IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags religious belief

Old 2nd January 2021, 11:07 PM   #41
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Purpose is something many people seem to need to know. I just was asked about this last week actually.

Not a ' what drives you on day after day ' purpose but ' why did god ' based question as if we are here to do some work of god.
He is almighty and omnipresent, why the hell would he need a worm like me to do his work, much less even exist?
Just to keep me busy?

His mind too needed that mission from god otherwise life is aimlessly drifting until a funeral.
I tried to explain it isn't aimless drifting as I made decisions to end up wherever I am doing whatever I do. I get to choose what is important and needs my efforts.

He didn't understand how to live like that. Despite having done exactly the same for 50 odd years with a little divine guidance added in.

We are all opportunistic and go where we can do something useful to survive, possibly live well. Its just a question of who takes credit of our success or failure along the way.

At least in my simplistic veiw.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:30 PM   #42
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
In my understanding, where 12-step programmes work at all, they mainly work with people who already have a highly religious worldview. They're not very good at converting nonbelievers.
AA has been working for me maintaining sobriety (currently almost a year and a half.)

However, it is the group dynamic/support system that helps me. The religious aspect of it (which hardcore 12-steppers will deny exists, in my view being too close to see it) is a big turn-off to my atheist self. Both the religions people bring in, and the dogmatic nature of 12-step programs themselves, creates some rabid hardcore adherents to the program whose "all or nothing" approach to the program does push me away at times.

I actually think some people just like the "private club" feel of AA more than actually trying to help others, which is supposed to be the ultimate goal: help yourself maintain sobriety by continuing to help others. I definitely get a bad "ivory tower" vibe from some of the long term members at times.
Old 3rd January 2021, 05:16 AM   #43
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
As well as that perhaps the faithful seem to crave purpose, where as the secularist is comfortable in the absence of such. I have discussed this with my late brother, who was incredulous at my lack of need to want to know why.
As, apparently, "why?" was the first word I learned, I tend to view the "why?" questions differently: more asking "why do I need a god to explain anything?" or "why do I need an externally mandated purpose?".

I've never had a credible answer from any religionist...And one got most upset when I suggested he go read Sartre's Roads to Freedom trilogy.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 05:46 AM   #44
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Why" questions are just "What" questions (intentionally) badly worded.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy