ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th July 2017, 05:37 AM   #721
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
OMG, this transcript of his NYT interview.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/1...IUWhjwtR?amp=1

How does he still not know the difference between health and life insurance?
Who knew there was a difference before? It is all to complex for anyone to keep up with clearly.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 05:39 AM   #722
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Is that supposed to be significant, though? It's hard to extrapolate from 800 to 300 million.
Provided it's representative, quite a small sample can be used to accurately gauge the views of very large populations. Making sure the sample is representative is the tricky bit, and as uke2se says that's what pollsters do.

Last edited by Pixel42; 20th July 2017 at 05:41 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 05:50 AM   #723
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Who knew there was a difference before? It is all to complex for anyone to keep up with clearly.
The whole thing is amazingly bonkers. He doesn't trust Rosenstein because he's from Baltimore (Rosenstein is from Philadelphia). His bit on Napoleon is weird in how close it is to being correct. They did an excellent job letting a lying rambler ramble.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 06:36 AM   #724
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
A source for what?
A source for defining the role of media.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 06:51 AM   #725
Civet
Muse

But what about support for it, and expanding it's use like the administration wants?
Support for it is also disturbingly bipartisan. Not sure where she stands on it now, but Kamala Harris loved civil asset forfeiture when she was in California politics. Might not like it now that Sessions is doing it.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 07:00 AM   #726
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A source for defining the role of media.
Why would the Constitution define the role of the media? It states that there shall be freedom of the press (media) but it doesn't say that the media is to take any particular role.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 07:04 AM   #727
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Why would the Constitution define the role of the media? It states that there shall be freedom of the press (media) but it doesn't say that the media is to take any particular role.
Take that up with the poster who in reply to my statement about the role of the media said the Constitution disagreed. For the points I made in response, I was perfectly happy to assume his/her premise was true for sake of argument. If you do not wish to accept their premise, I'm not able to argue for it.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 09:48 AM   #728
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Why am I NOT surprised!

President Trump's first six months:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/19/po...ths/index.html
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 09:54 AM   #729
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Why am I NOT surprised!

85% of Republicans and 33% of Independents think he's doing a fine job. I guess they either have completely different priorities to me (like those people for whom Gorsuch onto SCOTUS is such a win that they'll forgive anything) and/or they get their information from different sources that are constantly trumpeting President Trump's achievements.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 09:59 AM   #730
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
85% of Republicans and 33% of Independents think he's doing a fine job. I guess they either have completely different priorities to me (like those people for whom Gorsuch onto SCOTUS is such a win that they'll forgive anything) and/or they get their information from different sources that are constantly trumpeting President Trump's achievements.
With the exception of the continued and massive failure to repeal Obamacare, Trump's been performing well within standard Republican parameters on policy. His repulsive personal style, staggering incompetence and possible extreme corruption might cost him but he's solid on the issues.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 10:02 AM   #731
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
With the exception of the continued and massive failure to repeal Obamacare, Trump's been performing well within standard Republican parameters on policy. His repulsive personal style, staggering incompetence and possible extreme corruption might cost him but he's solid on the issues.
He is and he isn't. He was certainly not effective at helping them pass their obamacare repeal. He certainly isn't pushing them into getting anything against their policies but he is also not using the bully pulpit to advance their agenda either.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 10:06 AM   #732
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

It is troubling that despite Trump's major missteps and outrages lies, he is also a threat to the national security of the United States and yet, his supporters continue to see things as though he has done nothing wrong, which reminds me once again, how people thought Hitler was good for Germany and Tojo was good for Japan.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 10:13 AM   #733
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
In the past few weeks I've asked some Trump supporters I know why they think he's doing a good job. I've talked to about 10 so obviously YMMV but the most common answer from almost all of them:
Some variation of "He's not Hillary."

Other answers:
He's not taking any crap from the Europeans. (I have to remind them Russia is in Europe.)
He's getting rid of all the political correctness. (So racists can be racists).
He's getting people back to work like at Carrier. (And those jobs have now disappeared.)
Saved millions on military planes.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 10:13 AM   #734
Civet
Muse

He is and he isn't. He was certainly not effective at helping them pass their obamacare repeal. He certainly isn't pushing them into getting anything against their policies but he is also not using the bully pulpit to advance their agenda either.
Not as much as he could (or as much as I expected him to) but he's delivered on some stuff. Rolling back some of the Obama-era environmental regulations, pulling out of the Paris accords, killing off TPP, stepped up immigration enforcement, Gorsuch. If he can deliver a tax cut on top of all of that, I think lots of Republicans will consider him to have performed fairly well. He's pissed off enough people that I hope reelection isn't viable, but he'll keep a good chunk of the Republican base happy if he keeps doing what he's doing.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:17 AM   #735
Civet
Muse

In the past few weeks I've asked some Trump supporters I know why they think he's doing a good job. I've talked to about 10 so obviously YMMV but the most common answer from almost all of them:
Some variation of "He's not Hillary."

Other answers:
He's not taking any crap from the Europeans. (I have to remind them Russia is in Europe.)
He's getting rid of all the political correctness. (So racists can be racists).
He's getting people back to work like at Carrier. (And those jobs have now disappeared.)
Saved millions on military planes.
I've encountered variations on all of those concepts in the alt-right sewers where I hang out. Tend to come from people who consider many of Trump's worst character traits to be selling points. Same folks who wouldn't care if Trump colluded with Russia as long as it was to fight Hillary. Also that he's fighting pedophiles. They mention that a lot.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:35 AM   #736
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Why am I NOT surprised!

Gotta love the "number of walls built" part.
Old 20th July 2017, 11:57 AM   #737
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump has made 836 false or misleading statements in office:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fffbf74aad5d
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.48953e4ac9bd
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 12:53 PM   #738
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
They could save space by just printing when he tells the truth.
Old 20th July 2017, 02:14 PM   #739
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They could save space by just printing when he tells the truth.
And George Washington turns over in his grave looking at the Liar in chief.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 02:29 PM   #740
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

OMG, this transcript of his NYT interview.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/1...IUWhjwtR?amp=1

How does he still not know the difference between health and life insurance?
He never had a reason to learn anything about insurance because it has no impact on The Donald. That is also the reason for his astonishing ignorance on a great number of things, yet some say that his narcissistic personality disorder doesn't interfere with his ability to be president.

What I think is most jaw-dropping about that article is that Trump flatly states that he thinks Sessions should have warned him that he would put ethics above loyalty to Trump and recuse himself instead of protecting Trump, so that Trump could have appointed someone else. He gladly confesses that he would never have appointed someone who would do the right thing, because he thinks we should also be outraged by this insulting and "unfair" treatment of President The Donald. If his impeachment trial ever gets as far as looking for intent to obstruct justice, there's some more choice quotes.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 05:40 PM   #741
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like he's 10 votes short in the Senate to just repeal the ACA. When the Hair fails the nation succeedes.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 06:43 PM   #742
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That figure seems low.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:04 PM   #743
McHrozni
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That figure seems low.
It's about five per day on average and he's not active every day.

McHrozni
Old 21st July 2017, 12:42 AM   #744
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post

McHrozni

I tend to lean toward the "If his lips move ..." school of thought.

It saves time, and doesn't miss the mark by much at all.
Old 21st July 2017, 12:53 AM   #745
McHrozni
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I tend to lean toward the "If his lips move ..." school of thought.

It saves time, and doesn't miss the mark by much at all.
It misses Twitter

Serious though, five false statements per day is pretty much what you said.

McHrozni
Old 21st July 2017, 05:44 AM   #746
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

It misses Twitter

That assumes that his lips don't move as he spells out the words.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 07:23 AM   #747
Stacko
Philosopher

This will produce great results.

https://thinkprogress.org/amp/p/d47be4ffb1a8

When I think food safety, I think of a climate change denying radio show host with no background in the subject.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 08:07 AM   #748
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump investigating pardons for himself, family and cohorts:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6cb6dfb6968e
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 08:17 AM   #749
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That figure seems low.

McHrozni
I have to wonder just how horrible it would be to be around this lying POS for any period of time. You wouldn't be able to trust him at all. And every time he spoke you'd have to wonder, 'doesn't this clueless jerk' understand that we all can tell he's lying? And just how far do I have to put my nose up his ass to keep my job? God, it makes me sick just thinking about it.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:00 AM   #750
Bob001
Philosopher

I have to wonder just how horrible it would be to be around this lying POS for any period of time. You wouldn't be able to trust him at all. ....
Right.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9bd8ade89482
Old 21st July 2017, 09:02 AM   #751
Stacko
Philosopher

Spicer out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GlennThru...27313385353217
Old 21st July 2017, 09:10 AM   #752
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I thought he deserved his own thread. Maybe not
Old 21st July 2017, 09:18 AM   #753
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I thought he deserved his own thread. Maybe not
It depends on how long it takes for him to get a book deal.
Old 21st July 2017, 11:57 AM   #754
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't feel sorry for Spicer one bit, but to feel sad for Melissa McCarthy, who just lost a great gig.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 01:05 PM   #755
Tero
Muse

It's not like we get all the goodies ourselves. We are sharing Trump too! First the Paris agreement, now this!
Quote:
Six months ago, one powerful white man in the White House, watched by seven more, signed a piece of paper that will prevent millions of women around the world from deciding what they can and can’t do with their own bodies.

In that moment, on his very first Monday morning in office, Donald Trump effectively signed the death warrants of thousands of women. He reversed global progress on contraception, family planning, unsustainable population growth and reproductive rights. His executive order even has implications for the battle against HIV, tuberculosis and malaria.

Rarely can the presidential pen have been flourished to such devastating effect. The policy it reintroduced will shut health clinics in Uganda and HIV programmes in Mozambique; it will compel women from Nepal to Namibia to seek out deadly back-street abortions.

“It is an unprecedented attack on women’s rights – it goes much deeper than abortion,” said Ulla Müller, president and CEO of EngenderHealth, a leading advocacy organisation.

Tewodros Melesse, director general of the the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), which stands to lose as much as $100m, said the US move “seeks to restrict the rights of millions of women. It asks us as a health provider, to stop providing services which are entirely legal in countries through our members – where some of the most poorest women, depend on them.
https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...co-city-policy
Let's see, new Republican ideas...er, cut taxes? Take down big government? Fresh out of new ideas. It's like thinking up a new ad for Charmin toilet paper.Trump: What collusion?Us: Collusion is your middle name, Mr President. You never invented anything, just borrowed ideas and offered your services to foreigners desperate to get their money out of their country.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 01:07 PM   #756
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

This will produce great results.

https://thinkprogress.org/amp/p/d47be4ffb1a8

When I think food safety, I think of a climate change denying radio show host with no background in the subject.

Fortunately, there is a specific statutory requirement that the post be held by an actual scientist.

Quote:
However, there's a stipulation in the Farm Bill that was first added in 2008 that mandates that all nominees to the chief scientist role at the USDA be a scientist -- something Clovis is not.
"The Under Secretary shall be appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, from among distinguished scientists with specialized training or significant experience in agricultural research, education, and economics," the statute reads.

Another case of Trump not knowing how the government works and thinking he can do anything he wants.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 01:18 PM   #757
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Fortunately, there is a specific statutory requirement that the post be held by an actual scientist.

Another case of Trump not knowing how the government works and thinking he can do anything he wants.
Do you think that will stop the senate from confirming him? What is the legal definition that shows he is unqualified for this?
Old 21st July 2017, 01:58 PM   #758
mgidm86
Illuminator

And of course all of those 836 are clear cut lies nobody can dispute.

The Lie:
Quote:
"As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them — they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over. As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall.”
The Fact Check:
Quote:
There have been reports of drug smugglers catapulting drugs across the border, but most drugs are smuggled through legal checkpoints at the border.
What he said is stupid but where is the lie in that statement? This is one example of the 836 lies and I saw others like it.

I'm not even skeptical that he lied 836 times, I just know that the article has problems, as do most that make such claims. Any article like this is going to biased.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 02:05 PM   #759
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
And of course all of those 836 are clear cut lies nobody can dispute.

The Lie:

The Fact Check:

What he said is stupid but where is the lie in that statement? This is one example of the 836 lies and I saw others like it.

I'm not even skeptical that he lied 836 times, I just know that the article has problems, as do most that make such claims. Any article like this is going to biased.
Yeah, I've seen an alternate analysis that suggests that probably half of those claims in that article are overstated.

So the lie count is only 400.

And let's say that that is even a stretch, and maybe half of those aren't really so much lies.

That means it's only 200. About 1 a day. Is that any consolation?
Old 21st July 2017, 02:06 PM   #760
Tero
Muse

Somebody told Trump something. "Did you know they catapulted drugs over the wall?" He then includes that in his speeches. His fans do not care, it all counts for a good show. Catapulting drugs, haha haa. Trump is so funny! Best president ever! More Bud Light, guys?
Let's see, new Republican ideas...er, cut taxes? Take down big government? Fresh out of new ideas. It's like thinking up a new ad for Charmin toilet paper.Trump: What collusion?Us: Collusion is your middle name, Mr President. You never invented anything, just borrowed ideas and offered your services to foreigners desperate to get their money out of their country.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics