breach of family law if Rudy is deported, as he has been in Italy since age five, and was educated and culturalised there. He would be a stranger in Cote D'Ivoire.

Having said that, when we look at his crime and note he has shown zero remorse, hard to shed any tears for him.

He'll be cashing in as soon as he steps out. Just like Raff and Amanda.

Imagine that: commit a heinous crime, and you need never have to do any honest day's work: you do book tours and Innocence talks at US$5K a time.
Spot the Godwin.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:38 PM   #2162
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I can't imagine for one second that Rudy will be cashing in. Are YOU going to buy his book? Are YOU interested in hearing him discuss this crime? Rudy is going to have a very hard time.

I'm also not sure the ECHR would consider it unlawful to deportation Rudy. What evidence do you have of that? Do you have a citation or are you talking out your ass?
He has >3.4K likes for his FB page. I can see him becoming a 'freak show' novelty, like Amanda and Raff, doing a round of TV interviews, just for the prurience angle. Sociologists and law students will be interested.

It depends on what he discloses. Once he's done the time, he's free to spill the beans, although I doubt he ever will, as few murderers confess.

Citation: look up 'ECHR and Hamza' on Google. Gives you the ECHR headers. Or look up ECHR 'Right to Family Life' under wiki.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:43 PM   #2163
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
There is no requirement. However, if you travel or ring abroad frequently you would do the same.

Mez rang her parents frequently.
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Believe me, you do not. I was abroad in 2007 and my phone automatically connected me to English numbers without my having to do anything.
Do you think that being "abroad" once in the last decade qualifies you to even be considered a "frequent traveller"?

ETA: Tell me, why would that not work in the US? And how can you avoid that issue?

ETA2: What is odd about calling Italy from outside Italy?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?

Last edited by abaddon; 20th March 2017 at 03:49 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:55 PM   #2164
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Wrong again. There is a difference between the logs stored in your phone and the logs retained by your service provider. Do you know what that is?
Er, you do know expert forensic electronic bods analysed the calls and reported to the court? Do read Massei or Micheli Report for finer details.

Fact is, Abbey National was dialed on Mez' phone, but the connection aborted, as it was believed the country code was not entered - others that it needed further interface to connect. In any case, it took place at the cottage, circa 10:10pm, and that was the last known signal at the cottage, a signal being picked up some distance away in someone's garden circa 00:30.

The fact Abbey was almost certainly the first name on Mez' phone contacts, suggests it was activated by simple movement, possibly a struggle that occurred.

The idea that 'Rudy was hoping to get money out of Mez' bank is a daft one.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:55 PM   #2165
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
There is no requirement. However, if you travel or ring abroad frequently you would do the same.

Mez rang her parents frequently.

Read the following very carefully:

I've told you explicitly already: the Massei report proves beyond doubt that those two numbers stored on Kercher's phones which were dialled (then auto-aborted) at around 10pm - the 901 number for voicemail and the 0845 number for Abbey - did NOT feature either the international dialling code from Italy (or "+" for a universal int'l code) or the UK international access code "44".

And that's because both those numbers had originally been stored by Kercher while she was living in the UK (or, in the case of the 901 voicemail number, placed there by the network operator prior to purchase). When both of those numbers were dialled from Perugia that night, they were not recognised by the Italian network onto which Kercher's UK phone was roaming (Wind). When Wind saw "901" and a number starting "0845", it knew immediately that the format was incompatible with any Italian numbers (and that the numbers contained no international dialling/access codes), so it automatically aborted/terminated the calls. If you or I took a mobile phone to Italy and tried dialling a number such as 901 or one starting "0845", we would find the call auto-terminated immediately as well. It would only be if we prefixed the number with the int'l dialling code and the UK access code (e.g. "+440845....") that the call would complete.

It is indeed arguably somewhat likely that for those numbers which Kercher called regularly from Italy (e.g. her parents and friends), she might have re-stored them in her UK mobile to include "+44" before the number. But the evidence provided in the Massei Report from the analysis of the phones proves conclusively that this was not the case for either of the voicemail access number or the 0845 number for Abbey that were dialled at around 10pm that night.

Once again, I suggest that you a) read the relevant evidence from the Massei Report, which is unequivocal and conclusive on this matter, and b) try to become more conversant with the evidence in this case (and with matters of science and technology in general).
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:57 PM   #2166
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Do you think that being "abroad" once in the last decade qualifies you to even be considered a "frequent traveller"?

ETA: Tell me, why would that not work in the US? And how can you avoid that issue?

ETA2: What is odd about calling Italy from outside Italy?
I am classed as a frequent traveller.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:59 PM   #2167
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,630
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
They do not have the jursidiction to rule it 'unlawful'. However, they can rule it a breach of Human Rights ( = Right to Family Life) and award compensation against the member state.

The UK had this problem with various criminals, including the notorious Hamza (now serving time in the USA).

So, Rudy cannot overturn the law, but can get compensation if it is ruled there is a breach of Human Rights.
That's not a citation.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:59 PM   #2168
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, you do know expert forensic electronic bods analysed the calls and reported to the court? Do read Massei or Micheli Report for finer details.

Fact is, Abbey National was dialed on Mez' phone, but the connection aborted, as it was believed the country code was not entered - others that it needed further interface to connect. In any case, it took place at the cottage, circa 10:10pm, and that was the last known signal at the cottage, a signal being picked up some distance away in someone's garden circa 00:30.

The fact Abbey was almost certainly the first name on Mez' phone contacts, suggests it was activated by simple movement, possibly a struggle that occurred.

The idea that 'Rudy was hoping to get money out of Mez' bank is a daft one.
Answer the question asked, not the question you fervently wish was asked.

There is a difference between the logs stored in your phone and the logs retained by your service provider. Do you know what that is?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:01 PM   #2169
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Believe me, you do not. I was abroad in 2007 and my phone automatically connected me to English numbers without my having to do anything.

No. No it didn't. And nor would it in 2017. I guarantee you that if you have, say, the number "02074331000" stored in your mobile phone under the name "Alan", then you travel to France or the US or India with your phone, and you bring up the entry "Alan" from your stored contacts and try to dial, that number will not connect.

You, once again, a) do not know what you're talking about, and b) are making up any old crap to try to defend an indefensible position. Do you have no shame whatsoever.......?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:02 PM   #2170
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Answer the question asked, not the question you fervently wish was asked.

There is a difference between the logs stored in your phone and the logs retained by your service provider. Do you know what that is?
What is this, abaddon, an exam?
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:02 PM   #2171
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am classed as a frequent traveller.
Once a decade? No. You are not. Likely, you got suckered by those schemes whereby you get a pass to the executive lounge that are given as freebies if you buy the right product.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:02 PM   #2172
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,630
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Read the following very carefully:

I've told you explicitly already: the Massei report proves beyond doubt that those two numbers stored on Kercher's phones which were dialled (then auto-aborted) at around 10pm - the 901 number for voicemail and the 0845 number for Abbey - did NOT feature either the international dialling code from Italy (or "+" for a universal int'l code) or the UK international access code "44".

And that's because both those numbers had originally been stored by Kercher while she was living in the UK (or, in the case of the 901 voicemail number, placed there by the network operator prior to purchase). When both of those numbers were dialled from Perugia that night, they were not recognised by the Italian network onto which Kercher's UK phone was roaming (Wind). When Wind saw "901" and a number starting "0845", it knew immediately that the format was incompatible with any Italian numbers (and that the numbers contained no international dialling/access codes), so it automatically aborted/terminated the calls. If you or I took a mobile phone to Italy and tried dialling a number such as 901 or one starting "0845", we would find the call auto-terminated immediately as well. It would only be if we prefixed the number with the int'l dialling code and the UK access code (e.g. "+440845....") that the call would complete.

It is indeed arguably somewhat likely that for those numbers which Kercher called regularly from Italy (e.g. her parents and friends), she might have re-stored them in her UK mobile to include "+44" before the number. But the evidence provided in the Massei Report from the analysis of the phones proves conclusively that this was not the case for either of the voicemail access number or the 0845 number for Abbey that were dialled at around 10pm that night.

Once again, I suggest that you a) read the relevant evidence from the Massei Report, which is unequivocal and conclusive on this matter, and b) try to become more conversant with the evidence in this case (and with matters of science and technology in general).
Some people are slow.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:02 PM   #2173
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,512
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Please don't quote me out of context. This was in the context of religion and your claim to be superior, as an atheist.

The evidence shows, Mez snubbed Amanda over Halloween, she got off with handsome ski-aficionado Giacomo (and noted to a friend that Amanda irritated her by saying, 'You can have him', as though she had first choice), and immediately before the murder, Patrick told her not to come in.

Remembering how Mez had shaken a mean mojito and Patrick had demoted Amanda to handing out flyers, and how Mez had gone out yet again that afternoon with friends with barely a backward glance or inviting Amanada, we can see how Amanda's envy and resentment got the better of her.

No motive? I don't think so.

You know, you may have a point here. I know that I, knowing a roommate for a whole month, would become murderously enraged because she told me she couldn't meet me for Halloween because she already had plans with people I really didn't know or cared to know. At the same time, finding out that she made a "mean mojito" would further enrage me. I mean, a "mean margarita" I could handle, but a mojito? I couldn't let her get away with that! She'd deserve what she got, the biatch! And then dating a man I wasn't interested in would further make it impossible for me to let her live, never mind that I was involved in my own new relationship. No, if I didn't want him, she certainly can...er...I mean can't.


Amanda was not demoted to handing out flyers. She had always handed out flyers during the day and served drinks at night. Apparently it has slipped your mind that she was supposed to go to le Chic the night of the murder to serve drinks, not to hand out flyers. Or do you think she was told not to come in to work because business was slow and there wouldn't be enough people to hand flyers to?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:03 PM   #2174
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What is this, abaddon, an exam?
Yup. We are examining your claims. F- is your score so far.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:04 PM   #2175
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
No. No it didn't. And nor would it in 2017. I guarantee you that if you have, say, the number "02074331000" stored in your mobile phone under the name "Alan", then you travel to France or the US or India with your phone, and you bring up the entry "Alan" from your stored contacts and try to dial, that number will not connect.

You, once again, a) do not know what you're talking about, and b) are making up any old crap to try to defend an indefensible position. Do you have no shame whatsoever.......?
My phone plan being +44 means it connects to my English numbers on my contacts. Likewise people can ring me despite my being out of the country, as it retains the +44, even if they have not dialed it.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:05 PM   #2176
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am classed as a frequent traveller.

Well, GOOD FOR YOU! ("I am classed as......" hahahahaha)

Personally, "I am classed as" a frequent visitor to the International Space Station. The really funny thing is, I took my mobile phone up there with me, dialled my local London Indian takeaway using the number 02072893333, and IT CONNECTED RIGHT THROUGH TO THE RESTAURANT WITH NO NEED FOR ANY INTERNATIONAL DIAL/ACCESS CODES!!!!! Modern technology is quite amazing! (I ordered a murgh makhani, pilao rice, plain roti and mango lassi - and they delivered to the ISS!)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:06 PM   #2177
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Once a decade? No. You are not. Likely, you got suckered by those schemes whereby you get a pass to the executive lounge that are given as freebies if you buy the right product.
Finnair labels me a 'frequent traveller'.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:10 PM   #2178
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,512
[quote=Vixen;11764662]Er, you do know expert forensic electronic bods analysed the calls and reported to the court? Do read Massei or Micheli Report for finer details.

Fact is, Abbey National was dialed on Mez' phone, but the connection aborted, as it was believed the country code was not entered - others that it needed further interface to connect. In any case, it took place at the cottage, circa 10:10pm, and that was the last known signal at the cottage, a signal being picked up some distance away in someone's garden circa 00:30.

The fact Abbey was almost certainly the first name on Mez' phone contacts, suggests it was activated by simple movement, possibly a struggle that occurred.

The idea that 'Rudy was hoping to get money out of Mez' bank is a daft one.[/QUOTE]

You'd be right if anyone had suggested that, which no one has. But that fact doesn't stop you from thinking it so anyway.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:14 PM   #2179
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
[quote=Stacyhs;11764697]
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, you do know expert forensic electronic bods analysed the calls and reported to the court? Do read Massei or Micheli Report for finer details.

Fact is, Abbey National was dialed on Mez' phone, but the connection aborted, as it was believed the country code was not entered - others that it needed further interface to connect. In any case, it took place at the cottage, circa 10:10pm, and that was the last known signal at the cottage, a signal being picked up some distance away in someone's garden circa 00:30.

The fact Abbey was almost certainly the first name on Mez' phone contacts, suggests it was activated by simple movement, possibly a struggle that occurred.

The idea that 'Rudy was hoping to get money out of Mez' bank is a daft one.[/QUOTE]

You'd be right if anyone had suggested that, which no one has. But that fact doesn't stop you from thinking it so anyway.
The OP did indeed suggest this. Take it up with the OP.

I am glad you agree with me, Stacyhs, that it is an ignorant idea.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:15 PM   #2180
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
My phone plan being +44 means it connects to my English numbers on my contacts. Likewise people can ring me despite my being out of the country, as it retains the +44, even if they have not dialed it.

What?

"My phone plan being +44"?

What the hell are you making up now? That makes......zero sense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and you don't even know that if a UK mobile customer travels outside the UK, then anyone in the UK calling that person's mobile will always get through to the customer. If I, a UK mobile customer with the mythical UK mobile number 07431800900, travelled to (say) Thailand with my phone, then anyone within the UK could always reach me by dialling 07431800900. That's because when I roamed onto a local network in Thailand, that network would communicate with my home UK network and effectively tell my home network that I was now reachable via that Thailand network - which would mean in turn that anyone calling 07431800900 would reach my UK network management centre, which would know that I was now on the Thailand network and would route the call accordingly. And all of that is a TOTALLY SEPARATE issue from the issue of a person using a non-UK network dialling a UK number (such as 02072894242) without using the +44 prefix.

Furthermore, your notion that "people can ring me despite my being out of the country, as it retains the +44, even if they have not dialed it" is perhaps most laughable of all (and most indicative of your total illiteracy on this matter): someone situated within the UK calling a UK mobile number (e.g. 07431800900) would NEVER need to use the +44 prefix. They would only need to use that prefix if they themselves were situated outside the UK - and if they didn't use it, their call would not connect to that UK mobile.

You're soooooooooooooooooo ignorant on this whole subject, it's verging on the ridiculous. And please stop simply making things up, eh?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:18 PM   #2181
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Finnair labels me a 'frequent traveller'.
Yup. Suckered by the Finnair marketing department. That whole malarkey is intentionally designed to flatter. I recall many years ago when I got my "Premiere" card back in 97. It came with a glossy brochure listing the various executive lounges in the various airports around the world where I could avoid the hoi-polloi and enjoy waiting for my flight in a slightly more boring location. I knew it for what it was, a vain attempt to invoke self regarding ego preening in the hope of generating more business.

Bottom line is, once per decade does not make you a frequent flier. Once per year does not make you a frequent flier. Once per month doesn't really quite make it either, although it gets close.

Whichever airline terms you to be a frequent flier is flat out lying in the service of their marketing department.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:20 PM   #2182
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
What?

"My phone plan being +44"?

What the hell are you making up now? That makes......zero sense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and you don't even know that if a UK mobile customer travels outside the UK, then anyone in the UK calling that person's mobile will always get through to the customer. If I, a UK mobile customer with the mythical UK mobile number 07431800900, travelled to (say) Thailand with my phone, then anyone within the UK could always reach me by dialling 07431800900. That's because when I roamed onto a local network in Thailand, that network would communicate with my home UK network and effectively tell my home network that I was now reachable via that Thailand network - which would mean in turn that anyone calling 07431800900 would reach my UK network management centre, which would know that I was now on the Thailand network and would route the call accordingly. And all of that is a TOTALLY SEPARATE issue from the issue of a person using a non-UK network dialling a UK number (such as 02072894242) without using the +44 prefix.

Furthermore, your notion that "people can ring me despite my being out of the country, as it retains the +44, even if they have not dialed it" is perhaps most laughable of all (and most indicative of your total illiteracy on this matter): someone situated within the UK calling a UK mobile number (e.g. 07431800900) would NEVER need to use the +44 prefix. They would only need to use that prefix if they themselves were situated outside the UK - and if they didn't use it, their call would not connect to that UK mobile.

You're soooooooooooooooooo ignorant on this whole subject, it's verging on the ridiculous. And please stop simply making things up, eh?

Stop ninja-ing me, and stop pretending to correct me, instead of admitting you erred.

Were someone to use Mez' phone to contact Abbey from Italy, it would have been just one click on her contacts list. Nobody would be doing any 'dialing' per se.

One of her phones was on an English Vodafone plan, the other on an Italian one.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:20 PM   #2183
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
My phone plan being +44 means it connects to my English numbers on my contacts. Likewise people can ring me despite my being out of the country, as it retains the +44, even if they have not dialed it.
Wrong again. That is not how it works at all.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:22 PM   #2184
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,630
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
No. No it didn't. And nor would it in 2017. I guarantee you that if you have, say, the number "02074331000" stored in your mobile phone under the name "Alan", then you travel to France or the US or India with your phone, and you bring up the entry "Alan" from your stored contacts and try to dial, that number will not connect.

You, once again, a) do not know what you're talking about, and b) are making up any old crap to try to defend an indefensible position. Do you have no shame whatsoever.......?
In the US, you need to add the prefix 011 before the country code. In Italy it's 00 before the country code, in Japan it is 010. Does it work calling in the UK to enter 0044 prefix for internal UK calls? Because in Italy without the 00 preceding the country code, the call is not going to be connected.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:25 PM   #2185
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yup. Suckered by the Finnair marketing department. That whole malarkey is intentionally designed to flatter. I recall many years ago when I got my "Premiere" card back in 97. It came with a glossy brochure listing the various executive lounges in the various airports around the world where I could avoid the hoi-polloi and enjoy waiting for my flight in a slightly more boring location. I knew it for what it was, a vain attempt to invoke self regarding ego preening in the hope of generating more business.

Bottom line is, once per decade does not make you a frequent flier. Once per year does not make you a frequent flier. Once per month doesn't really quite make it either, although it gets close.

Whichever airline terms you to be a frequent flier is flat out lying in the service of their marketing department.
You cannot possibly know how many times I travel.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:27 PM   #2186
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In the US, you need to add the prefix 011 before the country code. In Italy it's 00 before the country code, in Japan it is 010. Does it work calling in the UK to enter 0044 prefix for internal UK calls? Because in Italy without the 00 preceding the country code, the call is not going to be connected.
Yes, you can dial +44 (or 0044) inland.

These days, your provider will automatically save it to your contacts as +44, unless one specifies another country code.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:29 PM   #2187
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, you do know expert forensic electronic bods analysed the calls and reported to the court? Do read Massei or Micheli Report for finer details.

Fact is, Abbey National was dialed on Mez' phone, but the connection aborted, as it was believed the country code was not entered - others that it needed further interface to connect. In any case, it took place at the cottage, circa 10:10pm, and that was the last known signal at the cottage, a signal being picked up some distance away in someone's garden circa 00:30.

The two auto-aborted calls - to 901 (UK voicemail access) and the 0845 number (Abbey Bank) - actually took place at 9.58pm and 10.00pm. As you yourself stated so very eloquently in the opening paragraph of this very post: do read the Massei Report for further details........



Quote:
The fact Abbey was almost certainly the first name on Mez' phone contacts, suggests it was activated by simple movement, possibly a struggle that occurred.

Do you even know how mobile phone menus work?? In order for the known evidence to have taken place, a significant number of discrete steps must have taken place, over a period of at least two minutes (and this is the minimum number of steps that has to have taken place):

1) Button is pushed to access stored contacts
2) Button is pushed to select Voicemail 901
3) Button is pushed to dial Voicemail 901
Call auto-aborts
Over 1 minute elapses
4) Button is pushed to access stored contacts
5) Button is pushed to scroll from Voicemail 901 to Abbey
6) Button is pushed to select Abbey
7) Button is pushed to dial Abbey
Call auto-aborts

So a minimum of seven different button pushes, in a specific order, had to have taken place over a period of at least two minutes.

The evidence therefore suggests very strongly that this was NOT the product of any kind of scuffle/fight/struggle (both in terms of the necessary number of organised button pushes and the necessary elapsed time over which those button pushes took place), but was rather the product of someone interrogating Kercher's UK phone - probably with the aim of either turning it off or placing it onto a mute setting.

But hey..... why let the truth/evidence get in the way of a load of old cobblers and scientific illiteracy....?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:32 PM   #2188
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Stop ninja-ing me, and stop pretending to correct me, instead of admitting you erred.
Nope. Your claims are flat out wrong.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Were someone to use Mez' phone to contact Abbey from Italy, it would have been just one click on her contacts list.
How do you know it was in her contact list? How do you know she didn't simply dial from memory? Why are you avoiding the fact that people remember numbers they commonly use for years? My parents are long dead, their numbers are not in my phone. I can still rattle them off without any effort.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nobody would be doing any 'dialing' per se.
One could choose that, or one could choose not to do so. People have this facility called "memory". Some of us use it.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
One of her phones was on an English Vodafone plan, the other on an Italian one.
So what? What is it that you think that signifies?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:34 PM   #2189
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Yes, you can dial +44 (or 0044) inland.

These days, your provider will automatically save it to your contacts as +44, unless one specifies another country code.
Wrong again. Your phone stores your contacts, not your provider.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:35 PM   #2190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,630
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Yes, you can dial +44 (or 0044) inland.

These days, your provider will automatically save it to your contacts as +44, unless one specifies another country code.
But your missing the point. Since there is no reason for you to store the international dialing code which is different in many countries why the hell would you add it? If I dialed 0044 from the US it's not going to connect to the UK, the same is true in Japan. The IDD code is not universal.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:37 PM   #2191
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,895
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
You cannot possibly know how many times I travel.
Yes I can. You claimed that you last travelled abroad in 2007.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Believe me, you do not. I was abroad in 2007 and my phone automatically connected me to English numbers without my having to do anything.
Are you going to backpedal again?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:39 PM   #2192
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In the US, you need to add the prefix 011 before the country code. In Italy it's 00 before the country code, in Japan it is 010. Does it work calling in the UK to enter 0044 prefix for internal UK calls? Because in Italy without the 00 preceding the country code, the call is not going to be connected.

The "011" from the US, "00" from Italy, etc, is known as the international dialling code. It's the code used by each country to enable access to international calls. And, as you point out, each country has its own international access code (though many have "00"). And then on top of that, each country has its own unique international access code ("1" for the USA, "44" for the UK, and so on).

If one is situated in Country A, and one wants to dial a phone in Country B, then one has to prefix the number with Country A's international dialling code, then Country B's international access code. So if you, in the US, wanted to call me in the UK, you'd have to prefix my number with "01144".

Mobile operators solved the problem of not knowing international dialling codes by introducing the universal prefix "+". So I can, for example, store a UK friend's number in my UK phone with the prefix "+44". Then, wherever I travel in the world with my phone, when I dial my friend's number, the network knows which country I am in and simply substitutes in that country's international dialling code for the "+" (so if I were in the US, it would substitute the "+" with "011", but if I were in Italy, it would substitute the "+" with "00", and so on).

But, contrary to Vixen's incorrect claims, if a contact is stored on my phone as, say, 0207289444 (a (mythical) London phone number), then I guarantee that if I travel anywhere outside the UK and dial that number, I will never reach my contact. I would have to have stored the number as +44207289444 for it to connect when my phone was outside the UK.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:40 PM   #2193
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
The two auto-aborted calls - to 901 (UK voicemail access) and the 0845 number (Abbey Bank) - actually took place at 9.58pm and 10.00pm. As you yourself stated so very eloquently in the opening paragraph of this very post: do read the Massei Report for further details........






Do you even know how mobile phone menus work?? In order for the known evidence to have taken place, a significant number of discrete steps must have taken place, over a period of at least two minutes (and this is the minimum number of steps that has to have taken place):

1) Button is pushed to access stored contacts
2) Button is pushed to select Voicemail 901
3) Button is pushed to dial Voicemail 901
Call auto-aborts
Over 1 minute elapses
4) Button is pushed to access stored contacts
5) Button is pushed to scroll from Voicemail 901 to Abbey
6) Button is pushed to select Abbey
7) Button is pushed to dial Abbey
Call auto-aborts

So a minimum of seven different button pushes, in a specific order, had to have taken place over a period of at least two minutes.

The evidence therefore suggests very strongly that this was NOT the product of any kind of scuffle/fight/struggle (both in terms of the necessary number of organised button pushes and the necessary elapsed time over which those button pushes took place), but was rather the product of someone interrogating Kercher's UK phone - probably with the aim of either turning it off or placing it onto a mute setting.

But hey..... why let the truth/evidence get in the way of a load of old cobblers and scientific illiteracy....?
Here is the itinery. The last one was circa 10:10, as I said, but thanks for once again trying to erroneously correct me.

Quote:
At 20:56, 21:58 and 22:00 on November 1st, dialing attempts were made on Ms. Kercher’s “English” phone. It is not clear whether these were intentional or accidental.
At 22:13 a cell phone internet connection was made on Ms. Kercher’s “English” cell phone for 8-9 seconds. It is not clear whether this was intended or not. (Latella 2009)
At 00:10 on November 2nd, Ms. Kercher's “English” cell phone received a call through a coverage route incompatible with the cottage, a coverage route which instead covered the garden of the villa 950 meters away from the cottage. (Latella 2009)
http://themurderofmeredithkercher.co...ellular_phones
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:41 PM   #2194
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Wrong again. Your phone stores your contacts, not your provider.

There are SO MANY levels of wrong in Vixen's posts about international dialling, stored numbers and phone networks over the past few hours - coupled with flat out "economical with the actualite" nonsense claims from personal experience. We're right back in ballistics trajectory theory territory again.....................
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:47 PM   #2195
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Here is the itinery. The last one was circa 10:10, as I said, but thanks for once again trying to erroneously correct me.

http://themurderofmeredithkercher.co...ellular_phones

Oh deary me.

You don't even know what that 22.13 event was???

I'll tell you: it wasn't in any way connected with the (auto-aborted) calls to 901 and the Abbey Bank (as you had falsely and incorrectly claimed....). It was actually the reception by Kercher's UK phone of an incoming multimedia message (MMS) - evidence shows that whoever had the phone in their possession at 22.13 (Guede) pressed to start the message download, then quickly aborted the download.

But, just for the record, let's remind ourselves of what you originally said about timings:

"Fact is, Abbey National was dialed on Mez' phone, but the connection aborted, as it was believed the country code was not entered - others that it needed further interface to connect. In any case, it took place at the cottage, circa 10:10pm..."

So you're stating that the call to Abbey "took place at the cottage, circa 10.10pm". And, as I correctly pointed out, you're wrong. The Abbey call actually took place at 10.00pm (preceded by the 901 call at 9.58pm). The 10.13pm event was something different altogether.

But congratulations on your "attack is the best form of defence" attempts to claim that it was I who made the embarrassing mistake, and not that - as was actually the case - it was YOU who made the embarrassing mistake! We've seen that so many times before on these pages, after all.....

(And "itinerary")
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:52 PM   #2196
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,924
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. Your claims are flat out wrong.

How do you know it was in her contact list? How do you know she didn't simply dial from memory? Why are you avoiding the fact that people remember numbers they commonly use for years? My parents are long dead, their numbers are not in my phone. I can still rattle them off without any effort.

One could choose that, or one could choose not to do so. People have this facility called "memory". Some of us use it.

So what? What is it that you think that signifies?

The levels of lying, ignorance, attempts to place the blame for mistakes onto others, and extraordinary chutzpah on display in this individual's "arguments" are genuinely astonishing. Disgusting and laughable in roughly equal amounts, an utter abomination of the notion of sincere, honest debate, and a pollution to the debate.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:54 PM   #2197
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Latella testifies as follows:

Quote:
At this point we analyzed the printout of the afternoon of 1 November of the English audience of Meredith Kercher who in fact was on board to a mobile phone that since in fact, as we said before, a Roming contract between the English manager and Wind, this phone traffic PROCEEDED precisely buckling to Wind cells. We see the phone call at 14:31 attaches to the cell Wind 3,302,055,620 that we see to be the cell that is attached to the back of the house, that is, from the window where he lived Meredith. Even the next call, to 15:01 locks into a Wind cell that is the one that is always at the height of the Meredith room window, and so on until at 15.55 we other communications of the English telephone and engages inside the cell, ends at 22:13 which in this case is not a phone, but it is a GPRS connection, a connection to ... it is not a voice call is a data connection, the cell serves this communication is 3,302,030,064 which as we see is still always detected by measurements made by us to the height of the Meredith's room window. So we can, we can say that from the hours 14.31 to 22.13 hours on the phone with 00447841131571 load will still was in Via della Pergola.
About Raff's phone: the expert confirms it was turned off between 8:42 and 6:02 next morning.

Quote:
Yes, we have done this, we took a month of traffic which is a period that we consider adequate to back in principle to the habits of a person, and we noticed that the phone is normally used during the night is rarely turned off, but putting along the logoff time with the logon hours, and we note and the only time in a month when the phone is turned off at 20:42 pm ..., that does not generate traffic from 20:42 pm to 6:02 hours in the morning. See for example the day before it resumes at 9 am and is turned off at midnight, the day before is still activated at noon and is switched off around midnight. The day before at 8:20 in the morning and turned off after midnight and so on. Instead the only day that is turned on at a time, at 6 in the morning is this, there are other times when the phone is switched on in a month at 6am.
http://themurderofmeredithkercher.co...%27s_Testimony
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:57 PM   #2198
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 762
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Please don't quote me out of context. This was in the context of religion and your claim to be superior, as an atheist.

The evidence shows, Mez snubbed Amanda over Halloween, she got off with handsome ski-aficionado Giacomo (and noted to a friend that Amanda irritated her by saying, 'You can have him', as though she had first choice), and immediately before the murder, Patrick told her not to come in.

Remembering how Mez had shaken a mean mojito and Patrick had demoted Amanda to handing out flyers, and how Mez had gone out yet again that afternoon with friends with barely a backward glance or inviting Amanada, we can see how Amanda's envy and resentment got the better of her.

No motive? I don't think so.
Oh dear lord, lying and misleading is becoming a habit with you.

Meredith did not snub Amanda, she replied back and said she already had dinner plans. She WAS allowed to make plans without inviting Amanda.

Amanda was completely infatuated with Raffaele. Giacomo wasn't a factor.

Lumumba told Amanda not to bother coming in because there was no business that night.

No indication of envy or resentment. No motive. Even the prosecution came up with better lame ideas than that.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:59 PM   #2199
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Maaselkä Mielessäni
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
The levels of lying, ignorance, attempts to place the blame for mistakes onto others, and extraordinary chutzpah on display in this individual's "arguments" are genuinely astonishing. Disgusting and laughable in roughly equal amounts, an utter abomination of the notion of sincere, honest debate, and a pollution to the debate.
You are the 'pollution' to this debate - claiming that Rudy is to blame for everything.

So the aborted connection to Abbey National becomes, 'That was Rudy trying out the bank but forgot the country code'.

There is zero evidence it was anything of the sort.

We do know as a SCIENTIFIC FACT that both Amanda and Raff turned off their phones for the duration of the murder.
__________________
Enkä mä muille ilmoita
mun sydänsurujani;
synkkä metsä, kirkas taivas,
ne tuntee mun huoliani.

Last edited by Vixen; 20th March 2017 at 05:11 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 05:05 PM   #2200
Numbers
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,021
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
There are SO MANY levels of wrong in Vixen's posts about international dialling, stored numbers and phone networks over the past few hours - coupled with flat out "economical with the actualite" nonsense claims from personal experience. We're right back in ballistics trajectory theory territory again.....................
Yes! Long live the PGP New Physics! It's almost as good as SNL!
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.