IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th December 2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Thor 2
Philosopher

A Silent Night Except For The Jingling Of Bells.

When shopping at this time of year our ears are buffeted, by a mixed collection of Christmas song. It amuses me considerably when I hear Silent Night followed by Jingle Bells. The two carols celebrating completely different events.

My past religious brother was most annoyed, at what he saw as the highjacking of Christmas, by Santa Claus. My counter argument, that it was in fact Christians that did the highjacking, when deciding to make December 25, the time of the birth of The Son, instead of the birth of The Sun, was not received well.
Old 18th December 2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno. Both songs celebrate different kinds of joy, right?

Pair Silent Night against The Kinks Father Christmas and you got yourself a horse race

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Who gives a **** about the Christmas stuff and decorations. Don’t get me started on the ******* carols.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Who gives a **** about the Christmas stuff and decorations. Donít get me started on the ******* carols.
Alright... take a breath, Melanie.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 03:38 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
When shopping at this time of year our ears are buffeted, by a mixed collection of Christmas song. It amuses me considerably when I hear Silent Night followed by Jingle Bells. The two carols celebrating completely different events.

My past religious brother was most annoyed, at what he saw as the highjacking of Christmas, by Santa Claus. My counter argument, that it was in fact Christians that did the highjacking, when deciding to make December 25, the time of the birth of The Son, instead of the birth of The Sun, was not received well.
The birth of the sun or the birth of the year seems like the appropriate season to celebrate the birth of the deity. I'm sorry pagans think they're entitled to a monopoly on calendars and seasons. #sorrynotsorry.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The birth of the sun or the birth of the year seems like the appropriate season to celebrate the birth of the deity. I'm sorry pagans think they're entitled to a monopoly on calendars and seasons. #sorrynotsorry.

I remember reading Bertrand Russell many years ago, addressing the question of whether religion had any beneficial results. Begrudgingly he conceded it encouraged the setting of calendars.
Old 18th December 2020, 04:01 PM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Last weekend I had to pick up some things at Home Depot, and of course there was Chrismas music playing. I actually found it enjoyable because staying at home and listening to my own music, I hadn't already been bombarded with the tunes.
Old 18th December 2020, 06:11 PM   #8
EHocking
Philosopher

Who gives a **** about the Christmas stuff and decorations. Donít get me started on the ******* carols.
This post sounds more like a Karen than a Carol.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Last weekend I had to pick up some things at Home Depot, and of course there was Chrismas music playing. I actually found it enjoyable because staying at home and listening to my own music, I hadn't already been bombarded with the tunes.
Wait, what? "Last weekend"? Hell, it was already December. I've been seeing Christmas Crappe in the stores since October!
Old 18th December 2020, 07:21 PM   #10
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I do xmas for the family and repress my inner grinch.

Before I married xmas season was joyful for egg nog and pumpkin pies in the stores. But I avoided dept stores from late November to 3rd of January.

I still enjoy giving gifts but that horrible music should be stopped.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 08:31 PM   #11
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Wait, what? "Last weekend"? Hell, it was already December. I've been seeing Christmas Crappe in the stores since October!
Speaks to how isolated I've been.
Old 19th December 2020, 12:16 AM   #12
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

My workplace has begun mixing Christmas songs in with the regular ones. But whoever runs our playlist has/have gone out of his/her/their way to pick the very worst Christmas music they can find. There's not a single one that actually sounds like a Christmas carol. We're just getting 1980s/1990s pop rejects and some things that are so excessively slowed down they seem to be trying to make the holiday sound sad.

My counter argument, that it was in fact Christians that did the highjacking, when deciding to make December 25, the time of the birth of The Son, instead of the birth of The Sun, was not received well.
That's not how the date was picked. The first guy to say it was on the winter solstice spelled out his reasoning quite clearly (although I don't recall his name.) It was based on the idea that Jesus was conceived in spring, because he died in spring and people expected the beginning & ending dates for his life, with conception being the beginning, to match. (Also it was more natural to think of equinoxes as signifiers of important change than soltices.) And this author wrote this determination many years earlier than we can really trace back the evidence for most aspects of what we now think of as Christmas overall, so there wasn't anything much like "Christmas" around yet to even think of trying to merge Jesus's birthday into.

For stuff I wouldn't expect most Christians to like hearing about Christmas, I'm surprised I don't more often encounter non-Christians quoting the Bible verses that seem to ban Christmas trees. That's really not quite what they're saying (there were no objects we could really call "Christmas trees" to ban in ancient Israel/Judah/Palestine), but the explanation only takes it farther away from what Christians would expect. It's referring to ancient Jewish worship of one of their dozens of other gods, from back when Yahweh was just one of them, although he was apparently already their favorite. The decorated tree (sometimes translated as a pole anyway) was a symbol of not just any other god but Yahweh's/El's wife. When the Jews were still in the process of narrowing down their range of gods, she was one of the last to go, so there are relatively late temples with two altars: one for him and one for her. The Old Testament was written while the monotheists were still in the process of trying to stamp out that kind of thing.

I remember reading Bertrand Russell many years ago, addressing the question of whether religion had any beneficial results. Begrudgingly he conceded it encouraged the setting of calendars.
Interesting... my first reaction was that planning for agriculture, war, and nomadic/migratory lifestyles all called for ability to predict seasons, but then I noticed that the level of precision is lower. Seasonal matters don't require having anything down to a specific day; they work on a scale that only really changes (reliably) on the order of a few weeks.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 08:25 AM   #13
SteveAitch
Thinker

This is all very well, just beware Whamaggedon!
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 12:53 PM   #14
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

That's not how the date was picked. The first guy to say it was on the winter solstice spelled out his reasoning quite clearly (although I don't recall his name.)

Be interesting to know the name of this first guy.

From the ever reliable Wikki:

Quote:
Though December 25 is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, the date itself and several of the customs we've come to associate with Christmas actually evolved from pagan traditions celebrating the winter solstice.

"Christmas is really about bringing out your inner pagan," historian Kenneth C. Davis told "CBS This Morning." According to Davis, Christmas was celebrated as early as the fourth century, suggesting that it had almost nothing to do with Jesus Christ.

"In ancient Rome there was a feast called Saturnalia that celebrated the solstice. What is the solstice? It's the day that the sun starts coming back, the days start getting longer. And most of the traditions that we have that relate to Christmas relate to the solstice, which was celebrated in ancient Rome on December 25. So when Christianity became the official religion in a sense, in Rome, they were able to fix this date. ... There's a little discrepancy about it but there's no question that the fact that it was celebrated in Rome as an important day with gift giving, candle lighting, and singing and decorating houses really cemented Christmas as December 25."
Old 20th December 2020, 09:04 AM   #15
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The first guy to say it was on the winter solstice spelled out his reasoning quite clearly (although I don't recall his name.) It was based on the idea that Jesus was conceived in spring, because he died in spring and people expected the beginning & ending dates for his life, with conception being the beginning, to match.
Be interesting to know the name of this first guy.
It turned out to be anonymous.

Originally Posted by anonymous treatise On Solstices And Equinoxes (300s; 4th Century)
Therefore our Lord was conceived on the 8th of the kalends of April in the month of March (March 25th), which is the day of the Passion of the Lord and of his conception, for on that day he was conceived and on the same day he suffered.

Not long after that, the conclusion and the importance of Jesus's conception being the same date as his death were also accepted and expanded upon by Saint Augustine, who did some numerology with it while making his case about the importance of the numbers 40 and 6:
Originally Posted by On The Trinity, by Saint Augustine (early 400s; early 5th Century)
He is believed to have been conceived on the 25th of March, upon which day also He suffered... He was born, according to tradition, upon December the 25th. If, then you reckon from that day to this, you find 276 days, which is 46◊6. And in this number of years (46) the temple was built, because in that number of sixes (of days) the body of the Lord was perfected...

And those are the only comments about the date of Jesus's birth from anywhere near that early. Not only is there no text from back then saying his birth date should be assigned to the same time of year as Saturnalia, but there aren't any from critics claiming that that had been how it went either. So when & where did the idea first appear?
Originally Posted by Jacob Bar-Salibi
It was a custom of the pagans to celebrate on the same December 25th the birthday of the Sun. In these solemnities and revelries the Christians also took part. Accordingly, when the doctors of the Church perceived that the Christians had a leaning to this festival, they took counsel and resolved that the true Nativity should be solemnized on that day.
Both the "when" and the "where" are significant. Jacob Bar-Salibi was born in eastern Turkey in the early 1100s, became bishop of a Syriac Orthodox church in eastern Turkey in 1154, and died in 1171. In eastern Christianity, in & around the Byzantine Empire, Christmas was on January 6th (which itself also goes a bit against the Saturnalia connection anyway). So not only were there between 7 and 8 centuries of linking Jesus's conception date and death date before the idea that Saturnalia had anything to do with it showed up, but also, the Saturnalia thing came from an eastern writer trying to come up with an explanation for why those western weirdos got it wrong.

But there's still a tiny bit more. Given the fact that eastern churches also put Jesus's death on April 6th instead of March 25th, the same reasoning based on a 9-month gap applies to both the eastern and western date sets. So it looks like the link between Jesus's death and conception was already established before the eastern & western Christian calendars split. Jacob Bar-Salibi thought an explanation was needed for why the westerners got one date wrong, but, if he had noticed at the same time that they also had the other date wrong, he might have figured out that the westerners actually had both of them wrong in the same way and thus actually agreed with him on the connection between the two dates.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:44 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Personally, I despise Christmas music. Hate it. Absolutely hate it with a fiery passion that surpasses reason. Except perhaps for White Wine In The Sun. But I am not curmudgeonly enough to allow my dislike of something from spoiling someone else's fun.

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
This is all very well, just beware Whamaggedon!
All my FFriends are doing it, but I honestly wouldn't even recognise it if I heard it.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:17 AM   #17
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I love everything about family time and Christmas.

Except Fake Christians. No objection to the Salvation Army and genuine Samaritans, with no grudge for their holding to myth. The rest can go stuff a stocking with Rapture coupons, then have a dance with St. Vitus.
Old 22nd December 2020, 02:35 AM   #18
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Personally, I despise Christmas music. Hate it. Absolutely hate it with a fiery passion that surpasses reason. Except perhaps for White Wine In The Sun. But I am not curmudgeonly enough to allow my dislike of something from spoiling someone else's fun.
What? Even this?
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:16 AM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The one I've really come to hate this year is "Iiiiiiilllll Be Hoooooooomme for Chrisssssssst-maaaaaaaaaaass...". Last year's version was sung by one of the resident kids but this year it's some country singer. It's for the Shriner's Hospital whose commercials always make me feel like those kids are exploited and on display. I don't even think the song is particularly appropriate to their situations.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:07 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The one I've really come to hate this year is "Iiiiiiilllll Be Hoooooooomme for Chrisssssssst-maaaaaaaaaaass...". Last year's version was sung by one of the resident kids but this year it's some country singer. It's for the Shriner's Hospital whose commercials always make me feel like those kids are exploited and on display. I don't even think the song is particularly appropriate to their situations.
And the same kids have been on their ads for what seems like decades, and never get older. It's creepy!
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:54 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I once had a co-worker who habitually whistled Christmas carols in the workplace. All year long. Mid summer, he's in the break room filling out paperwork, whistling Christmas carols.

His explanation: "So you'll have Christmas carols stuck in your head all year." He wasn't religious or fanatical about Christmas or anything like that. He just thought it was hilarious to give people Christmas carol earworms out of season.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:11 PM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I once had a co-worker who habitually whistled Christmas carols in the workplace. All year long. Mid summer, he's in the break room filling out paperwork, whistling Christmas carols.

His explanation: "So you'll have Christmas carols stuck in your head all year." He wasn't religious or fanatical about Christmas or anything like that. He just thought it was hilarious to give people Christmas carol earworms out of season.
I'd spit in his coffee just for the whistling. I hate whistling.
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:11 PM   #23
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Westboro Baptist uses a similar strategy to bring out the best in folks.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:31 PM   #24
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

I'm with you there arth. The continuous repetition on and on just drives me nuts. Just as well we aren't subjected to the same thing at Easter, although the ring of a hammer striking a nail might be melodious.
Old 22nd December 2020, 05:27 PM   #25
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Personally I love Christmas music. There are only a few of the "usual suspect" songs I despise.

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
What? Even this?
This is one I hate but fortunately for me it hasn't crossed the pond so I never have to hear it.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 05:54 PM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm with you there arth. The continuous repetition on and on just drives me nuts. Just as well we aren't subjected to the same thing at Easter, although the ring of a hammer striking a nail might be melodious.
Part of my problem is that most of the traditional Christmas music is explicitly religious in nature. That makes sense. But Christmas long been entirely divorced from whatever religious feelings I might ever have had so it doesn't make sense to me to sing what are essentially hymns of praise.

Those Christmas songs that aren't explicitly religious are inane. They are for the most part musically uninteresting and repetitive, or designed specifically to get into your head and never leave until displaced by the next brainlessly happy melody.

If someone likes their Christmas music, that's fine by me. If they insist on playing it in my earshot, I will leave the area.

Oh, and Rudolf is an awful song about how everyone makes fun of the deformed kid until one day he becomes useful to them.
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:25 PM   #27
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Personally I love Christmas music. There are only a few of the "usual suspect" songs I despise.

This is one I hate but fortunately for me it hasn't crossed the pond so I never have to hear it.
Like all music, it all comes down to the performance. With a bit of artistic license and injection of personality even Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer could be a winner. A lot of what we hear in the shopping mall is muzak.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:35 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Like all music, it all comes down to the performance. With a bit of artistic license and injection of personality even Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer could be a winner. A lot of what we hear in the shopping mall is muzak.
It is the latter that is most ubiquitous and hardest to avoid.
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:13 PM   #29
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I once had a co-worker who habitually whistled Christmas carols in the workplace. All year long. Mid summer, he's in the break room filling out paperwork, whistling Christmas carols. ...
I am a nurse, tending to demented people in a senior citizens residence.

One July, on a particularly hot day, I was giving a particular resident a shower, and all the while we talked about singing, and he remembered how he used to sing in a church choir, and how the best service was Christmas Eve, and particularly when the choir and everyone sang "Silent Night". And then, we both sang Silent Night, loudly, with all our hearts, while sweating in a hot July bathroom. I have never seen that man so happy before or after.
Actually one of my fondest stories from my work so far, never fails to water my eyes
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:39 PM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

One July, on a particularly hot day, I was giving a particular resident a shower, and all the while we talked about singing, and he remembered how he used to sing in a church choir, and how the best service was Christmas Eve, and particularly when the choir and everyone sang "Silent Night". And then, we both sang Silent Night, loudly, with all our hearts, while sweating in a hot July bathroom. I have never seen that man so happy before or after.
Actually one of my fondest stories from my work so far, never fails to water my eyes
I was going to make a gripey post of my own but I liked yours so much I decided to enjoy it instead.
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:43 PM   #31
Thor 2
Philosopher

Oh come on alfaniner, lets see your gripey post.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:09 PM   #32
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

2nded
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:41 PM   #33
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

I like that
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:35 PM   #34
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

OK.
Even as of today I'm seeing a couple commercials with Christmas themes. The one that really pisses me off is the freezing dogs one, which starts with a long, dolly-in shot of the saddest-looking boxer you've ever seen. And The First Noel starts. And goes on... and on... The only reason for using that song is for when the voiceover stops and you get to hear "on a cold winter's night that was so deep." There's a similar one for homeless kids that uses Silent Night.

I hate that they use peaceful, evocative music that has nothing to do with the subject matter. And every time I see it I say "Put the camera down and tend to that poor dog!" But by now I dive for that remote when it starts.

Last edited by alfaniner; 3rd January 2021 at 06:36 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:33 PM   #35
Thor 2
Philosopher

Well done alfaniner! I give you 9 out of 10 for that gripe.

I want to see more gripes and less of the mussy stuff.
Old 5th January 2021, 01:13 PM   #36
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Oh come alfaniner,
gripey and reluctant ...
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy