ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags debbie wasserman schultz , DNC conspiracies , Imran Awan , US-Pakistan relations

Old 12th June 2017, 03:29 PM   #1
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Pakistani Alwan brothers' spy ring in Congress

Google your own source material please, I so abhor the discussion-wrecking left-right false dichotomy. I do not belong to a political party and am interested in the meta-discussion or questions about information security in our government. As opposed to whether any particular source is out to get democrats or out to get republicans.

The Pakistani Awan brothers have fled the country back to Pakistan. Some sources say they are being treated like political royalty or top military brass. They are wanted in the US for stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars in congressmen's computer equipment but the security breach is far larger.

They were working as IT staffers with Top Secret clearance to material and communications of at least 80 congressmen. A number of these were specifically targeted for their key committee positions like House Intelligence and Foreign Affairs. By wikileaks sourcing, they had passwords for top people like Debbie Wasserman Schultz, then Chair of the DNC.

If you've been following the various researchers chasing the subject, the most alarming thing from a security standpoint is the syncing of congressional blackberries and laptops. With syncing, you can vacuum up all the texts, emails, attachments, etc. from all these Congressmen. If you're Anthony Weiner, you're sending nude pics to 15 year olds so that's outstanding blackmail espionage. With others, it's going to be little boys instead of little girls, corruption and graft, along with forward intelligence on our covert military and CIA operations.

Speaking of whom, there's indications Weiner was the Awan's handler, his "trusted staff" supplying "secure" blackberries as per wikileaks. The fact they've been implicated in a number of other criminal enterprises ought to really bring some heat on this security breach. Same with the questions surrounding how they got entry visas in the first place. How they escaped. Why you would hire them in the first place.

There's been near silence from the mainstream media, at least insofar as a meta-discussion on "Foreign criminals in charge of Congressional Intelligence Committee Members' IT". They were paid $160K each, but still plenty of time to run a lot of other businesses that like to declare bankruptcy to avoid million-dollar debt obligations.

Nobody's asked, media-wise, what kind of background check or citizenship requirements we have for top secret access to Congressional Intelligence Committee files, whether they were followed, and what we should do as we move forward with multiple wars across the planet. I mean why not roll in some Saudi nationals or perhaps North Koreans to run our IT? Put some ISIS people on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, perhaps? Celebrate diversity?

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 12th June 2017 at 03:51 PM.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Civet
Graduate Poster

Pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of this. Here's a link to some mainstream news coverage:
http://nypost.com/2017/05/28/crimina...remains-eerie/

Looks like these guys were dodgy (equipment theft, money problems, accused of scamming a family member) and, as IT guys, would have had access to an awful lot. Looks like the government isn't revealing much about the ongoing investigation (which seems appropriate). Any idea that they were doing spy work is purely speculative at this point, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the investigation.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 05:18 PM   #3
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of this. Here's a link to some mainstream news coverage:
Not sure I'd consider the New York Post to be MSM, it has the credibility of The Sun or World Daily News.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 07:29 PM   #4
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of this.
The establishment press believes I need to be inundated by daily Russia! Russia! Russia! stories, allegedly to protect this precious democracy from foreign influence.

So the outright theft of government computers and servers by these Pakistanis in charge of IT for so many congressman - and as you point out the other alarming things they were engaged in...

Not a word.

Quote:
Here's a link to some mainstream news coverage:

Looks like these guys were dodgy (equipment theft, money problems, accused of scamming a family member) and, as IT guys, would have had access to an awful lot. Looks like the government isn't revealing much about the ongoing investigation (which seems appropriate). Any idea that they were doing spy work is purely speculative at this point, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the investigation.
Right now Debbie Wasserman Schultz is trying to force the Capitol Police to give her back evidence that has been seized as the Awans fled. Like a laptop one of them hid in a crevice of the capitol building.

In that hearing on the Capitol Police budget, she kept insisting the equipment was "lost", and the fact it is evidence in a criminal investigation needs to be ignored because this is just lost equipment needing to be returned. She told the Chief of Police there would be consequences for him. Because he is not just giving her this criminal evidence.

If the cops have a laptop that was synced to all the other communications devices - then a lot of corrupt politicians from both parties could be at risk of exposure.

I think this has a lot to do with the lack of coverage.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 08:25 PM   #5
mgidm86
Illuminator

The OP seems to imply that they were from Pakistan. Is this correct?

Thank you for posting this thread, I had no idea this was going on.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Civet
Graduate Poster

A lot of the media sources are calling them Pakistani, but don't specify whether they were born in Pakistan or are simply of Pakistani ancestry. Some articles are claiming that they've fled the US for Pakistan and that they may have substantial assets there. Don't think that's been confirmed anywhere, but it would make sense for them to lam it someplace where they have family connections and some stashed loot.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 11:09 PM   #7
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
The OP seems to imply that they were from Pakistan. Is this correct?

Thank you for posting this thread, I had no idea this was going on.
Thank you for being interested. I've never seen the mainstream media so completely out of touch - so hysterical on Russia and so oblivious to things like this.

We are talking about the product of our tens of billions in intelligence gathering, our military planning, and all the compromising material on congressmen being in the hands of these criminals in flight, and for many years.

Awan is the major tribe that is the prime source for recruiting in the Pakistani army so that might not even be their real or their full name, but their tribal name.

We need to be suspicious when there is so little information on something so huge. One thing the Capitol Police have said is that the investigation concerns moving massive amounts of material to an off-site server. I'm sure that was just a free back-up service for congress, right? They're so nice they didn't even want to bother anyone with the details on that free off-site backup service.

We don't know for certain about their visa and passport situation, nor why Debbie Wasserman Schultz got the Awan brothers introduced to congressmen to perform these duties in the first place. All throughout the situation though, powerful people pushed for their immigration, hiring, special top secret access, and perhaps even escape.

Just what good is it, all the billions upon billions we spend and the prosecutions we pursue for small security breaches when we have a situation like this with foreign criminals running the IT and communications network for the most top secret congressional committee members?

What are we doing now to prevent it in the future? We aren't even talking about it.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 12th June 2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:34 PM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

So... Non-Russians stealing intel is proof that Russia is falsely blamed about the election?
Old 12th June 2017, 11:42 PM   #9
Civet
Graduate Poster

It's getting some limited mainstream coverage. Less than in probably should. Here's an article from the Blaze last month:
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05...house-members/

Fox news has an article noting that some House data was on an external server, but doesn't indicate how much or whether any of the data was classified:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...er-access.html

You say "powerful people pushed for their immigration". That's striking and of great interest. I can't confirm that anywhere. I can't confirm that these guys are even immigrants. Where'd you get that piece of information?
Old 13th June 2017, 12:45 AM   #10
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

It's getting some limited mainstream coverage. Less than in probably should. Here's an article from the Blaze last month:
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05...house-members/

Fox news has an article noting that some House data was on an external server, but doesn't indicate how much or whether any of the data was classified:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...er-access.html

You say "powerful people pushed for their immigration". That's striking and of great interest. I can't confirm that anywhere. I can't confirm that these guys are even immigrants. Where'd you get that piece of information?
Thanks - this is an obvious inference, but allow me to fill in what it is based upon. Articles agree they are from Pakistan. We can trace their employment as far back as 2004 for Robert Wexler of Florida, then DWS in 2005 and a lot more as the years went by.

How do they get from Pakistan to the USA? You need a visa. To be employed, you need either an EAD (one year)and continue getting it approved or to apply for permanent residency. But what would the basis be? Imran was already married. He did not come over on a family visa from another relative. They've been paid millions of dollars altogether, just IT staff. Imran alone $2 million. Way overpaid. It is extraordinary. It just reeks of some kind of special entry or status for staying. To come over directly from a foreign country and begin working for a congressman at these lofty salaries - that's incredible.

Typical routes for a Pakistani are going to be something like a student visa followed by marriage or an employment visa. Or coming in on a fiance/spousal visa. There's an investment visa, like if you come in with a million dollars and start a company. It wouldn't be political asylum. If it was to come work for congressman, that's just too bizarre but it would be an explanation. Some articles connect them to the ISI. Well at least that's an explanation too even if it is a bad one. The State Department can issue Diplomatic visas, I think those are the A1 and A2's. But no matter how, it is some kind of special treatment and given their theft of this national property it sure demands inspection of why.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 13th June 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:13 AM   #11
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It seems tricky to get information about this from an impartial reliable source. As PhantomWolf points out, the New York Post isn't particularly reliable.

Does anyone have a link to a "mainstream" source ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 01:22 AM   #12
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It seems tricky to get information about this from an impartial reliable source. As PhantomWolf points out, the New York Post isn't particularly reliable.

I'm also not seeing the connection to a 10-year-old immigration. Is that nefarious? How would this incident differ from someone recruiting an Ed Snowden fresh? Is it meant to just be a "gotcha" against Congress?

Not enough dots for my liking.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 06:06 AM   #13
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

If you mean CNN or the BBC, I don't think there has been any coverage there. So far, even taking in everything from the other sources there just isn't much actual information. Unusually well-paid tech guys with roots in Pakistan turned out to be scammers/thieves and pulled up stakes when the law got onto them. Pretty much everything else is guesswork at this point.
Still, given who they worked for, even just the underlying theft stuff should be enough to warrant some coverage.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:08 PM   #14
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

We have a paradox. Not me, but this forum. Mainstream media has never been this hysterical and beside themselves to force a narrative on us. That means independent and crowd source investigations are all we have. I am going to suggest George Webb on Youtube. It is hundreds of short clips. Lately he has been joined by Jason Goodman and there's been some drama with others looking into it. Unfortunately that makes them easy targets for facile attacks. Oh, Jason raised his voice so he is a crazy person, etc. but I like George. You have to follow dozens of his clips just to get up to speed on names and modus operandi. But read widely and use a skeptical mind instead of waiting for CNN to tell us whst to think. Russia russia russia
Old 13th June 2017, 12:27 PM   #15
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
We have a paradox. Not me, but this forum. Mainstream media has never been this hysterical and beside themselves to force a narrative on us...

Russia russia russia
First of all, put a little effort into making sense.

Second, what is your point? I don't see any conceivable connection between this thread and the Russia story. If all you have is a tired old complaint about the mainstream media, then please say so.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 12:33 PM   #16
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

If I couldn't read the OP's name I would swear this was written by someone who would hav e used the word "Pressitutes".

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 12:49 PM   #17
mgidm86
Illuminator

We have a paradox. Not me, but this forum.
You got that right.

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
First of all, put a little effort into making sense.

Second, what is your point? I don't see any conceivable connection between this thread and the Russia story. If all you have is a tired old complaint about the mainstream media, then please say so.
What Russia story connection?

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
If I couldn't read the OP's name I would swear this was written by someone who would hav e used the word "Pressitutes".

You mean "presstitutes" and "have". Thanks for contributing.

This story just isn't sexy enough.

Let's assume these guys were from Pakistan. Should we be hiring immigrants to do this type of work?

No, there is no guarantee that an American citizen wouldn't do something like this, but to bring in people from Pakistan, or virtually any other country seems really stupid. Sounds like either nobody knew who they were, or everybody did and hired them for that reason.

Not enough info really, and I don't have time to look into this stuff these days.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 01:24 PM   #18
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
What Russia story connection?
I wish I knew. The OP was the one to bring up the Russia story in this thread.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 01:35 PM   #19
Civet
Graduate Poster

Can't speak for the OP, but the conspirisphere seems pretty convinced that Russia wasn't behind the DNC hack and the either Seth Rich leaked stuff and got whacked or the Awan bros. were behind the hack. Since both the Seth Rich and the Awan bros. theories aren't very compatible with the Russian hacking allegations, the MSM Russia story must be bogus and the MSM must be pushing it for some corrupt reason.
Old 13th June 2017, 02:05 PM   #20
Civet
Graduate Poster

I am going to suggest George Webb on Youtube. It is hundreds of short clips.
Webb does a crap job of organizing his videos. There's a zillion of them and their titles and labels are of very limited utility. I'm quick to clown Alex Jones, but that man knows how to present a narrative and edit a documentary. Oddly, Infowars coverage on this Awan family stuff has been pretty limited.
Old 14th June 2017, 12:30 PM   #21
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Well here we are again then - if it isn't produced by billion-dollar entities funded by the largest commercial interests in the world - big pharma, banks, etc. then it just isn't worth looking at.

Webb is just taking his video with him wherever he is going for the investigation that day. Stepping into the stream after he's produced 800 of them is difficult but there are a number of Reddit threads with Cliff notes.

It's no wonder this forum is dying, and why a channel like Jason's went from under 100 subscribers to over 11,000 in two weeks. H A Goodman, who I have followed for months now has about 80,000. Lionel Nation is over 70,000. Webb has 40,000.
It's a long list of channels covering the Awan brothers and the tentacles to drug ratlines, theft of geospatial intelligence, political crime, organ harvesting, etc. with huge subscription bases.

This is a dying forum with a mere 62 viewers on the entire political page whereas the last livestream I watched of Jason's had over 1,700 live viewers. Lots of participants doing legwork on the stream looking stuff up in real time as the stream proceeds.

So the comment about "not sexy" is pretty interesting when there a thousand times more people on these much newer channels. This forum permits discussion within the mainstream narrative on the political page, so threads on "Trump Russia" - a conspiracy theory - are front and center with no proof like we have here with the Awans: the hundreds of thousands of dollars in theft, their unquestioned authority over key congressional top-secret IT systems, their radical jihadi facebook posts, etc. Yet this is the one moved to "conspiracy theories" so participants can be considered nut-jobs.

It is self-selection bias on membership and the approved discussions here now. These mainstream news outlets are the ones that lied us into war in Iraq, lied to us about what was going on in Libya, in Syria, and a long list of other major events. Yet, these are the "approved" sources for this forum.

Well, at least I did get a few people's attention to the Awan brothers and am plugging these channels for people who are sick of being told what the news is and who we are allowed to get it from. The forum deserves the death it is experiencing.`It is so, so refreshing to be participating on these other channels.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 14th June 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:41 PM   #22
Civet
Graduate Poster

Well here we are again then - if it isn't produced by billion-dollar entities funded by the largest commercial interests in the world - big pharma, banks, etc. then it just isn't worth looking at.

Webb is just taking his video with him wherever he is going for the investigation that day. Stepping into the stream after he's produced 800 of them is difficult but there are a number of Reddit threads with Cliff notes.
With the low-cost and free resources available today, there's just no excuse for lousy presentation even if working with a modest budget. Lots of the guys researching this Awan story are strictly amateur hour in their presentation.

Quote:
Well, at least I did get a few people's attention to the Awan brothers and am plugging these channels for people who are sick of being told what the news is and who we are allowed to get it from. The forum deserves the death it is experiencing.`It is so, so refreshing to be participating on these other channels.
You might have better luck attracting some interest if you include some links in your material. When dealing with a story that's virgin territory for an audience it can be helpful to provide a good starting point and evidence is always welcome when making a controversial claim.
Old 16th June 2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thanks - this is an obvious inference, but allow me to fill in what it is based upon. Articles agree they are from Pakistan. We can trace their employment as far back as 2004 for Robert Wexler of Florida, then DWS in 2005 and a lot more as the years went by.
I tend to start at the beginning.

Evidence that they were not born in the US would be the first step. The rest of this post about high level influence on the immigration system is just pure speculation without first establishing that they are immigrants themselves and not just the children of immigrants.

Then you can move on to step two, but instead we seem to have left step one at a break neck pace with out taking care of it.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 02:37 PM   #24
Civet
Graduate Poster

I've looked at a fair number of articles about this situation at this point and there's absolutely no indication as to whether these guys were born in Pakistan or are simply ethnically Pakistani. The only verified story here is that these guys were apparently overpaid, are accused of stealing/scamming and are currently in the wind. I think that's a pretty interesting story in an "episode of American Greed" sort of way, but there's absolutely no confirmation that this is a story interesting in a "next season of 24" sort of way.
That said, I still think they need to be thoroughly investigated just in case. For all I know, they are being investigated by the proper authorities.
Old 15th July 2017, 10:10 PM   #25
Civet
Graduate Poster

So the Daily Caller is still doing some journalism on this whole thing. Looking a lot more "con man" than "spy" the more that comes out. Imran Awan is also clearly described as Pakistani-born in this article.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/15/ho...ssociates-say/
Old 17th July 2017, 10:09 AM   #26
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

General observations.

Whoever's in charge of the government and bureaucracy, CYA rules the day.

There's been all sorts of issues that have come up wrt the handling of sensitive information/documents etc. and unless somebody in the media sees an angle on it for their benefit it never makes it into the media and public notice.

Case in point - it took the murder of Kate Steinle to get the media interested in how many LE firearms go missing because of officer negligence - don't get me started on the illegal alien element of the story - and I don't know many folks are aware of this story:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...rk-3205200.php

"A disgruntled city computer engineer has virtually commandeered San Francisco's new multimillion-dollar computer network, altering it to deny access to top administrators even as he sits in jail on $5 million bail, authorities said Monday.

Terry Childs, a 43-year-old computer network administrator who lives in Pittsburg, has been charged with four counts of computer tampering and is scheduled to be arraigned today.

Prosecutors say Childs, who works in the Department of Technology at a base salary of just over $126,000, tampered with the city's new FiberWAN (Wide Area Network), where records such as officials' e-mails, city payroll files, confidential law enforcement documents and jail inmates' bookings are stored."

The S.F. case is in no way as serious as this case, but it demonstrates the way in which physical access to computer networks allows individuals with bad intent to wreak havoc or compromise security of information.

Specific observations.

The high pay could be a result of hourly wage inflation by overtime - another government issue that gets trotted out for the public to see now and then. This story addresses issues at S.F. General hospital, but interested parties will find plenty of non-LE examples:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier...al-4937796.php

In the past fiscal year, records show sheriff's Sgt. Gary Noda, who oversees some of the four-deputy shifts, was paid $61,200 in OT.

Fellow Sgt. Eric Cranston, who like Noda earns a base pay of $109,000, boosted his total earnings to more than $182,000 with overtime and other premiums.

Cranston started out years ago as an institutional officer, a job that requires less advanced training. He has long been one of the city's top wage earners, pulling down $220,251 as far back as 2006 when there were fewer restrictions on overtime and he typically worked an extra 2,500 hours a year.

Gorwood said that next month the department will be adding its first new academy class, with 22 recruits, since 2009. But she said it will take more - the Sheriff's Department says it is short about 55 deputies - to cut the overtime.

Given the other allegations against the brothers, actual overtime theft may be an issue as well.

As to the vetting process - IT guys are pretty much viewed as drones in many environments, even though they have the keys to the kingdom in many ways. I know for a fact that in some corporations the only vetting process entry level IT people go through is a very basic pre-employment criminal background screening (minimal) and social security number/work history/educational verification. In cases where the the applicant has resided in counties/states where the records aren't available electronically, if they like the guy and everything else is clean they'll hire the guy regardless - it costs "too much" to send an investigator to whatever locality is involved and go through the process of an actual CBG check - 100% stupid, but the bottom line is hard, and sending someone out to take a look-see cost money. The bottom line wins.

If an IT guy sticks around and moves up, very few corps. do any sort of after employment security checks, not just on IT workers either. If the guy shows up for work and doesn't make waves and cause problems, the chance they'll ever go through another BGC check, no matter how high they rise, is essentially -0-.

The question of visas I'll need to leave to someone experience in that area. I do know that if Uncle Sugar digs you, pretty much all doors open.

Was I appointed Emperor, in my kingdom the folks that have access to the Emperors' IT network would be vetted no differently than a candidate for SF, save the PFT requirement.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Civet
Graduate Poster

The overtime abuse idea makes perfect sense. As a mere bot I don't really know much about espionage, but I wouldn't think that highly valued spies would endanger their cover by engaging in relatively small-time scammer activity.
Old 17th July 2017, 05:24 PM   #28
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The overtime abuse idea makes perfect sense. As a mere bot I don't really know much about espionage, but I wouldn't think that highly valued spies would endanger their cover by engaging in relatively small-time scammer activity.
But folks with general criminal inclinations will.

A branch of my own family I have no contact with almost caused my SC to be revoked. They weren't and aren't master criminals. If they got turned loose in an IT department with little or no oversight they most likely would act much different, absent running to a foreign country.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 08:17 PM   #29
Civet
Graduate Poster

Looks like the FBI finally arrested Imran Awan. Apparently trying to flee the country after sending some loot abroad. Earlier conspiracy theory-style reporting had given me the impression that he'd already lammed it, but he was still in the US. Just sent the wife and kids abroad with some money. Everything still points more to crooks than spies. Unless "go to Dulles and try to fly out using your real passport" is the best exfiltration plan Pakistan could come up with for an incredibly valuable agent.
Old 25th July 2017, 08:19 PM   #30
Civet
Graduate Poster

Neglected to post a link:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/25/wa...e-the-country/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories