IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags religious belief

Old 18th December 2020, 08:12 PM   #1
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It's All Your Fault You Evil Secularists

Why American Children Stopped Believing in God

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...ieving-in-god/

Quote:
It turns out that religiosity is usually determined very early in life. All the data suggest that, by and large, kids brought up in religious households stay religious and kids who arenít, donít. Consequently, childhood religiosity has been, and remains, the most important indicator of Americaís religious trajectory. The story of religious decline in America is not the story of adults consciously rejecting the faith of their forefathers: Itís the story of each generation receiving a more secular upbringing than the generation preceding it. What accounts for this secularization of childhood over time? Taxpayer dollars.
Old 18th December 2020, 08:28 PM   #2
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Yup, it works like a charm.

My son just did 1st Communion with no clue as to why mom said it was important. He tried to leave the ceremony early too.

Made me proud. He has rejected religion at age 10.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

The interesting thing is that the article is acknowledging that the only way you can get people to accept religion is to get to them before they can think for themselves.

As adults, we are able to examine evidence, look at all sides, reason about what we know about the world, and history, and the way people think and behave. As adults, darned near zero people suddenly realize that if they didn't start going to church on Sunday they would end up in Hell.
Old 18th December 2020, 09:51 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nonsense.
Kids I know believe in way more Gods than just one (Thor, Loki, Zeus, Poseidon, etc.).
That makes them the most religious ever!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 03:12 AM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The interesting thing is that the article is acknowledging that the only way you can get people to accept religion is to get to them before they can think for themselves.

As adults, we are able to examine evidence, look at all sides, reason about what we know about the world, and history, and the way people think and behave. As adults, darned near zero people suddenly realize that if they didn't start going to church on Sunday they would end up in Hell.
Generally speaking, I agree. However, how does that account for people who "find God" later in their lives?
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 04:59 AM   #6
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Job well done, if you ask me.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So the problem is...?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 07:46 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Generally speaking, I agree. However, how does that account for people who "find God" later in their lives?
you mean those court-ordered to attend 12-step programs?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 08:29 AM   #9
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Last good stats I heard any 12 step program has about the same real recovery rate as going cold turkey. About 5%, I would assume the religion sticks equally.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 08:56 AM   #10
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Acquired brain damage.
Old 19th December 2020, 09:31 AM   #11
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

They are those for whom "generally speaking" does not apply.

Hans
Old 19th December 2020, 12:35 PM   #12
Thor 2
Philosopher

Be interesting if we can see some stats about this. I suspect the number of folk who "find God" later in their lives, would be quite small. I also suspect they may have had some conditioning in childhood, that they suppressed until it welled up in their later years. Such was the case with my brother who "saw the light" when he was 18.

Last edited by Thor 2; 19th December 2020 at 12:38 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 12:56 PM   #13
SteveAitch
Thinker

Intimations of mortality - an excess of imagination, allowing them to see the forthcoming 'event' too clearly?

If you see what I mean.
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 01:18 PM   #14
dann
Penultimate Amazing

You should read the whole thing, including the moral of the story:
Quote:
The time has come for religious parents to take their children back from the state. It simply will not do anymore for faithful Americans to drop their sons and daughters off at the curbside every morning for the government to collect as if they were taking out the trash.
(...)
But the only real road to religious revival is the one that begins with each parentís first step out of the public schoolís doors.
The lack of religious indoctrination in school is to blame for the secularization, so the solution is religious schools!
Thank God this analysis is completely wrong!
I have a feeling the kids sent to those institutions will hate their parents for it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2020, 01:28 PM   #15
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't, so obviously the previous statement is not 100% true.

My experience of such people is that most of them are "refinding God", as in they grew up Christian but never really believed, or maybe paid lip service to the belief but never gave it much thought. Later in life, usually after some emotional crisis, they latch onto belief in God as a means of getting them out of the crisis.

Of course, some exceptions apply.
Old 19th December 2020, 04:05 PM   #16
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
You should read the whole thing, including the moral of the story:

The lack of religious indoctrination in school is to blame for the secularization, so the solution is religious schools!
Thank God this analysis is completely wrong!
I have a feeling the kids sent to those institutions will hate their parents for it.
You would be quite correct in the kids forced into religious schools hating it.

My 3 younger siblings were not as good at dodging it as I was.

My two sisters kinda faked the church stuff enough to pass and my brother did a fairly straight up refusal to participate. He didn't give a ****.

Him getting back into a public school his last year was a nasty battle but he won.
Old 19th December 2020, 05:08 PM   #17
Thor 2
Philosopher

It's noteworthy that the tone of the presentation is supporting all religious persuasions. This is somewhat contrary to the history we know about the harmony between different religions, even different sects of those religions.
Old 20th December 2020, 07:00 AM   #18
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The fall of religiousity in Europe was tracked as government assumed the role religion had in caring for the sick, orphans, poor, and so on. Some of the very earliest writings on Christianity not in the Bible itself discuss how attractive it was to converts because of the selfless leading by example in those exact things. No concern even for one's own health when caring for the diseased sick.

As such, politics replaces religion in all but name. You do all these things not for Jesus, but for whatever loudmouth demagogue of the week is yabbering at you.

The form remains the same: gather as many followers as possible so you can seize the ring of power. Then you no longer need rely on mere persuasion to get more followers, but can force everybody to your god. Those at the top continue to live the sweet life for waving their hands and chanting pleasing words, and somehow their family coffers mysteriously fill.

Freedom disappears either way. Freedom is still the goal, and we will not fully have it until the last politician is choked with the entrails of the last priest.

We live in a very religious society. It just doesn't mention God anymore. People still rage, as ordered by their priests, to treat the lay people on the other side as hellbound dupes lead by actively evil demons.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 20th December 2020 at 07:03 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2020, 12:19 PM   #19
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
We live in a very religious society. It just doesn't mention God anymore.
Jesus Christ, how long have I been asleep? When did this happen?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2020, 12:28 PM   #20
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Every household must, by law, have two nativity scenes set up on their front lawn at Christmas. One for them, and the other for a tragically poor secular family. It will help make it more Christian if they are decorated with thousands of flashing lights, just like it happened in ancient Bethlehem.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2020, 01:23 PM   #21
Thor 2
Philosopher

Excerpt from article kindly linked by Gord_in_Toronto:

Quote:
Stoneís research helps us to understand the decline of religious faith in America over the past 60 years. Secularization is, to be sure, a hugely overdetermined development in American history, and just about everyone has a theory about how itís happened and why. Religious conservatives would probably cite the loosening of the countryís morals that began in the í60s and í70s.

So. The loosening of the countries morals led to the decline in religiosity. Simultaneously, the decline in religious belief led to the loosening of morals. This is the kind of circular reasoning that resonates with the religious.
Old 21st December 2020, 03:29 AM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Excerpt from article kindly linked by Gord_in_Toronto:

So. The loosening of the countries morals led to the decline in religiosity. Simultaneously, the decline in religious belief led to the loosening of morals. This is the kind of circular reasoning that resonates with the religious.
It is a positive feedback loop.
1. Due to a reduction in religious beliefs certain restrictions that exist only to please the religious are removed.
2. When the universe does not collapse due to these changes religious beliefs are reduced.
3. Go to step 1.
Old 21st December 2020, 06:06 AM   #23
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Every household must, by law, have two nativity scenes set up on their front lawn at Christmas. One for them, and the other for a tragically poor secular family. It will help make it more Christian if they are decorated with thousands of flashing lights, just like it happened in ancient Bethlehem.
Oh *slaps forehead* the word was "NATIVITY!" I always thought it's supposed to represent how she got pregnant. (Let's just say, google, "splash conception.") As I explained. To quite a number of police officers on my lawn

You'd think they could just send one or two to sort it out, but that's nanny state and tax money at work, folks
Old 21st December 2020, 08:18 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I always find it amusing that countries (“western world”) with established churches seem to be the ones that are more non-religious or out and out atheist.
Old 21st December 2020, 09:00 AM   #25
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I always find it amusing that countries (“western world”) with established churches seem to be the ones that are more non-religious or out and out atheist.
Perhaps this is an indication that governments are not very good at running religions.

A possible reason for this is that an overly structured state religion can't respond quickly to market trends, resulting in loss of customers.

The US model of free market religion can respond better by modifying beliefs to accommodate sales trends, or launching whole new brands. "Free Range Gods!"

Edit to add: It occurs that it is also possible that state religions are badly run deliberately to encourage secularism, in which case: Good job Europeans!

Last edited by Pope130; 21st December 2020 at 09:12 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:30 AM   #26
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

A lot of state religions in Europe were a result of the wars of religion in the 1600's and were at least partially instated to prevent that bloodshed from occurring again.

Those fanatics that REALLY wanted to be free to kill those that disagreed with them emigrated to the America's.
Sorry guys.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 11:52 AM   #27
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
A lot of state religions in Europe were a result of the wars of religion in the 1600's and were at least partially instated to prevent that bloodshed from occurring again.

Those fanatics that REALLY wanted to be free to kill those that disagreed with them emigrated to the America's.
Sorry guys.
I'm familiar with that from family history. I'm descended from Susana Martin, one of the last Salem women executed as witches, and related to Sarah Good, one of the first.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 01:14 PM   #28
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Last good stats I heard any 12 step program has about the same real recovery rate as going cold turkey. About 5%, I would assume the religion sticks equally.
I think an assessment like that requires a little more detail. Do you mean literally "cold turkey" only, or more generally attempting to quit without a program? It seems like "cold turkey" is too specific a method to be the default contrasting statistic to AA. There are other ways to attempt it without AA.

As well, you might get differing results based on how you define recovery. Still sober after a year? Three? Ten? What about someone who's had some relapses but still mostly sober?

Should we include on the "AA" side, other programs that include a relationship with a sponsor (which I consider the true signature element)?

Which is just to say that it may not be easy to paint such a clear picture. It could be the statistics you looked at went into all of that. I'd be interested in reading it.

Last edited by gnome; 21st December 2020 at 01:16 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2020, 03:13 PM   #29
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Yup, cold turkey as in no program or organization behind the person changing thier lives.

It was on Penn and Teller BS show when they did a part on these AA and similar church run addiction programs.
They had done the research and found the magic percentage off a government study, and not from the programs themselves. Elimination of the bias.

My own life experience reflects thier ideas.
Old 21st December 2020, 07:09 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

In my understanding, where 12-step programmes work at all, they mainly work with people who already have a highly religious worldview. They're not very good at converting nonbelievers.
Old 28th December 2020, 02:42 AM   #31
Tassman
Graduate Poster

I agree with that. We are programmed by genes and social pressures, and take our decisions either deterministically or randomly Ė but not freely. We are largely what we have been acculturated to be.
Old 28th December 2020, 05:11 AM   #32
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The implication from the story is that "religious education in public schools is good and necessary", and thus the inverse is therefore "bad". And that things used to be "good" before religious education was removed.

As far as I can tell, this is basic simplistic propaganda. I would wonder how much the writer thinks it is true, and who he is preaching to. (He appears young...)

My insta-Google search just now says religious instruction was removed about 1963 as the result of a certain court case. That was nigh on 60 years ago now. And yet somehow the USA has soldiered on reasonably successfully since then.

What this author seems to fail to explain is that US public schools are not religion-free. Students are taught ABOUT religion, in many different ways. And students are free to express their religion as well, within certain bounds of propriety, I gather. So it is not like teachers patrol the grounds and classrooms looking for recalcitrants mumbling the Lord's Prayer into their lockers, or holding secretive prayer meetings under the bleachers.

Instead, the obvious deduction is that increased education in a wider variety of skills, and more exposure to cultures, thoughts and technologies, has acted as a vaccination against the more restrictive religious teachings. People like this author simply cannot allow people to question religious instruction. Not content with holding their own views to themselves, they want to impose them on others. More simply: they want to be the Thought Police.

But this isn't new, by any means.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 07:47 AM   #33
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The implication from the story is that "religious education in public schools is good and necessary", and thus the inverse is therefore "bad". And that things used to be "good" before religious education was removed.

As far as I can tell, this is basic simplistic propaganda. I would wonder how much the writer thinks it is true, and who he is preaching to. (He appears young...)

My insta-Google search just now says religious instruction was removed about 1963 as the result of a certain court case. That was nigh on 60 years ago now. And yet somehow the USA has soldiered on reasonably successfully since then.

What this author seems to fail to explain is that US public schools are not religion-free. Students are taught ABOUT religion, in many different ways. And students are free to express their religion as well, within certain bounds of propriety, I gather. So it is not like teachers patrol the grounds and classrooms looking for recalcitrants mumbling the Lord's Prayer into their lockers, or holding secretive prayer meetings under the bleachers.

Instead, the obvious deduction is that increased education in a wider variety of skills, and more exposure to cultures, thoughts and technologies, has acted as a vaccination against the more restrictive religious teachings. People like this author simply cannot allow people to question religious instruction. Not content with holding their own views to themselves, they want to impose them on others. More simply: they want to be the Thought Police.

But this isn't new, by any means.

From personal experience as a child -- at least on step on the road to "losing" your religion is learning that there are other religions.
Old 28th December 2020, 08:03 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

From personal experience as a child -- at least on step on the road to "losing" your religion is learning that there are other religions.
That's why the whole "Oh but you see all religions are trying to say the same thing but are just looking at it differently..." stuff ticks me off so much. It's not just pandering rationalization, it's hilariously false and dangerous.

Penn Jillette said, and I agree, that intellectually he respects fundamentalist more than wishy-washy "Oh we all make our own path" people.

He said something to the effect of "If you say 'I think the world works this way' and I say 'No you are wrong the world works this way' that is how we get to truth. 'Oh you see nobody is wrong, everybody is just going their own way' is how you speak to a child, and I bristle at that."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:23 PM   #35
Galaxie
Muse

Agreed. I went to a Lutheran school from Kindergarten to 8th grade. All I was ever told is that Martin Luther was right, and everyone that came before or after was wrong. So right there, I was like, "Wait, why are there still Catholics then? And what about these Mormons who come to my door?"

Then I went to a public high school and the first history class had a unit on religions. Oops! Imagine my surprise to find out Christianity isn't anything special.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 06:00 PM   #36
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's why the whole "Oh but you see all religions are trying to say the same thing but are just looking at it differently..." stuff ticks me off so much. It's not just pandering rationalization, it's hilariously false and dangerous.

Penn Jillette said, and I agree, that intellectually he respects fundamentalist more than wishy-washy "Oh we all make our own path" people.

He said something to the effect of "If you say 'I think the world works this way' and I say 'No you are wrong the world works this way' that is how we get to truth. 'Oh you see nobody is wrong, everybody is just going their own way' is how you speak to a child, and I bristle at that."

Yes and yes.

I am continually stunned by the way the religious just will not address this issue. There are different religions and the one you are stuck with, happens to be depends on where you were born. Those who try to blend the religions and make them somehow complimentary, are pathetic. Jesus is the only way ........ but ??
Old 30th December 2020, 07:51 PM   #37
8enotto
Graduate Poster

There is a program on our version of the pbs channels that once a week does a respectful, if theology neutral show of a different church type in Mexico.

The have done Scientology, deep fundy types, a gay Catholic type church and others over the last year.

The more off the wall loose types had no qualms about editing the same bible all the christian types use to casually not mention stuff that others know is sinful. Happy clappy gay catholics in a church with a rainbow on the wall in place of a crucifix. Saying all the same basic things as the fundy types except they are going to hell for a mortal sin.

And the other saying they are without doubt.

Nobody wants to be wrong, but if they can get a person to become religious they probably can fill his head with ideas to become their version of the one true church.
But the minds closed to religious belief at all are useless to them.

In this it makes sense to get the mark to open to the idea of any religious belief then convince them yours is the best version.

Its how my dad tried to pull us from perceived catholic to his fundy beliefs as teens.
But both parents telling the kids the other is dead wrong, and neither able to evidence how theirs was so right made 3 of us lazy atheists, one a mix of Lutheran and Jewish, and the oldest stayed catholic.

For some its important work to save souls. For others its a pain in the backside to have to deal with them at all.

Last edited by 8enotto; 30th December 2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 1st January 2021, 01:05 PM   #38
Thor 2
Philosopher

There is a program on our version of the pbs channels that once a week does a respectful, if theology neutral show of a different church type in Mexico.

The have done Scientology, deep fundy types, a gay Catholic type church and others over the last year.

The more off the wall loose types had no qualms about editing the same bible all the christian types use to casually not mention stuff that others know is sinful. Happy clappy gay catholics in a church with a rainbow on the wall in place of a crucifix. Saying all the same basic things as the fundy types except they are going to hell for a mortal sin.

And the other saying they are without doubt.

As an evil secularist, I can never understand the minds of the faithful. The faithful who stand condemned by scripture, and yet try to mould the religion, that clearly has them plummeting to damnation, into a modified form that embraces them. It sure beats me.

Happy clappy gay Catholics? Jesus Christ in a tutu perhaps? I wonder about Francis's take on this. No not Francis so much I suppose, but his more conservative frocked entourage.

Quote:
Nobody wants to be wrong, but if they can get a person to become religious they probably can fill his head with ideas to become their version of the one true church.
But the minds closed to religious belief at all are useless to them.

In this it makes sense to get the mark to open to the idea of any religious belief then convince them yours is the best version.

So you think if faith is there in some form, the person is more susceptible to be converted to another faith, in line with that of the converter?

Quote:
Its how my dad tried to pull us from perceived catholic to his fundy beliefs as teens.
But both parents telling the kids the other is dead wrong, and neither able to evidence how theirs was so right made 3 of us lazy atheists, one a mix of Lutheran and Jewish, and the oldest stayed catholic.

For some its important work to save souls. For others its a pain in the backside to have to deal with them at all.

Thanks for your interesting glimpses, into your religiously mixed up family 8enotto. I can imagine some chaotic scenes.
Old 1st January 2021, 03:40 PM   #39
8enotto
Graduate Poster

The mind of the faithful seems to need guidance where the secular mind finds solutions in the real world. No magic or almighty forces required.
I was told by a deeply rooted fundy guy that those solutions are deception by the devil and we must pray for guidance to be on a true path.

I didn't continue the conversation from there for just knowing it dead ended. He knew THE TRUTH and that was it.

My dad was converted to six exclusive apocolyptic churches over time and the key thing to him was that but a small number of faithful would get to heaven. Always under 10,000, after all god must like only the most true to him, not those that came close.
He lived an austere life and spent his days in bible study after he retired. At least he wasn't a hypocrite.
If anyone would know how to slide from one set of details to another without upsetting his core faith it was him. He had no shame is applying the tactics to anyone that would listen to him talk.

Chaotic moments to epic battles of agreements made decades ago being violated or being unfair. Depending on your side.
Most of the time an uneasy peace with everyone avoiding certian topics at any cost.
Twenty odd years of that ended in a divorce that gave everyone but my younger siblings freedom. They had to fight three more years to get freedom from religion.
Old 2nd January 2021, 01:34 PM   #40
Thor 2
Philosopher

The mind of the faithful seems to need guidance where the secular mind finds solutions in the real world. No magic or almighty forces required.

As well as that perhaps the faithful seem to crave purpose, where as the secularist is comfortable in the absence of such. I have discussed this with my late brother, who was incredulous at my lack of need to want to know why.

Quote:
I was told by a deeply rooted fundy guy that those solutions are deception by the devil and we must pray for guidance to be on a true path.

I didn't continue the conversation from there for just knowing it dead ended. He knew THE TRUTH and that was it.

The smug certainty of these guys, that they are indeed being guided on the true path and not deceived by the Devil, is impossible to dent. They just know is the answer and the veracity of their certainty cannot be measured by any means.

Quote:
My dad was converted to six exclusive apocolyptic churches over time and the key thing to him was that but a small number of faithful would get to heaven. Always under 10,000, after all god must like only the most true to him, not those that came close.
He lived an austere life and spent his days in bible study after he retired. At least he wasn't a hypocrite.
If anyone would know how to slide from one set of details to another without upsetting his core faith it was him. He had no shame is applying the tactics to anyone that would listen to him talk.

Chaotic moments to epic battles of agreements made decades ago being violated or being unfair. Depending on your side.
Most of the time an uneasy peace with everyone avoiding certian topics at any cost.
Twenty odd years of that ended in a divorce that gave everyone but my younger siblings freedom. They had to fight three more years to get freedom from religion.

There may be some truth to the belief that marrying outside your faith is not a good idea.

Last edited by Thor 2; 2nd January 2021 at 01:38 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy