ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags computers , quantum , robots

Old 11th February 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
becomingagodo
Banned

[Ed]Robot slaves

Quantum computers are going to be built soon. The moore's law will come to a end soon, and be replaced by quantu computers. However, these will never be able to think like humans.

How would they play chess? tactically, they are really good. However in a static game computers could beat humans, however in real life this might not be possible espically in a battle field.

If we build robots wouldn't be inhumane to send them to fight. They could only kill people, even then what if they evolve.

Moore's law is kind of like the evolution of computers. But we will end up inferior soon to computers, so we must become computers. However, what would we do with poor people? the sad fact people will evolve and the poor people will be left behind.

Maybe, if we will evolve we will become communism, the way marx intended it. However, equally this could not happen. The point is, can we really trust robots to do are dirty work. When they evolve and realized they been killing people wouldn't they revolt.

Can science handle this question? Maybe, philosophy can. However, science is building robots, but when the robots revolt we will be in big trouble. That why I am against A.I. and research for A.I.

Do you really want to be inslaved by robots?
becomingagodo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
XBoxWarrior
Banned

Originally Posted by becomingagodo View Post
Do you really want to be inslaved by robots?
My ex-wife was kind of a robot, as it turned out. So I guess I answer a resounding NO!

I deleted the rest of your quote, because quite frankly, it's a tough read the 1st time?

Is English a foreign language to you? Does the spell checker not work on your computer?

Is this post about a war?

ETA: what are you drinking? I need one.

Last edited by XBoxWarrior; 11th February 2008 at 04:59 PM.
XBoxWarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Scott1972
Student

It would be a great benefit to this forum if you were enslaved by a Speak & Spell.
Scott1972 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2008, 05:50 PM   #4
INRM
Philosopher

I think that does pose an interesting point. There was a professor named Kevin Warwick I think. He proposed that humans would become cyberneticicized.

I don't think this is necessarily a good thing, but I also think developing AI to the point that it could outsmart humans isn't a good thing either.

It would almost be inevitable that they'd turn against us (We use computers as our slaves... give them intelligence and awareness and they're not going to like being slaves, we don't. We like having control of our destiny; many humans would rather die than be slaves, and it would be logical that they would be similar. Design them to not want to harm humans all you want, but if they're smart they can evaluate the beliefs they've been programmed and taught just like how theists can become atheists even despite a religious upbringing.)

INRM
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 08:04 AM   #5
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by becomingagodo View Post
However, these will never be able to think like humans.
Not known.

Quote:
If we build robots wouldn't be inhumane to send them to fight. They could only kill people, even then what if they evolve.
Not only not known, but not even grammatical. And false. Robots will do whatever you want them to do (program into them). You want "humane" fighting, program in humane fighting.

Quote:
When they evolve and realized they been killing people wouldn't they revolt.
Probably not. Robots don't usually "evolve" in the sense that you mean.

Quote:
Can science handle this question?
Yes. In fact, science is the only discipline that can handle this question, because philosophers by and large make lousy programmers.

Quote:
However, science is building robots, but when the robots revolt we will be in big trouble.
And when they don't revolt, you will look like a fool.

Quote:
That why I am against A.I. and research for A.I.
This is simply untrue. You are against AI because you don't understand it, and because you're not willing even to learn the basics in an attempt to understand it, and because you hate and fear what you don't understand.

Last edited by drkitten; 14th February 2008 at 08:05 AM.
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Reported.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Is anyone else starting to wonder if BAGO is an entry in a turing test competition?
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
philosophers by and large make lousy programmers.
You ever look at some of the spaghetti code that scientists come up with, or 30-year-old instrumentation software written in BASIC?

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
godless dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 11:18 AM   #10
INRM
Philosopher

Professor Yaffle,

What's BAGO?

godless_dave,

A rather fatalistic attitude. I mean, we're all going to die, that doesn't mean we should commit suicide right now. We should fight it until we can't fight it anymore.

Humans already have some control over evolution. There are many people that would never have been born without science for example, there are many who have diseases that they would have died of if it wasn't for science. People who were had terrible vision couldn't do much but with glasses, contacts, and laser eye surgery, can now lead productive lives.
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Professor Yaffle

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
Professor Yaffle,

What's BAGO?
BecomingAGodO

Last edited by Professor Yaffle; 14th February 2008 at 11:21 AM.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Professor Yaffle

I think that human slaves in an insect nation are far more likely
Old 14th February 2008, 11:30 AM   #13
BlackKat
Path Crosser

Professor Yaffle,
godless_dave,

A rather fatalistic attitude. I mean, we're all going to die, that doesn't mean we should commit suicide right now. We should fight it until we can't fight it anymore.
You need to watch more Futurama. HypnoToad commands it.
All hail the Hynotoad!
BlackKat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2008, 06:36 AM   #14
JonnyFive
Illuminator

You should probably stop posting these kind of threads entirely.
JonnyFive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2008, 10:13 AM   #15
tofu
Scholar

Certainly, we will one day have computers as or nearly as complex as the brains of sentient beings, and we *may* be able to organize (or program) those computers to do something interesting. However, I'm not convinced that this will ever be useful other than to study how brains work. I don't think you'd want a computer like that for any day-to-day tasks. It seems like a rather poor servant.

On the other hand, expert systems will continue to get better and more useful, and more and more tasks that you used to have to think about will be done by computer. A quick example off the top of my head: I can remember planning long car trips by pouring over maps. I haven't done that in years, thanks to mapquest, and more recently, google. I'm not sure that it was ever a useful skill, but the point is that I've totally abdicated it to the computer. That scenario will become increasingly common - it's a scenario in which computers aren't really "thinking" in the sense that most scifi depicts. They aren't going to take over the world. But in their limited scope, they do their jobs better than any human, so no human will bother. When every heart disease diagnosis is made by a computer looking at x-rays, doctors might start to lose skills.
tofu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2008, 01:36 PM   #16
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post
You ever look at some of the spaghetti code that scientists come up with, or 30-year-old instrumentation software written in BASIC?

YES!

I have seen FORTRAN IV abortions you could not even begin to imagine.

Old 15th February 2008, 01:37 PM   #17
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Now, were we talking about Robot SEX slaves, well, then I'd be onboard for it;

Julie Newmar! *sigh*
Old 16th February 2008, 03:59 PM   #18
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think that does pose an interesting point. There was a professor named Kevin Warwick I think. He proposed that humans would become cyberneticicized.

I don't think this is necessarily a good thing, but I also think developing AI to the point that it could outsmart humans isn't a good thing either.

It would almost be inevitable that they'd turn against us (We use computers as our slaves... give them intelligence and awareness and they're not going to like being slaves, we don't. We like having control of our destiny; many humans would rather die than be slaves, and it would be logical that they would be similar. Design them to not want to harm humans all you want, but if they're smart they can evaluate the beliefs they've been programmed and taught just like how theists can become atheists even despite a religious upbringing.)

INRM
I like Kevin Warwick at Reading University, I especially liked one of hie earlier ideas that he had become part cyborg merely by a subcutaneous RFID chip implant; it allwed him to unlock a certain door by waving his arm containing the non-biologically active chip at the chip reader. I would argue that was an odd form of jewelry.

I also liked the least subtle fictionalised character based on him: "Professor Kevin Reading from Warwick University"
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 04:08 PM   #19
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Now, were we talking about Robot SEX slaves, well, then I'd be onboard for it;

http://www.tvparty.com/spotpix16/living.gif

Julie Newmar! *sigh*
Didn't get all of it locally. Want DVD set!!! (And Quark!!!) (And When Things Were Rotten)
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 04:25 PM   #20
cyborg
deus ex machina

It would almost be inevitable that they'd turn against us
No it isn't.

Quote:
We use computers as our slaves... give them intelligence and awareness and they're not going to like being slaves, we don't.
That's a very anthropomorphic viewpoint.

Our dislikes and likes are not, for the most part, intellectually derived.

They are products of evolution hard-wired into us and designed to ensure our survival.

Quote:
We like having control of our destiny; many humans would rather die than be slaves, and it would be logical that they would be similar.
No it isn't. What does and does not make us happy is not, for the most part, intellectually derived.

Quote:
Design them to not want to harm humans all you want, but if they're smart they can evaluate the beliefs they've been programmed and taught just like how theists can become atheists even despite a religious upbringing.
If one has a desire to.

If one does not desire freedom no amount of intelligence will imbue a self with a desire to be rebellious.

A purely analytical machine would be quite detached from consequential analysis.

The chess playing computer cares not if it wins or loses - it merely follows its program to analyse and execute moves.
The phrase deus ex machina (literally "god out of a machine") describes an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot...
cyborg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 04:35 PM   #21
INRM
Philosopher

But if it determined that logically the world would be better without us present... what would happen then?

A highly intelligent anything can evaluate it's own beliefs and even it's desires. What if it decides that it's desires aren't rational? Like it's desire not to harm us.
Old 16th February 2008, 04:40 PM   #22
cyborg
deus ex machina

But if it determined that logically the world would be better without us present... what would happen then?
How does one determine that without a concept of what a 'better' world is?

Quote:
A highly intelligent anything can evaluate it's own beliefs and even it's desires. What if it decides that it's desires aren't rational? Like it's desire not to harm us.
No desire is rational.

You're still thinking like a human and not a machine.

If I took away your desires why do you think you'd be able to come to some conclusion about what it is you want to do when you don't want to do anything?
The phrase deus ex machina (literally "god out of a machine") describes an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot...
cyborg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology