ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Closed Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 11:50 AM   #41
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Years? Your OP states that it will hit the market within a year. Time is of the essence!
They will hit the market in a year, but it will take a few years to ramp up production.

They will take over the energy market much like cell phones took over the phone market. It will happen quickly, but not overnight.
michaelsuede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 11:55 AM   #42
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by michaelsuede View Post
Investment capital is limited. Obviously Mills made the right choice when he decided to focus on SunCell development rather than taking the CHIT cell to market.

Yes, because obviously dominating the energy industry for the last 8 years would have been completely worthless.

Because obviously he couldn't have just sold the rights to the earlier device to one of his many supporters or investors, and let them take the commercial risks over the last 8 years.

And this of course perfectly explains the (at least) 3 other times he's made these sorts of announcements, including at least one in the period in which he's so cleverly working on this device which is only just now ready for deployment (this year for sure!).

Yes, believing all of that is far more sensible than assuming he's been full of **** this whole time.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:57 AM   #43
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
<snip>
Nonetheless I am not asking for any investment in Galactic Core at this time. But I do have money-printing machine that members here can purchase of $99.98 (buy before midnight tonight and I will include a second one free, plus shipping and handling). They produce absolutely authentic USA currency from plain paper with no limits. I wish I did not have to, but I must sell these money printers: I need the quick cash.
<snip>
If you need quick cash, why not just print it with the money printers?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 11:58 AM   #44
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's been making the exact same "This year for sure!" claims every few years for literally decades now. At what point do you start assuming he's more likely wrong than more likely right?
OK, let's try to be fair here. Mills is an MD. Naturally, he's used to getting paid huge piles of money for delivering absolutely no results whatsoever.

The important thing is his bedside manner. Does he make me feel all warm and fuzzy? Sure he does. I want to believe in low/no cost energy for all. I want to solve the world's problems too.

As a doctor, he knows we are all mortal. Extend the deadline and watch early adopters die off from old age. All of us mortal, most of us stupid. It's only natural that a highly trained, very intelligent person should freely prey on us schmucks. I for one will gladly expose my throat to the sweet-talking wolf. If not Dr. Mills, then some other.

Last edited by marplots; 9th January 2017 at 12:00 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:00 PM   #45
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Yes, because obviously dominating the energy industry for the last 8 years would have been completely worthless.

Because obviously he couldn't have just sold the rights to the earlier device to one of his many supporters or investors, and let them take the commercial risks over the last 8 years.

And this of course perfectly explains the (at least) 3 other times he's made these sorts of announcements, including at least one in the period in which he's so cleverly working on this device which is only just now ready for deployment (this year for sure!).

Yes, believing all of that is far more sensible than assuming he's been full of **** this whole time.

Ok.

Don't believe me.

We'll find out who is right, just like we found out who was right about Bitcoin.
michaelsuede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:01 PM   #46
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yeah, I stated in the OP that there would be plenty of naysayers who haven't done their homework claiming what you just claimed.

You also, rather arrogantly, assume that "naysayers" haven't also been following BLP all this time.
Old 9th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #47
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

They will hit the market in a year, but it will take a few years to ramp up production.

They will take over the energy market much like cell phones took over the phone market. It will happen quickly, but not overnight.
But cell phones didn't take over the phone market, at least not in the way you are talking about. I still pay for phone service. I pay the same people as before.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #48
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Ok.

Don't believe me.

We'll find out who is right, just like we found out who was right about Bitcoin.

Are you willing to make a bet on this? I am.
Old 9th January 2017, 12:07 PM   #49
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Are you willing to make a bet on this? I am.
Terms?

Amount?
Old 9th January 2017, 12:14 PM   #50
phunk
Illuminator

Ok.

Don't believe me.

Well since you've made your millions in bitcoin already, would you like to make a small wager on whether or not BLP ever actually succeeds in anything other than ripping off investors?

*ETA: guess I'm not the only one who thought this
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:22 PM   #51
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Terms?

Amount?

You said in the OP: "I'm here to let you know that free energy generators will be hitting the market within a year".

So, I say that BLP will not have any (working!) "free energy generators" on the market by the 9th of January, 2018.

How does $100 sound?
Old 9th January 2017, 12:42 PM   #52
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

You said in the OP: "I'm here to let you know that free energy generators will be hitting the market within a year".

So, I say that BLP will not have any (working!) "free energy generators" on the market by the 9th of January, 2018.

How does $100 sound?
According to Columbia Tech, they will be field testing in 6 months and be ready for production 6 months after that. So I would not take that bet without a six month window for design modifications.

I'd wager a $100 they will have production units installed in customers businesses within 1.5 years for sure. Cutting it to a year is too close to Columbia Tech's projected timeline.

So what exactly constitutes "hitting the market" according to you? They plan on initially leasing units to fixed businesses like restaurants or manufacturing centers, then moving on to setting up leasing centers in the same fashion as the solar market for residential is setup now.

So they might not offer public leases for sale like a car dealership at first, but rather negotiate with individual businesses for lease terms. If we go by my metric of units installed in customer's business, would a fully functional prototype installation count?
Old 9th January 2017, 12:42 PM   #53
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.....I base my views off evidence, that makes me a crackpot according to you. Conversely, I think people who base their beliefs off hopes and dreams are crackpots.
For a start, I don't do beliefs. Secondly, hope is OK, and dreams are stuff you have at night asleep. Finally, my world view is evidence based. I've actually worked on some climate science evidence myself, so I happen to know that you are wrong and the rest of the world is right on that one. The rest of the guff you advocate isn't based on evidence at all, and your idea that this free-energy crap is evidence based is beyond laughable.

I ask again, why would you think that anyone here has any interest in makey-uppie bollocks about "free energy"? Is your am just self-promotion? Oh, and how many Bitcoins have you personally invested in this scam?

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:44 PM   #54
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

How does $100 sound?
How about betting the amount he made off Bitcoin?
Old 9th January 2017, 12:58 PM   #55
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Has everyone forgotten Andrea RossiWP and his energy catalyser? Alas, not producing useful power ... yet!
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:59 PM   #56
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

According to Columbia Tech, they will be field testing in 6 months and be ready for production 6 months after that. So I would not take that bet without a six month window for design modifications.

I'd wager a $100 they will have production units installed in customers businesses within 1.5 years for sure. Cutting it to a year is too close to Columbia Tech's projected timeline.

So what exactly constitutes "hitting the market" according to you? They plan on initially leasing units to fixed businesses like restaurants or manufacturing centers, then moving on to setting up leasing centers in the same fashion as the solar market for residential is setup now.

So they might not offer public leases for sale like a car dealership at first, but rather negotiate with individual businesses for lease terms. If we go by my metric of units installed in customer's business, would a fully functional prototype installation count?

With regards to that last question, I would say "no".

"So what exactly constitutes "hitting the market" according to you?"

I'd say, a commercial product freely available to at least one segment of the open market not associated with BLP (other than as customers, obviously), that are installed and independently operating to the satisfaction of the customer. "Installed and independently operating to the satisfaction of the customer" would have to be determined by unambiguous statements from such customers for some significant period following the installation.

A "prototype" installation could still be a fraud, if people associated with BLP still have routine access to it.

The "unambiguous statements" and "some significant period following the installation" would be required, because there have been previous cases where BLP has claimed to have signed contracts for their devices, to much rejoicing in the initial press releases, only to have such sales disappear down the memory hole, as the customer doesn't want to advertise that they were scammed.

I'll grant you the extra 6 months. So, July 9, 2018?
Old 9th January 2017, 12:59 PM   #57
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you can listen to this guy, or you can see it run with your own two eyes. The reactor can achieve a self-sustaining mode when the silver vapor pressure becomes adequate. Meaning you can shut off all external power to the reactor and the reaction will sustain itself. Here's a video looking into the reactor demonstrating this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBheBH9eio
We've seen videos of dozens, maybe hundreds, of free energy devices working.

So what?

When do we see one actually and openly in service?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 9th January 2017 at 01:01 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 01:00 PM   #58
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Finally, my world view is evidence based.
No.

Unfortunately it's not.
Old 9th January 2017, 01:02 PM   #59
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Has everyone forgotten Andrea RossiWP and his energy catalyser? Alas, not producing useful power ... yet!

Pfft. Rossi's a piker compared to BLP! He's been pulling his scam for what, maybe a decade now? Pfft I say!
Old 9th January 2017, 01:05 PM   #60
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Yeah, I stated in the OP that there would be plenty of naysayers who haven't done their homework claiming what you just claimed.

Mills did have a product ready to go commercial back in 2009. This product was called the CHIT cell. This was a much bulkier, far less powerful, far more expensive type of generator.

Mills decided against taking this to market after discovering new novel properties of the hydrino that allowed for far greater amounts of energy to be produced around the time the CHIT cell was being planned for production.

Rather than spend the money on a commercial launch of the CIHT cell, Mills decided to spend his investment capital on further research. This eventually lead to the creation of the SunCell type generator described in the OP.

For comparison, the CHIT cell prototype generator was producing 10 watts of continuous power. The SunCell prototype reactor is dumping out 1 million watts continuous power, with a planned 100 kw generator output.

Investment capital is limited. Obviously Mills made the right choice when he decided to focus on SunCell development rather than taking the CHIT cell to market.
I don't think this CHIT passes the sniff test.
Old 9th January 2017, 01:08 PM   #61
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

No.

Unfortunately it's not.
As you know nothing of my world views, your dismissal of them is simply a matter of belief, demonstrating (as if such were needed) that you don't require evidence before you formulate an opinion.

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 01:09 PM   #62
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Columbia Tech is a contract manufacturer. That doesn't mean that what they've contracted to manufacture actually works. They just manufacture whatever they are hired to manufacture, according to the plans and specs provided.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 01:51 PM   #63
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

But as you know the effect on the stock market of this "new discovery" will greatly precede its actual establishment in the energy market. Even a believable rumor, let alone the strong evidence that you claim to cite, should make the other energy stocks plummet virtually immediately. Investors in the stock market seek to get in (and out) early before the nitty-gritty of the actual products make it all a done deal and "past history." The discovery of a large metal ore deposit by one company drops the stocks of competing companies long before the ore is actually mined and sold. My own improbability scheme, once made public and people see how believable it is, should tear the heart out of almost all other established energy companies with days!

As I indicated, I don't take your posts seriously. But if you do believe in this scheme I wish you luck! If it is as you claim true this time (as opposed to all the other times over the past decades this brilliant invention was just a matter of months from successful commercialization) you should start planning for your string of vacation homes and exotic sports car purchases.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 01:57 PM   #64
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Mills did have a product ready to go commercial back in 2009. This product was called the CHIT cell. This was a much bulkier, far less powerful, far more expensive type of generator.

Mills decided against taking this to market after discovering new novel properties of the hydrino that allowed for far greater amounts of energy to be produced around the time the CHIT cell was being planned for production.

Rather than spend the money on a commercial launch of the CIHT cell, Mills decided to spend his investment capital on further research. This eventually lead to the creation of the SunCell type generator described in the OP.

For comparison, the CHIT cell prototype generator was producing 10 watts of continuous power. The SunCell prototype reactor is dumping out 1 million watts continuous power, with a planned 100 kw generator output.

I bet he will not stop here! He will soon discover an even more improved approach with still greater output, smaller, cheaper, etc. Don't be too shocked if the commercialization date therefore slips even further. Don't stop with just good enough- wait for perfect! That is the way one real product development and commercialization works- right? The best things, including investments, come to those who wait...

Last edited by Giordano; 9th January 2017 at 02:00 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 02:01 PM   #65
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Ok.

Don't believe me.

No need to wait- we already found out who is right in regard to the Brilliant Light Power scheme. See the posts in this thread.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:02 PM   #66
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
OK, let's try to be fair here. Mills is an MD. Naturally, he's used to getting paid huge piles of money for delivering absolutely no results whatsoever.

The important thing is his bedside manner. Does he make me feel all warm and fuzzy? Sure he does. I want to believe in low/no cost energy for all. I want to solve the world's problems too.

As a doctor, he knows we are all mortal. Extend the deadline and watch early adopters die off from old age. All of us mortal, most of us stupid. It's only natural that a highly trained, very intelligent person should freely prey on us schmucks. I for one will gladly expose my throat to the sweet-talking wolf. If not Dr. Mills, then some other.
I did find the reference to him being an MD intriguing. Next time I have medical problem I am going to consult a nuclear physicist.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:02 PM   #67
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Let's try to stay on topic.

What's different this time with BlackLight Power?

I can find lots of promises of startups and contracts to provide energy over the years.

None have actually happened.

Old 9th January 2017, 02:15 PM   #68
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'll take the word of 2,762 independent architects and engineers over one guy on the internet and a handful of incompetent bureaucrats.

What scam am I running again? You make it sound like I'm trying to deceive people for my own personal monetary gain.
Well, to me you are supporting a scam. One good reason to support a scam would be that you have a monetary interest. Money is very often the foundation of a scam like BlackLight Power is running.

It's certainly a successful scam, as it's clearly brought in a lot of money over the decades from people who failed to do their homework before opening their wallets, without ever having to show any usable prototype.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 9th January 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:21 PM   #69
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://pesn.com/2008/05/29/9500481_B...rcially_ready/

Going commercial in 2008. Quite similar to your thread title.

Old 9th January 2017, 02:26 PM   #70
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Interesting. In 2009:

But then:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://pesn.com/2008/05/29/9500481_B...rcially_ready/

Going commercial in 2008. Quite similar to your thread title.
Quote:
BlackLight Power Inc. announced Wednesday the successful testing of a new energy source. The company has successfully developed a prototype power system generating 50,000 watts of thermal power on demand.

The company is presently in discussion with various engineering and manufacturing firms to to prepare this 50 kW unit for commercial production.

Somehow they went from 50kW in 2008, to only 10 W in 2009, and are now back up to 100kW? Wow, that's some unusual product development there.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:34 PM   #71
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

[snipped the off topic comments].

What scam am I running again? You make it sound like I'm trying to deceive people for my own personal monetary gain.
I don't really know if you are or are not trying to deceive others, trying to yourself, that it represent some sort of fun for you, something else, and/or your motivation.

All I do know is that this thread will come up in a Google search of the company. And I can only hope that whoever views this thread in this way will not be deceived and will thank the efforts of the other members of this forum in presenting the truth.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:36 PM   #72
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Interesting. In 2009:

But then:

Somehow they went from 50kW in 2008, to only 10 W in 2009, and are now back up to 100kW? Wow, that's some unusual product development there.
There's a big difference between a scaled production reactor and a prototype. The 50kw version would have been massive. The SunCell will double that and still be smaller than a car engine.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:41 PM   #73
phunk
Illuminator

The light bulb is surrounded by an array of special solar cells called concentrator solar cells that are able to harness the energy from this enormously bright light source. These special solar cells already exist and are in use in solar farms around the world today.
This makes no sense. Concentrator solar cells use lenses to concentrate the light falling over a wide area into smaller solar cells. You would not use them for a small already incredibly bright light source. If anything, they would need the opposite to spread the light over more area to prevent burning up the solar cells.

A boiler and turbine would make more sense given their claims.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 02:42 PM   #74
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Working 1Kw unit in 1991/92...

http://www.padrak.com/ine/NEN_6_8_1.html

Old 9th January 2017, 02:42 PM   #75
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

[snipped because off topic]

My apologies but these words can be a means to avoid a straightforward statement. More directly: you are stating that the success of this company will not generate any personal monetary gain for you? Of course this is the internet rather than a legal deposition under oath, but I do want to understand what you are actually claiming here very clearly.

Also, as pointed out upthread, scams are scams and a surprisingly large number of people burned by these scams are strong supporters before (and even after) they learn the truth.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:43 PM   #76
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

With regards to that last question, I would say "no".

"So what exactly constitutes "hitting the market" according to you?"

I'd say, a commercial product freely available to at least one segment of the open market not associated with BLP (other than as customers, obviously), that are installed and independently operating to the satisfaction of the customer. "Installed and independently operating to the satisfaction of the customer" would have to be determined by unambiguous statements from such customers for some significant period following the installation.

A "prototype" installation could still be a fraud, if people associated with BLP still have routine access to it.

The "unambiguous statements" and "some significant period following the installation" would be required, because there have been previous cases where BLP has claimed to have signed contracts for their devices, to much rejoicing in the initial press releases, only to have such sales disappear down the memory hole, as the customer doesn't want to advertise that they were scammed.

I'll grant you the extra 6 months. So, July 9, 2018?
Sounds good.

You can get my email from my site to remind me when the time comes and negotiate payment one way or the other. I'll throw a Benjamin at that bet. I"ll plug it in my calendar.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:47 PM   #77
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Wiki says the world record for solar cell efficiency is under 50%.

Why is BlackLight Power wasting so much of the energy it's magic device creates?

Old 9th January 2017, 02:53 PM   #78
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds good.

You can get my email from my site to remind me when the time comes and negotiate payment one way or the other. I'll throw a Benjamin at that bet. I"ll plug it in my calendar.
You do see that given the history of unfulfilled promises, by many people, of a free energy device over the past several decades, that the most common reaction now will be disbelief.
The null hypothesis in this would be that this is more of the same.

I'll plant my feet in Missouri for this one too.

Last edited by jaydeehess; 9th January 2017 at 02:54 PM.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 02:53 PM   #79
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

The overall pattern of the "free energy" scheme is virtually identical IMO to that I've seen utilized by a flying car company near where I live. Repeated announcements of breakthroughs and working prototypes (including videos) with the commercialization of an actual product promised to occur just short of a year away (a very popular time period to promise). This is then followed by the company ignoring the prior failure (or by a brief hand waving explanation), then followed in turn by announcements of even better breakthroughs and even better working prototypes (again with video). All sprinkled by announcements of famous companies just about to buy in and other huge investments just about to be finalized. Yet somehow, over multiple decades, none of this ever became reality. Is there some common play book by which these schemes operate?
Old 9th January 2017, 02:56 PM   #80
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Wiki says the world record for solar cell efficiency is under 50%.

Why is BlackLight Power wasting so much of the energy it's magic device creates?
My first thought was 'why not just use it as heat source for a steam turbine'.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology