ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2017, 07:39 PM   #1
mgidm86
Illuminator

101 Year Old Woman Sets 100m-Dash Record

I couldn't resist this one. Photos and video included:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Quote:
Runner's World's Jenny McCoy reported in May that Hawkins first took up competitive running after she turned 100. Hawkins told McCoy she was looking to embark on a new challenge.

"I knew I could run because I'm always in the yard working, and when the phone rings, I go running inside to answer it," she said. "I thought it'd be fun to run 100 meters since I'm more than 100 years old."

My Gramma was 94 and used a walker a lot, and was considered as "doing very well for her age"!

This woman can do the hundred in less than 40 seconds! Say wha'???
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 01:25 AM   #2
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Nice one .

"101 Year Old Woman Sets 100m-Dash Record [... for women 100 years or older]"

I was wondering why it took 40 seconds for 100 meter.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 09:10 AM   #3
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

What's the record for a 100 year old man to run 100 meters? I might take a shot at that in 47 years.
Old 17th July 2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
What's the record for a 100 year old man to run 100 meters? I might take a shot at that in 47 years.
Same age as you. Bring it on! That is if I remember of course...
Old 17th July 2017, 09:48 AM   #5
TX50
Graduate Poster

Was she drug tested?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 09:51 AM   #6
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I couldn't resist this one. Photos and video included:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

My Gramma was 94 and used a walker a lot, and was considered as "doing very well for her age"!

Good for her!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
Looks like 23.4s

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's a little over a factor of 4 between the fastest man in the world and this 100 year old woman. That's not actually that big a spread. In contrast, the maximum spread in raw strength between men and women, between young and old, and between trained and untrained seems to be much larger.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Nice one .

"101 Year Old Woman Sets 100m-Dash Record [... for women 100 years or older]"

I was wondering why it took 40 seconds for 100 meter.
Sounds great to me. I can probably do the first 50 meters in under 10 seconds, but it'll take me several minutes to recover before I can crawl through the other half.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 11:13 AM   #10
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Sounds great to me. I can probably do the first 50 meters in under 10 seconds, but it'll take me several minutes to recover before I can crawl through the other half.

LOL totally! 50 years, 50 meters. I hope I can walk 50 meters when I'm 75.

I don't know if you can drug test someone that old. My Gramma took so many pills every day for different things - good luck sorting that all out.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Damned fine legs, did none of you notice??

In the senior care home where I work, the two oldest ladies (both 97 last time I checked) are also among the most mobile, and the leanest. Seems like IF you grow to be 90+ and in good health, chances are your mobility will be rather fine.

But there's a real goal now to go after - running competition when I am 100. I actually think my chances are decent!
Old 17th July 2017, 01:44 PM   #12
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

LOL totally! 50 years, 50 meters. I hope I can walk 50 meters when I'm 75.

I don't know if you can drug test someone that old. My Gramma took so many pills every day for different things - good luck sorting that all out.
I'm 70 (noted earlier somewhere) and I walked 4 and app !/3 miles Saturday. Last time I walked much was under one mile (though very close) a couple of years ago. About 2 hours and now sunburned in places.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 03:33 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

She is obviously on steroids

It's rampant on the over 90 circuit, so I hear

We had the World Masters Games here not long ago and Man Kaur (age 101) was there.

Won the 100m, 200m and shot put! Though I think she was the only one competing

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11843989
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 03:54 PM   #14
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
She is obviously on steroids schnapps-filled chocolade

It's rampant on the over 90 circuit, so I hear...
FTFY

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events