ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags awards , Darwin Awards

Old 28th August 2019, 11:53 PM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Darwin Awards Thread

Do we have a Darwin Awards thread, or rather, a thread in which we can post stupid ways in which people have got themselves killed? If we have, I could not find it, and my apologies - and could a mod kindly move this post to it

If we haven't then here is my first contribution

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12262933
"An Isis fighter was killed by his own drone bomb when the hapless jihadi forgot to charge the device's batteries - sending it straight back to him when its power ran low."

We learned this idiot had wired up his drone with explosives but was killed when its batteries ran low and it flew home."

"With a weak signal for some reason it detonated over his head."

It almost makes me believe in karma... almost!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
mgidm86
Philosopher

Sounds too good to be true. Who could prove them wrong? They could write such stories all day. I know they are reputable but something smells. Could be me
Old 29th August 2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Whats an "ISIS fighter "?

Besides, it's only a Darwin award if the recipient hasn't procreated.. Do we know if that is the case?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 29th August 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Cain
Straussian

Blonde speed racer.
Old 29th August 2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Venom
Illuminator

I don't gain any self-satisfaction from seeing people get themselves killed or hurt, no matter how dumb.

I think it perpetuates the attitude that some people are just expendable and we shouldn't think twice about them. Dangerous mindset imo.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I'll have to part ways with you there..

After 70 years, I have no doubt that some people are expendable, and don't deserve to be thought about even once...

I don't hold this opinion for any other living creature I have encountered..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 29th August 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

After 70 years, I have no doubt that some people are expendable, and don't deserve to be thought about even once...

I don't doubt that the world could be better off without some people, but I don't like even looking down that slippery slope.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I don't disagree that we have to be careful about who decides who should stay and who should go..
Old 29th August 2019, 07:08 PM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I don't doubt that the world could be better off without some people, but I don't like even looking down that slippery slope.
I don't think the slope is all that slippery. I don't seek anyone's death, and don't generally rejoice in it, but when a terrorist bomber blows himself up? I don't think you slide very far down the slope if you find that amusing.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Satisfying, if not amusing..

The older I get, the more it takes to get me to laugh..
Old 29th August 2019, 08:44 PM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Besides, it's only a Darwin award if the recipient hasn't procreated.. Do we know if that is the case?
Not actually true. At least according to the old Darwin Awards website.

Oh look, it still exists:

https://darwinawards.com/

I used to post in the site's forum, but haven't been there in many years.

Fwiw, here is the rule in question:
Quote:
The existence of offspring, though potentially deleterious to the gene pool, does not disqualify a nominee.
The full criteria are:
Reproduction
Excellence
Self-Selection
Maturity
Veracity

(As above, the "Reproduction" criterion simply means that the individual can no longer reproduce in the future, but having children is not itself a disqualifying factor.)
Old 30th August 2019, 05:40 AM   #12
3point14
Pi

I don't disagree that we have to be careful about who decides who should stay and who should go..
That's the beauty of it. Nobody but the surplus idiot is making the decision.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-dies-g...88517-Aug2019/

A MAN HAS died after being gored by a rampant bull during a festival in central Spain, according to authorities.

The incident occurred during a bull run in the town of Cuellar, 155 kilometres north of Madrid.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:21 AM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm always quite happy to see a dead raccoon. I hate those things.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:30 AM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I have no such argument with raccoons, but must confess that I have actually shot porcupines. I have no doubt that at the great reckoning the porcupine god will skewer me with septic quills until I burn in eternal hell, but until then, they'd better not come around here.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:44 PM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, you and me both.... we have Grumpy Old Man Syndrome
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 02:18 PM   #17
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

I laughed at the yoga instructor who was performing "extreme" yoga on her highrise apartment balcony railing and ended up with 101 broken bones after over evaluating her abilities.

Not a Darwin award though, she lived. Not she she wishes she had though.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 01:34 PM   #18
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by smartcooky

Ah, you and me both.... we have Grumpy Old Man Syndrome
See if this potential Darwin worthy anecdote from my youth gets a chuckle -

Two of my older brother's more intelligent friends, let's call them Mutt & Jeff because I've forgotten their real names, were low on drug money and exploring their options when Mutt had an idea. Seems Mutt's aunt had a vacation cabin in The Sierra Nevada which apparently had some high-end stereo equipment in it. They would drive to the mountains and burglarize the cabin.

Once they arrived at the cabin, Mutt tells Jeff to wait in the car and be the look out. That was the last time Mutt was seen alive. Jeff searched for Mutt but gave up when night fell and the temperature dropped into the teens. Jeff abandoned Mutt, drove back to Sacramento and told Mutt's parents, who reported him missing to the authorities.

Mutt's body was found stuck in the chimney at his Aunt's cabin. Apparently he tried breaking into the cabin by going in that way. Head first. He froze to death.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 02:13 PM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why didn't he shout out?
Old 31st August 2019, 04:18 PM   #20
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why didn't he shout out?
Don't know. Perhaps he wound up with his mouth wedged against the bricks.

I tried to search for the newspaper article on it - would've been in the early 80s. Couldn't find it but i did find more than 1 burglar who met their demise in a chimney.

I underestimated the power of stupid.

Last edited by AJM8125; 31st August 2019 at 04:38 PM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:27 PM   #21
sphenisc
Illuminator

Not so much a chuckle... More a "Ho Ho Ho"
Old 31st August 2019, 06:25 PM   #22
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Old 31st August 2019, 07:15 PM   #23
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
See if this potential Darwin worthy anecdote from my youth gets a chuckle -

Two of my older brother's more intelligent friends, let's call them Mutt & Jeff because I've forgotten their real names, were low on drug money and exploring their options when Mutt had an idea. Seems Mutt's aunt had a vacation cabin in The Sierra Nevada which apparently had some high-end stereo equipment in it. They would drive to the mountains and burglarize the cabin.

Once they arrived at the cabin, Mutt tells Jeff to wait in the car and be the look out. That was the last time Mutt was seen alive. Jeff searched for Mutt but gave up when night fell and the temperature dropped into the teens. Jeff abandoned Mutt, drove back to Sacramento and told Mutt's parents, who reported him missing to the authorities.

Mutt's body was found stuck in the chimney at his Aunt's cabin. Apparently he tried breaking into the cabin by going in that way. Head first. He froze to death.
For more information and cases see this link.
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/n...-and-dying-302
Old 4th September 2019, 04:11 PM   #24
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Man, what a horrible way to die. And what an idiotic plan. Didn't even tell his buddy how he planned to enter the cabin.

Medieval sadists would be hard pressed to dream up a crueler way to kill someone and he did it to himself.

Last edited by Puppycow; 4th September 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 04:55 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the red suit with white fur trim should have been a clue.
Old 4th September 2019, 05:47 PM   #26
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Outstanding!!!
Old 5th September 2019, 12:30 AM   #27
Tolls
Illuminator

Definitely channeling Gremlins.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:51 AM   #28
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Man, what a horrible way to die. And what an idiotic plan. Didn't even tell his buddy how he planned to enter the cabin.

Medieval sadists would be hard pressed to dream up a crueler way to kill someone and he did it to himself.
Especially, if he was Claus-trophobic!

Did he die from the flue?

At the funeral, it was considered insensitive of the priest to say, "Ashes to ashes!"
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 01:43 AM   #29
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
https://www.thejournal.ie/man-dies-g...88517-Aug2019/

A MAN HAS died after being gored by a rampant bull during a festival in central Spain, according to authorities.

The incident occurred during a bull run in the town of Cuellar, 155 kilometres north of Madrid.
How does this qualify for a Darwin award? The man wasn't taking part in the bull run and was a spectator who was pushed in to the path of a bull.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 04:52 AM   #30
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th September 2019, 04:53 AM   #31
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
How does this qualify for a Darwin award? The man wasn't taking part in the bull run and was a spectator who was pushed in to the path of a bull.
Exactly: he was a spectator at a bull run.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 04:54 AM   #32
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49636789

Here's one from my parents' neck of the woods:

Sydenham shooting: Man 'unintentionally shot himself'
Old 11th September 2019, 07:30 AM   #33
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly: he was a spectator at a bull run.
No. Whether or not it's stupid to be a spectator at a bull run, it still fails the self-selection test because of the push.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:48 AM   #34
CORed
Philosopher

I'm not particularly fond of raccoons, but I can't say I really react seeing a dead one much one way or another.

I do, however, take considerable joy in killing blood sucking insects: mosquitoes, biting flies, no-see-ums, ticks (actually arachnids) or whatever. I suppose it's not really their fault that they have evolved to require blood to survive, but, if they come after mine, they are fair game.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:04 AM   #35
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. Whether or not it's stupid to be a spectator at a bull run, it still fails the self-selection test because of the push.
He self-selected by being there in the first place.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:16 AM   #36
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

You are getting confused and are painting yourself into a corner. Having a third party independently send you to your death whilst watching a spectacle (however much you disagree with said spectacle) is in no way self selection.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:42 AM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That isn't enough.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 09:24 AM   #38
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That isn't enough.
It's enough for me.
Old 11th September 2019, 09:30 AM   #39
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's enough for me.
You didn't make the Darwin Awards. They aren't your rules.
Old 11th September 2019, 09:49 AM   #40
Matthew Best
Philosopher

This fits the rules as far as I am concerned.

1. Out of gene pool - check.
2. Misapplication of judgment - check
3. Cause one's own demise - check
4. Capable of sound judgment - check
5. Event is true - check.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events