ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 07:59 PM   #41
Venom
Illuminator

If you are able to formulate an adult response to a pressing current event on an adult platform, I'll treat you as an adult, simple as that. We finish school at 16 where I'm from (and much of the Old World), so as far as her getting **** for her opinion, I don't think it's inappropriate in that regard.

But I think much of it is more deflection from the same people who pick on Al Gore or some celebrity for instance instead of the climate scientists.

Again, I believe Greta's appearance has a lot to do with the condescension towards her.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 08:19 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Alfred Nobel's will said that the Peace Prize should go to...

If you can't interpret this in a way that would give Thunberg the prize, consider that even today climate change is a cause for many conflicts. Soon, climate refugees could increase drastically.

And there's even precedent for giving it to people who champion the climate.

Personally, I'd rather give it to a Chinese dissident again, just to piss off China.

But Thunberg isn't the worst candidate.
I like these sentiments.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:13 PM   #43
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
No! What has she done to be associated with the likes of Rigoberta Menchu, Le Duc Tho, Henry Kissinger, or Yasser Arafat? She's a sweet little girl who's trying to do right by society.
What about Al Gore?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:05 PM   #44
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I have not followed the Greta story one bit. No opinion. I also don't consider teenagers of 15 - 16 years of age "children".
Your a convict them as adults and send them to adult prison type person then?

Bit harsh.

I disagree with you.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:08 PM   #45
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I like these sentiments.
They could give her a cute miniature honorary juvenile one like they used to give kids at the Oscars years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Juvenile_Award
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:19 PM   #46
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
They could give her a cute miniature honorary juvenile one like they used to give kids at the Oscars years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Juvenile_Award
They could, if they wanted to be condescending prats.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:29 PM   #47
Ryokan

Your a convict them as adults and send them to adult prison type person then?

Bit harsh.

I disagree with you.
That's exactly what would happen in her native Sweden. At 15 you will be prosecuted and treated as as an adult if you commit a crime. Under 15 you can't be prosecuted for a crime at all.

A bit less arbitrary than the US system.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:35 PM   #48
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That's exactly what would happen in her native Sweden. At 15 you will be prosecuted and treated as as an adult if you commit a crime. Under 15 you can't be prosecuted for a crime at all.

A bit less arbitrary than the US system.
No it isn't

https://www.cairn.info/revue-interna...-page-511.htm#

Old 9th October 2019, 10:49 PM   #49
Ryokan

In principle it is. The age of criminal responsibility is 15. That's true even if there are mechanisms that could get you treated in a lighter way.

Thunberg can't commit a crime in Sweden and expect tonget away with it because she's a "child".
Old 9th October 2019, 11:05 PM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It is the same as here.

And you have it the wrong way round.

You could get treat the same. The odd one does here, but it has to be a pretty horrible crime.

Old 10th October 2019, 12:38 AM   #51
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

What about Al Gore?
Compared to Yasser? Al's a saint. Compared to Greta? Maybe you have a point.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:54 AM   #52
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, she would deserve it.

Also, it would trigger the snowflakes.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:03 AM   #53
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes, she would deserve it.

Also, it would trigger the snowflakes.
Doubt it

Their adoration of her can't get much higher

Old 10th October 2019, 03:34 AM   #54
Manger Douse
Thinker

Doubt it

Their adoration of her can't get much higher
I genuinely believe you think your not one of the triggered snowflakes
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:42 AM   #55
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
I genuinely believe you think your not one of the triggered snowflakes
I couldn't give a rats whether she gets a Nobel or not

The prize turned into a joke years ago.

Old 10th October 2019, 03:43 AM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

In fact if I was on the panel I would give it to her for the PR to revive it.

Old 10th October 2019, 03:44 AM   #57
Ryokan

Yes, all your posts in this thread shows us how little you care about the Nobel prize.

Tell us again, please.
Old 10th October 2019, 03:46 AM   #58
Manger Douse
Thinker

Classy thing would be to ignore her then
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:47 AM   #59
Manger Douse
Thinker

Yes, all your posts in this thread shows us how little you care about the Nobel prize.

Tell us again, please.
"How I'm not triggered and really don't care - an essay"
Old 10th October 2019, 03:50 AM   #60
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Classy thing would be to ignore her then
People keep telling me I shouldn't

Old 10th October 2019, 03:51 AM   #61
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Tell us again, please.
Which ones pricked your sarcasm generator?

Last edited by cullennz; 10th October 2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:01 AM   #62
Manger Douse
Thinker

People keep telling me I shouldn't
There's still time to show a little class
Old 10th October 2019, 04:13 AM   #63
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There's still time to show a little class
In what way have I not.

You might want to back up your accusations on here with some proof.

The worst I have said is I thought her UN speech was irritatingly overacted.

I am genuinely interested in your concern.

Old 10th October 2019, 04:13 AM   #64
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Give it to her - and if she hasn't saved the world in 40-60 years, you can confiscate it again.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:19 AM   #65
Manger Douse
Thinker

In what way have I not.

You might want to back up your accusations on here with some proof.

The worst I have said is I thought her UN speech was irritatingly overacted.

I am genuinely interested in your concern.
What claim? That despite protestations to the contrary, you and others here, are triggered by our Greta?
Old 10th October 2019, 04:27 AM   #66
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What claim? That despite protestations to the contrary, you and others here, are triggered by our Greta?
I guessed that was what is was.

From this

If not I apologise.

I'm still waiting for the posts I did that didn't show a little class.

Old 10th October 2019, 04:30 AM   #67
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Give it to her - and if she hasn't saved the world in 40-60 years, you can confiscate it again.
Or better yet wait for 60 years and if she has save the world then give it to her
Old 10th October 2019, 04:31 AM   #68
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

our Greta?........
Old 10th October 2019, 04:32 AM   #69
Manger Douse
Thinker

I guessed that was what is was.

From this

If not I apologise.

I'm still waiting for the posts I did that didn't show a little class.
Constantly banging on about something, in your own words you don't give a rat's arse about is where you're lacking class
Old 10th October 2019, 04:35 AM   #70
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 10th October 2019, 04:36 AM   #71
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Constantly banging on about something, in your own words you don't give a rat's arse about is where you're lacking class
The Nobel Peace prize?

Of course not

It turned into a joke years ago.

I tell you what

List Al Gore and Obama's contributions to peace.

Old 10th October 2019, 04:38 AM   #72
Manger Douse
Thinker

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
our Greta?........
It's a Northern thing - don't worry, I'm not trying to steal the subject of your threads and affections away from you
Old 10th October 2019, 04:39 AM   #73
Manger Douse
Thinker

The Nobel Peace prize?

Of course not

It turned into a joke years ago.

I tell you what

List Al Gore and Obama's contributions to peace.
Tell again how little you care - maybe try all caps this time
Old 10th October 2019, 04:47 AM   #74
Manger Douse
Thinker

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Continues: ... with your empty words yet I am one of the lucky ones

Strange that a fan such as yourself wouldn't have posted the full quote no?
Old 10th October 2019, 05:39 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningThis thread ended up as a continuation of this thread:http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=337968 please continue over there.
Posted By:Darat

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events