ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #2841
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
What is the basis for that claim. I'm not sure it is factual.
Authoritarian stream in USA population (no prize for guessing which party is preferred by them) is well known.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #2842
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Should President Trump concede to Biden? Poll Results: No: 190,593 (98.9%) Yes: 2,181 (1.1%) Total Votes: 192,774. @gregkellyusa @newsmax
For the good of our Country we must prevail!

Why isn’t the @GASecofState Brad Raffensperger, a so-called Republican, allowing us to look at signatures on envelopes for verification? We will find tens of thousands of fraudulent and illegal votes...

...This could also be very helpful to @SenDavidPerdue and @SenatorLoeffler. Why is he afraid of Stacey Abrams? We don’t need the ballots — we only need the signed envelopes!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 07:11 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #2843
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Authoritarian stream in USA population (no prize for guessing which party is preferred by them) is well known.
I've been saying this for years: The GOP is the party of fear. That is why they are such traditionalists, rooted in the past because it is what they know and feel comfortable with. They fear change and see it as the "unknown" and why "progressive" is a pejorative to them. Conservatives have always had this inclination; it's part of their psychology. Conservatives fear the future and change. Progressives embrace it. This from your article:

Quote:
That year, Hetherington and Weiler published a book about the effects of authoritarianism on American politics. Through a series of experiments and careful data analysis, they had come to a surprising conclusion: Much of the polarization dividing American politics was fueled not just by gerrymandering or money in politics or the other oft-cited variables, but by an unnoticed but surprisingly large electoral group ó authoritarians.

Their book concluded that the GOP, by positioning itself as the party of traditional values and law and order, had unknowingly attracted what would turn out to be a vast and previously bipartisan population of Americans with authoritarian tendencies.

This trend had been accelerated in recent years by demographic and economic changes such as immigration, which "activated" authoritarian tendencies, leading many Americans to seek out a strongman leader who would preserve a status quo they feel is under threat and impose order on a world they perceive as increasingly alien.

TRUMP EMBODIES THE CLASSIC AUTHORITARIAN LEADERSHIP STYLE: SIMPLE, POWERFUL, AND PUNITIVE
These Americans with authoritarian views, they found, were sorting into the GOP, driving polarization. But they were also creating a divide within the party, at first latent, between traditional Republican voters and this group whose views were simultaneously less orthodox and, often, more extreme.

Over time, Hetherington and Weiler had predicted, that sorting would become more and more pronounced. And so it was all but inevitable that, eventually, authoritarians would gain enough power within the GOP to make themselves heard.

At the time, even Hetherington and Weiler did not realize the explosive implications: that their theory, when followed to its natural conclusion, predicted a looming and dramatic transformation of American politics. But looking back now, the ramifications of their research seem disturbingly clear.

Authoritarians are thought to express much deeper fears than the rest of the electorate, to seek the imposition of order where they perceive dangerous change, and to desire a strong leader who will defeat those fears with force. They would thus seek a candidate who promised these things. And the extreme nature of authoritarians' fears, and of their desire to challenge threats with force, would lead them toward a candidate whose temperament was totally unlike anything we usually see in American politics ó and whose policies went far beyond the acceptable norms.

A candidate like Donald Trump
This is why we see the rise and 'coming out of the shadows' of the militia groups with their guns and the white supremacy groups. They feel they've been given permission by Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #2844
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Should President Trump concede to Biden? Poll Results: No: 190,593 (98.9%) Yes: 2,181 (1.1%) Total Votes: 192,774. @gregkellyusa @newsmax
Such a moron.

These are the numbers that matter.

Biden: 80,070,740
Trump: 73,890,232

Margin: 6,180,508
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #2845
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
As the end becomes more and more apparent, this Thanksgiving I will be thankful not only for the coming end of the Trump era, ....
While we are most certainly looking at the end of the Trump presidency, I am not sure we are looking at the end of his "era". Who knows what the orange goo will do to stay in the limelight.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #2846
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

While we are most certainly looking at the end of the Trump presidency, I am not sure we are looking at the end of his "era". Who knows what the orange goo will do to stay in the limelight.
Maybe wear a tan, I mean orange suit?

Last edited by acbytesla; Yesterday at 08:52 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #2847
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Why isnít the @GASecofState Brad Raffensperger, a so-called Republican, allowing us to look at signatures on envelopes for verification? We will find tens of thousands of fraudulent and illegal votes...

...This could also be very helpful to @SenDavidPerdue and @SenatorLoeffler. Why is he afraid of Stacey Abrams? We donít need the ballots ó we only need the signed envelopes!
I'm shocked that a Newsmax poll would result in such numbers! Shocked, I tell ya! It's almost like they're biased or something.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #2848
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Provided he doesn't go to jail/flee to China/Russia, I expect him to start campaigning for 2024.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #2849
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

I think a classic pin stripe looks better.
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #2850
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Very interesting, detailed, and dispiriting article by Tim Alberta (Politico) about what went on in Michigan these last weeks.

Quote:
Republicans in Michigan and across America have spent the past three weeks promoting baseless allegations of corruption at the ballot box, the rabid responses to which they use as justification to continue to question the fundamental integrity of our elections. It’s a vicious new playbook—one designed to stroke egos and rationalize defeats, but with unintended consequences that could spell the unraveling of America’s democratic experiment.

“By capriciously throwing around these false claims, you can’t get to the heart of a really important issue. In fact, you lose any credibility to get to the heart of that issue,” said Venable, the longtime Michigan GOP official who rocked his former comrades by endorsing Biden this fall. “And by the way, if you’re going to do an audit, you’d better do it statewide. This is not just a Detroit thing. There are sloppy Republican precincts all over the state. When I served on the Ingham County board of canvassers, we never had a problem in Lansing. You know where our big problems were? The small townships in the rural precincts of the county, run by Republican clerks. And those folks weren’t perpetrating fraud, either. That’s the point: There’s a difference between sloppiness and fraud. But you can’t solve one by inventing stories about the other.”

The Inside Story of Michigan’s Fake Voter Fraud Scandal (Politico)

Last edited by Firestone; Today at 12:43 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #2851
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Don't forget the bonus "I gave $30 to a billionaire and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt" shirt.
Isn't that already implied in all T-shirt slogans?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #2852
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Assuming the metaphor means what I think it means, I never want to see Trump in his 'orange suit'.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #2853
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Assuming the metaphor means what I think it means, I never want to see Trump in his 'orange suit'.

Dave
I took it to mean prison garb.
BillC is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #2854
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I took it to mean prison garb.
Ah, OK. That's a hell of a lot better than what I took it to mean.

Dave

- Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics