ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags birds , robots

Old 28th September 2011, 03:26 AM   #1
cyclonic
Muse

Smartbird.

Plenty of robots can fly -- but none can fly like a real bird. That is, until Markus Fischer and his team at Festo built SmartBird, a large, lightweight robot, modeled on a seagull, that flies by flapping its wings.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

All of these 9/11 conspiracy sites on the internet have museum-grade idiots stating what 'obviously' happens at velocities and temperatures that they are flat-out incapable of understanding. Not only are these people too stupid to understand the physics involved with what they are bloviating about -- they are too stupid to realize how stupid they really are.
cyclonic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 03:31 AM   #2
This is The End

Very impressive, and very hard to do...

...but I have a bit of a recollection that this was done at least once before, though I can't nail it down right now.
Old 28th September 2011, 03:36 AM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Amazing. Only 400gm. Thanks for posting this.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
kleinjahr
Critical Thinker

Pretty, a nice piece of work. There are other ornithopters out there,of course. some have been around for quite some time. Dig around and you may even find designs for making a rubber band powered version. This one, however, is the most realistic/ birdlike I've seen. Could be useful in certain applications, if it can carry sensors etc.
kleinjahr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 08:47 AM   #5
ginjawarrior
Thinker

Originally Posted by kleinjahr View Post
Could be useful in certain applications, if it can carry sensors etc.
first thing i thought was of a us drone style spy bird.

sticks out a bit tho when alll the other birds are attacking it
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
ginjawarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 08:50 AM   #6
icerat
Philosopher

first thing I thought was a new version of angrybird(s)

I saw this video a while ago. I love their airjelly too.

I AGREE
Old 28th September 2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Reivax
Critical Thinker

That's amazing, can only imagine the applications for such a creation in the near future. I was surprised at the amount of control the pilot had over it.
Reivax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Verde
Muse

Excellent!

If they could modify it to crap on your head while sitting on the beach, I would be totally convinced.

V.
Verde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 11:54 AM   #9
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Made my evening watching the two Festo vids, and how unassuming is Markus?! He is the perfect man to present this fantastic achievement.

I love the grace of both flyers but there was a real serenity with Airjelly, especially upon landing.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 04:33 PM   #10
INRM
Philosopher

I saw a hummingbird robot design in a youtube video once. I wonder how long before they'll make one that can spy on people
In closing, I want to remind everybody that no matter how I die, it was murder; and should I be accused of sexual impropriety, be framed for a criminal offense, or disappear mysteriously, you know who to blame
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2011, 06:32 AM   #11
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
I saw a hummingbird robot design in a youtube video once. I wonder how long before they'll make one that can spy on people

I already have a few set up around your house INRM. I spent the latter part of my Air Force career developing Micro-UAVs and weaponizing them. So don't make me angry!
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2011, 07:10 AM   #12
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
Why would they want to?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Why would they want to?
quarky's gymnastic neighbor.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2011, 07:28 AM   #14
steve s
Philosopher

I'm not sure what's so amazing. Ornithopters have been around for a long time. I've even built a couple of them out of tissue and basswood. They weren't as elegant looking as this one but the principle is the same. The gear mechanism looks pretty standard.

If this had an on-board computer that was flying it autonomously, then I'd be impressed. But there's clearly someone holding a RC radio.

Steve S
Old 29th September 2011, 07:41 AM   #15
The Shrike
Illuminator

From an ornithologists' perspective, I am impressed. If for no other purpose than to one day punk birders, their efforts have been totally worth it. Paint that thing up like a Kelp Gull and let it fly around Plum Island or Cape May. Hilarity will ensue.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology