ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nobel prize , Social Issues humor

Old 10th October 2019, 06:26 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Who should win the Nobel Peace Prize this year?

Who might be nominated? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10th October 2019, 06:29 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Anita Doth.
Old 10th October 2019, 06:31 AM   #3
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Hong Kong activists
Old 10th October 2019, 06:36 AM   #4
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Who might be nominated? Inquiring minds want to know.
The Nobel Peace Prize is, in my opinion, extremely overrated. Rather than being about the impact on the people advocates are claiming to help, it’s about the media impact and what could draw the most publicity. While many nominations are absolutely deserved, they’re undermined by the committee trying to make some kind of political statement or garner favour.

For example, What did Greta Thunberg has been nominated for 2019. Her contributions to world peace? A few speeches to the UN and sailing to reduce her carbon footprint. She has the determination and success but her nomination, though well-intentioned, lacks substance. Point to any clear impact she has had on peace.
Old 10th October 2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Melania Trump

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Pompeo
Old 10th October 2019, 10:59 AM   #7
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

a noticeable absence
Old 10th October 2019, 11:07 AM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Six-year-old North West (son of Kanye and Kim) is certainly worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:43 AM   #9
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The chemistry prize went for development of a product that hit the market in 1991.

What was the most significant act of peace in the 80s with ramifications today and who is still alive to take credit? They should win.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:48 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The chemistry prize went for development of a product that hit the market in 1991.

What was the most significant act of peace in the 80s with ramifications today and who is still alive to take credit? They should win.
Makes sense to me, but the Peace Prize seems to be more of an aspirational thing.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:49 AM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

By withdrawing from Syria, Trump probably thought he should get it
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 01:00 PM   #12
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
By withdrawing from Syria, Trump probably thought he should get it
Obama agrees
Old 10th October 2019, 01:52 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Ellen DeGeneres for being brave enough to sit next to, and joke with her philosophical opposite Bush, knowing the immense triggering it would cause to the snowflake lefties and the inevitable ensuing, moral outrage leading to their usual group think and social media lynch mob antics.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:36 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Greta Thunberg, for bravely accompanying a prince of Monaco on a transatlantic voyage aboard his luxury sailboat. One can only imagine how much of her precious childhood was stolen away, above those briny deeps.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:44 PM   #15
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Shemp.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:56 PM   #16
Venom
Illuminator

I vote for John Barron.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:23 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Shemp.
Scrut, surely.
Old 10th October 2019, 03:37 PM   #18
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Pillory. A genius, and a martyr to conformity, sobriety, and spelling...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:41 PM   #19
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I nominate myself. You can pick the category.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:52 PM   #20
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

It's now just two hours until the prize winner is revealed. I know the media is focusing on Thunberg, but there are actually quite a few good candidates this year.

My hottest tip would be Ethiopian prime minister Abiy Ahmed and Eritrea's president Isaiad Afwerki for brokering peace after 20 years of conflict.

Another one, and my favourite, is Reporters Without Borders. We are living in a time where good journalism is becoming more and more important.

A fun one would be Hong Kong activists. It's always fun to poke China.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 12:29 AM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If it is Jacinda Ardern I think I will avoid all NZ media for 6 months and laugh a lot
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 01:34 AM   #22
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

If it was good enough for one of them then is it Goodenough for me.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 01:56 AM   #23
Ryokan

And now we have the answer.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia.

Good choice..
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:08 AM   #24
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

Good choice..
Sanity prevails

Old 11th October 2019, 02:54 AM   #25
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Good choice..
Yep.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:59 AM   #26
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Anita Doth.
You can't just snub Ray like that.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 03:54 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
You can't just snub Ray like that.
Would you say I was being too limited?
Old 11th October 2019, 04:06 AM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Whew! After their dubious choice for the Literature award a few days ago I was really afraid they'd go for for Trump or Kim.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 04:43 AM   #29
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Sanity prevails
greataphiles are in mourning
Old 11th October 2019, 05:02 AM   #30
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Whew! After their dubious choice for the Literature award a few days ago I was really afraid they'd go for for Trump or Kim.
Why was literature dubious? Were they not good writers?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 05:06 AM   #31
Ryokan

Why was literature dubious? Were they not good writers?
Peter Handke is a bit of a fan of Serb nationalism and what the Serbs did during the breakup of former Yugoslavia.

He held a speech at Slobodan Milosevic's funeral.

I'm sure you can see how that makes him a bit controversial.
Old 11th October 2019, 05:39 AM   #32
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Peter Handke is a bit of a fan of Serb nationalism and what the Serbs did during the breakup of former Yugoslavia.

Particularly since I recall the literary rags covering, several decades ago, the rumored discussions of them not giving Ezra Pound the Nobel, specifically because of his fascist sympathies and anti-Semitism. It was also said at the time that Hamsun was fortunate that he got his Nobel when they were still awarding for a single work and not a career, because his foolish Hitler-Hugging would've cost him his award (he got it in '20 or '21).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 06:09 AM   #33
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No I don't. That seems to be irrelevant to the award.
Old 11th October 2019, 06:19 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Do you know what the criteria for the award is? It's not just for writing goodly.
Old 11th October 2019, 06:37 AM   #35
Ryokan

I tend to agree with you.

However, if you can't see why it would make him a bit controversial, there is something wrong with you.
Old 11th October 2019, 06:38 AM   #36
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Do you know what the criteria for the award is? It's not just for writing goodly.
"in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction"

Is his literary work not that?
Old 11th October 2019, 06:42 AM   #37
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The Swedish Academy responisble for handing out the Nobel prize in literature has taken some knocks these past few years. We should all be glad they managed to agree to two honorees at all.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 06:44 AM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction"

Is his literary work not that?
I was about to suggest you take a full sixty seconds to read the Wikipedia article but then I realized whom I was talking to. Never mind!
Old 11th October 2019, 06:57 AM   #39
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Question

I was about to suggest you take a full sixty seconds to read the Wikipedia article but then I realized whom I was talking to. Never mind!
Where do you think I got the mission statement from?
Old 11th October 2019, 08:11 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Kim actually seems like a good candidate. He's a major player on the world peace scene. He's in a position to actually improve that scene dramatically. He even met with the "leader of the free world" recently to try to work out a deal. It's not his fault the deal fell through. There are probably few better candidates* for an "aspirational" Peace Prize. Recognize him now for the things he could do in the future, as an encouragement to do those things.

---
*The top candidates are probably:
- Donald Trump
- Vladimir Putin
- Kim Jong Un
- Whoever is in charge of China at the moment
Of these four, who do you think is most likely to have a constructive response to receiving an aspirational NPP? Trump? Putin? Or Kim?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events