ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th March 2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Trump's 2018 Federal Budget Proposal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...2018-proposal/

If we're cutting funding to arts, science, diplomacy, the environment, education, etc., What are we preparing to fight other countries to protect?
Old 17th March 2017, 10:01 AM   #2
rustypouch
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

If we're cutting funding to arts, science, diplomacy, the environment, education, etc., What are we preparing to fight other countries to protect?
FreedomTM
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Cain
Straussian

Finally, we have a president willing to stand up to poor people exploiting us.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump might say it's a starting point, being a so-called skilled negotiator. Or he is trying to disrupt and/or split the GOP. To me his budget looks like a blueprint for a severe recession and maybe depression. If he disrupts the GOP enough he never has to sign anything so nothing's on him - he can blame Congress.

I guess he does have to sign off on a budget eventually. Or keep vetoing it, forcing bipartisan cooperation. "I wanted to cut spending, but Congress wouldn't let me do it." Also it keeps career government employees from getting too uppity.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Wealthy folk investment. No, not that they are at risk of attack, but increasing military spending make sure their investment in the military industrial complex will show an increase.

Last edited by Aepervius; 17th March 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:24 PM   #6
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

It makes me embarrassed to be a human being.
I hope the resident sycophants are happy with "winning"
Old 17th March 2017, 12:31 PM   #7
xjx388
Illuminator

Let's start with Arts . . . regardless of the size of the budget, why should any money be spend on stuff like the National Endowment of the Arts/Humanities?
Old 17th March 2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Trump wants to make a few rich defense contractors richer while making many poor people poorer.

This is just another one of the many ways that Donald J. Trump will "Make America Great Again".

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:36 PM   #9
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Somebody has to pay for massive tax cuts for the rich and an increase in military spending. I'm thinking it's going to be the working poor and the middle class.
Old 17th March 2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
Somebody has to pay for massive tax cuts for the rich and an increase in military spending. I'm thinking it's going to be the working poor and the middle class.
This is so charmingly naive. The tax burden will be shifted to future generations. As Cheney said, "Reagan proved deficits don't matter."
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #11
nelsondogg
Critical Thinker

I was convinced by Trump's budget directors explanation for cutting school lunch funding. No evidence whatsoever that feeding kids alleviates their hunger. Why, they just get hungry again in a few hours!

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, then feeding hungry kids is literally insane!
nelsondogg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:55 PM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's a brilliant stroke to stop illegal immigration by making America an undesirable place to live.
Old 17th March 2017, 12:56 PM   #13
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
I was convinced by Trump's budget directors explanation for cutting school lunch funding. No evidence whatsoever that feeding kids alleviates their hunger. Why, they just get hungry again in a few hours!
No more egg rolls for you!

- Chinese buffet guy to me and my high school friends, who knew he was so prescient.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 12:58 PM   #14
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Let's start with Arts . . . regardless of the size of the budget, why should any money be spend on stuff like the National Endowment of the Arts/Humanities?
Especially since that cut will almost pay for his golf trips--so far. School lunch cuts will get us through December.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:21 PM   #15
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...mp-budget.html

On Friday, the White House blasted out an email that included headlines from and links to favorable news articles—it’s just that one of those links was to a satirical comedy piece written by Washington Post columnist Alexandra Petri that mocks President Donald Trump’s new budget blueprint.

Petri’s “analysis,” titled, “Trump’s budget makes perfect sense and will fix America, and I will tell you why,” includes such lines as “AMERICA WILL BE STRONGER THAN IT HAS EVER BEEN! Anyone who survives will be a gun covered in the fur of a rare mammal, capable of fighting disease with a single muscular flex. RAW POWER! HARD RAW POWER GRRRRRR HISSS POW!”

It’s a small act of the Trump administration owning itself online that Petri finds wonderful.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:22 PM   #16
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

We fight other countries to protect federal funding for arts? Because our enemies want us to stop spending federal money on arts?

What in the Sam Hill are you talking about?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:23 PM   #17
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The holy and sacred flag.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:25 PM   #18
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Public libraries and museums bring art, history, and literature to the public for free. That's why.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:26 PM   #19
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Because it's for the good of the country. Morale, that sort of thing?
Old 17th March 2017, 01:29 PM   #20
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
We fight other countries to protect federal funding for arts? Because our enemies want us to stop spending federal money on arts?

What in the Sam Hill are you talking about?

Okay, let's take it slow, then. Why do we need a gigantic military budget?
Old 17th March 2017, 01:31 PM   #21
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Public libraries and museums bring art, history, and literature to the public for free. That's why.
And this requires federal funding... why? The vast majority isn't federal to begin with.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:32 PM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, let's take it slow, then. Why do we need a gigantic military budget?
It's your claim, Upchurch, not mine. Don't ask me to justify your position.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:35 PM   #23
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

And this requires federal funding... why? The vast majority isn't federal to begin with.
But it helps a great deal and is a very small portion of the budget.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:37 PM   #24
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

It's your claim, Upchurch, not mine. Don't ask me to justify your position.
Your reading comprehension is as solid as ever. Look again. It was not a claim, it was a question. You can tell because of the question mark.

The "question mark" is this thing ---> ?
Old 17th March 2017, 01:43 PM   #25
xjx388
Illuminator

Abolishing the NEA won't get rid of museums and libraries. Libraries and museums are funded locally; I'm a patron of several museums in my community and even in NYC and other areas. My city just repurposed an old Wal-Mart as a pretty impressive library. We don't need a federal agency to do what local communities should be doing.

One of the museums in my area has received several grants from NEA for exhibitions they wanted to bring down. If there was no NEA, there would still be the community of patrons and I'm sure we would support whatever the museum wanted to bring down.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:47 PM   #26
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

One of the museums in my area has received several grants from NEA for exhibitions they wanted to bring down. If there was no NEA, there would still be the community of patrons and I'm sure we would support whatever the museum wanted to bring down.
So, then, the libraries and museums would be more limited in how they could serve their public. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 17th March 2017, 01:50 PM   #27
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Especially since that cut will almost pay for his golf trips--so far. School lunch cuts will get us through December.
Awesome. But how many golf games can we get by getting rid of Meals on Wheels? Will that keep the golf games going through February?
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:52 PM   #28
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Awesome. But how many golf games can we get by getting rid of Meals on Wheels? Will that keep the golf games going through February?
I've heard that Meals on Wheels is equivalent to approximately one Trump weekend trip to his place in Florida. I have not looked into the actual numbers involved.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:55 PM   #29
xjx388
Illuminator

So, then, the libraries and museums would be more limited in how they could serve their public. Wouldn't you agree?
No. Eliminating the NEA would not limit what libraries could offer at all being that the NEA doesn't fund libraries.

It wouldn't limit museums either. They would still be able to offer the same things they always have, just as they did before the creation of the NEA in 1965.

You might have an argument that certain artists have benefited from NEA grants and maybe their particular art wouldn't get made but I don't think it's a very strong argument for the NEA. If they can't sell their art, I don't see why the taxpayers need to fund it.

Art isn't going away just because they cut the NEA.
Old 17th March 2017, 02:00 PM   #30
xjx388
Illuminator

For example, in my community, the NEA awarded a $25,000 grant to a Laura E. Perez for literature/creative writing. Yet I can't find any Google mention of a Laura E. Perez from McAllen having published anything. The closest I get is a Laura E. Perez who is a professor at Berkeley in California. If that's the same person, I think she could have gotten by without the $25,000 from the taxpayers. If it's not, then what the hell did our money go towards?

I'm of half a mind to submit a grant to NEA so I can pursue my unrequited dream of being a painter . . .
Old 17th March 2017, 02:17 PM   #31
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

No. Eliminating the NEA would not limit what libraries could offer at all being that the NEA doesn't fund libraries.
Sorry, I was going off of your earlier reference to the National Endowments for the Humanities.

It wouldn't limit museums either. They would still be able to offer the same things they always have, just as they did before the creation of the NEA in 1965.
Then why did your local museum apply for NEA grants?
Old 17th March 2017, 02:24 PM   #32
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

it's not the fact the government doesn't want to pay for those things, I suppose, even though one would think that a wealthy nation could at least contribute to the arts in some way, but it's the fact that the money is being redirected to the Military Industrial Complex and tax cuts for the rich that I have a problem with.
Old 17th March 2017, 02:25 PM   #33
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
it's not the fact the government doesn't want to pay for those things, I suppose, even though one would think that a wealthy nation could at least contribute to the arts in some way, but it's the fact that the money is being redirected to the Military Industrial Complex and tax cuts for the rich that I have a problem with.
Maybe, but why?

eta: to be more specific: Why is more money being redirected to the Military Industrial Complex? For what purpose?

Last edited by Upchurch; 17th March 2017 at 02:26 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 02:29 PM   #34
The Shrike
Illuminator

For example, in my community, the NEA awarded a $25,000 grant to a Laura E. Perez for literature/creative writing. . . . Yet I can't find any . . . mention of . . .having published anything.
If you Googled her and discovered that she's a professor at Berkeley, then why are you feigning ignorance of her publications? They're right there on the web page and it's a quite impressive publication record.

. . . I think she could have gotten by without the $25,000 from the taxpayers. If it's not, then what the hell did our money go towards?

I'm of half a mind . . .
Without more specifics on what that grant was for - or if it was even a grant as opposed to an honorary award - it's not possible to determine where the money went. It might have supported a graduate student, provide travel money for a series of lectures or research trips of her own, provided the means for Dr. Perez to cover some publications costs for her latest book, etc.

Tenured faculty typically collect their salary from their university. External grants provide the support they need to actually do things like conduct research and provide salary for their graduate students.

I've raised about $2 million in grants in my career, none of which has contributed to my salary, mortgage, etc. What it's done is allow me to create positions for the many people I've hired to work in my lab down through the years. Productive faculty are job creators. We are legally obligated to turn the cash we raise into new positions.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 02:32 PM   #35
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe, but why?

eta: to be more specific: Why is more money being redirected to the Military Industrial Complex? For what purpose?
I'm sure most Republicans believe that our military isn't strong enough to make America Great Again. I believe it's not that simple
Old 17th March 2017, 02:32 PM   #36
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 02:37 PM   #37
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Why can't the wealthy handle the funding of luxury items like new aircraft carriers?
Old 17th March 2017, 02:43 PM   #38
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Finally someone has the guts to stand up against museums, homelessness, environmental standards and hungry old folks.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 17th March 2017 at 02:46 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 02:46 PM   #39
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

But it helps a great deal
That's debatable.

Quote:
and is a very small portion of the budget.
If it doesn't cost very much, then it should be easy to make up the funding from other sources.
Old 17th March 2017, 02:50 PM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Your reading comprehension is as solid as ever. Look again. It was not a claim, it was a question. You can tell because of the question mark.
The claim I'm referring to was from your earlier post. I asked you to support your claim. Instead of supporting your claim, you want me to, with your question being the first step of what I'm sure you hoped would be a series.

When you want to insult someone's reading comprehension, it helps to not fail in that regard yourself.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics