ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th July 2017, 01:55 PM   #41
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- H.L. Mencken
Is Baltimore so bad now that it counts as the middle east?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 09:36 PM   #42
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
You are correct in your reasoning, but wrong in your conclusion.

In other words, speed isn't everything.

Falling bullets are much more dangerous because they are much more likely to hit the head.

Study: Department of Emergency Medicine at King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles

Compare that 32% with your average* gunshot mortality rate of only 5%.

*"all gunshot wound victims in general"
Which isn't much of a surprise given the fact that the head is the primary impact area from any falling object, projectile and otherwise.

I couldn't get to the full study but will. I do question how the victims of the falling projectiles have a higher mortality rate from single bullet strikes than the current standard operational position that all gunshot victims are at greater risk today because of the nature of multiple gsw's when the weapon used is a firearm with a high (actually standard capacity) capacity magazines.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:16 AM   #43
SezMe
post-pre-born

That article made me chuckle. It asserts that the sniper took into account "the curvature of the Earth". Uh-huh. Sure.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 04:56 AM   #44
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That article made me chuckle. It asserts that the sniper took into account "the curvature of the Earth". Uh-huh. Sure.
The curvature of the earth will actually be significant over these ranges. At over 2 miles, the earth will have curved downwards by more than 32 inches. And being off target by almost 3 feet is certainly a problem for shooting someone.

But I still agree with you, they probably didn't take it into account. Why? Because that's already taken into account by the position of the target.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 05:05 AM   #45
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I've often wondered how often this happens in the Middle East where firing guns into the air is apparently a common way to celebrate.
Yes, it's very common in the Middle East and there are deaths every year. It's worse in a country where a war is on like Iraq or Afghanistan. There have been several instances where celebratory gunfire was taken for ground fire by passing gunships that returned fire.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 12:37 PM   #46
TX50
Graduate Poster

I fired a bullet into the air, it fell to ground...

And killed someone.

Guns are good.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35415651/
Immediately followed by the immortal words "Bloody hell I hit him!" I wonder how many rounds he had to fire.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 01:35 PM   #47
Yeggster
Master Poster

Its a fact ... not only that they have to take into account the ROTATION of the earth as well ...

I can give you more details but it's really easy to look up .. a popular topic for arm chair snipers ... and those of us who have actual basic training.
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events