ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 15th July 2017, 07:54 AM   #2561
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by markie View Post
Was it you Hans or someone else who earlier was near pleading with me to stop posting? Regardless, there is not much to say except that Mills' last two papers are full of goodies, and that I am eagerly anticipating the next announcement from BLP.
I want you guys to keep posting as much as you can. I am so looking forward to you trying to explain away the non-appearance of any product (Mills is too devoted to perfection' etc.) and 'BLP' going 'cold' for a period of time before emerging yet again with another name and yet another pronouncement that they are 'just about' to change the world, have contracts in place, etc., etc. - you know the drill.

Then you can pronounce your faith in Mills - once again - renew all the other excuses, in other words pretend it all going to come out right in the end.

The finest type of unintended comedy too bad its played out so you can help a guy scam others for money.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 08:11 AM   #2562
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Was it you Hans or someone else who earlier was near pleading with me to stop posting? Regardless, there is not much to say except that Mills' last two papers are full of goodies, and that I am eagerly anticipating the next announcement from BLP.
I just bet you are. So eager that you will lap up the bovine fecal matter and call it champagne and caviar.
Old 15th July 2017, 08:12 AM   #2563
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

One has to be an "accredited investor" to put money into BLP. In short those are people or entities who are savvy and/or rich enough and who can afford to lose some money. These are not the type of people who would suffer desperation or cognitive dissonance at the prospect of losing some money.
At least you admit that these "marks" will likely lose their money.

Steorn did the very same thing. This is no different.
Old 15th July 2017, 08:36 AM   #2564
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

One has to be an "accredited investor" to put money into BLP. In short those are people or entities who are savvy and/or rich enough and who can afford to lose some money. These are not the type of people who would suffer desperation or cognitive dissonance at the prospect of losing some money.
Yes, that's the wildcatter scam all over again.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 11:30 AM   #2565
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Well, there's the answer that a few Mills shills have brought up ("why, if he's a fraud, hasn't anyone sued him or gone to the authorities for fraud?") — the answer is that they're told ahead of time that they won't get their money back and that they're basically just donating it to him.

That makes the scam even better and it saddens me further that scum like Mills are getting away with it. That money that these wealthy idiots hand out could be going for much more useful things after all. But, a fool — even a rich fool — and his money are soon parted. So there's that.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 11:53 AM   #2566
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Regardless, there is not much to say except that Mills' last two papers are full of goodies, and that I am eagerly anticipating the next announcement from BLP.
Seems perfectly reasonable, as announcements seem set to remain BLP's core product line for the foreseeable future.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 11:55 AM   #2567
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

In other words, perfect marks. It seems that BLP and confidence tricksters are addressing exactly the same market segment.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 12:52 PM   #2568
halleyscomet
Philosopher

You are wrong about what an accredited investor is under the law. The term is far broader than you claim.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accredited_investor

Do you have any retirement savings? There are several ways those funds could end up vaporized in an "accredited investors only" organization.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 11:39 AM   #2569
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Any sign of the revolution?
Old 17th July 2017, 01:47 PM   #2570
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Delayed due to a lack of interest it would seem.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:11 PM   #2571
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Have we all been put up against the wall? No? Then, no.
Old 17th July 2017, 07:04 PM   #2572
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Delayed due to a lack of interest it would seem.
More likely due to a lack of *ahem* energy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 10:34 PM   #2573
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Weren't we at the stage of generators being sent out to 3rd parties?
Old 19th July 2017, 05:27 AM   #2574
jrhowell
Thinker

Weren't we at the stage of generators being sent out to 3rd parties?
Even if this were real, the timeline that they set was hopelessly optimistic. It didn't allow for any unforeseen problems in developing a totally new technology based on unproven science, where they haven't even been able to demonstrate a sustainable reaction yet. (I assume that the tight schedule was meant to give potential investors a sense of urgency.)

They were not even promising that things would be different this time around because they have cleansed their site to eliminate any mention that they have tried and failed to produce a product many times already.

Once they reveal the scenario to be used to close out this cycle it will all be over...until next time.

Last edited by jrhowell; 19th July 2017 at 05:42 AM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 05:38 AM   #2575
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Even if this were real, the timeline that they set was hopelessly optimistic. It didn't allow for any unforeseen problems in developing a totally new technology based on unproven science, where they haven't even been able to demonstrate a sustainable reaction yet.

They aren't even promising that it would be different this time around because they have cleansed their site to eliminate any mention that they have tried and failed to produce a product many times already.

Once they reveal the scenario to be used to close out this cycle it will all be over...until next time.
Don't forget UL testing, clearing EPA hurdles, safety testing...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even IF BLP had the science right, they will NEVER release a Hydrino based generator or heater due to their grotesque incompetence.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 07:36 AM   #2576
jrhowell
Thinker

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Don't forget UL testing, clearing EPA hurdles, safety testing...
Their pitch to investors seems to have been targeted to appeal to an off-the-grid, libertarian mindset. Those people would be turned off by mention of safety regulations and the EPA so those things were left out of the plan.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 08:10 AM   #2577
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Their pitch to investors seems to have been targeted to appeal to an off-the-grid, libertarian mindset. Those people would be turned off by mention of safety regulations and the EPA so those things were left out of the plan.
It's a shame Sovereign Citizens don't typically have enough money for Mills and Co. to go after them as potential investors. I'd love to see the shenanigans of a Sovereign Citizen group, tired of endless promises and delays, deciding they "own" the BLP lab and occupying it though their more robust tactics.

We'd then see the catastrophe that would result from the occupying Sovereign Citizens trying to fire up the "reactors" and "generators."
Old 19th July 2017, 02:20 PM   #2578
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It's a shame Sovereign Citizens don't typically have enough money for Mills and Co. to go after them as potential investors. I'd love to see the shenanigans of a Sovereign Citizen group, tired of endless promises and delays, deciding they "own" the BLP lab and occupying it though their more robust tactics.

We'd then see the catastrophe that would result from the occupying Sovereign Citizens trying to fire up the "reactors" and "generators."
Are you pitching some kind of situation comedy plot here?
Old 19th July 2017, 03:06 PM   #2579
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Are you pitching some kind of situation comedy plot here?

I think some here are trying to match what they see as the fantastical claims of Mills, with their own fantastical scenarios. Makes for amusing reading anyway.

Looks like the wait for a working prototype is going to be longer in coming, such that even my estimate may be too short. If I understand a recent post of Dr. Mills correctly it appears that BLP is going to be patenting a more effective method to generate electricity from heat . We'll see. As they say, 'the better is the enemy of the good enough.'

Somewhat off topic: I tried unsubscribing from this thread two weeks ago, since I don't need to be reminded about the thread, and I prefer to read the posts on site. Although I have tried twice to unsubscribe, I am still receiving a daily email. Anyone else experience this? Is this like the Hotel California?
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 03:18 PM   #2580
jrhowell
Thinker

Looks like the wait for a working prototype is going to be longer in coming, such that even my estimate may be too short. If I understand a recent post of Dr. Mills correctly it appears that BLP is going to be patenting a more effective method to generate electricity from heat . We'll see. As they say, 'the better is the enemy of the good enough.'
Sounds like a variant of the #1 wrap-up scenario:

1) Success. They announce discovery of an even better way to cause the hydrino reaction so they are tossing the current design and starting over.
So the introduction of world changing technology is again delayed due to aspects of design unrelated to the supposed hydrino reaction. Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

There are a huge number of applications where just having the heat output would be enough. It's too bad that the investors will again have to wait for their big payday.

Last edited by jrhowell; 19th July 2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 19th July 2017, 03:27 PM   #2581
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Maybe they've finally received those heat exchangers they were waiting for a decade ago...
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:31 PM   #2582
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Maybe they've finally received those heat exchangers they were waiting for a decade ago...
If Wile E. Coyote can order something from Acme and get it delivered amost immediately, where does BLP order their stuff from? Maybe Zyxxwut, the slowest supplier in the western hemisphere?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:36 PM   #2583
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
If Wile E. Coyote can order something from Acme and get it delivered amost immediately, where does BLP order their stuff from? Maybe Zyxxwut, the slowest supplier in the western hemisphere?
Funny you should mention Mr. Coyote, to date he has at least as much success in catching the Road Runner as Mills has on delivering his generators.
Old 20th July 2017, 12:43 AM   #2584
SezMe
post-pre-born

Got a link to that post? So we can all benefit from his pearls of wisdom?

[Aside]Did you use the unsubscribe tool at the top of each page. That always works for me. If not, go to your subscribed threads page and change notifications to "none".
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 12:47 AM   #2585
Aber
Muse

Quote:
patenting a more effective method to generate electricity from heat
Really? What has GE etc been doing for the last century?
Aber is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 12:50 AM   #2586
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Perhaps his uses frictionalless bearings in the turbines using the antigravity compounds he discovered over 20 years ago?
Old 20th July 2017, 01:09 AM   #2587
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Aaaaaaaany day now, infidels, any day now.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 02:11 AM   #2588
Dave Rogers

Looks like the wait for a working prototype is going to be longer in coming, such that even my estimate may be too short.
Well, bugger me, what a surprise.

If I understand a recent post of Dr. Mills correctly it appears that BLP is going to be patenting a more effective method to generate electricity from heat.
Called it.

Somewhat off topic: I tried unsubscribing from this thread two weeks ago, since I don't need to be reminded about the thread,
Called that too.

Dave

Old 20th July 2017, 03:51 AM   #2589
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If I understand a recent post of Dr. Mills correctly it appears that BLP is going to be patenting a more effective method to generate electricity from heat . We'll see. As they say, 'the better is the enemy of the good enough.'
Having invented a new form of steel than will revolutionize the railroad industry, Mills will now pause to reinvent the wheel?

John Galt didn't need the steam locomotive--that he could leave to others. All he needed was the steel.

If Mills had the hydrino, any old heat engine would do. If he's working on a heat engine, it can only mean he doesn't have the hydrino.

And that he's an idiot. Heat engine development is a well understood and saturated field. Does Mills really expect us to believe his time is best spent on such work? To believe he'll improve upon the work of General Electric? The work of General Dynamics? Of BAE, of Siemens, of Komatsu Ltd?

This signature is intended to irradiate people.

Last edited by theprestige; 20th July 2017 at 03:59 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 04:19 AM   #2590
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Having invented a new form of steel than will revolutionize the railroad industry, Mills will now pause to reinvent the wheel?

John Galt didn't need the steam locomotive--that he could leave to others. All he needed was the steel.

If Mills had the hydrino, any old heat engine would do. If he's working on a heat engine, it can only mean he doesn't have the hydrino.

And that he's an idiot. Heat engine development is a well understood and saturated field. Does Mills really expect us to believe his time is best spent on such work? To believe he'll improve upon the work of General Electric? The work of General Dynamics? Of BAE, of Siemens, of Komatsu Ltd?

He only needs to fool existing and future investors. The con, by its very nature, will filter out the people intelligent enough to NOT fall for such bullocks.
Old 20th July 2017, 11:39 AM   #2591
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Maybe he's invented a wheel that's rounder than a circle.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 01:44 PM   #2592
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Got a link to that post? So we can all benefit from his pearls of wisdom?
I'll just copy the post by Dr. Mills from July 15:

We are working on a way of directly getting to essentially the end of the converter engineering program at much higher conversion efficiency and lower cost than initially planned. We will likely post an update once I have filed a few more patent applications and we do some further engineering and testing.

Quote:
[Aside]Did you use the unsubscribe tool at the top of each page. That always works for me. If not, go to your subscribed threads page and change notifications to "none".

OK thanks, I just tried the Unsubscribe option from the Tools menu near the top of the page. I'll see if that works. What doesn't seem to work is unsubscribing via the link at the bottom of the emails.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 01:55 PM   #2593
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I suspect the high temperatures involved make even the higher heat engine technologies much less than optimal. One size does not fit all. Also, although it seems likely the heat will be converted to mechanical energy and then to electrical, that was not explicitly stated by Mills. He may have something different in mind.
Old 20th July 2017, 02:03 PM   #2594
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

He only needs to fool existing and future investors. The con, by its very nature, will filter out the people intelligent enough to NOT fall for such bullocks.
That is why the Nigeria scam email are so badly written, mostly to filter out people clever enough to see through it.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 02:05 PM   #2595
Dave Rogers

I suspect the high temperatures involved make even the higher heat engine technologies much less than optimal. One size does not fit all. Also, although it seems likely the heat will be converted to mechanical energy and then to electrical, that was not explicitly stated by Mills. He may have something different in mind.
You know, speaking as a physicist, I find this all to be comedy gold. If I were also an economist, of course, I'd probably find it even funnier that somebody who claims to have an essentially unlimited source of essentially free energy is choosing not to derive profit from it yet because he feels that the conversion efficiency of that unlimited energy source is not as high as it could be.

Dave

Old 20th July 2017, 02:06 PM   #2596
jrhowell
Thinker

I'll just copy the post by Dr. Mills from July 15:

We are working on a way of directly getting to essentially the end of the converter engineering program at much higher conversion efficiency and lower cost than initially planned. We will likely post an update once I have filed a few more patent applications and we do some further engineering and testing.
Great! So maybe a year or two to get that squared away and then they will be ready for the first actual full power test?
Old 20th July 2017, 02:10 PM   #2597
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

The temperature do not make a lick of difference as far as I remember, what is important is the heat exchange tech, which is such a case would use a primary with a liquid metal and a secondary circuit with water/steam. You would have some losses, but this is a solved problem as far as I can tell.

"Having something different in mind" == being allowed to waffle more year by gullible without any results.

Last edited by Aepervius; 20th July 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 02:20 PM   #2598
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

I suspect that what they're really working on is a more refined method of converting bald claims into cash.
Old 20th July 2017, 02:36 PM   #2599
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

That's BS and you know it markie. All it takes is a bigger boiler. (assuming that he really were producing that much energy, which he isn't) In fact I guarantee you that the steam engines run off nuclear carriers would easily be capable of handling all the energy Mills claims he is producing with hydrinos.And don't forget this is also the same unit we can put in a car? Power an airplane? But the standard boiler steam engine technology that was up and running 100 years ago and with massive upgrades and tweaking all this time till completely reliable as any technology can be at all those sizes...but not good enough for Mills?

When are you just going to admit Mills is scamming you?
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 02:38 PM   #2600
halleyscomet
Philosopher

One of my grandfathers was an engineer. Before he retired 30 years ago he was refining the liquid sodium phase of the cooling system for an experimental fusion reactor.

The heat exchange systems needed for the temperatures Mills is claiming have been around and quite reliable for decades. The tech he's claiming he needs to develop is literally older than his Hydrino theory. Your suspicion is pure, ignorant nonsense.

Mills is either lying, hoping the people he's lying to are too ignorant to see though his lies, or he is literally 30 to 40 years behind modern technology in his knowledge of what he needs to interface with.

Either way, nothing profitable is coming out of Hydrino theory with Mills at the helm.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology