ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 12:08 AM   #2081
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Hillary wasn't really referring to a limited subset with her disparaging remarks.
Yes, she was.

See, your assertion has as much validity as mine. Both are based on information we don't have. Well, maybe I'm wrong. DO you have information to support your claim?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:39 AM   #2082
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Is there any way to explain why Trump didn't shake hands with Merkel except that he's afraid of a picture showing that her hands are bigger than his?
Old 20th March 2017, 02:25 AM   #2083
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Is there any way to explain why Trump didn't shake hands with Merkel except that he's afraid of a picture showing that her hands are bigger than his?
Trump shakes hands in a weirdly dominant used car salesman manner. I don't think he knows how to do a dignified handshake by rote, and felt that he might look insecure by attempting it, and worse trying the "dominant" way with Merkel.
Old 20th March 2017, 02:52 AM   #2084
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Gender has everything to do with it. Women, in the Orange Hair's world aren't his equal.
Then why did he agree to meet her at all? That doesn't quite fit.
Old 20th March 2017, 02:53 AM   #2085
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A link to a link to a video.

If you have something to say, say it here.
Yeah because 36 seconds of video is hard, man. More than 10 second, I start to lose my atten-- ooh, look!
Old 20th March 2017, 03:14 AM   #2086
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The child just oozes class, doesn't​ he? Or maybe that's slime. All you Americans must be just so proud.
He didn't grab her genitals, so he is really doing much better than people expect. This was one of his most presidential moments since his speech to congress.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:18 AM   #2087
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Trump continues to lie through his teeth and hopes no one will notice, but when they do, he lies again.
He just knows no one who matters cares. His supporters and congress don't care, so it really doesn't matter.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:27 AM   #2088
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Hey, coal miners, you ain't getting your jobs back:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...=.81b7a4d19cbe
Of course those were the kind of things you should take him seriously on but not literally. All of his supporters knew that wasn't possible.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:59 AM   #2089
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Yes, she was.

See, your assertion has as much validity as mine. Both are based on information we don't have. Well, maybe I'm wrong. DO you have information to support your claim?
Actually, yours has more validity than his. All one has to do is show the entire portion of the speech where she mentions the deplorable in context. His assertion depends on the removal of context and misrepresentation of fact.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:03 AM   #2090
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

The following report is just another example of how Trump supporters were duped by Trump.

Trump, critic of Obama's golfing, regularly hits the links

West Palm Beach, Florida (CNN)President Donald Trump, once a critic of his predecessor's golfing, has visited one of his golf courses in Florida -- seemingly to play the sport -- five of the last seven weekends.

"I'm going to be working for you; I'm not going to have time to go play golf," Trump said during a 2016 event in Virginia.

"Can you believe that, with all of the problems and difficulties facing the US, President Obama spent the day playing golf," Trump tweeted in October 2014. "Worse than Carter."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/19/politi...nds/index.html
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:05 AM   #2091
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The following report is just another example of how Trump supporters were duped by Trump.

West Palm Beach, Florida (CNN)President Donald Trump, once a critic of his predecessor's golfing, has visited one of his golf courses in Florida -- seemingly to play the sport -- five of the last seven weekends.

"I'm going to be working for you; I'm not going to have time to go play golf," Trump said during a 2016 event in Virginia.

"Can you believe that, with all of the problems and difficulties facing the US, President Obama spent the day playing golf," Trump tweeted in October 2014. "Worse than Carter."

I guess that just means Trump is much more efficient than Obama. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump gets two or three weeks worth of stuff done in a single week. The man's energy is tremendous.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:21 AM   #2092
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...=.81b7a4d19cbe
Even open cut mines employ less and less people these days. Those big trucks can drive themselves now.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:52 AM   #2093
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I guess that just means Trump is much more efficient than Obama. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump gets two or three weeks worth of stuff done in a single week. The man's energy is tremendous.
That's a pretty bold assertion. Do you have anything to back that up ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 05:01 AM   #2094
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That's a pretty bold assertion. Do you have anything to back that up ?
It's obvious, isn't it?

Just compare the number of tweets per day. That is (now) the primary measure of Presidential accomplishment.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 06:45 AM   #2095
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How else would he get so much more time to watch TV than Obama? The man needs to much less time to read all the reports a president needs to read.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:48 AM   #2096
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Washington Post article
Thanks for the link Bob, that was an interesting article, giving a fairly extensive look at the coal industry from the viewpoint of the companies and the financial industry. Interesting that one of the things the coal industry wants is continued support from the federal government for some of the technological research. But Trump hasn't made any promises there and many of the programs will probably be defunded by the Trump administration. It's also interesting to see how production is very price sensitive and market prices are set by global markets, especially China. But Trump seems to want a trade war with China and manipulating coal prices will be an easy way for China to retaliate against the U.S.

But this goes to something I have long believed. I understand the thinking of some of the people I know who voted for Trump. The idea of getting a tough, successful business person in the White House who could better guide our economy, someone who knows how the economy works, knows what drives the business cycle. But that doesn't describe Donald Trump. Not even close.

Decent idea, wrong guy.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:54 AM   #2097
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He doesn't know how to do it properly. He was embarrassed by the Japanese PM cringing and didn't want to risk a repeat.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:57 AM   #2098
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Even open cut mines employ less and less people these days. Those big trucks can drive themselves now.
Bringing back jobs for American robots.

I heard a Mexican on the World Service point out that when the US carmakers moved factories to Mexico, they replaced a 10,000 employee factory with a 1,500 employee factory, and the trend would be continuing if they moved back to the US.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:15 AM   #2099
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Bringing back jobs for American robots.

I heard a Mexican on the World Service point out that when the US carmakers moved factories to Mexico, they replaced a 10,000 employee factory with a 1,500 employee factory, and the trend would be continuing if they moved back to the US.

Make America Great Again.
America was at its greatest during the 1950s.
Therefore, everything needs to be taken back to how it was in the 1950s, including industrial technology.

Problem solved.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 11:35 AM   #2100
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Cain, is that you?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 11:41 AM   #2101
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

How long until we get Trump Tweeting to attack Forbes for "fake news"?

Quote:
President Donald Trump is the nation's first billionaire president -- but he's not as rich as he used to be, according to the Forbes 2017 Billionaires List published Monday.

The magazine put his net worth at $3.5 billion, down $1 billion from the rankings it issued a year ago.

As a result, his position on the Forbes' ranking dropped 220 spots, leaving him tied with 19 others as the 544th richest person in the world.

Failing Forbes decides to attack my finances. Count everything and I'm one of wealthiest men in the world. Sad.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 11:46 AM   #2102
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

Failing Forbes decides to attack my finances. Count everything and I'm one of wealthiest men in the world. Sad.
Doesn't include YUGE deals in Russia.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:21 PM   #2103
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

And, Trump's energy is a major problem, which is why Trump has the lowest approval rating of any new president and why his approval rating is now the lowest since becoming president.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:39 PM   #2104
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
President Trump seems to be getting a bit sensitive about his leisure activities.

When he was a candidate and, before that, an anti-Obama bomb-thrower on social media, Trump repeatedly criticized Barack Obama for hitting the links.

On the campaign trail, he was explicit: Elect Donald Trump as president, and the era of a president who goofs around on the golf course is over.

ďIím going to be working for you. Iím not going to have time to go play golf,Ē he said in Virginia last August. Obama has ďplayed more golf than most people on the PGA Tour,Ē he said on the day before the election in New Hampshire. ďWhat is it, over 300 rounds? Hey, look, itís good. Golf is fine. But always play with leaders of countries and people that can help us! Donít play with your friends all the time.Ē

Now that heís president? Different tune.

So just to run through those excuses:

1. Trump uses golf to foster deeper relationships.
2. Also, just because heís at a golf course doesnít mean heís golfing.
3. Also? Itís none of your business.

Those are not strong rejoinders to Walkerís question. If Donald Trump travels to one of his golf clubs on a weekend morning and spends four hours there, itís safe to assume that he worked in a round of golf. (Calls and meetings, after all, donít require leaving Mar-a-Lago.) Itís also safe to assume that Trumpís golfing partners may not always have been people with whom he was deciding the fate of the world, given that one of the few foursomes we know about consisted of Trump, Rory McIlroy, a sports agent and one of Trumpís friends.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...not-happening/

Trump sure is working diligently and so hard that he doesn't have time to golf.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:23 PM   #2105
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I'm curious, does Trump ever not lie?
Old 20th March 2017, 02:37 PM   #2106
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

I'm surprised he doesn't call himself the world's first trillionaire, asserting he now "owns" the US economy
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:52 PM   #2107
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Old 20th March 2017, 03:19 PM   #2108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And, Trump's energy is a major problem, which is why Trump has the lowest approval rating of any new president and why his approval rating is now the lowest since becoming president.
37% approval rating from the latest Gallup. Ouch.
It means he is losing the undecided and the independents...and they decide elections.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:51 PM   #2109
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Holding a negative stereotype about people because of their race is racist, yes. Did you think it wasn't?
Do you agree then that 1/3 of Clinton's supporters are racists?
Old 20th March 2017, 03:52 PM   #2110
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Clintin is old news. Isn't it time to ket it go move on? FFS this is a Trump thread.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:56 PM   #2111
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in....
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:57 PM   #2112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ivanka is getting a White House office:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...e-house-236273

It is the Security Clearence part that worries me.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:59 PM   #2113
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
It's quite interesting that you're asking for both objective numbers AND anecdotes all at once.

I'm asking for the list of actual definite racists that such ire is directed at, as opposed to the giant unspecific swath of people who are merely assumed to be racists.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:01 PM   #2114
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Unkind.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:01 PM   #2115
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Clintin is old news. Isn't it time to ket it go move on? FFS this is a Trump thread.
Funny thing is, PDJT tweeted about winning the election (again!) just this morning.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:02 PM   #2116
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Many adult children live with their elderly parents to provide the special care they need.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:04 PM   #2117
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
You know what the assumption is, here? You found one poll that touched on one of several of the things Clinton talked about, but no indication that this is the poll which informed her of the racist, sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, etc attitudes of Trump voters.
But, you have assumed this is the one (and sole) poll Clinton used. So, until you provide a reason to believe your assumption, I'm not going to accept it. M'kay?
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that she referenced that poll. The alternative is that she just invented it and pulled it out of her backside.

Which do you prefer? Do you prefer that she insults a huge swath of americans based on facts, or that she insults a huge swath of americans based on her imagination?
Old 20th March 2017, 04:04 PM   #2118
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Also she will not be a government employee and thus will be exempt from disclosure rules.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:05 PM   #2119
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Then why did he agree to meet her at all? That doesn't quite fit.
One shouldn't be beastly to the Germans.

He had to meet her, obviously. He just couldn't carry it off. Jeez, he couldn't even lift it let alone carry it.

I'm sure he'll do a lot better with Boris Johnson.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:07 PM   #2120
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post

I'm asking for the list of actual definite racists that such ire is directed at, as opposed to the giant unspecific swath of people who are merely assumed to be racists.
Hmm, i know I used to have such a list, but i think I archived it on an overseas server. Ill get back to you if I find it, but it may take a while to upload once i do locate it, so many millions of names, so many...

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics