ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags math puzzles

Old 6th July 2017, 05:43 PM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You actually read 1755 answers to this question?
I'm now twice as old as when I started reading this thread

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:47 PM   #42
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Your sister died in car accident, when she was 3. How could you forget about that ? You are bad person.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:48 PM   #43
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
At least 13, but no more than 14.
Could be as young as 10
Old 6th July 2017, 05:51 PM   #44
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm now twice as old wrong as when I started reading this thread

ftfy
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:52 PM   #45
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
At least 13, but no more than 14.
no
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:56 PM   #46
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Not that I saw, but I am sure even you can get it right if you just stopped playing it off as stupid and simply tried solving it like the math puzzle it remains.
You already told me my answer of 14 was correct. I got that correct answer by treating it as a math puzzle.
Old 6th July 2017, 05:56 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A=4
S=A/2
S=2
A=S+2

And thus:

S=12
A=S+2
A=14

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:59 PM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

ftfy
Now you're just being an *******, RBF.

Old 6th July 2017, 05:59 PM   #49
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

You already told me my answer of 14 was correct. I got that correct answer by treating it as a math puzzle.
14 is not wrong it is simply incomplete. That should be a huge hint to you and others who have all been dancing around the answer but all missing it somehow.

It's analogous to the square root of 4 being 2......and/or -2.
Old 6th July 2017, 06:00 PM   #50
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

A=4
S=A/2
S=2
A=S+2

And thus:

S=12
A=S+2
A=14

Old 6th July 2017, 06:01 PM   #51
jadebox
Graduate Poster

I am sure that the "correct" answer has to do with the leap years. Like someone said ... the OP is engaging in pedantic silliness. The answer of 14 is correct enough.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:04 PM   #52
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

14 to 14.5
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:04 PM   #53
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

ftfy

Old 6th July 2017, 06:06 PM   #54
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
I am sure that the "correct" answer has to do with the leap years. Like someone said ... the OP is engaging in pedantic silliness. The answer of 14 is correct enough.
Leap years need not be considered if 4 years means 4 years ( 365.25 days times four) in that case the date is meaningless no?
Old 6th July 2017, 06:08 PM   #55
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

A=4
S=A/2
S=2
A=S+2

And thus:

S=12
A=S+2
A=14

A=4+x where x is between 1 and 364 days.

Somebody else due the math coz I suck at it.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:15 PM   #56
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

We're all watching the Kobiashi Maru, and RBF is soon to proclaim victory for having reprogrammed the scenario.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:16 PM   #57
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Not that I saw...
So did you post the true correct answer at the forum site where 1755 people got it wrong and nobody got it right including the person who posted the puzzle?

I'm slightly concerned that you believe you might be the only person anywhere that knows the answer. You haven't mentioned ever seeing the correct answer. You've said that the people posting in this thread are VERY VERY smart. Yet we are all not really correct and YOU ARE.

Are you like the smartest person on earth, or is your answer going to be something where people then argue that you aren't really right but rather are posing an opinion?
Old 6th July 2017, 06:16 PM   #58
ynot
Philosopher

I suspect the claimed “correct” answer will include something silly like a person being born on Dec 31, 2016 is one year younger than a person born on Jan 1, 2017.
Old 6th July 2017, 06:18 PM   #59
RussDill
Philosopher

We could consider half as old counted by days, leaving out leap day and counting by integer days. 4 years old is between 1460 days and 1824 days inclusive. That means the sister is between 730 days and 912 days inclusive.

You are between 1824-730=1094 days and 1460-912=548 days older than your sister. If your sister is 12 and just had her birthday, then you are at the minimum 13 (548 mod 365 = 1). If your sister's birthday is tomorrow, you are maximum 15 ((1094+364) mod 365 = 3). You could also be 14.

We could also consider half as old counted as integer years, again leaving out leap days and counting only integer days. Here you are 4 years old and your sister is 2 years old. So the max difference is you are 4 * 365 + 364 = 1824 and your sister is 2 * 365 = 730. So a difference of 1094 days. The min difference is you are 4 * 365 = 1460, your sister is 2 * 365 + 364 = 1094. So a difference of 366 days. This gives the same result as the above. Using the min difference on your sister's birthday makes you one year older. Using the max difference on the day before your sister's birthday makes you 3 years older.

BTW, if this is a pedantic thing about people born on leap year only having a birthday every 4 years, I swear...
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:22 PM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
A=4+x where x is between 1 and 364 days.

Somebody else due the math coz I suck at it.
That's not a math puzzle, that's math homework.

Not that the OP is much of a math puzzle itself. Either RBF sucks at basic algebra, or RBF sucks at reckoning age in the customary manner, or RBF is playing at far more silly buggers than they're ready to admit.

At this point their best option might be to *not* reveal the answer. Whatever it is, it won't live up to the hype or overcome the ill will.

I gotta figure that if 1700 people see and solve a simple math problem, then that is pretty much the correct answer. At that point anything else is effectively the hipster douchebag answer.

Old 6th July 2017, 06:26 PM   #61
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

... or is your answer going to be something where people then argue that you aren't really right but rather are posing an opinion?

Don't care how old she is... the bitch stole $100 from a grocer, then spent it back at the same store. She claims no one lost out.

Did I mention she's a bit dim?*

(*she's interning at the White House this summer... doing IT with Baron I believe )

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 6th July 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:32 PM   #62
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Everybody dicks his own potatoes.
Old 6th July 2017, 06:33 PM   #63
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

If we assume "half my age" to be "half the age that is the answer to the question," the answer is to give you a wedgie, and then 10 or 11 depending on how badly you want a followup wedgie.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:34 PM   #64
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Don't care how old she is... the bitch stole $100 from a grocer, then spent it back at the same store. She claims no one lost out.

Did I mention she's a bit dim?*

(*she's interning at the White House this summer... doing IT with Baron I believe )

Here's an idea:

I'll take £20 from your wallet without telling you. Then I'll go for a drive in your car and give you the £20 I took, to pay for the petrol. You break even, right?

Old 6th July 2017, 06:37 PM   #65
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
If we assume "half my age" to be "half the age that is the answer to the question," the answer is to give you a wedgie, and then 10 or 11 depending on how badly you want a followup wedgie.
Tried that in post #26
Old 6th July 2017, 06:42 PM   #66
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster

Maybe it's a different sister. Otherwise, it seems quite simple. I don't get all the hoopla.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:42 PM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Tried that in post #26
That was an epic attempt, but the interpretation is semantically incoherent.

Old 6th July 2017, 06:45 PM   #68
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Are we to assume this is all in base 10?

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:45 PM   #69
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

That's not a math puzzle, that's math homework.

Not that the OP is much of a math puzzle itself. Either RBF sucks at basic algebra, or RBF sucks at reckoning age in the customary manner, or RBF is playing at far more silly buggers than they're ready to admit.

At this point their best option might be to *not* reveal the answer. Whatever it is, it won't live up to the hype or overcome the ill will.

I gotta figure that if 1700 people see and solve a simple math problem, then that is pretty much the correct answer. At that point anything else is effectively the hipster douchebag answer.

You know what's funny? I googled the question and the original form is this:

Quote:
When i was 4 years old my sister was half my age. Now i'm 100 years, How old is my sister?
Old 6th July 2017, 06:46 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You know what's funny? I googled the question and the original form is this:
50, obviously. But folks insist on answering 98.

It's like nobody in the world subscribes to RBF's version of reality.

Old 6th July 2017, 06:47 PM   #71
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Maybe it's a different sister. Otherwise, it seems quite simple. I don't get all the hoopla.
I thought of that, hence my Kobiashi Maru comment.

I was thinking of the one... "... so how could the Doctor operate on their child if the patient had already lost his father?"

Old 6th July 2017, 06:50 PM   #72
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
We could consider half as old counted by days, leaving out leap day and counting by integer days. 4 years old is between 1460 days and 1824 days inclusive. That means the sister is between 730 days and 912 days inclusive.

You are between 1824-730=1094 days and 1460-912=548 days older than your sister. If your sister is 12 and just had her birthday, then you are at the minimum 13 (548 mod 365 = 1). If your sister's birthday is tomorrow, you are maximum 15 ((1094+364) mod 365 = 3). You could also be 14.

We could also consider half as old counted as integer years, again leaving out leap days and counting only integer days. Here you are 4 years old and your sister is 2 years old. So the max difference is you are 4 * 365 + 364 = 1824 and your sister is 2 * 365 = 730. So a difference of 1094 days. The min difference is you are 4 * 365 = 1460, your sister is 2 * 365 + 364 = 1094. So a difference of 366 days. This gives the same result as the above. Using the min difference on your sister's birthday makes you one year older. Using the max difference on the day before your sister's birthday makes you 3 years older.

BTW, if this is a pedantic thing about people born on leap year only having a birthday every 4 years, I swear...
Nope no leap year. Great work but you somehow still got the wrong answer?
Old 6th July 2017, 06:51 PM   #73
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Clearly, someone, including the OP, has a different understanding of what math is, than I do ...

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:57 PM   #74
ynot
Philosopher

Perhaps this thread belongs in the Conjurors Corner section given it’s a “trick question”?

Perhaps the “correct” answer is "rabbit", or "bunch of flowers"?
Old 6th July 2017, 07:03 PM   #75
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Math question turned into a logic question? Whatever. 14, or 15 if you want to be a smartarse.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:18 PM   #76
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Do you have more than one sister?

Otherwise I get 14.0082191780822 to 15.5068493150685 or 13.0109589041096 to 16.0082191780822 depending on whether by "half your age" you mean precisely half as many days old or you are rounding half to "years old" as you are so wont to do. Either way, you are far too old to be demanding such precise answers when you fail to use such precision yourself. Your sister was probably twice as smart as you when she was 4 years old!
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 6th July 2017 at 07:19 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:23 PM   #77
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Math question turned into a logic question? Whatever. 14, or 15 if you want to be a smartarse.

a person who is "4" is actually between "4" and "4 years+364 days" due to always rounding down.

So the sister will be between "2" and "2 years 182 days" younger, being half your age.

wait til sis becomes 12, then you are between 14 and 14 years +182 days. always rounding down means you are 14 either way. This is your minimum age because 12 years 0 days is your sister's minimum age.

But sis also has 364 days more before her next birthday. So depending when asked she could be up to 12 years 364 days, and the maximum you could be is 2 years 182 days older.

12 years 364 days + 2 years 182 days = 14 years 546 days = 15 years 181 days. Always rounding down means 15 years old is your maximum age.

QED

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 6th July 2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:25 PM   #78
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post

You ever gonna answer your sig question?

I keep forgetting to ask.

Old 6th July 2017, 07:25 PM   #79
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Do you have more than one sister?

Otherwise I get 14.0082191780822 to 15.5068493150685 or 13.0109589041096 to 16.0082191780822 depending on whether by "half your age" you mean precisely half as many days old or you are rounding half to "years old" as you are so wont to do. Either way, you are far too old to be demanding such precise answers when you fail to use such precision yourself. Your sister was probably twice as smart as you when she was 4 years old!
Nope kid eager was right, 14 or 15......never 13 unless you cheat with leap years, black holes or other such nonsense, which I promised already wouldn't be part of the answer.

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 6th July 2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:26 PM   #80
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I hope that when the full explanation (the punchline) comes it's cool and educational. Please don't let it be a turd.
OMG it was a turd. We already knew that answer. It's not cool or educational.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology