ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 05:02 PM   #361
zorro99
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump seems to think he's got the wall funding

"We're building the wall," he said. "In fact it's going to start very soon. Way ahead of schedule. It's way, way, way ahead of schedule."
Interesting he made no mention of Mexico paying for it
Old 24th February 2017, 05:15 PM   #362
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In view of today's developments, I repeat my advice that some of you rethink your opposition to private ownership of firearms......
This jackass is thinking way ahead of the fear-mongering curve; don't play into his hands.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c2462332dc96
Originally Posted by LaPierre
Here’s what is different from the leftist violence we’ve seen in the past. For the first time, we also face an enemy utterly dedicated to destroy not just our country, but also Western civilization.

We also face a national media machine that is not only biased almost entirely one-way, it also dumps gasoline on simple political disagreement to turn it into cultural IEDs. They dehumanize, they demonize us all by calling us every evil name in the book. And when the anger explodes, what do they do? They step back, catch it on video, replay it nonstop for ratings and outrage and more chaos tomorrow when you turn on your TV.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:23 PM   #363
Arcade22
Illuminator

And silence from the Trump white house on the shootings in Kansas.
Trump doesn't have to comment on every murder or crime that happens in America. Only when Muslims do the murdering, wounding or otherwise engages in criminal behavior is it imperative to for him to speak up and condemn it and Muslims in general.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:27 PM   #364
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Interesting he made no mention of Mexico paying for it
I think he's been convinced by just about everyone that there's no way to get Mexico to pay for his wall. Evidently they haven't been able to convince him that such a wall would be an expensive boondoggle that clearly isn't worth it. But who cares about that. It's totally okay and reasonable for the President to waste billions on a divisive vanity project that's only used to pander to bigoted xenophobes.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:29 PM   #365
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

In view of today's developments, I repeat my advice that some of you rethink your opposition to private ownership of firearms......
No ****.

I'm getting more concerned than usual.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:35 PM   #366
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
This jackass is thinking way ahead of the fear-mongering curve; don't play into his hands.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c2462332dc96

And,sadly, guns might be the only way to stop LaPierre and his ilk.
And although a Liberal on many issues, I always broke with Liberal orthodoxy on the issue of gun ownership. I am not against controls to keep guns out of the the wrong hands,but was always opposed to the kind of severe restrictions on Gun Ownership the activists on the issue advocate
BTW Back in 2000 I quit the NRA because I could not stomach Lapierre and his paranoid craziness.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 24th February 2017 at 05:38 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:37 PM   #367
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
This jackass is thinking way ahead of the fear-mongering curve; don't play into his cold dead hands.
FTFY.

Crazy stuff, and a bit scary for media types, I'd have thought.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:38 PM   #368
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

And,sadly, guns might be the only way to stop LaPierre and his ilk.
They'd say so, after all.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:41 PM   #369
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
FTFY.

If I were a high profile media type, I would be considering buying a gun for self defense very seriously.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 05:41 PM   #370
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I think he's been convinced by just about everyone that there's no way to get Mexico to pay for his wall. Evidently they haven't been able to convince him that such a wall would be an expensive boondoggle that clearly isn't worth it. But who cares about that. It's totally okay and reasonable for the President to waste billions on a divisive vanity project that's only used to pander to bigoted xenophobes.
Those billions may be waste to you, but they're income for some other folk.

Old 24th February 2017, 05:42 PM   #371
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
it also dumps gasoline on simple political disagreement to turn it into cultural IEDs
And excellent description of the way LaPierre operates.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th February 2017, 06:04 PM   #372
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Greatest. Protest. Ever.
It gets better.
The guys who pulled the Trump-flag stunt at CPAC are giving their interviews in fake Russian accents
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 06:12 PM   #373
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

How many of them thought the Russian flag was red with a Hammer and Sickle on it?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 06:16 PM   #374
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't wait for four days from now, when PDJT addresses the full Congress. It may just be the first time that he faces a (nearly) half-hostile audience. I don't know if this is the one where members are allowed to applaud and stand, but I do hope that instead of booing or hooting the Democrats just laugh.

How many of them thought the Russian flag was red with a Hammer and Sickle on it?
I would admit to not knowing it was a Russian flag -- but I would have inferred that it was another country's flag and research it.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 06:22 PM   #375
trustbutverify
Philosopher

FTFY.

No doubt... as the families of some of Putin's murdered media critics could attest to.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 06:30 PM   #376
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I just heard small snippets of Trump at CPAC today while in the car.

What stood out to me was that in his attack on the media, he said "They should not be allowed to print stories with anonymous sources."

Leading me immediately to question, "Who decides what the press is "allowed" to do?

Had scary and dark implications, unless I'm reading too much into it.
Best possibilty: He's in no position to dictate what the media does. He's bluffing. He's trying to get his base to ignore the leaks.

It's not a pleasant possibilty, I'm afraid.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 06:53 PM   #377
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Trump seemed to like stories with anonymous sources during the campaign. What changed?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 06:57 PM   #378
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
No doubt... as the families of some of Putin's murdered media critics could attest to.
The 'unpatriotic' post on Facebook that meant I finally had to flee Russia
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ly-flee-russia

Quote:
"The General Prosecutor’s Office is now investigating Rynska’s Facebook post and she could face five years in prison. Meanwhile, there are pro-government thugs waiting outside her home, who try to break in from time to time.

My home address has also been published on the internet, together with an invitation “to visit”. I have received threats to me and my family by the thousand – in my email inbox, on Facebook and by phone.

Attacks and beatings against dissidents in Russia have been happening for a long time – there must be hundreds of such incidents now. They usually use baseball bats, crowbars or bottles. In September, the investigative journalist Grigory Pasko was left with concussion after an attack by unknown assailants in Barnaul. The day before he had been accused of being a foreign agent by a local newspaper."
The US doesn't suffer from compliant legal and police systems, fortunately.

Old 24th February 2017, 06:59 PM   #379
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Best possibilty: He's in no position to dictate what the media does. He's bluffing. He's trying to get his base to ignore the leaks.

It's not a pleasant possibilty, I'm afraid.
He's just bloviating.

Old 24th February 2017, 07:08 PM   #380
Arcade22
Illuminator

Those billions may be waste to you, but they're income for some other folk.
Would've been better to just hand out the money to people directly through government subsidies, welfare and unemployment benefits than wasting them on public contractors.
Old 24th February 2017, 07:14 PM   #381
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Would've been better to just hand out the money to people directly through government subsidies, welfare and unemployment benefits than wasting them on public contractors.
I doubt Trump's social circle see it that way.

Old 24th February 2017, 07:17 PM   #382
Civet
Muse

Better than a useless wall, certainly, but I'd rather see the money go to potentially useful things like infrastructure, land rehabilitation and so forth. Creates jobs, contractors still happy.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 07:26 PM   #383
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Between Flynn, the Russian connection, Preibus trying to get the FBI to discount the NYT article, Trumpers trying to get intelligence agencies to find evidence supporting the travel ban when their report found the opposite, all the claims about fake news, and inflating Trump's election win at CPAC, this snowball is flying down that hill.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 07:30 PM   #384
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Between Flynn, the Russian connection, Preibus trying to get the FBI to discount the NYT article, Trumpers trying to get intelligence agencies to find evidence supporting the travel ban when their report found the opposite, all the claims about fake news, and inflating Trump's election win at CPAC, this snowball is flying down that hill.
Add asking the heads of the house and senate intelligence committees also working with the White House to spin their conclusions (which they can't have) to reporters, as of a half hour ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.3ceaeb103bae

Last edited by Mumbles; 24th February 2017 at 07:38 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 07:53 PM   #385
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Homeland Security announced that they'll soon begin soliciting bids for prototype structures.

They're about to ask people to start submitting paperwork to begin designing and constructing examples of possible walls. I assume the process will involve determining who offers the biggest kickback.
I so wish I could spin up a fake company with a fake internet history, and submit a plan.

Liberty BFD Corp
cross-continental scale, high technology Barriers and Fences
Delivered on time, on budget

Last edited by varwoche; 24th February 2017 at 07:59 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 07:53 PM   #386
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Fake news indeed.
Old 24th February 2017, 08:00 PM   #387
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

How about investing in infrastructure that benefits us?
Old 24th February 2017, 08:12 PM   #388
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

This appears to be the exact quote of what I heard earlier at CPAC:

"They shouldn’t be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody’s name,” Mr. Trump said. “Let their name be put out there.”

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 08:14 PM   #389
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I so wish I could spin up a fake company with a fake internet history, and submit a plan.

Liberty BFD Corp
cross-continental scale, high technology Barriers and Fences
Delivered on time, on budget
Want a partner? I could add consulting on prisoner health care and how to cut costs.
Old 24th February 2017, 08:17 PM   #390
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

This one is shameful:

70 yr old children's book author, Mem Fox, gets apology after being wrongfully detained at LA airport
Quote:
Fox, who was questioned by Customs and Border Protection officers for two hours earlier this month as she was on her way to Milwaukee to address a conference, said she collapsed and sobbed at her hotel after she was released.

She said the border agents appeared to have been given "turbocharged power" by an executive order signed by President Donald Trump to "humiliate and insult" a room full of people they detained to check visas....

"I have never in my life been spoken to with such insolence, treated with such disdain, with so many insults and with so much gratuitous impoliteness," Fox said.
Stanford Prison Experiment guards come to mind.
Old 24th February 2017, 08:19 PM   #391
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

"They shouldn’t be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody’s name,” Mr. Trump said. “Let their name be put out there.”
They could use the name John Miller. That's what Trump used.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 08:49 PM   #392
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"People are saying...."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 24th February 2017, 10:17 PM   #393
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

This one is shameful:

70 yr old children's book author, Mem Fox, gets apology after being wrongfully detained at LA airportStanford Prison Experiment guards come to mind.
I think you are spot-on.
Old 24th February 2017, 10:26 PM   #394
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump seems to think he's got the wall funding

"We're building the wall," he said. "In fact it's going to start very soon. Way ahead of schedule. It's way, way, way ahead of schedule."
What "schedule?" Where is it? I haven't seen it.

Anyone?
Old 24th February 2017, 10:34 PM   #395
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
What "schedule?" Where is it? I haven't seen it.

Anyone?
whenever it happens, and whatever it costs, it will be ahead of schedule and below budget.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:59 PM   #396
Minoosh
Philosopher

Muhammad Ali Jr., a U.S. citizen, was detained at Florida airport for 2 hours while immigration agents asked how he got his name and asked if was a Muslim.

Arggh. He's a U.S. citizen and son of one of the most recognizable athletes of all time. Since when is it legal to grill U.S. citizens about their names and their religion?

I'm disgusted and hope there's a lawsuit or worse waiting to happen. Also that people pitilessly mock and bait Trump for the laughingstock he would be if this situation weren't so serious.

If there's another thread this can be merged.

Last edited by Minoosh; 25th February 2017 at 12:02 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th February 2017, 12:18 AM   #397
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Muhammad Ali Jr., a U.S. citizen, was detained at Florida airport for 2 hours while immigration agents asked how he got his name and asked if was a Muslim.

Arggh. He's a U.S. citizen and son of one of the most recognizable athletes of all time. Since when is it legal to grill U.S. citizens about their names and their religion?

I'm disgusted and hope there's a lawsuit or worse waiting to happen. Also that people pitilessly mock and bait Trump for the laughingstock he would be if this situation weren't so serious.

If there's another thread this can be merged.
WTF is going on here? These are people born in the US and as American as any of us.
Old 25th February 2017, 12:57 AM   #398
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Quick question, if the media organisations banned from his briefings include the BBC*, which is our state owned channel not some private organisation, hasn't he effectively snubbed Britain?

And we're going to give him a state visit?!

*Which I hadn't seen until a report this morning - unless I misheard it...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th February 2017, 12:59 AM   #399
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

WTF is going on here? These are people born in the US and as American as any of us.
I think you'll find that they're the wrong colour to be 'proper' Americans...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th February 2017, 01:10 AM   #400
Bob001
Philosopher

A short guide to all the ways Trump voters will pay for their bad judgment:
Quote:
Rural Americans will suffer because of Trump’s environment, trade and agricultural policies. Wealth and income inequality will become more extreme, thus punishing and constricting the life opportunities of the vast majority of Americans of all races and backgrounds. Efforts to roll back and destroy Obamacare will deprive millions of health insurance and may lead to the hundreds of thousands of deaths. Potential deportations of undocumented immigrants will further damage the economy by raising the cost of food and services while also requiring large expenditures of federal money. The expansion of the “stop and frisk” Terrordome against black and brown communities will likely increase the number of people killed and brutalized by police while also draining public coffers to pay for the prison-industrial complex as well as to settle innumerable lawsuits against police.
https://www.salon.com/2017/01/20/the...is-own-voters/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics