ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags math puzzles

Old 6th July 2017, 07:27 PM   #81
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Wait, I need to recheck that second set.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:29 PM   #82
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post

a person who is "4" is actually between "4" and "4 years+364 days" due to always rounding down.

So the sister will be between "2" and "2 years 182 days" younger, being half your age.

wait til sis becomes 12, then you are between 14 and 14 years +182 days. always rounding down means you are 14 either way. This is your minimum age because 12 years 0 days is your sister's minimum age.

But sis also has 364 days more before her next birthday. So depending when asked she could be up to 12 years 364 days, and the maximum you could be is 2 years 182 days older.

12 years 364 days + 2 years 182 days = 14 years 546 days = 15 years 181 days. Always rounding down means 15 years old is your maximum age.

QED

"You really are just a simple creature, aren't you?"

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:31 PM   #83
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
OMG it was a turd. We already knew that answer. It's not cool or educational.
If you all knew it, why didn't anyone except kid eager answer it?
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:35 PM   #84
Modified
Philosopher

a person who is "4" is actually between "4" and "4 years+364 days" due to always rounding down.

So the sister will be between "2" and "2 years 182 days" younger, being half your age.

wait til sis becomes 12, then you are between 14 and 14 years +182 days. always rounding down means you are 14 either way. This is your minimum age because 12 years 0 days is your sister's minimum age.

But sis also has 364 days more before her next birthday. So depending when asked she could be up to 12 years 364 days, and the maximum you could be is 2 years 182 days older.

12 years 364 days + 2 years 182 days = 14 years 546 days = 15 years 181 days. Always rounding down means 15 years old is your maximum age.

QED
You are mixing the colloquial meaning of age in years with the exact definition of "half". This is unreasonable. When someone says "half my age", they usually mean that persons rounded age is half of their rounded age.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:37 PM   #85
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If you all knew it, why didn't anyone except kid eager answer it?
The person asking the question has something to say...

"I didn't ask you for a range of years. I asked you how old I am."
Old 6th July 2017, 07:39 PM   #86
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

An answer of "somewhere between 5 and 95" would be absolutely correct.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:39 PM   #87
Metullus
Forum ĺ-Wit Pro Tem

Oh, for Christ's sake...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:41 PM   #88
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Kobiashi Maru.

I'm not getting the million , am I ?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:48 PM   #89
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Kobiashi Maru.

I'm not getting the million , am I ?
Kid Eager won sorry guys. On this day he was the smartest. Maybe next time they'll do the Monte Hall puzzle and you can win a million then.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:50 PM   #90
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

I was right. The numbers I posted are correct. As I said, it depends on how you interpret "half my age".

You were born 1/1/1980. Your sister was born 1/2/1981. On 1/1/1984 you just turned 4. Your sister was 2 years old. She would turn 3 the next day. You were 4 and she was 2, so she was half your age in "years old". On 1/2/1993 she turned 12. You were 13.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 6th July 2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Stoopit phone
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:53 PM   #91
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well in typical communication we say we are "4 years old" for 364 days. For high precision we would need to know the birthdays of both people. I think.
This was a winning answer.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:05 PM   #92
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

It was so close to answering I was screaming at my monitor, "He understands how to set up the problem, why doesn't he complete it!"

You had it! all you had to do was then start the math and show the results! But then you didn't produce an answer!
Old 6th July 2017, 08:13 PM   #93
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Because it's not the answer, given the data.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:15 PM   #94
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

I just figured out why my second set of numbers has a max of 16 when that doesn't make sense. I calculated number of days old/365, but I was including leap days in the dates. It should be a max age of just under 16 (one day I think).
Old 6th July 2017, 08:22 PM   #95
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It was so close to answering I was screaming at my monitor, "He understands how to set up the problem, why doesn't he complete it!"

You had it! all you had to do was then start the math and show the results! But then you didn't produce an answer!
You intentionally misled me by saying that my answer of 14 was correct. Since you do not know their age you shouldn't have said correct. But if you had been honest you would have given away the whole game. You would have said "that might be the correct answer" if you were truly running the game as forthright.

We also don't know if the person would actually accept a multi-answer. Tell me my age. You are 14 or 15. Ok, which one?
Old 6th July 2017, 08:24 PM   #96
ynot
Philosopher

There were many possible "correct" answers. RBF's particular answer is only "correct" because RBF says it is. It's a "What number am I thinking of?" thing.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:33 PM   #97
fromdownunder
Philosopher

That's it? That's the Ultimate Math Trick Question?

Somehow I get the feeling that Ultimate means something different to most of us.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 08:37 PM   #98
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

QED

Oh, that's stupid. That is just ... so stupid.

It's a logic question which means we take the words at their precise meaning. 4 years old means the person has been alive exactly 4 years. Half of that is exactly 2 years.

Otherwise, you're mixing generalized statements with some particularized statements and getting just complete and utter garbage.

For the answer you approve of to be correct, the question would have had to read, "At some point during the year after my fourth birthday ..."

The answer is 14. The reasoning you approve of is illogical and very, very stupid.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 08:46 PM   #99
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

^^^^

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 08:49 PM   #100
Roboramma
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I was right. The numbers I posted are correct. As I said, it depends on how you interpret "half my age".

You were born 1/1/1980. Your sister was born 1/2/1981. On 1/1/1984 you just turned 4. Your sister was 2 years old. She would turn 3 the next day. You were 4 and she was 2, so she was half your age in "years old". On 1/2/1993 she turned 12. You were 13.
This.

First of all, the correct answer is 14. But if you are going to play games then the above is correct and RBF is simply wrong.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 08:53 PM   #101
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Hold up.

You were born midnight 1/1/1980. At midnight 1/1/1984 you turn 4. That's 1461 days old. She's half as much at 730.5 days. So she was born noon 12/31/1981. At noon 12/31/1993, she turns 12. You are still 13 until the next day-12 hours away. On 12/31/1993 she is 12 and you are 13
Old 6th July 2017, 08:55 PM   #102
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Oh, that's stupid. That is just ... so stupid.

To expand on the stupidity ...

Why are you only using the Western colloquial definition of "four years old"? There are plenty of societies that count a person's age from the point of conception or that just declare that all people to have been born on January 1st.

Even in the West, we do that. If a baby is born on December 31, the parents get to write him off as a dependent for the whole year. So the IRS considers all children to be born on the previous January 1. it also considers all children to turn 18 on the next January 1 after their birthday.

Also, the Gregorian calendar isn't the only one in use in the world. In the Chinese calendar an ordinary year has 353, 354, or 355 days, a leap year has 383, 384, or 385 days. That's about the same for the Hebrew calendar.

What does that do to your math? It borks it completely is what it does. You choose some unstated premises to accept (like the western calendar and the western way of marking birthdays) while choosing some unstated premises to reject (like 4 meaning 4). You provide no justification for doing so, but insist that you have the "right" answer.

You don't. Your answer is, as said, stupid.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:25 PM   #103
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Even in the West, we do that. If a baby is born on December 31, the parents get to write him off as a dependent for the whole year.
I wonder how many medically induced births occur to cash in on those tax savings.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:36 PM   #104
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I wonder how many medically induced births occur to cash in on those tax savings.

At least some Eastern couples have scheduled c-sections for days they consider "lucky" like 8 or 3.

L. Leader
Old 6th July 2017, 09:41 PM   #105
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

The answer of 14 is correct in a general sense. Considering that "years old" generally means an age spanning a year, that creates an interesting math problem. The answer of 14-15 is basically correct. It doesn't account for leap years, which is important when considering how many "years old" someone is.

I should have put my answer in years and days instead of a decimal percent of years.

The correct answer is 13 years 364 days to 15 years 182 days.

For the alternative interpretation, 13 years 1 day to 15 years 364 days.
Old 6th July 2017, 09:42 PM   #106
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

QED
Well that pretty much poisons the well for every other claim you make.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:43 PM   #107
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

As best as I can tell, the correct answer lies somewhere between 13 years and 1 day and 15 years and 363 days (ignoring leap days).

Quote:
When I was 4 years old, my sister was half my age.
I could have been anywhere between 4 years old precisely (my birthday) and 4 years and 364 days, while my sister could also have been anywhere from 2 years old precisely to 2 years and 364 days. Thus, I am anywhere from 1 year and 1 day to 2 years and 364 days older than she.

Quote:
Now my sister is 12 years old. How old am I?
Again, my sister is anywhere from 12 years old precisely to 12 years and 364 days. So the bottom end of the range for my age is 13 years and 1 day, and the top end is 15 years and 363 days.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:53 PM   #108
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

That is correct for the "alternate" interpretation, but the max can be 363 or 364 when leap year is considered.
Old 6th July 2017, 09:58 PM   #109
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

There is only one problem with your gotcha. But the udnerlying assumption of those math question , is always that the math falls on integer values of year. That is why nobody go for the assumption that it was 4 year and 364 days, because they think the puzzler does not go for a cheap gotcha, going against the basic assumptions.

In fact, nobody I know would say the boy would be 4 year old at 4+364. You would say he is ABOUT 5. You would never say he is 4 in normal conversation. That is why it is a cheap gotcha. Go ahead ask a person which is a few day or even week before anybirthday, how old they are. Most will answer "about" year +1 , with their birthday coming soon.

So yeah the answer get 3 thumb down, and one ruined birthday cake.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:59 PM   #110
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Hold up.

You were born midnight 1/1/1980. At midnight 1/1/1984 you turn 4. That's 1461 days old. She's half as much at 730.5 days. So she was born noon 12/31/1981. At noon 12/31/1993, she turns 12. You are still 13 until the next day-12 hours away. On 12/31/1993 she is 12 and you are 13
incorrect. Nice try though. You sent the extra 1/2 day the wrong direction.At 12 she is 365 days x 12 = 4320 days (+3 leap days)
you will be 4320days +730.5days.(plus at least 3 and maybe 4 leap days) = squarely in the 14 th year by 1/2 a day sooner or more. You rounded that 1/2 day the wrong way. It only works to make him 13 if it is a leap day ONLY. And we already stated we wouldn't use such.
Wait, I need to recheck that second set.
check it again.

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 6th July 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 6th July 2017, 10:06 PM   #111
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Okay ...it is now clear that the correct answer is 14.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 10:09 PM   #112
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

incorrect. Nice try though. You sent the extra 1/2 day the wrong direction.At 12 she is 365 days x 12 = 4320 days (+3 leap days)
you will be 4320days +730.5days. = squarely in the 14 th year by 1/2 a day. You rounded that 1/2 day the wrong way. It only works to make him 13 if it is a leap day ONLY. And we already stated we wouldn't use such.
Jesus Christ. Are you still defending this turd? Your problem is stated in years. It's dishonest to change the units to days when evaluating answers.

You haven't discovered the "ultimate" anything.

You've just transformed a straightforward age calculation into an exercise in gratuitous dickery.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 12 and rule 0.

Last edited by zooterkin; 9th July 2017 at 11:00 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 10:30 PM   #113
RussDill
Philosopher

Since the definition of half your age is not stated in the problem, you cannot arbitrarily make one up and then claim to have the right answer because no one else guesses your arbitrary interpretation. A equally valid definition is that you are aged 4 years and your sister is aged 2 years, ignoring how long it is to your respective birthdays.

Your definition clearly falls flat if you compare it to how people in the real world consider one person's age to be half of another person's age. Let's not forget the rule that a court will construe ambiguous contract terms against the drafter of the agreement.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 10:31 PM   #114
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

You would be in the 14th year (14.00821...) but you would not have reached the date of your 14th birthday, so you would still be 13 "years old" even though you have completed the 14 the trip around the sun.

Because you were born on a leap year, you lived an extra calendar day that your sister did not. When we halve your age, that puts her born an extra half day ahead. So she hits age 12 a half day sooner. Of course you are exactly the same number of days old when she turns 12 no matter when you were born. But that leap year means you have to wait another day for the calendar date of your birth date.
Old 6th July 2017, 10:33 PM   #115
ynot
Philosopher

“When I was 4 years old” – Could mean on my 4th birthday, sometime between my 4th and 5th birthday, or I had been alive in 4 calendar years.

"my sister was half my age" – Could mean half my then age or half my current age.

"Now my sister is 12 years old" - Could mean on my sister’s 12th birthday, sometime between my sister’s 12th and 13th birthday, or my sister has been alive in 12 calendar years.

"How old am I?" - Calculate any number from the permutations above and claim it’s the “correct” answer, and that 1,755 others provided wrong and/or incomplete answers!

This thread is in the wrong section of the forum.

Last edited by ynot; 6th July 2017 at 10:35 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 02:29 AM   #116
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
Since the definition of half your age is not stated in the problem, you cannot arbitrarily make one up and then claim to have the right answer because no one else guesses your arbitrary interpretation. A equally valid definition is that you are aged 4 years and your sister is aged 2 years, ignoring how long it is to your respective birthdays.

Your definition clearly falls flat if you compare it to how people in the real world consider one person's age to be half of another person's age. Let's not forget the rule that a court will construe ambiguous contract terms against the drafter of the agreement.
I get that, which is why I have always agreed that 14 is correct, just incomplete.

It bears understanding that the problem did NOT say she was 2 though. This is the clue that signals how the puzzle is to be solved. If it had said, "When I was 4 years old, my sister was 2. Now my sister is 12 years old. How old am I?", then the answer would be either "14" or "13,14,or 15". The wording was changed to make it a puzzle. This is the type of puzzle that the smarter you are for some reason the less likely to get the right answer. We almost automatically insert 2 so strongly it is as if that is what is actually stated in the problem.So when we think deeper and consider the possibility that 4 actually is 4 + up to 364 days and 12 actually is 12 + up to 364 days, we forget that 2 is not actually stated, and we make the incorrect assumption we can state 2 + up to 364 here too.

Some will pick 24 as they double 12. Some will pick 14. Some will pick 13,14,15 not realizing, except for this falling exactly on a leap year 13 doesn't work as 1/2 was used rather than saying 2...which means it is limited to 2+ up to 182 days and the option where the sisters birthday falls prior to, allowing a 13, would mean the original criteria she would have had a chance to be 1. 1 is not half by either way of interpreting the problem so the set of options for that is thrown out. Leaving only 14 and 15, instead of 13, 14 and 15.

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 7th July 2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 7th July 2017, 02:35 AM   #117
McHrozni
Philosopher

Was surfing and came across this problem:

When I was 4 years old, my sister was half my age. Now my sister is 12 years old. How old am I?

Then I got to noticing that there was a huge thread of wrong and/or incomplete answers! 1,755 answers and not a single one as far as I could find got it 100% right. Only a very few even got close. So I thought that those of you here who like math puzzles might want to try your hand at it.

Will award the complementary 3 thumbs up to the party getting it completely right, 2 thumbs for mostly right close but no cigar, 1 for correct but not complete and for using black holes and/or speed of light cheats etc et al.
Since you went as far as to break down the meaning of "X years old", you really should explain which, if any, time dilatation anomalies were present. It is entirely possible for you to be 4 years old still, any answer that doesn't encompass that is also incomplete, including your 'ultimate' answer.

McHrozni
Old 7th July 2017, 02:40 AM   #118
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Since you went as far as to break down the meaning of "X years old", you really should explain which, if any, time dilatation anomalies were present. It is entirely possible for you to be 4 years old still, any answer that doesn't encompass that is also incomplete, including your 'ultimate' answer.

McHrozni
I did "Will award the complementary 3 thumbs up to the party getting it completely right, 2 thumbs for mostly right close but no cigar, 1 for correct but not complete and for using black holes and/or speed of light cheats etc et al."
post #1

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 7th July 2017 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add emos
Old 7th July 2017, 02:43 AM   #119
McHrozni
Philosopher

I did "Will award the complementary 3 thumbs up to the party getting it completely right, 2 thumbs for mostly right close but no cigar, 1 for correct but not complete and for using black holes and/or speed of light cheats etc et al."
post #1
I know, I cited the post. Your supposedly "complete" answer did not include time dilatation due to effects of speed or gravity.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6&postcount=77

If we include wormholes there is no minimum or maximum age you could be. This answer is at least as reasonable as your answer to the question. At a minimum you need to add there were no time dilatation effects greater for either of you during this time.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 7th July 2017 at 02:46 AM.
McHrozni is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 02:44 AM   #120
3point14
Pi

Well, that's five minutes of my life I won't get back.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology