ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags circumcision , circumcision incidents , circumcision issues

Old 4th July 2017, 09:20 AM   #121
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why? Because I won't play along with your absurd scenario?

I've been straightforward throughout this thread. I've been open and honest about my experience. For that I've received insults and mockery. You don't want straightforward. You want dysfunction. A circumcised man has straightforwardly told you that the procedure caused him no noticeable suffering, and cost him no measurable function. You responded by creating a fantasy in which he's dysfunctionally incapable of acknowledging a problem he doesn't even have. Your argument is offensive. It's dishonest. It's anything but straightforward. You're not concerned about my foreskin. You're just upset because I'm not expressing Correct Thought.
I would like to reiterate that I created an entirely fictitious person and I have never once suggested any member here has a dead and/or gangrenous penis.

/facepalm

ETA: hard to know loss of measurable function if there was never unaltered function to measure. Hard to run an experiment with no control group.

I did link a study which showed a proper corrective procedure in circumcised adults with significant differences in "measurable function."

Hmmm...replies thus far continue to boil down to "don't you dare say that about my penis."

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 4th July 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:36 AM   #122
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Maybe you should read the whole thread rather than nitpicking in this way. We've been talking about an irreversible surgical procedure from the outset. Hair and nail clipping are irrelevant to the gist of the discussion.
Yeah maybe, or maybe not.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:31 PM   #123
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
No one can logically defend cutting bits of of people as a practice...
I don't think it needs defending. It's a very safe procedure with minor benefits and only imaginary harm. Describing it as "cutting bits off of people" is hyperbole and downright silly.

It's like how if I were discussing the merits of having one leg or two.
A better analogy would be discussing the benefits of having webbing between your toes.

That being said it's a very illogical and shady debate tactic.
Not any more illogical and shady than your tactics of silly hyperbole or equating it to losing a leg.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 4th July 2017, 12:32 PM   #124
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I wonder what the long term result would be if all references to circumcision, including within the medical community and literature, were to be replaced with "male genital mutilation".

"Is this Dr. Blade's office?"

"Yeah, we want to schedule our son's male genital mutilation."

"Thursday next? 9:00am?"

"Sure. That'll be fine."
Old 4th July 2017, 12:38 PM   #125
sadhatter
Philosopher

I know what gangrene is. I'm trying to figure out why Delphic Oracle keeps trying to make an analogy between reporting no ill effects from circumcision and reporting no ill effects from gangrenous limb loss.
Oh so you just didn't get any of it, I'd have more sympathy but the analogy and it's point have been explained quite a few times.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 12:39 PM   #126
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is not serious answer to the actual question, if it was you'd be up to the millions and equating a male's foreskin to a dead skin cell.
The actual question is a "slippery slope" argument. It doesn't follow that believing circumcision is okay that a person must have and justify a whole list of acceptable procedures.

It's silly.

Old 4th July 2017, 12:41 PM   #127
sadhatter
Philosopher

A lot of men actually quite like the idea of having a sub par penis. Try not to stereotype so hard.

Anyway, some people in this thread seem to be extremely triggered by the idea of male circumcision. Personally, I think the practice should probably be discontinued. It doesn't seem to have much benefit, and it brings a lot of unnecessary risks. But that said--and also personally--as a "victim" of the procedure I really don't get the outrage being expressed by some people here.

I mean, you keep making all these appeals to emotion, and I'm like, what? You're trying to tell me how I'm supposed to feel about my own dick? That's the argument you're going with? Honestly, I think you're probably more unhappy about my penis than I am. Which is why I asked.

But hey, if you're uncomfortable talking about my penis, that's okay. Go ahead and make your calm, medical argument against male circumcision. Let's see if you can manage it without the melodrama.
Please show me how my arguement is emotional in nature.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 12:45 PM   #128
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I don't think it needs defending. It's a very safe procedure with minor benefits and only imaginary harm. Describing it as "cutting bits off of people" is hyperbole and downright silly.

A better analogy would be discussing the benefits of having webbing between your toes.

Not any more illogical and shady than your tactics of silly hyperbole or equating it to losing a leg.

Only imaginary harm.

So a Google search of botched circumcision should return no results then?

Also I was not equating it to losing a leg, I was showing an example of why people tend to stop arguing when someone refuses to not personalize an arguement.

Read people's whole post and you will find your level of understanding rises.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:49 PM   #129
sadhatter
Philosopher

The actual question is a "slippery slope" argument. It doesn't follow that believing circumcision is okay that a person must have and justify a whole list of acceptable procedures.

It's silly.

But if you say it is okay people are going to ask for your logic. If said logic is inconsistent people are not going to be convinced.

It would be like if I said it is acceptable to steal a chocolate bar but not a similarly priced bag of skittles. If I cannot logically state why the two are different enough to warrent support one but not the other three chances of me convincing people are going to be close to zero.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:58 PM   #130
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I've been straightforward throughout this thread. I've been open and honest about my experience. For that I've received insults and mockery. You don't want straightforward. You want dysfunction. A circumcised man has straightforwardly told you that the procedure caused him no noticeable suffering, and cost him no measurable function. You responded by creating a fantasy in which he's dysfunctionally incapable of acknowledging a problem he doesn't even have. Your argument is offensive. It's dishonest. It's anything but straightforward. You're not concerned about my foreskin. You're just upset because I'm not expressing Correct Thought.
QFT.

Old 4th July 2017, 01:01 PM   #131
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Please show me how my arguement is emotional in nature.
The following is purely emotive.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I wonder what the long term result would be if all references to circumcision, including within the medical community and literature, were to be replaced with "male genital mutilation".

"Sure. That'll be fine."

Old 4th July 2017, 01:04 PM   #132
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Only imaginary harm.

So a Google search of botched circumcision should return no results then?
Rule of so.

Read people's whole post and you will find your level of understanding rises.
I did. The removal of a piece of skin is still not comparable to a leg.

Old 4th July 2017, 01:19 PM   #133
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

But if you say it is okay people are going to ask for your logic. If said logic is inconsistent people are not going to be convinced.
It's been okay for thousands of years now, so I would think it would be more natural to enquire about the logic of the person who believes they have the right to interfere with someone else's decision.

As for my logic, I've already explained it. It's a very low risk procedure with some minor benefits.

It would be like if I said it is acceptable to steal a chocolate bar but not a similarly priced bag of skittles. If I cannot logically state why the two are different enough to warrent support one but not the other three chances of me convincing people are going to be close to zero.
I think the onus is on you to say why your opinion gives you the right to interfere with someone else's decisions.

Old 4th July 2017, 01:24 PM   #134
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The following is purely emotive.

Why is a medically accurate description of the procedure "purely emotive".

""Emotive"? Perhaps. Many medically accurate descriptions have that quality. Being emotion, the relevance tends to vary with the individual.

But "purely"? I don't think so, unless you are trying to dismiss the medically accurate part entirely.

An effort which some might view as "emotive" in its own right.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:27 PM   #135
Babbylonian
Philosopher

My mother actually apologized to me - out of the blue - for having my foreskin removed. She learned the facts and decided that she had done the wrong thing due to her perception of societal norms. I was touched and, once again, impressed by her ability to discard bad information when provided with better information.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 01:46 PM   #136
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Rule of so.
The stupidest rule on the internet.

Only imaginary harm?

The public debate on male circumcision in Norway started not so long ago because there were deaths.

Yes, deaths. From circumcision, on a baby boy, in a hospital, by a doctor. It happens.

Of course, deaths are rare. But it happens. Much more common are botched circumcisions. It's a very small area to operate on. Cutting away too much is not uncommon. I suggest you do try that google search.

I mean, I didn't use the word "so", so you'll give more credence to my post, right?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 01:47 PM   #137
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That is not factually correct, a circumcision removes functional tissue.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:50 PM   #138
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...
It removes functional tissue i.e. it removes, skin, nerves and so on. The "harm" may be slight but it is certainly not imaginary.

And of course there is the very real issue of serious complications following the surgical procedure.

...snip...

A better analogy would be discussing the benefits of having webbing between your toes. ..snip...
Er no it wouldn't.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:51 PM   #139
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

"Sure. That'll be fine."
The campaign against female genital mutilation used this approach and it seems to have had the desired effect.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:52 PM   #140
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It's silly.

But it does show a lack of consistency in reasoning.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:56 PM   #141
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip..

I think the onus is on you to say why your opinion gives you the right to interfere with someone else's decisions.

Most people who are against circumcision in infants are absolutely fine with an adult making the decision to have a circumcision for whatever reason. By making a choice for an infant you are removing the future choice for that adult, why is it important to remove that choice?
Old 4th July 2017, 01:58 PM   #142
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

It's been okay for thousands of years now, so ...
Rule of "It's been okay for thousands of years now, so ... "

Do you see how absurd that line of argument is?

"It was OK to engage in bear-baiting and burning witches for a thousand years, so ..." ... we carry on doing those things? ffs

It hasn't "been OK" at all. There are no benefits and some significant-but-variable deficits, and the whole caboodle is based on a mythical meeting between a deity and 'some dude called Abram'.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:59 PM   #143
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

It removes functional tissue i.e. it removes, skin, nerves and so on. The "harm" may be slight but it is certainly not imaginary.
Unlike the reason it is done for i.e. imaginary entities - even those dreamt up thousands of years ago. No logical reason for it at all but, emotions.
Old 4th July 2017, 02:24 PM   #144
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Why is a medically accurate description of the procedure "purely emotive".
Because the only argument in that post was emotive.

Imagine the same argument being used for abortions? [i]"I wonder what the long term result would be if all references to abortion, including within the medical community and literature, were to be replaced with 'prenatal infanticide?'"

""Emotive"? Perhaps. Many medically accurate descriptions have that quality. Being emotion, the relevance tends to vary with the individual.
I can't think of any. Can you name a few?

But "purely"? I don't think so, unless you are trying to dismiss the medically accurate part entirely.
What was the "medically accurate" part of that post?

Old 4th July 2017, 02:41 PM   #145
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The stupidest rule on the internet.
It's pretty good when, as in this case, the "so" is followed by some conclusion that doesn't follow from what I said.

Only imaginary harm?
Right, and I was referring to imaginary harm as stated by some of the more extreme "intactivists" who make absurd claims such as that the foreskin is super-sensitive, more like a male clittorus, and it's removal is devastating to the person's sex life. I was not referring to actual harm as can happen in rare cases.

The public debate on male circumcision in Norway started not so long ago because there were deaths.
Right...and picked up and promoted by some anti-Immigrant political parties, correct? Because this issue effects some populations more than others, correct? Populations that are sometimes regarded as less desirable?

Yes, deaths. From circumcision, on a baby boy, in a hospital, by a doctor. It happens.
It is relevant that deaths do happen and also that they are rare.
Old 4th July 2017, 02:44 PM   #146
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
Unlike the reason it is done for i.e. imaginary entities - even those dreamt up thousands of years ago. No logical reason for it at all but, emotions.
If your reasoning is anti-religious, then it's also anti-cultural for those people who follow those religions.

Invoking this as a reason not to have your own sons circumcised makes perfect sense as it is you invoking your own religious freedom. Invoking this as a reason to prevent someone else from doing it to their sons is an action to suppress their religious freedom.
Old 4th July 2017, 02:45 PM   #147
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

By making a choice for an infant you are removing the future choice for that adult, why is it important to remove that choice?
When did I ever say it's important to remove that choice?
Old 4th July 2017, 02:49 PM   #148
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

That is not factually correct, a circumcision removes functional tissue.
The function being to keep a few drops of urine on the glans to promote inflammation and bad smell, and also as a collection place for smegma.
Old 4th July 2017, 03:07 PM   #149
angrysoba
Philosophile

It's pretty good when, as in this case, the "so" is followed by some conclusion that doesn't follow from what I said.
The rule of so refers to the setting up of a strawman, as when someone says they think military expenditure should be reduced: "so you're saying that it would be okay if North Korea invades and kills everyone - so, you're saying you want that to happen, right?"

Quote:
Right, and I was referring to imaginary harm as stated by some of the more extreme "intactivists" who make absurd claims such as that the foreskin is super-sensitive, more like a male clittorus, and it's removal is devastating to the person's sex life. I was not referring to actual harm as can happen in rare cases.
This is not remotely obvious from what you said, and it fails to address the argument that such elective surgery can cause complications which cause real harm. This alone is a reason to not do the procedure, in my opinion, unless a demonstrable benefit outweighs it. It seems to me that in *rare* cases the possible benefits outweigh the risks, but in countries where it is prevalent, "rare" botched circumcisions seem to be the price that the society is willing to pay for prolonging a cultural practice. And that brings us to the second point which is that the recipients of circumcision don't get to vote on this. If you want to make this a matter of choice then the only choice that makes sense in a rights-based system is that of the person circumcised in which case I suggest they can choose at eighteen.

Quote:
Right...and picked up and promoted by some anti-Immigrant political parties, correct? Because this issue effects some populations more than others, correct? Populations that are sometimes regarded as less desirable?
Now this is just well-poisoning. You're against circumcision, and Nazis are against circumcision, therefore you are a Nazi. Let's imagine that the Nazis are against circumcision. Hey, the Nazis are right. They may be right for the wrong reasons and motivated by ethnic hatred but if they are against circumcision then they arrived at the correct conclusion. Let's not try and scare people off and allow the Nazis to be the only people who are right about this. That would be handing them an undeserved moral victory.

Quote:
It is relevant that deaths do happen and also that they are rare.
Yes, rare, and unnecessary. Let's not have any more unnecessary deaths eh? I'm sure you will agree with that.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 03:07 PM   #150
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

We men are not just ignorant about our own sex organs, we're damn proud of that ignorance.

Wow.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 03:12 PM   #151
angrysoba
Philosophile

If your reasoning is anti-religious, then it's also anti-cultural for those people who follow those religions.

Invoking this as a reason not to have your own sons circumcised makes perfect sense as it is you invoking your own religious freedom. Invoking this as a reason to prevent someone else from doing it to their sons is an action to suppress their religious freedom.
No problem. I think when "religious freedom" impinges on the freedom of others then it is correct to deny it. Your argument only works if you can extend it to FGM, suttee and cutting off the hands of thieves etc...
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 03:45 PM   #152
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

No - "No logical reason for it at all but, emotions."
Old 4th July 2017, 04:32 PM   #153
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

No - "No logical reason for it at all but, emotions."
And religious and cultural freedom.
Old 4th July 2017, 04:37 PM   #154
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
No problem. I think when "religious freedom" impinges on the freedom of others then it is correct to deny it. Your argument only works if you can extend it to FGM, suttee and cutting off the hands of thieves etc...
I disagree that I need to justify sati, FGM, and chopping off hands to says that circumcision should be left to the decision of the parents, because none of those are comparable to circumcision.
Old 4th July 2017, 04:38 PM   #155
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
We men are not just ignorant about our own sex organs, we're damn proud of that ignorance.

Wow.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Educate us.
Old 4th July 2017, 04:43 PM   #156
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

And religious and cultural freedom.
If they are illogical, and I would add that the religious aspect drives the culture, then they are not to be considered as a valid starting point to this argument i.e. whether chopping bits of male babies or later female children (when it comes to FGM) stems from correct initial critical thinking.

Last edited by Belgian thought; 4th July 2017 at 04:49 PM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 05:09 PM   #157
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

The rule of so refers to the setting up of a strawman...
Agreed. Sadhatter's claim that "So a Google search of botched circumcision should return no results then?" was a strawman, though less extreme than your example.

This is not remotely obvious from what you said...
Fair enough, I hope my clarification puts this line to rest.

...and it fails to address the argument that such elective surgery can cause complications which cause real harm. This alone is a reason to not do the procedure, in my opinion, unless a demonstrable benefit outweighs it.
There are benefits, albiet minor ones. There are also small risks. I think it's possible for reasonable people to weigh the benefits and risks and come to different conclusions. What gives your opinion so much weight that we should deny the rights of others to make decisions about their children?

It seems to me that in *rare* cases the possible benefits outweigh the risks...
I disagree that would be rare.

Now this is just well-poisoning. You're against circumcision, and Nazis are against circumcision, therefore you are a Nazi.
That second sentence is a straw-man.

The first sentence...it's part of the issue, and I see no good reason to pretend it isn't.

Yes, rare, and unnecessary. Let's not have any more unnecessary deaths eh? I'm sure you will agree with that.
Disingenuous.
Old 4th July 2017, 05:11 PM   #158
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

If they are illogical, and I would add that the religious aspect drives the culture, then they are not to be considered as a valid starting point to this argument i.e. whether chopping bits of male babies or later female children (when it comes to FGM) stems from correct initial critical thinking.
Since we don't put these burdens on any other aspect of religious and cultural freedoms, why should I agree with these assertions?
Old 4th July 2017, 05:21 PM   #159
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Since we don't put these burdens on any other aspect of religious and cultural freedoms, why should I agree with these assertions?
We should apply critical thought to all aspects of religious and cultural freedoms.

We are concentrating here on one aspect, namely the mutilation of children, and more precisely on this thread, male infants.

If you wish to bring other aspects of religious and cultural freedoms, feel free to start a new thread.

Please do not muddy the water.
Old 4th July 2017, 05:47 PM   #160
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

We should apply critical thought to all aspects of religious and cultural freedoms.
That would be anti-religious and cultural freedom.

We are concentrating here on one aspect, namely the mutilation of children, and more precisely on this thread, male infants.
I disagree that circumcision equals mutilation, and I believe your reliance on that emotive term underlines the overall weakness of your argument.

If you wish to bring other aspects of religious and cultural freedoms, feel free to start a new thread.

Please do not muddy the water.
You are asserting a right to interfere with someone else's religious and cultural freedom. I think it's appropriate to explore the basis of that assertion. I disagree that I have "muddied the waters" in any way, and reserve the right to raise whatever issues I deem appropriate to convey my point of view and to challenge yours.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events