ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th December 2014, 01:36 PM   #161
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Your argument makes no sense. What if someone took away all of Bill Gates money and burned it. Now Bill Gates has no money.

How many poor people are better off?

We already have redistribution of wealth in the US. It's called Medicaid, Food Stamps and Cash Welfare.
Well if Gates have 30 billions dollars it means there got to be 3 millions poors to back him up.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 01:51 PM   #162
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Well if Gates have 30 billions dollars it means there got to be 3 millions poors to back him up.
So if we burn up his 30 billion dollars then 3 million would no longer be poor?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 02:02 PM   #163
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Well if Gates have 30 billions dollars it means there got to be 3 millions poors to back him up.
No that is not true. Believe me, Bill Gates did not make his fortune from the "poors". And taking away his money won't do anything for the "poors".

It seems you have a personal crusade against the rich for some reason.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 02:07 PM   #164
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,986
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
I ran this through the weird religion translator and it still came back as "insane". Do you have any arguments that make sense?
In all due fairness, English is not Gaetan's first language, so I was prepared to cut some slack.

Gaetan has long since gone way beyond any slack I am prepared to cut.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 02:10 PM   #165
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
In all due fairness, English is not Gaetan's first language, so I was prepared to cut some slack.

Gaetan has long since gone way beyond any slack I am prepared to cut.
I know, I wasn't commenting on his misuse of English. I was commenting on the lack of sanity in his argument.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 02:31 PM   #166
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
No that is not true. Believe me, Bill Gates did not make his fortune from the "poors". And taking away his money won't do anything for the "poors".

It seems you have a personal crusade against the rich for some reason.
Taking his 30 billion dollars and giving it to poors would do something good to them, don't you think so? That why rich go to hell, because they are responsable for the misery of poors, because of that injustice.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 02:37 PM   #167
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Taking his 30 billion dollars and giving it to poors would do something good to them, don't you think so? That why rich go to hell, because they are responsable for the misery of poors, because of that injustice.
I guess you've never heard of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?

And why should someone who earned their money honestly have it taken and given to someone else?
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2014, 03:00 PM   #168
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Taking his 30 billion dollars and giving it to poors would do something good to them, don't you think so? That why rich go to hell, because they are responsable for the misery of poors, because of that injustice.
How much money did Adam and Eve have? Won't you be honest and answer the question?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2014, 06:40 AM   #169
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
And why should someone who earned their money honestly have it taken and given to someone else?
Legally because the laws are made by rich for rich, to increase their profit, but not honestly. How can it be honest to sell a product more, even 2 or 3 times, than it cost to produce. How can it be honest to make profit?

Last edited by Gaetan; 25th December 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2014, 07:06 AM   #170
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Legally because the laws are made by rich for rich, to increase their profit, but not honestly. How can it be honest to sell a product more, even 2 or 3 times, than it cost to produce. How can it be honest to make profit?
Since you bring up honesty, won't you answer the question that has been asked so many times? Won't you be honest and answer it?

How much money did Adam and Eve have?

You want to be honest, don't you?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2014, 10:04 AM   #171
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Legally because the laws are made by rich for rich, to increase their profit, but not honestly. How can it be honest to sell a product more, even 2 or 3 times, than it cost to produce. How can it be honest to make profit?
If a product is priced too high, people won't buy it. It's called supply and demand. You seem to not understand the most basic principles of the economy and how it works. It is not a zero sum game.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2014, 12:45 PM   #172
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
If a product is priced too high, people won't buy it. It's called supply and demand. You seem to not understand the most basic principles of the economy and how it works. It is not a zero sum game.
The most basic principles of the enonomy and how it works is collusion, this has been explained to you.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2014, 12:56 PM   #173
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The most basic principles of the enonomy and how it works is collusion, this has been explained to you.
How is anyone taking part in collusion?

It sounds more like your ideas about how the economy works is delusion.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2014, 04:51 PM   #174
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,986
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The most basic principles of the enonomy and how it works is collusion, this has been explained to you.
No. You have made unsupported assertions without supporting anything. If you wish to claim whatever it is you wish to claim, please provide the evidence for your claim. So far all you have provided is superstitious nonsense. Please do not appeal to your prior superstitious nonsense arguments, it will not fly.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2014, 06:38 PM   #175
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The most basic principles of the enonomy and how it works is collusion, this has been explained to you.
No, you've simply stated it and were shown to be comically wrong. Did you have any rational arguments to make?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2014, 10:27 AM   #176
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
No, you've simply stated it and were shown to be comically wrong. Did you have any rational arguments to make?
You wrote about 1000 posts on the subject and all you fellow says as others is that i am wrong without providing any argument while i provided a udge amount.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2014, 10:44 AM   #177
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You wrote about 1000 posts on the subject and all you fellow says as others is that i am wrong without providing any argument while i provided a udge amount.
No, you've simply made pronouncements based on your weird religious superstitions and have been proven to be comically wrong. Then you continue to dishonestly ignore the questions which prove how wrong you are.

Won't you be honest and answer?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2014, 04:52 PM   #178
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You wrote about 1000 posts on the subject and all you fellow says as others is that i am wrong without providing any argument while i provided a udge amount.
Gaetan,

The things you did post never showed evidence that our society is better off without money or that some worldwide redistribution of money is practical.

You've made many assertions but provided no concrete evidence to support your theory.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2014, 06:28 PM   #179
stevea
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,030
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
How can you say that there is an infinite amount of money, like the universe, people can use.
I NEVER said that or anything like it - tho' it's roughly true. We can continue to create value *almost* w/o limit - so we increase wealth vastly. In fact that is exactly what has taken place in the past century.

Quote:
Poor doesn't seems to have a piece of it, They don't have money, where is it?
Repeating a fallacy doesn't make it true.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefi...verty-2030-not

Wealth is on the increase, poverty on the decrease. Wealth of one doesn't generally cause the poverty of another.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2014, 06:48 PM   #180
stevea
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,030
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Taking his[Bill Gates] 30 billion dollars and giving it to poors would do something good to them, don't you think so? That why rich go to hell, because they are responsable for the misery of poors, because of that injustice.
No - there is no responsibility or injustice except in your imagination.

Bill Gates did NOT get wealthy by taking money from the poor. He got wealthy by offering products to customers who believed the product value was greater than the product cost. So in each transaction, the customer was (or expected to be) better off, and also Bill Gates or MicroSoft was better off too. It's a characteristic of free market exchanges that each party benefits, or else the transaction would never take place.

--
Taking Gates "money" (meaning wealth) takes away the incentive for Mr.Gates to participate in making others wealthy and better off. Why try to succeed when some GaetanGovernment steals all the profit ? You would kill the golden goose for envy.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 10:29 AM   #181
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
No - there is no responsibility or injustice except in your imagination.

Bill Gates did NOT get wealthy by taking money from the poor. He got wealthy by offering products to customers who believed the product value was greater than the product cost. So in each transaction, the customer was (or expected to be) better off, and also Bill Gates or MicroSoft was better off too. It's a characteristic of free market exchanges that each party benefits, or else the transaction would never take place.

--
Taking Gates "money" (meaning wealth) takes away the incentive for Mr.Gates to participate in making others wealthy and better off. Why try to succeed when some GaetanGovernment steals all the profit ? You would kill the golden goose for envy.
Gaetan thinks he's some modern version of Robin Hood. Take money from the rich and give to the poor. As if that will solve the inequity he perceives.
However, Gaetan's plan is severely flawed for the multitude of reasons listed on this very thread.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 05:01 PM   #182
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Would you smart fellows tell me where is the money, poors and middle class don't have any. Then as rich have all the money, they are responsible for billions of poor and miserable people, they'll end their life in hell as Jesus said in the story of the rich and Lazar, not because they are rich, but because if they would be poor they would ask for help, because of their injustice. Then we got to abolish this unequal crual system, not only to save poors but rich as well.

Last edited by Gaetan; 31st December 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 05:36 PM   #183
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Would you smart fellows tell me where is the money, poors and middle class don't have any. Then as rich have all the money, they are responsible for billions of poor and miserable people, they'll end their life in hell as Jesus said in the story of the rich and Lazar, not because they are rich, but because if they would be poor they would ask for help, because of their injustice. Then we got to abolish this unequal crual system, not only to save poors but rich as well.
The poor and middle class have money, at least in the US. The rich do not have all the money. Why would a rich man be responsible for those who are poor? Have you ever thought that some people are poor not because of circumstances but because of poor choices?

Two wrongs don't make something right. Simply taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor won't solve the problems you talk about. It would only be a band aid (temporary solution).
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2015, 01:46 PM   #184
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Would you smart fellows tell me where is the money, poors and middle class don't have any. Then as rich have all the money,
As your premise is factually incorrect, so are your weird religious conclusions.

Won't you finally be honest and answer the questions asked of you?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2015, 02:27 AM   #185
Astreja
Springy Goddess
 
Astreja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Would you smart fellows tell me where is the money, poors and middle class don't have any.
I'm middle class. I have money.

I also think hell is a myth.
__________________
Reality is a theory, not a hypothesis.
Astreja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2015, 02:35 AM   #186
Tomtomkent
Philosopher
 
Tomtomkent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,022
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Would you smart fellows tell me where is the money, poors and middle class don't have any.
What, none at all?

How rich can a middle class person be and still be considered to have no money? As I believe I may well now be middle class, but I happen to have a healthy income of money.
__________________
@tomhodden

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2015, 11:35 AM   #187
Tippit
Master Poster
 
Tippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,468
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Repeating a fallacy doesn't make it true.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefi...verty-2030-not

Wealth is on the increase, poverty on the decrease. Wealth of one doesn't generally cause the poverty of another.
First of all, I hate you for causing me to register a post to what is one of the dumbest threads on this forum. But I think you made a comment that needs to be refuted, not only because you wrote a post worth responding to, but because you are wrong.

All economic transactions can be thought of as occurring on a continuum. At one edge of the continuum, you have value added transactions. These are mutually beneficial, voluntary transactions for which value accrues to both parties. Examples include anything which is bought and sold voluntarily, and for which every aspect of the supply chain of production of each good in the transaction was produced using labor that was obtained free of coercion, and money that was earned, not counterfeited or stolen. Such transactions increase overall wealth dramatically because they "compel" (non-coercively, but out of recognized mutual benefit) everyone to add value for everyone else.

At the other end of the continuum, you have rent-seeking. Examples of this would be taxation, extortion, robbery, fraud, fiat money, counterfeiting, and graft. All of these types of transactions are either non-voluntary, or involve some kind of coercion or deception, and the net result is that these are not value additive, but merely transfer value (wealth) from one party to another. This also includes otherwise legitimate rent from property which was acquired by illegitimate means, for example, stolen or expropriated real-estate, bonds purchased with fiat or counterfeit money, etc...

So to state categorically that "wealth is on the increase" while billions live in abject poverty, is false. It is rent-seeking that is on the increase. To state that wealth of one doesn't generally cause the poverty of another is false, given the prevalence of rent-seeking transactions over value-added transactions.

I think a lot of the political polarization in the so-called liberal-conservative false paradigm could be avoided if, for instance, "liberals" acknowledged that governments are rent-seekers, and if, for instance, "conservatives" acknowledged that most of wall street, the financial sector, and those espousing "globalization" are rent-seekers.
__________________
"The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks."
- Lord Acton
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2015, 03:51 PM   #188
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
What, none at all?

How rich can a middle class person be and still be considered to have no money? As I believe I may well now be middle class, but I happen to have a healthy income of money.
The majority of society is most likely the middle class and they have money. I'm not sure why Gaetan seems to think that the rich have money and nobody else has any.

And Gaetan has not been able to provide evidence that removing money from society would be beneficial to anyone.

Say there's a tribe in Africa that's struggling. Now we remove Bill Gates' wealth. How does that tribe in Africa receive any benefit?
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2015, 07:09 AM   #189
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
The majority of society is most likely the middle class and they have money. I'm not sure why Gaetan seems to think that the rich have money and nobody else has any.
The rich shows you see on TV or the rich artists they talk about all the time is not a clear situation of what is real. What is real is that the majority has a hard time to pay their bills, their debts, and feed their family.

Quote:
And Gaetan has not been able to provide evidence that removing money from society would be beneficial to anyone.
I provided a wide evidence that money is a stop for 99% of people in the world to have a better life because it ruins their dreams, their spirituality and have them live in pauverty because it needs investments that never come to buy ressources to build their cities, infrastructures, schools, goods, food, and develop their countries.

Quote:
Say there's a tribe in Africa that's struggling. Now we remove Bill Gates' wealth. How does that tribe in Africa receive any benefit?
What he does is good but would you call good that the day before the end of the world that few families or the only individual who has that money system going gives some cookies and water to poors. Yes it is, but peoples deserve more in their live. When i take good meals and food of people from one hand and i give back cookies and water with the other hand would you call that good enough.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2015, 07:39 AM   #190
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The rich shows you see on TV or the rich artists they talk about all the time is not a clear situation of what is real. What is real is that the majority has a hard time to pay their bills, their debts, and feed their family.
No, that isn't true of the majority.

Quote:
I provided a wide evidence that money is a stop for 99% of people in the world to have a better life because it ruins their dreams, their spirituality and have them live in pauverty because it needs investments that never come to buy ressources to build their cities, infrastructures, schools, goods, food, and develop their countries.
No, you provided evidence that money is good. Every link you've provided has shown that money does good in the world.

What is "spirituality"?

Quote:
What he does is good but would you call good that the day before the end of the world that few families or the only individual who has that money system going gives some cookies and water to poors. Yes it is, but peoples deserve more in their live. When i take good meals and food of people from one hand and i give back cookies and water with the other hand would you call that good enough.
This seems to be some fantasy conjured up by your weird religious diatribes. Now answer the question you were asked: Taking away all of Bill Gates' money will help feed starving people in Africa by ________________________?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2015, 01:01 PM   #191
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The rich shows you see on TV or the rich artists they talk about all the time is not a clear situation of what is real. What is real is that the majority has a hard time to pay their bills, their debts, and feed their family.
If the majority has a hard time paying their bills, is that a lack of money or simply consuming too much and having debt? When I see "poor" people living in tribes, I see them gathering food but they seem pretty happy. I doubt that giving them paper with green symbols printed on them will make them happier.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
I provided a wide evidence that money is a stop for 99% of people in the world to have a better life because it ruins their dreams, their spirituality and have them live in pauverty because it needs investments that never come to buy ressources to build their cities, infrastructures, schools, goods, food, and develop their countries.
Actually, what you've done is show how efficient and useful it is to have money.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
What he does is good but would you call good that the day before the end of the world that few families or the only individual who has that money system going gives some cookies and water to poors. Yes it is, but peoples deserve more in their live. When i take good meals and food of people from one hand and i give back cookies and water with the other hand would you call that good enough.
You didn't answer my question. If we took away Bill Gates' money and burned it, that would help poor people how?
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2015, 04:43 PM   #192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,883
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
First of all, I hate you for causing me to register a post to what is one of the dumbest threads on this forum. But I think you made a comment that needs to be refuted, not only because you wrote a post worth responding to, but because you are wrong.

All economic transactions can be thought of as occurring on a continuum. At one edge of the continuum, you have value added transactions. These are mutually beneficial, voluntary transactions for which value accrues to both parties. Examples include anything which is bought and sold voluntarily, and for which every aspect of the supply chain of production of each good in the transaction was produced using labor that was obtained free of coercion, and money that was earned, not counterfeited or stolen. Such transactions increase overall wealth dramatically because they "compel" (non-coercively, but out of recognized mutual benefit) everyone to add value for everyone else.

At the other end of the continuum, you have rent-seeking. Examples of this would be taxation, extortion, robbery, fraud, fiat money, counterfeiting, and graft. All of these types of transactions are either non-voluntary, or involve some kind of coercion or deception, and the net result is that these are not value additive, but merely transfer value (wealth) from one party to another. This also includes otherwise legitimate rent from property which was acquired by illegitimate means, for example, stolen or expropriated real-estate, bonds purchased with fiat or counterfeit money, etc...

So to state categorically that "wealth is on the increase" while billions live in abject poverty, is false. It is rent-seeking that is on the increase. To state that wealth of one doesn't generally cause the poverty of another is false, given the prevalence of rent-seeking transactions over value-added transactions.

I think a lot of the political polarization in the so-called liberal-conservative false paradigm could be avoided if, for instance, "liberals" acknowledged that governments are rent-seekers, and if, for instance, "conservatives" acknowledged that most of wall street, the financial sector, and those espousing "globalization" are rent-seekers.
Actually this rant on economics fits right in with the rest of this thread......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2015, 06:38 PM   #193
stevea
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,030
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
First of all, I hate you for causing me to register a post to what is one of the dumbest threads on this forum.
+1, apologies, this is a dreadfully stupid thread.

Quote:
But I think you made a comment that needs to be refuted, not only because you wrote a post worth responding to, but because you are wrong.
Unsurprisingly I disagree.

Quote:
[....]So to state categorically that "wealth is on the increase" while billions live in abject poverty, is false.
I don't think you've considered the facts. If you compare the std of living, education & opportunities and the absolute numbers of the poor - the stats have improved dramatically in the past 50 years. A lot of the credit goes to China making it;s markets more-free then others being forced to follow.

Of course in the US you are "poor" if you only have basic cable and a dumb cell phone and a household living space of 1200sf, but that is not poor by 1960 or world standards.

But wrt to the worldwide figures ..
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-w...-place-2014-10
Less war, less poverty, more education, more trade.
The trend is quite good.

I agree that rent-seeking is a real & serious problem, but it's always been with us, and hasn't shown any signs of overwhelming the advantage of relatively free-er markets. I agree that it make little difference if a mafia want extra protection money, or if Barney Fwank wants to tax fuel extra now that prices are down.


Quote:
I think a lot of the political polarization in the so-called liberal-conservative false paradigm could be avoided if, for instance, "liberals" acknowledged that governments are rent-seekers, and if, for instance, "conservatives" acknowledged that most of wall street, the financial sector, and those espousing "globalization" are rent-seekers.
The most interesting comment on this thread IMO. It's a false characterization, as well as paradigm.

Liberals are just as effective at private sector rent-seeking as the Right in recent years, probably morese. Anyone interested can use opensecrets.org and see that Reps get more funds from oil+gas,securities,insurance&small-mfgrs, but Dems exceed them handily in private-sector-unions,law-firms,public-unions,environmental-biz, entertainment-industry ....

And neither has much credibility as a opponent to "government rent-seeking" as you characterize it. The Liberals seem to believe that the solution to every problem is more regulation and more government involvement. The Right seem to think that every pr*ck with an AK-47 is a casus belli for hundreds of billions, and both sides hold the self-interested POV the the job of government citizens be destroying their civil rights (which does have an economic impact). Both sides promote centralization of decisions which necessarily produce market inefficiency. What a world!

It's not that the two parties are the same, it's that they are equally vile.

Last edited by stevea; 14th January 2015 at 06:44 PM.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2015, 05:50 AM   #194
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
If the majority has a hard time paying their bills, is that a lack of money or simply consuming too much and having debt? When I see "poor" people living in tribes, I see them gathering food but they seem pretty happy. I doubt that giving them paper with green symbols printed on them will make them happier.
What you said is that an islamist being tortured in Guantalamo can be happy if his guardian leave him alone for a while.



Quote:
Actually, what you've done is show how efficient and useful it is to have money.
Could you make any comments to justifiy what you said.



Quote:
You didn't answer my question. If we took away Bill Gates' money and burned it, that would help poor people how?
This is not what i said, what i said is to take money from rich and redistribute it to poors or just abolish this evil system which is the same.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2015, 06:59 AM   #195
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
What you said is that an islamist being tortured in Guantalamo can be happy if his guardian leave him alone for a while.
No, what you said is that taking away Bill Gates' money would make the terrorists happy.

Quote:
Could you make any comments to justifiy what you said.
Yes, all of your comments justify what everyone else says. Did you bother reading any of the links you posted?

Quote:
This is not what i said, what i said is to take money from rich and redistribute it to poors or just abolish this evil system which is the same.
And what has already been said is that redistribution already happens. You've never explained how taking away Bill Gates' (or anyone else's) money incentive to innovate would work.

Under your weird religious scheme of no money, if everything is without a monetary cost, why should anyone work? (Note that I didn't say that anything is free. As you should know by now since you've been taught it in this thread, everything has a cost.)
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2015, 10:46 AM   #196
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,293
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I hope Gaetan has finally seen the error in his ways.
No, he won't. Of course he won't.

Seriously, people, I warned you.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2015, 10:46 PM   #197
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
What you said is that an islamist being tortured in Guantalamo can be happy if his guardian leave him alone for a while.

Could you make any comments to justifiy what you said.

This is not what i said, what i said is to take money from rich and redistribute it to poors or just abolish this evil system which is the same.
I never said anything about islamists. I said some people are "poor" because of bad choices, laziness and sometimes, bad circumstances. In the US, almost 50% of the population is getting food stamps or some other entitlement. While the intentions might be good, the result is a lazy society who would rather collect from the government without contributing. We should as what we can do for our country instead of the other way around. We are empowering the lazy and unmotivated. Who will work when they don't have to?

You take Bill Gates vast fortune and it will turn out to be something like $8 to $10 for each "poor" person in the world. How will that solve any problems?

They will take the money and spend it and be just as poor hours later. What will some poor person living in the wilderness do with $10? Use it to start a fire?

Seriously Gaetan, you need to re-think your silly plan.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2015, 01:39 PM   #198
Gaetan
Master Poster
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I never said anything about islamists. I said some people are "poor" because of bad choices, laziness and sometimes, bad circumstances. In the US, almost 50% of the population is getting food stamps or some other entitlement. While the intentions might be good, the result is a lazy society who would rather collect from the government without contributing. We should as what we can do for our country instead of the other way around. We are empowering the lazy and unmotivated. Who will work when they don't have to?
If people are in bad situation is because some have too much money then the majority don't have enough money, no redistribution.

Quote:
You take Bill Gates vast fortune and it will turn out to be something like $8 to $10 for each "poor" person in the world. How will that solve any problems?
Just doing this would have billions of consumers and create millions of jobs to fulfill their need, it is a start but we got to do more.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2015, 02:30 PM   #199
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 27,918
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
If people are in bad situation is because some have too much money then the majority don't have enough money, no redistribution.
But people aren't in a bad situation because Bill Gates has money. Your premise is again wrong, which I suspect you knew already, so your weird religious conclusion is also wrong.

Quote:
Just doing this would have billions of consumers and create millions of jobs to fulfill their need, it is a start but we got to do more.
No it wouldn't. You've simply made another unsupported assertion from your weird religious dogmatism.

Do you have any rational arguments to make?

Last edited by RoboTimbo; 16th January 2015 at 02:31 PM.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2015, 04:05 PM   #200
Joecool
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,081
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
If people are in bad situation is because some have too much money then the majority don't have enough money, no redistribution.
Some people having a lot of money isn't causing some people to be lazy. Redistribution is going to cause people to sit back and expect handouts. That's why we have record numbers of people on welfare. Why work two jobs when I can just sit back and let the government dole out the benefits?
Why go to school? Just cut class and smoke weed. When I get older, the government will redistribute some money to me.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Just doing this would have billions of consumers and create millions of jobs to fulfill their need, it is a start but we got to do more.
How is taking away Bill Gates money going to result in more jobs? What a silly thing to assert.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.