ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mormonism

Old 30th March 2017, 03:03 AM   #41
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Through dishonesty?
how am i being dishonest? Anecdotes are valid object lessons, even if fictional.

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 03:35 AM   #42
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Billy Baxter View Post
how am i being dishonest? Anecdotes are valid object lessons, even if fictional.

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Does your 'god' exist?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 03:46 AM   #43
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

bb
If it is fictional, it is not an anecdote. At least, not in the sense of anecdotal evidence. Fictional anecdotes can be amusing, but they cannot be used to build a case.
You must realize that if fictional accounts would be accepted as evidence, then you could prove anything by just making up an anecdote about it.

And if you're not using these little stories as evidence, you've skipped several steps. Such as proving the existence of your BS, as we talked about in the other thread.
"I don't want to set up an experiment because I'd have to talk to strangers" is not an excuse.

How is that introductory science course you said you were going to take going? I would think they'd explain how evidence works in one of the first classes.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 03:54 AM   #44
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Does your 'god' exist?
Do you exist?

bb
Billy Baxter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:03 AM   #45
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
If it is fictional, it is not an anecdote. At least, not in the sense of anecdotal evidence. Fictional anecdotes can be amusing, but they cannot be used to build a case.
You must realize that if fictional accounts would be accepted as evidence, then you could prove anything by just making up an anecdote about it.

And if you're not using these little stories as evidence, you've skipped several steps. Such as proving the existence of your BS, as we talked about in the other thread.
"I don't want to set up an experiment because I'd have to talk to strangers" is not an excuse.

How is that introductory science course you said you were going to take going? I would think they'd explain how evidence works in one of the first classes.
I'm not trying to prove TOBS scientifically here right now. It's a matter of "Look what I've discovered! It can take your chronic pain away." The proof is in the pudding. John 7:17.

I didn't get my classes paid for, so my education will have to wait.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 04:07 AM   #46
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Can you prove conclusively that God doesn't exist?
Why would I do that? I made no claim that no gods exist.

Pain is also a motivation to repent, although other motivators are better (such as love for God and for others, duty, a good cause, etc.)

bb
Sorry, Can't have any feelings for that which has never been shown to exist.
Old 30th March 2017, 04:07 AM   #47
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Do you exist?

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

I wonder if you might be so kind as to answer the question I asked of you.

Does your 'god' exist?

I remain, expectantly yours &ct.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:21 AM   #48
Billy Baxter
Muse

My Dear Mr. Baxter:

I wonder if you might be so kind as to answer the question I asked of you.

Does your 'god' exist?

I remain, expectantly yours &ct.
Yes, he exists.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 04:36 AM   #49
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

I'm not trying to prove TOBS scientifically here right now. It's a matter of "Look what I've discovered! It can take your chronic pain away." The proof is in the pudding. John 7:17.

bb
But you haven't discovered anything. The people in your anecdote don't exist, the pain in your anecdotes does not exist, and the relief the fictional people experienced did not exist.
You have made something up. There's no 'look what I've discovered', only 'look what I've pulled out of my rectum'.

You know what we call it when someone tells a fake story and pretends it shows a real discovery? A lie.
And I'm no biblical scholar, but I believe your God has said a great deal more on the evils of lying than on muscle cramps...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:43 AM   #50
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, he exists.

bb
How do you know that?
Old 30th March 2017, 04:48 AM   #51
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Yes, he exists.

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Thank you for your reply. As is the way of this kind of inquiry, it leaves me with another question, to wit:

What is it that makes you think that your 'god' exists?

I remain, interestedly yours &ct.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:03 AM   #52
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

We've known about the placebo effect for a long time, so you have not discovered anything.

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that, but there are plenty of free online courses you can do.

Here's a good source:

http://academicearth.org
Old 30th March 2017, 05:21 AM   #53
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

We went through this on the first thread. BB is a Mormon who can self induce the "burning in the bosom", which he's made clear is all the "evidence" of God's existence that he needs. This whole TOBS thing is an extension of the Mormon belief that God can use bodily sensations to communicate messages like "the Book of Mormon really is true, despite all the objective evidence which proves it to be a clumsy fake".
Old 30th March 2017, 05:34 AM   #54
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

lol straw man

bb
You still haven't learned what a straw man argument is.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:35 AM   #55
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, I know how to stop virtually any pain that is manifesting as a body signal--if not permanently, then at least temporarily.

bb
Then stop the pain in my right knee and my arthritic right wrist.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:40 AM   #56
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

MikeG is the person making the assertion that there is no God. I'm merely asking him to prove this. The burden of proof is on him.

bb
Bollocks back to you.

You were the one who asserted the existence of god. Over to you sunshine. I'll await your proof with great interest.

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 05:44 AM   #57
Donn
Philosopher

Is this funny spool of insanity still twitching?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 06:57 AM   #58
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Anyway, I know how to stop virtually any pain that is manifesting as a body signal--if not permanently, then at least temporarily.

bb
What a heartless man, allowing all the little children who are in pain right now (thanks to your heartless God) to continue to suffer when you can offer them relief.

Shame on you!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 07:31 AM   #59
Billy Baxter
Muse

My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Thank you for your reply. As is the way of this kind of inquiry, it leaves me with another question, to wit:

I remain, interestedly yours &ct.
He gave me a testimony that he is there and that the Book of Mormon is true over the years piecemeal.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 07:36 AM   #60
Zivan
Muse

What specifically is nonsensical about TOBS?

bb
Edited by jsfisher:  <snip> Edited for compliance with Rules 0 and 12 of the Membership Agreement.

Last edited by jsfisher; 30th March 2017 at 06:55 PM.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 07:42 AM   #61
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

He gave me a testimony that he is there and that the Book of Mormon is true over the years piecemeal.

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Again, I thank you for your reply. You make an interesting assertion, indeed.

Here is my follow-up question:

What evidence have you to offer in support of your assertion?

I remain, baconianly yours &ct.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:42 AM   #62
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
We went through this on the first thread. BB is a Mormon who can self induce the "burning in the bosom", which he's made clear is all the "evidence" of God's existence that he needs. This whole TOBS thing is an extension of the Mormon belief that God can use bodily sensations to communicate messages like "the Book of Mormon really is true, despite all the objective evidence which proves it to be a clumsy fake".
Thank you for the link. I'll check it out later today.

Actually, it's far more than just a burning in the bosom. It's scripture study, prayer, seminary classes, the baptismal covenant, thoughts, feelings, impressions, and constant guard against satan's fiery darts that constantly assail us. Far more than just a feeling.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 07:43 AM   #63
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

MikeG is the person making the assertion that there is no God. I'm merely asking him to prove this. The burden of proof is on him.

bb
Incorrect. You are making the positive claim to which others are saying, "no proof." The burden is on you, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:43 AM   #64
BStrong
Philosopher

Refer to my former thread in this forum entitled "Can TOBS Defeat Radical Islamic Terrorists?" for the explanation of what TOBS (the Theory of Body Signals) is. Briefly, God communicates with us, his children, in many different ways. These include the scriptures, prophets, prayer, the Holy Ghost, etc.

I have discovered that God has another subtle method of letting us know his will. TOBS manifests as itches, muscular twitches, pains and cramps. See the former thread for a more complete discussion of this phenomenon as it relates to getting radical Islamists to stop justifying jihads.

Sometimes we are confused, uncertain, mistaken, or in error about spiritual truths, and God teaches us through the body signal system how to correct our mistakes.

An example: Sven has been in a quandary about how to discipline his unruly child. Whenever he loses patience and threatens to spank her, Sven gets a muscular twitch on his left arm. If Sven repeatedly swats his child in an impatient manner and develops a pattern of child abuse, he will get pains in his left shoulder blade, and possibly his left leg and other places. After a while he starts to justify his abuse, and the BS's get more and more painful and persistent.

So how does TOBS get Sven out of pain and back on track? There are no easy answers for him--Jesus said that he who offends a little one would be better off with a millstone tied around his neck and dropped into the sea. So Sven must repent of his abuse and endure the consequences of his actions. As he repents over time, the BS's will guide him and get his life turned around. Understanding how God's Justice, Mercy and grace work is fundamental to getting relief from chronic pain and ultimately forgiveness of our sins.

Any questions or comments?

bb
Yes.

If God exists and there is one Lawyer in heaven (not a given...) you'll soon be on the receiving end of a civil action for malpractice.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 07:47 AM   #65
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
You still haven't learned what a straw man argument is.
straw man is a logical fallacy wherein one party builds an argument that the proponent does NOT present and then proceeds to tear it down.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 07:51 AM   #66
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Then stop the pain in my right knee and my arthritic right wrist.
right knee = good intentions

wrist = you're going about something the wrong way

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 07:55 AM   #67
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Bollocks back to you.

You were the one who asserted the existence of god. Over to you sunshine. I'll await your proof with great interest.
Read the Book of Mormon, read Moroni 10:3-5 and pray about it. God provides the proof, not me or any mortal person.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 08:00 AM   #68
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

right knee = good intentions

wrist = you're going about something the wrong way

bb
You are practicing divination. It is no different than astrology, tarot, ouija, dowsing, etc. The list is endless. It is your claim that this god of yours exists and sends you messages by means of TOBS. Before you even get to TOBS you are unable to demonstrate that there exists a god to send messages in the first place.
Old 30th March 2017, 08:04 AM   #69
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
What a heartless man, allowing all the little children who are in pain right now (thanks to your heartless God) to continue to suffer when you can offer them relief.

Shame on you!
Where did that attack come from? I donate regularly to charitable causes (and I suppose someone will diss me for tooting my own horn for saying so!). You can't win for losing--either I'm heartless for giving a fictional story that mentions abuse, or I'm a hypocrite for mentioning the fact that I pay tithing.

sheesh!

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 08:08 AM   #70
Billy Baxter
Muse

My Dear Mr. Baxter:

Again, I thank you for your reply. You make an interesting assertion, indeed.

Here is my follow-up question:

What evidence have you to offer in support of your assertion?

I remain, baconianly yours &ct.
Again, God provides the proof when you read, study and pray about the Book of Mormon.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 08:13 AM   #71
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Again, God provides the proof when you read, study and pray about the Book of Mormon.

bb
I'm bored so I'll bite, How does he/she/it/horse do that?

How can you be sure the book of mormon is reliable?
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 08:13 AM   #72
Peregrinus
Muse

bb
Assertions are not proof.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 08:15 AM   #73
Peregrinus
Muse

bb
We can tell.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 08:15 AM   #74
BStrong
Philosopher

Yes, he exists.

bb
As much as you'd wish it otherwise, your personal delusions concerning your imaginary friend in the sky doesn't constitute proof of anything.

TOBS is a load of nonsense.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 08:19 AM   #75
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You are practicing divination. It is no different than astrology, tarot, ouija, dowsing, etc. The list is endless. It is your claim that this god of yours exists and sends you messages by means of TOBS. Before you even get to TOBS you are unable to demonstrate that there exists a god to send messages in the first place.
TOBS is not divination, as it seeks information directly from God rather than from spirits. There's a big difference, although I do see your point. Prayer is a more excellent method of communication with God and nothing can replace it. TOBS is supplementary to faith. I believe it is a schoolteacher that leads to Christ, like the Law of Moses.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 08:24 AM   #76
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I'm bored so I'll bite, How does he/she/it/horse do that?

How can you be sure the book of mormon is reliable?
God provides a witness which is described as a burning in the bosom, that we shall feel that it is right and true in our hearts.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 08:27 AM   #77
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Actually, it's far more than just a burning in the bosom. It's scripture study, prayer, seminary classes, the baptismal covenant, thoughts, feelings, impressions, and constant guard against satan's fiery darts that constantly assail us. Far more than just a feeling.
None of that amounts to anything more than feelings, I'm afraid. And set against those feelings is several centuries of scientific discoveries about everything from the underlying nature of the universe to the physiological (and wholely unreliable) origin of those feelings.
Old 30th March 2017, 08:28 AM   #78
Billy Baxter
Muse

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
As much as you'd wish it otherwise, your personal delusions concerning your imaginary friend in the sky doesn't constitute proof of anything.

TOBS is a load of nonsense.
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Mormonism is true. TOBS is just a theory based on my experiences and speculations. TOBS isn't Mormonism.

bb
Old 30th March 2017, 08:35 AM   #79
BStrong
Philosopher

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Mormonism is true. TOBS is just a theory based on my experiences and speculations. TOBS isn't Mormonism.

bb

A theory based on ******** is still ********.

Old 30th March 2017, 08:36 AM   #80
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

bb
My Dear Mr. Baxter:

thank you for your continued engagement, and your kind replies.

I find myself with, in fact, yet another question:

Have you any concrete, empirical, objective evidence for your assertions?

I remain, bemusedly yours &ct.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy