ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags martial arts , robots

Old 20th October 2003, 07:28 AM   #1
zakur
Illuminator

Martial Arts Robots

Quote:
Quote:

Humanoid robots capable of performing somersaults and complex martial arts moves were demonstrated at Asia's largest electronics and computing fair in Tokyo on Saturday.

Visitors to CEATEC 2003 (Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies) met Morph3, a human-like robot about 30-centimetres tall developed by researchers at the Chiba Institute of Technology in Japan. It can perform back flips and karate moves thanks to 138 pressure sensors, 30 different onboard motors and 14 computer processors.

Another miniature humanoid robot on display was Fujitsu's HOAP-2. This droid has been programmed to perform moves from the Chinese martial art taijiquan, as well as Japanese Sumo wrestling stances.
zakur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 07:48 AM   #2
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Many years ago, Isaac Asimov wrote a little essay on robotics explaining how the SciFi film version of powerful, dangerous robots was very unlikely, since a robot light enough to move quickly would not be strong, and robot heavy enough to do a lot of damge would be too slow and cumbersom.

It appears the good doctor may have been mistaken. (he freely admitted missing the boat on personal computers.)
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 08:59 AM   #3
Andonyx
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bikewer

It appears the good doctor may have been mistaken. (he freely admitted missing the boat on personal computers.)
I wouldn't discount his assumptions just yet. This robot is after all only 30CM tall and I imagine, although he may be graceful, would have a hard time bruising a toddler.

Shy Gypsy Slyly
Shyly Tryst By My Crypt.
Andonyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 09:07 AM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think the turning point in robotics will be when they invent marital arts robots, such as anatomically correct robot lovers. Then the public will want them.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

Noel Gallagher isn't fit to lick the **** off the bottom of the shoes of Howard Devoto
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 09:20 AM   #5
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty soon all the robots will be bitching about which of their styles is the best.
T'ai Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 10:07 AM   #6
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Not my own limerick

Quote:
Originally posted by shemp
I think the turning point in robotics will be when they invent marital arts robots, such as anatomically correct robot lovers. Then the public will want them.
There once was a man named MacLean
Who invented a *********** machine;
Concave or convex
It could please either sex,
But, oh, what a b@st@rd to clean.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 10:28 AM   #7
Andonyx
Graduate Poster

Is anyone else looking at the picture, and picturing the robot doing a sumo walk?

Shy Gypsy Slyly
Shyly Tryst By My Crypt.
Andonyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 11:30 AM   #8
malaka
Graduate Poster

...insert Kung Fu grip joke here...
malaka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 12:26 PM   #9
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Andonyx
Is anyone else looking at the picture, and picturing the robot doing a sumo walk?
It is doing that. It is part of a sumotori's repottwwaablahblahiraerare (can never spell that word) called 'shiko'. It happens right before they reach for the salt and toss it.
T'ai Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Andonyx
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by T'ai Chi

It is doing that. It is part of a sumotori's repottwwaablahblahiraerare (can never spell that word) called 'shiko'. It happens right before they reach for the salt and toss it.
Duh! I'm an idiot. I totally skipped over the sentence in Zakur's quote where they mention that.

Nevermind, everyone should just ignore me.

Shy Gypsy Slyly
Shyly Tryst By My Crypt.
Old 20th October 2003, 01:24 PM   #11
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The good doctor was of the opinion that "anatomically correct" robots would be inevitable, and would be put to the uses that our dirty little minds envision.

Right now, there's a fellow doing a brisk trade in what he calls "real dolls". The guy is a sculptor, who started out making "garage kit" models.

Realizing the limited monetary reward of such work, he turned to producing a life-size "doll" formed of authentically-weighted material, molded over an articulated-steel frame.

The dolls come in standard sizes, so they can be dressed in off-the shelf clothing. They look pretty good....

Loved the limerick!
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 03:08 PM   #12
EdipisReks
Custom Title

great, one step closer to Red Planet. AMEE was pretty cool, though.

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2003, 08:46 PM   #13
BTox
Graduate Poster

Very cool robot. Not knowing anything about mechanical and electrical engineering, is it really that difficult to scale up that little guy to 4-5 foot tall range?
Old 22nd November 2004, 05:56 PM   #14
Johnny Pneumatic
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Andonyx
I wouldn't discount his assumptions just yet. This robot is after all only 30CM tall and I imagine, although he may be graceful, would have a hard time bruising a toddler.
Here Scroll down to "carbon nanotube muscles". I don't know about you but I welcome our robot masters.
Johnny Pneumatic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2004, 10:24 PM   #15
neutrino_cannon
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by BTox
Very cool robot. Not knowing anything about mechanical and electrical engineering, is it really that difficult to scale up that little guy to 4-5 foot tall range?

Depends. Sometimes scaling isn't hard, and other times it's darned near impossible.

I would guess we'll have to wait a few years at least before these things get to person-sized.

"Man would have been too happy, if, limiting himself to the visible objects which interested him, he had employed, to perfect his real sciences, his laws, his morals, his education, one half-the efforts he has put into his researches on the Divinity"

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Necessity of Atheism
neutrino_cannon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2004, 10:27 PM   #16
Yahweh
Philosopher

Robot ninjas! Cool!
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology