ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 09:51 AM   #281
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
That monster!
Meanwhile, there was the guy who said this...

"I like the challenge and tell the story of the coal miner's son. The coal miner gets black-ling disease, his son gets it, then his son. If I had been the son of a coal miner, I would have left the damn mines. But most people don't have the imagination, or whatever, to leave their mine. They don't have it." Playboy, 1990.

But Hillary is the one who doesn't have any respect for coal miners, right?
Old 24th February 2017, 09:55 AM   #282
Tero
Muse

Trumpcare-Ryancare to have small subsidies
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...package-235343
And we are going right back to the Hillary/Obama progression of things once we get rid of Trump. The last Republican president this century. Face it, with population growth and more urban people, the future is more Sesame Street than Little House on The Prairie.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 10:06 AM   #283
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Apparently Kellyanne Conway has been wearing out her welcome.
Quote:
Joe Scarborough was a guest Tuesday night on Colbert's “Late Show” and he seemed eager to explain the decision to ban President Trump's White House counselor from his show last week.

“It got to a point where Kellyanne would keep coming out and everything she said was disproven like five minutes later,” Scarborough said. News link
There are also news reports that Trump himself forbid her to appear on TV for seven days following the Bowling Green Massacre meltdown.

Scarborough and others have also said that Conway was on a lot of shows early in the Trump presidency because she was contacting the shows to get invited on. It's said she portrayed herself (privately to news show producers) as a Trump-White House insider. That she was "in the loop" and knew "the real deal." Now the news show producers are doubting that she is an insider. Or if she was at first, she no longer is.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 10:07 AM   #284
Argumemnon
World Maker

The Clown Car continues its road trip.
Old 24th February 2017, 10:17 AM   #285
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Quote:
"I like the challenge and tell the story of the coal miner's son. The coal miner gets black-lung disease, his son gets it, then his son. If I had been the son of a coal miner, I would have left the damn mines. But most people don't have the imagination, or whatever, to leave their mine. They don't have it." Playboy, 1990.
The funny thing is, as I've said before, living in Trump's hometown I've been watching him and reading about him for thirty years. The above, that sounds like the real Donald Trump. The same man who once said he doesn't respect most people because, "they're not deserving of respect."

I've known men exactly like Trump, I guess we all have. Except, that is, for the people who bought his nonsense and helped elect him president. I still think of the lady I saw interviewed in New Hampshire prior to the primary. Her husband lost his job when a local plant moved away. Now he works two minimum wage jobs, seven days a week, to make ends meet. She blamed it all on illegal immigrants and said she was going to vote for Trump, that she was convinced he "understands people like us."

I still feel genuinely bad for that woman, I'm sure her and her husband are having a tough time. But privately, Trump probably laughs at people like that and thinks they're pathetic losers.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 10:49 AM   #286
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

There are also news reports that Trump himself forbid her to appear on TV for seven days following the Bowling Green Massacre meltdown.

Scarborough and others have also said that Conway was on a lot of shows early in the Trump presidency because she was contacting the shows to get invited on. It's said she portrayed herself (privately to news show producers) as a Trump-White House insider. That she was "in the loop" and knew "the real deal." Now the news show producers are doubting that she is an insider. Or if she was at first, she no longer is.
My understanding is that she's being punished for publicly contradicting him. She was stating that Flynn had "the full confidence" of the White House right about the same time he was resigning. I see a lot more likelihood of her being shamed for being off message than being shamed for making false statements that support Trump's view.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 10:57 AM   #287
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Woah, no, it does not. One need not be stupid to fall for a con. One need not be a bad person to fall for a con. Sure, those things can certainly be leveraged to make it easier on the con artist, but they aren't needed. It's one of the first things most critical thinking and anti-woo teachers like to hit on; believes in woo are not necessarily stupid. Thinking of them as simply stupid is far less effective and interesting than looking at how they were actually fooled.

Now, the reasons to be fooled by Trump certainly tend away from complimentary for those who buy into his brand of woowoo thinking, but the observation that they've been conned does not mean one is calling them stupid or evil.
You are correct in the general sense. It is my personal impression that the claims of Trump voters being conned has been used in these threads to heavily imply that those voters are stupid. I'm not going to bother scouting through all the posts, but I believe it's actually been said more than once.
Old 24th February 2017, 10:59 AM   #288
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

He still doesn't seem to understand that even though one side "won", he's supposed to be representing everyone.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:00 AM   #289
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
From afar, it was always pretty obvious that Donald was full of **** and, and this is important, he wasn't going to be able to/want to do all that he claimed.

Clinton's mistake was, apparently, not being as full of utter ******** as Donald.

I honestly find your view on this baffling. The current president is an international embarrassment and a potential danger to the whole world. This much was obvious to anyone watching the campaign.

It utterly escapes me how you can possibly draw any equivalence between the two.
I happen to agree.

That said, it doesn't discount the validity of different views and different concerns by voters throughout the campaign and election. That Trump is turning out to be worse than anyone expected doesn't turn back time, and it doesn't erase the impressions and value sets of people prior to his election.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:02 AM   #290
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It does if their ranking is based on easily identifiable lies.
What, like the belief in a god?

Values aren't based on what Trump says. He says a lot of lies. Values are based on what the value-holder believes. It's not as easy to prove that a belief is a lie as you might think. If it were so easy, we'd have a world full of atheists and almost no theists of any flavor.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:03 AM   #291
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
As the owner of a weed farm in WA state, I've been whistling past the graveyard ever since election day. The graveyard just whistled back.

I'm guessing that Sessions is the driver here.
Or Pence. His Draconcian policy toward Pot in Indiana was a major reason he was in trouble with many in his own party.

I wonder if this surfacing is not Trump taking out a bit of "Impeachment Insurance":Trying to make himself look less extreme then Pence.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:07 AM   #292
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I happen to agree.

That said, it doesn't discount the validity of different views and different concerns by voters throughout the campaign and election. That Trump is turning out to be worse than anyone expected doesn't turn back time, and it doesn't erase the impressions and value sets of people prior to his election.
I'm inclined to disagree with the specific portion I highlighted in your post. I think Trump is behaving very much like anti-Trump voters feared he would and his high approval rating among Republican voters indicates that the vast majority of them are well pleased and, in some cases, pleasantly surprised.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:09 AM   #293
3point14
Pi

Yes. Exactly as useless in terms of rational assessment as a belief in a god, i.e. totally

Values aren't based on what Trump says. He says a lot of lies. Values are based on what the value-holder believes. It's not as easy to prove that a belief is a lie as you might think. If it were so easy, we'd have a world full of atheists and almost no theists of any flavor.
These are not philosophical questions we're dealing with, this is not 'if a tree falls in a forest', these are easily checkable, real-world facts we're dealing with. There is no alternate reality in this instance. Trump lies, often and outrageously. There is no wriggle room here. Those who voted for him have to accept that they failed in any way to investigate the veracity of their chosen candidate and fell for a hatfull of easily identifiable lies. He was outrageous, they were credulous. And continue to be so.

We are lions, not tigers.

Last edited by 3point14; 24th February 2017 at 11:15 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:12 AM   #294
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

You are correct in the general sense. It is my personal impression that the claims of Trump voters being conned has been used in these threads to heavily imply that those voters are stupid. I'm not going to bother scouting through all the posts, but I believe it's actually been said more than once.
You don't have to be stupid to have been conned.

But now that the con has been exposed, yes you do have to be stupid to continue supporting him.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:18 AM   #295
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Little enthusiasm in the GOP for the Great Pot Crackdown. I would not be surprised if this gets "walked back",or Trump privately tells Sessions and Pence to shut up about it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:25 AM   #296
Spindrift

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Little enthusiasm in the GOP for the Great Pot Crackdown. I would not be surprised if this gets "walked back",or Trump privately tells Sessions and Pence to shut up about it.
You mean Bannon tells Sessions and Pence to shut up.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:27 AM   #297
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am beginning to buy into the "The Pot Statetment was Impeachment insurance" theory.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:28 AM   #298
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I just heard small snippets of Trump at CPAC today while in the car.

What stood out to me was that in his attack on the media, he said "They should not be allowed to print stories with anonymous sources."

Leading me immediately to question, "Who decides what the press is "allowed" to do?

Had scary and dark implications, unless I'm reading too much into it.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 24th February 2017 at 11:30 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:33 AM   #299
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

What stood out to me was that in his attack on the media, he said "They should not be allowed to print stories with anonymous sources."

Leading me immediately to question, "Who decides what the press is "allowed" to do?

That's the problem; we don't know if it's dark and serious or if it is just Trump's idiotic way of speaking.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:45 AM   #300
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

An insider, yes. A source of insider information? Not unless you call the programed mouthpiece a source of information.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:48 AM   #301
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
My understanding is that she's being punished [made a scapegoat] for publicly contradicting him. She was stating that Flynn had "the full confidence" of the White House right about the same time he was resigning. I see a lot more likelihood of her being shamed for being off message than being shamed for making false statements that support Trump's view.
ftfy

Pretty sure Conway did not make up her comments but was told that was the story to repeat. Spicer had the same message until it changed to the weasel out of it version.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:55 AM   #302
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I happen to agree.

He isn't turning out worse than anyone expected. He isn't turning out worse than I expected. Plenty of people had him exactly right, the evidence was everywhere.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:59 AM   #303
trustbutverify
Philosopher

People voted for a blundering mental patient with no redeeming qualities because they believed in a god? Wow.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:04 PM   #304
trustbutverify
Philosopher

That should make for some interesting reactions among the Putin-left.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 24th February 2017, 12:05 PM   #305
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

That's the problem; we don't know if it's dark and serious or if it is just Trump's idiotic way of speaking.
In this case, I don't think ignorance or idiocy explains it. Promoting marketing messages is more like it, combined with the Bannon/Trump alt-right view that America, as the biggest military power in the world, with border walls, can be the white nationalist country those crazies want.

The marketing messages are clear and right in line with the GOP's coordinated talking points methodology. The protests at the town meetings, airports, etc all all paid events. Ludicrous but all they need show is one Democratic organizer involved and it reinforces the marketed message. Never mind that is how grassroots politics works.

The press went easier on Obama is the latest thing, repeated on Fox News this morning complete with stats. Never mind Trump is crazy and that is the real difference. Fake news, enemy of the people, anonymous sources, the people prevailed over the fake news... these no different from slogans such as "you deserve a break today" and "just do it".

Now we have the story rewrite attempt, the FBI came to Priebus to tell him the NYTs article was not consistent with the FBI's investigation, Priebus didn't seek them out.

If the press and the Democrats can't overcome this very effective sales job, we could be in big trouble. Especially since most GOP legislators have shown themselves to be more interested in holding power, even at the cost of the crazies driving the car. There are a few holdouts, let's hope they have more influence than it appears at the moment.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th February 2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:16 PM   #306
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Trump will prove to the world that the USA has the biggest penis on the planet.

"We will be substantially upgrading all of our military, all of our military. Offensive, defensive. Everything. Bigger and better and stronger than ever before. And hopefully we'll never have to use it. But nobody's going to mess with us, folks. Nobody."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:19 PM   #307
Argumemnon
World Maker

Small government, folks.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:22 PM   #308
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
" . . . But nobody's going to mess with us, folks. Nobody."
Then why worry about them mooslims pouring in cuz they' ain't messin' with us! Hoo Rah!

What a dip ****.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:25 PM   #309
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

'It's a Russian flag!' Trickster strikes CPAC before Trump's speech

Quote:
"He was dressed like any one of us," said Tyler Dever, 20, a student at the University of South Florida in Tampa, who was wearing a suit. "He passed them to me and was like, 'Pass them down, pass them down.' "

Dever, caught up in the moment, passed them down, before someone sitting next to him said, "Oh, it's a Russian flag!" CPAC staff quickly recollected the flags.
:9
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:29 PM   #310
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

It may stem from the same attitude that I've heard my father express. After the Oklahoma City bombing, he said "Once we find out who did it, we should bomb their whole country flat."
Obviously, that would have been...problematic, but the idea may be that we respond to any attack with a retaliation a thousand times as damaging, and soon nobody will dare do anything to us. What could possibly go wrong?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:50 PM   #311
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will prove to the world that the USA has the biggest penis on the planet.

"We will be substantially upgrading all of our military, all of our military. Offensive, defensive. Everything. Bigger and better and stronger than ever before. And hopefully we'll never have to use it. But nobody's going to mess with us, folks. Nobody."
I am not against upgrading out military,but I don't trust this idiot to do a good job of it.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:52 PM   #312
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It may stem from the same attitude that I've heard my father express. After the Oklahoma City bombing, he said "Once we find out who did it, we should bomb their whole country flat."
Obviously, that would have been...problematic, but the idea may be that we respond to any attack with a retaliation a thousand times as damaging, and soon nobody will dare do anything to us. What could possibly go wrong?
Seems to me there is a big difference between targeting the people responsible and bombing a country flat.but then I firmly believe that the two people who will get you into trouble every time are the mindless hawks and the mindless doves.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:56 PM   #313
Spindrift

I am not against upgrading out military,but I don't trust this idiot to do a good job of it.
Big shiny gold tanks! And battleships with more guns!

And what's with the uniforms? They're awful. I'll have Melania design some new uniforms. Black is always classy. And maybe an armband of some kind and some shiny boots.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:02 PM   #314
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
The Clown Car continues its road trip.
Unfortunately, we're in the trailer they're pulling behind it

I'm just gonna go pack up and head to hell right now.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 01:02 PM   #315
Spindrift

CNN, the LA Times, NY Times, Politico and the BBC were barred from a briefing!

http://www.wesh.com/article/cnn-othe...iefing/8976863

The fascism begins or at least isn't hidden anymore.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:03 PM   #316
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Seems to me there is a big difference between targeting the people responsible and bombing a country flat.but then I firmly believe that the two people who will get you into trouble every time are the mindless hawks and the mindless doves.....

Trump has already advocated assassinating the families of terrorists, so why not wipe out the entire town, city, or country where they live. Same tactic on a bigger scale, or should I say, a YUGER scale.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:03 PM   #317
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
Unfortunately, we're in the trailer they're pulling behind it
Speak for yourself. I'm just in another vehicle on the same road.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:14 PM   #318
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump seems to think he's got the wall funding

"We're building the wall," he said. "In fact it's going to start very soon. Way ahead of schedule. It's way, way, way ahead of schedule."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 01:17 PM   #319
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump seems to think he's got the wall funding

"We're building the wall," he said. "In fact it's going to start very soon. Way ahead of schedule. It's way, way, way ahead of schedule."
He doesn't need funding. Remember he was elected because of his business experience and his experience is to just stiff the contractors.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:18 PM   #320
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
CNN, the LA Times, NY Times, Politico and the BBC were barred from a briefing!

http://www.wesh.com/article/cnn-othe...iefing/8976863

The fascism begins or at least isn't hidden anymore.
The President is triggered by criticism so he had to restrict press access in order to make the White House a safe space.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics