ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mormonism

Reply
Old 4th April 2017, 05:41 AM   #361
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
So along with all the maladies and symptoms you have treated suffered from personally and treated with TOBS, why did you add phantom limb pain to the list? Why that particular affliction and not others?
I listed every malady I could think of that TOBS can heal or that I believe TOBS can heal theoretically. I included PLP simply because it was brought up on another message board.

bb

Last edited by Billy Baxter; 4th April 2017 at 05:44 AM.
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #362
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,504
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
TOBS LESSON #2: THE WAYS GOD JUDGES US


Here is a partial list of scriptural verses mentioning how God passes judgment on us:

https://www.openbible.info/topics/gods_judgement

The reason entire groups of people don't automatically get the same body signals at the same time is, of course, that everyone has a different judgment, and are each at different stages of their spiritual progress.

God rewards good for good and evil for evil. Also, God measures out on our heads the same measure that we mete on our fellow men. Thus one person can get a specific BS for a specific thought while another person gets none at all when she thinks the same thought. That is the problem with clinical testing of TOBS: how do you pinpoint why one person's body gives different BS's from another's due to a differing judgment from God.

bb
Facts not in evidence.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:11 AM   #363
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Facts not in evidence.
nope, facts extrapolated and theorized from scripture.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:19 AM   #364
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,457
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
nope, facts extrapolated and theorized from scripture.
Exactly. Not in evidence.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:23 AM   #365
Beady
Philosopher
 
Beady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 42d 45'23.3"N, 84d 35' 10.8'W, 840'>MSL
Posts: 6,882
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
nope, facts extrapolated and theorized from scripture.

bb
Extrapolations and theory are drawn out of facts/data. Not out of holy books, of which there are any number.

BTW, how is your research into the presence of horses in meso-America coming? And how is TOBS faring on that Muslim forum I referred you to, in answer to your inquiry?

Your track record on doing actual research is non-existent, you do realize?

This signature is intended to irritate people.
__________________
I don't care what you do to the women and children,
leave me alone!
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:30 AM   #366
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Exactly. Not in evidence.
Call it what you will. All I know is, the Theory of Body Signals brings me relief from pain and illumination to light my way through the darkness into the light.
I want to share this knowledge and help others to get rid of BS pain/itches/twitches/etc.
It's my life's work.
bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:35 AM   #367
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Extrapolations and theory are drawn out of facts/data. Not out of holy books, of which there are any number.

BTW, how is your research into the presence of horses in meso-America coming? And how is TOBS faring on that Muslim forum I referred you to, in answer to your inquiry?

Your track record on doing actual research is non-existent, you do realize?

This signature is intended to irritate people.
I researched the speckled horse theory to my satisfaction. off topic

I haven't pursued the Islamic board referral yet. I'm worried for safety reasons.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:35 AM   #368
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,858
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
..
It's my life's work.
bb
Bit of a fail so far then.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:45 AM   #369
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 686
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I listed every malady I could think of that TOBS can heal or that I believe TOBS can heal theoretically. I included PLP simply because it was brought up on another message board.

bb
Huh? This is what you originally said when you were asked for how you came up with the list:

Originally Posted by Billy Baxter
i've suffered from, and learned how to alleviate, all of the BS pains except for cancer and AIDS.
So did you list them as diseases and symptoms that can be cured or alleviated by TOBS because you've actually suffered from them and successfully alleviate them using TOBS, or is it simply a list of stuff you think might possibly be healed theoretically using TOBS, and includes stuff (cancer, AIDS, phantom limb pain and perhaps others) you haven't actually suffered from and successfully treated using TOBS but just think might be possible to treat with TOBS for some reason?

Can't you even get your story straight?

Last edited by JesseCuster; 4th April 2017 at 06:47 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:45 AM   #370
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,457
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
.......All I know is, the Theory of Body Signals brings me relief from pain and illumination to light my way through the darkness into the light.
I want to share this knowledge and help others to get rid of BS pain/itches/twitches/etc.
It's my life's work.......
Seriously?

The pains I have are from known medical issues, mainly wear and tear of joints. I don't have any pains, nor skin itches and muscle twitches, that could be assigned by any stretch of even your fevered imagination to any attempt by anyone or anything to communicate with me.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:48 AM   #371
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Bit of a fail so far then.
Not really. I know how to get rid of most if not all BS pain.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:51 AM   #372
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,457
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
.....I know how to get rid of most if not all BS pain......
Wow, you can get rid of pain which doesn't exist. Congratulations. Now, to deal with that pesky pain which does actually exist.......the remaining 100%.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 4th April 2017 at 06:55 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:54 AM   #373
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
nope, facts extrapolated and theorized from scripture.

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Thank you for continuing to boast that you have no actual evidence at all.

I remain, accurately yours &ct.
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 4th April 2017 at 06:56 AM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:57 AM   #374
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Huh? This is what you originally said when you were asked for how you came up with the list:


So did you list them as diseases and symptoms that can be cured or alleviated by TOBS because you've actually suffered from them and successfully alleviate them using TOBS, or is it simply a list of stuff you think might possibly be healed theoretically using TOBS, and includes stuff (cancer, AIDS, phantom limb pain and perhaps others) you haven't actually suffered from and successfully treated using TOBS but just think might be possible to treat with TOBS for some reason?

Can't you even get your story straight?
I told you: I've suffered every malady I listed with only several exceptions, which I listed in subsequent posts. God alleviated each pain upon my obedience to divine law (repentance and faith in Jesus). I am in his debt forever.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:59 AM   #375
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I researched the speckled horse theory to my satisfaction. off topic

I haven't pursued the Islamic board referral yet. I'm worried for safety reasons.

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

I wonder if you are aware how transparently dishonest this bit of attempted misdirection is.

I remain, undistractedly yours &ct.
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:03 AM   #376
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

I wonder if you are aware how transparently dishonest this bit of attempted misdirection is.

I remain, undistractedly yours &ct.
SV,

Surely you have encountered my Sense-o-Humor [TM] by now, tsk tsk.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:07 AM   #377
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation
 
Hokulele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World
Posts: 29,527
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
As I said, I got carried away in hope. God didn't tell me to post cancer on my list. I'm a sinner like anyone else. I don't always do God's will.

bb

ETA: Also, God doesn't command in all things. We are to be anxiously engaged in good works and do many good things in and of our own free will.

Because of this, how do I know you simply haven't gotten carried away with all your other claims? Why should anyone believe that your twinges are messages from your god, and not simply you getting carried away with hope again? How do I know that your burning in the bosom isn't simply another example of wishful thinking?

This is why I, like many people here, require reproducible, objective evidence, and not simply random claims.
__________________
"Oh god...What have you done, zooterkin? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!" - Cleon
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:11 AM   #378
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,858
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
It's my life's work.
bb
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Bit of a fail so far then.
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
Not really. I know how to get rid of most if not all BS pain.

bb
I think you missed a bit of the fail I was referring to:

Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I want to share this knowledge and help others to get rid of BS pain/itches/twitches/etc.
It's my life's work.
bb
Bit of a fail then.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:11 AM   #379
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 686
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I told you: I've suffered every malady I listed with only several exceptions, which I listed in subsequent posts.
You gave us a laundry list of maladies that you believed could be cured or alleviated with TOBS.

You dropped your claims about cancer and AIDS like hot potatoes as soon as you were questioned about them.

You claimed that you compiled the list because they were maladies you personal suffered from and had used TOBS to get relief from.

You then changed your story by admitting that several of the maladies you hadn't actually suffered from.

One of the maladies (phantom limb pain) is only on the list because it came up on another discussion forum. And arthritis you've never suffered from but is on the list for some reason.

You're being quite disingenuous about how you compiled that list of maladies. You came up with a list and a rationale for the list which you're desperately backtracking on now.

Quote:
God alleviated each pain upon my obedience to divine law (repentance and faith in Jesus).
Apart from the maladies on the list (like cancer, AIDS and phantom limb pain) you've never suffered from in the first place and haven't actually successfully cured on yourself or anybody.

And, of course, the pains you still suffer from. Or does TOBS only provide temporary alleviation from maladies?

So when you say that God alleviated "each pain", he didn't actually alleviate each of the pains on the list. Again, you're being quite disingenuous with us.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 4th April 2017 at 07:13 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:26 AM   #380
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
You gave us a laundry list of maladies that you believed could be cured or alleviated with TOBS.

You dropped your claims about cancer and AIDS like hot potatoes as soon as you were questioned about them.

You claimed that you compiled the list because they were maladies you personal suffered from and had used TOBS to get relief from.

You then changed your story by admitting that several of the maladies you hadn't actually suffered from.

One of the maladies (phantom limb pain) is only on the list because it came up on another discussion forum. And arthritis you've never suffered from but is on the list for some reason.

You're being quite disingenuous about how you compiled that list of maladies. You came up with a list and a rationale for the list which you're desperately backtracking on now.

Apart from the maladies on the list (like cancer, AIDS and phantom limb pain) you've never suffered from in the first place and haven't actually successfully cured on yourself or anybody.

And, of course, the pains you still suffer from. Or does TOBS only provide temporary alleviation from maladies?

So when you say that God alleviated "each pain", he didn't actually alleviate each of the pains on the list. Again, you're being quite disingenuous with us.
Think what you want. TOBS is a young theory in its birth-throes. Don't expect perfection in it just yet.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:35 AM   #381
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 686
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
Think what you want. TOBS is a young theory in its birth-throes. Don't expect perfection in it just yet.

bb
A non-response. I said nothing about perfection.

I simply called you out on your BS about your list of maladies that you claim can be cured or alleviated by TOBS. You came up with the list, and have twisted and squirmed about what the list means and how you came up with it.

It was supposedly a list of maladies you've suffered from and which you successfully got relief from. And each time you're questioned about it, your story changes.

The questions asked of you about how you compiled the list, why those specific maladies are on the list and why others aren't. And you don't have a straight story. You're making it up as you go along and backtracking on previous claims.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:38 AM   #382
Beady
Philosopher
 
Beady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 42d 45'23.3"N, 84d 35' 10.8'W, 840'>MSL
Posts: 6,882
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I researched the speckled horse theory to my satisfaction. off topic
No, it's not off-topic. It reflects on your ability and attitude regarding research in general, which in turn reflects your attitude and ability regarding your research in this specific incidence.

Since my previous post I have caught up on your comments on the topic in THE LDS thread, and I do not see evidence that you have actually performed any research in advance of reaching your conclusions. Rather, you have accepted without question whatever you have been told simply because it has been mentioned or implied in your holy books.

I suppose that this, in itself, is internally consistent, but this attitude does not encourage a spirit of inquiry and inquiry is necessary to problem solving. You have come up with a couple of theories (problems) regarding your TOBS, and are proving completely impervious to inquiry. It therefore seems reasonably certain that the problem will not be solved.

You believe that TOBS is how God talks to you. I ask you to consider two possibilities, one of which you have already touched upon, yourself:

1) TOBS is how God talks to YOU; it is not intended for anyone else. The resistance you encounter here seems to indicate this is a viable possibility.

2) TOBS is how God has chosen to test your willingness to use the ability to reason that he gave you. In this scenario, to successfully pass the test you must be able to distinguish between the proper realms of faith and reason. It seems to me, in this scenario, that you are attempting to impose faith onto reason.

Also, please consider two quotations by eminent scientists:

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." Thomas Jefferson

"If a Creator God exists, would He or She or It or whatever the appropriate pronoun is, prefer a kind of sodden blockhead who worships while understanding nothing? Or would He prefer His votaries to admire the real universe in all its intricacy? I would suggest that science is, at least in part, informed worship." Carl Sagan

Quote:
I haven't pursued the Islamic board referral yet. I'm worried for safety reasons.
Then why did you request the referral? If you're doing God's work, won't he protect you?

Personally, I have seldom encountered a friendlier group of people, and they are perfectly willing to discuss their differences with others, and to entertain new ideas. Actually, you have quite a bit in common with them; they also use their holy book to prove how accurate their faith is. And they also accept Jesus, just not as a Divine.

And whatever happened to your idea of using TOBS to talk to Muslims? Wasn't that the original intent?

This signature is intended to irritate people.
__________________
I don't care what you do to the women and children,
leave me alone!

Last edited by Beady; 4th April 2017 at 07:45 AM.
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:48 AM   #383
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,698
Ha. This character is playing us like a banjo. C'mon, recognize the creature in the water beneath the curved span.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 07:51 AM   #384
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,457
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Ha. This character is playing us like a banjo. C'mon, recognize the creature in the water beneath the curved span.
No, I think you are wrong on this one. I think we have a sincere religious apologist here who believes the crap he is posting to be true. I also reckon that he has never been questioned on these beliefs before, and doesn't know how to handle logical questions on an illogical world view.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 4th April 2017 at 07:53 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:00 AM   #385
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
A non-response. I said nothing about perfection.

I simply called you out on your BS about your list of maladies that you claim can be cured or alleviated by TOBS. You came up with the list, and have twisted and squirmed about what the list means and how you came up with it.

It was supposedly a list of maladies you've suffered from and which you successfully got relief from. And each time you're questioned about it, your story changes.

The questions asked of you about how you compiled the list, why those specific maladies are on the list and why others aren't. And you don't have a straight story. You're making it up as you go along and backtracking on previous claims.
Keep in mind several things:

1. TOBS as a complete, testable, objective theory is only partially being created as I go. Don't expect the full theory to surface just yet. I'm writing/researching one short lesson a day in bite-sized chunks that I feel are easy to understand.

2. I'm under heavy spiritual attack on all sides. The devil doesn't want TOBS to get out, especially not in its pure form.

3. Backtracking, revising, and formulating TOBS isn't easy. All of these strategies are a well-established regimen for students of the scientific method, which you should know. Revision is often necessary.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:07 AM   #386
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,457
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
........3. Backtracking, revising, and formulating TOBS isn't easy. All of these strategies are a well-established regimen for students of the scientific method, which you should know. Revision is often necessary.
You don't get to cherry-pick from the scientific method. If you want to claim any scientific validity, you have to subject the idea to full scientific scrutiny. As you patently don't want to get involved in that, don't attempt to use science to support anything you are saying or doing on this subject. You haven't got a leg to stand on.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:07 AM   #387
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,698
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, I think you are wrong on this one. I think we have a sincere religious apologist here who believes the crap he is posting to be true. I also reckon that he has never been questioned on these beliefs before, and doesn't know how to handle logical questions on an illogical world view.
Not when he says things like this:
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
Think what you want. TOBS is a young theory in its birth-throes. Don't expect perfection in it just yet.
He's been told about "theory" vs "hypothesis", that's no news. He's been asked many good questions and has ignored them.

This kind of deliberate obtuseness is more revealing of a player than a sincere apologist. The apologist will eat criticism and excrete defense. In contrast, this character is trying to provoke by pretending to be newly stupid with every new post.

If you want to irk someone get them to teach you a concept, repeatedly. The ignorance should seem genuine at first, feigned later and be exasperating toward the end. The goal is to exhaust.

He's doing the same thing in the Mormon thread.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:09 AM   #388
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,457
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Not when he says things like this......

He's doing the same thing in the Mormon thread.
Well, we differ.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:16 AM   #389
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
SV,

Surely you have encountered my Sense-o-Humor [TM] by now, tsk tsk.

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

In the other thread, you have tried to claim that you have dealt with the horse issue with the same bit of "humor". Since you have not done so there, or here, this bit of "humor" is exposed as a dishonest attempt at a distraction.

I remain, unamusedly yours &ct.
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:29 AM   #390
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,698
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
In the other thread, you have tried to claim that you have dealt with the horse issue with the same bit of "humor". Since you have not done so there, or here, this bit of "humor" is exposed as a dishonest attempt at a distraction.
Yes, I noticed this too. It supports my notion.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:30 AM   #391
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,698
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Well, we differ.
Fair enough. I hope I'm wrong.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:44 AM   #392
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,857
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
Call it what you will. All I know is, the Theory of Body Signals brings me relief from pain and illumination to light my way through the darkness into the light.
I want to share this knowledge and help others to get rid of BS pain/itches/twitches/etc.
It's my life's work.
bb
You imagined your pains, and then you imagined a reason for them to go away, which of course they did. How can you help anyone else? You would first need to teach them how to imagine their own pains, and only then would they need TOBS to get rid of them again.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:48 AM   #393
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

In the other thread, you have tried to claim that you have dealt with the horse issue with the same bit of "humor". Since you have not done so there, or here, this bit of "humor" is exposed as a dishonest attempt at a distraction.

I remain, unamusedly yours &ct.
No, it's with genuine amusement that I watch grown adults scramble to attack EVERY RIDICULOUS ASPECT of the BOM they can, to the point of logical absurdity, like a bunch of schoolchildren trying to disprove the laws of physics because they don't understand them, ad nauseum.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:50 AM   #394
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 686
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
Keep in mind several things:

1. TOBS as a complete, testable, objective theory is only partially being created as I go. Don't expect the full theory to surface just yet. I'm writing/researching one short lesson a day in bite-sized chunks that I feel are easy to understand.
That has nothing to do with what I said. I criticised your list of maladies and your reasons for what was and wasn't on it.
Quote:
2. I'm under heavy spiritual attack on all sides. The devil doesn't want TOBS to get out, especially not in its pure form.
That has nothing to do with anything I've said. I also can't "keep it in mind" because I don't believe it.

Quote:
3. Backtracking, revising, and formulating TOBS isn't easy. All of these strategies are a well-established regimen for students of the scientific method, which you should know. Revision is often necessary.
None of this has anything to do with what I criticised, which is your ever-changing ad-hoc story for how you came up with the list of maladies that TOBS can supposedly cure.

"Science revises itself as it goes along. I'm making up revising my story as I go along. Therefore I'm doing science!"

Making up stuff as you go along does not make you a scientist. Your ever changing story for the meaning of your list of maladies that TOBS can cure does not bear any sort of resemblance to the scientific method. Just who are you trying to kid?

Last edited by JesseCuster; 4th April 2017 at 09:11 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:55 AM   #395
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You imagined your pains, and then you imagined a reason for them to go away, which of course they did. How can you help anyone else? You would first need to teach them how to imagine their own pains, and only then would they need TOBS to get rid of them again.
I most certainly did not imagine my pains. The fact that you're grasping at that particular straw shows how close to the bottom of your logical barrel you are.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 08:56 AM   #396
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,698
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
.. ad nauseum.
Dear Billy,
I know a BS that can help you with that nausea. Pull my finger.

.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 09:10 AM   #397
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,857
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I most certainly did not imagine my pains.
I'm sorry, but that is the only possible way to interpret this post:

Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
I suffer from a grievous learning disorder: whenever I try to grok complex thoughts, I get awful pains in my legs. These pains continue and get worse and worse for the duration of my attempted learning/thinking/communicating session. I cannot hold down a job or successfully go to school because of these muscular pains (I think it's called "myalgia.") I'm a fairly intelligent man; I just can't think straight without getting in moderate to severe pain.
You are describing symptoms which are obviously psychosomatic. That doesn't mean they don't feel every bit as real as symptoms which have an actual physical cause, but the fact is that they are all in your mind. That is why a treatment which is also all in your mind is effective.

ETA: Here's the wiki article again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica...sical_symptoms
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 4th April 2017 at 09:12 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 09:19 AM   #398
Billy Baxter
Muse
 
Billy Baxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm sorry, but that is the only possible way to interpret this post:



You are describing symptoms which are obviously psychosomatic. That doesn't mean they don't feel every bit as real as symptoms which have an actual physical cause, but the fact is that they are all in your mind. That is why a treatment which is also all in your mind is effective.

ETA: Here's the wiki article again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica...sical_symptoms
Wasn't it you who said, "I am not a doctor"? Yet here you are diagnosing me like a wannabe practitioner.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 09:22 AM   #399
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,857
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
Wasn't it you who said, "I am not a doctor"? Yet here you are diagnosing me like a wannabe practitioner.

bb
You don't need to be a doctor to know that symptoms that only occur when a patient thinks about certain subjects must be psychosomatic. If you disagree, please explain how such symptoms could be physically caused.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 09:24 AM   #400
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 13,155
Hi Billy Baxter. I have a medical question relevant to TOBS that just arose recently. My wife is currently experiencing pain in her right temple adjacent to her right eye. The apparent cause of this pain is having recently hit her face on a fence. The apparent cause of hitting her face on a fence was steering her bicycle into the fence to avoid hitting a young child who swerved into her path on a scooter.

Please clarify: is the pain she's experiencing God's reward for her charitable act of putting the child's well-being before her own? Or is it God's punishment for that act instead? Or is there some other explanation? I took the same ride at the same time, without encountering the child or the fence, and am not experiencing the same pain or any other pain, so it doesn't appear that God has anything against bicycle riding per se.

If it matters, the small child was a complete stranger and of a race that the LDS Church used to officially regard as spiritually inferior. Does that affect the meaning of the body signal in question?
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...

Last edited by Myriad; 4th April 2017 at 09:28 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.