ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags awards , Darwin Awards

Old 11th September 2019, 09:54 AM   #41
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
This fits the rules as far as I am concerned.
You are not applying the standards as described by the Darwin Awards. If you want to claim that this guy wins a People that Matthew Best Thinks Are Gits for Dying, go ahead. But this is unambiguously not a Darwin Award candidate because of the push. And nobody cares about what you think the rules should be but aren't actually.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:16 AM   #42
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You are not applying the standards as described by the Darwin Awards.
Those are the rules of the Darwin Awards.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:22 AM   #43
Joe Random
Master Poster

This fits the rules as far as I am concerned.

1. Out of gene pool - check.
2. Misapplication of judgment - check
3. Cause one's own demise - check
4. Capable of sound judgment - check
5. Event is true - check.

Person A does something to person B, ergo person B was the cause of it? I hate the over-used phrase 'victim blaming' but in this case it seems to fit.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:25 AM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And where was the misapplication of judgement?

Does the guy who gets pushed in front of a moving subway car get dinged for a misapplication of judgement? Even though there must be thousands of people safely using that platform every day?

---

ETA: This feels more like the guy was wrong to be endorsing a bull run in the first place, so he deserves the blame for any misfortune that befalls him.

Last edited by theprestige; 11th September 2019 at 10:28 AM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 12:07 PM   #45
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Those are the rules of the Darwin Awards.
And you're applying them incorrectly.

BTW, that death also fails the uncommon excellence requirement.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:39 AM   #46
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I tried to warn Matthew Best but he wouldn't have it. This is such a glaring misinterpretation of the qualifiers that it needs to have it's own award.

As I hinted, and theprestige has suggested, this smacks more being anti-bull run.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:41 AM   #47
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Easy to cheat. The person only needs a connection between you and the rail. Then if they fall the rope will stop them.
Old 12th September 2019, 02:19 AM   #48
Matthew Best
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Who died?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:39 AM   #49
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And where was the misapplication of judgement?
Hello? He was a spectator at a bull run!
Old 12th September 2019, 04:16 AM   #50
jeremyp
Muse

Hello? He was a spectator at a bull run!
The actual rule is "The candidate must suffer an astounding lapse of judgment."

Quote:
It takes a phenomenal failure of common sense to earn a Darwin Award. Common idiocies like Russian Roulette, not wearing a lifejacket, sleeping with a smoldering cigarette: such are not sufficient to win this dubious distinction. OTOH playing Russian Roulette with land mines(ref) jumping on a whale carcass in a shark feeding frenzy(ref) or sneaking a cigarette while hanging off the back of a speeding bus(ref)...just might win you a Darwin Award.
Merely being one of the spectators at a bull run clearly doesn't make the cut, if playing Russian Roulette doesn't.
jeremyp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:29 AM   #51
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Merely being one of the spectators at a bull run clearly doesn't make the cut, if playing Russian Roulette doesn't.
In fact, even being one of the runners at a bull run won't cut it. What would it take? From the official website:
"If you are gored to death during the "Running of the Bulls" while riding naked in a shopping cart piloted by your drunken friend, you are a candidate for a Darwin Award."
Old 12th September 2019, 07:51 AM   #52
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Easy to cheat. The person only needs a connection between you and the rail. Then if they fall the rope will stop them.
I think the rope (which you can spot near the end of the video) was just held by someone walking alongside the rider. So, it wasn't as reckless as it might have seemed at first. But, still pretty impressive (and a little stupid, but not Darwin Award stupid).

Edit: if the person holding the rope somehow got killed during the stunt, that might qualify.

Last edited by jadebox; 12th September 2019 at 07:54 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:45 PM   #53
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I suppose, if taking a rational precaution is "cheating". Kinda like how tightrope walkers or trapeze artists who use nets are "cheating"?
Who died?
Old 12th September 2019, 08:53 PM   #54
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
I think the rope (which you can spot near the end of the video) was just held by someone walking alongside the rider. So, it wasn't as reckless as it might have seemed at first. But, still pretty impressive (and a little stupid, but not Darwin Award stupid).

Edit: if the person holding the rope somehow got killed during the stunt, that might qualify.
Thanks for pointing that out. I must have missed the rope when I saw the video, and didn't really consider that they were probably doing something like that. I did pause to wonder if they might be wearing a parachute, but a rope would probably be more practical. I'd want several strong men to be holding that rope, not just one guy.
Old 13th September 2019, 02:14 PM   #55
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Yeah, I suppose, if taking a rational precaution is "cheating". Kinda like how tightrope walkers or trapeze artists who use nets are "cheating"?

The difference is that the net is visible to everyone. In this case the rope is not easily visible.
Old 21st September 2019, 03:28 PM   #56
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Man drowns during underwater marriage proposal

Quote:
An American man has drowned while proposing to his girlfriend underwater on holiday in Tanzania.

Steven Weber and his girlfriend, Kenesha Antoine, were staying in a submerged cabin at the Manta Resort, off Pemba Island.

Footage shows Mr Weber diving under water to ask Ms Antoine to marry him.

In the video, Mr Weber presses a hand-written proposal note against the cabin window as Ms Antoine films from inside.

Ms Antoine, confirming Mr Weber's death in a Facebook post, said he "never emerged from those depths".
Ooops.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 04:59 PM   #57
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Is that a Darwin award, or just bad luck? Doesn't that kind of depend on the cause of death? Diving underwater isn't by itself remarkable, and I don't see why the proposal added significant risk. So what about it makes it award worthy?
Old 21st September 2019, 05:06 PM   #58
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Because I said so.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 06:24 PM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm always quite happy to see a dead raccoon. I hate those things.
Wow, wonder what your feelings were watching the Guardian of the Galaxies movies and the last two Avenger movies?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 06:29 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Idiiots and explosives always scare me;probably a lot more then the average person.
Having been a Redleg ...Artilleryman..in the US Army has a lot to do with that.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 21st September 2019 at 06:31 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 08:08 PM   #61
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Is that a Darwin award, or just bad luck? Doesn't that kind of depend on the cause of death? Diving underwater isn't by itself remarkable, and I don't see why the proposal added significant risk. So what about it makes it award worthy?
I would suggest that since diving under water is not, by itself, remarkable, and since the couple involved were already obviously a couple, renting an underwater vacation cabin and all, a person who manages to drown (presuming that he was not eaten by a shark or something) is worthy of a Darwin award for undertaking an unnecessarily dramatic romantic task for which he was, quite clearly, not suited.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:26 PM   #62
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
D
"An Isis fighter was killed by his own drone bomb when the hapless jihadi forgot to charge the device's batteries - sending it straight back to him when its power ran low."

We learned this idiot had wired up his drone with explosives but was killed when its batteries ran low and it flew home."

"With a weak signal for some reason it detonated over his head."
Don't know if that one's true but a similar incident did happen in Afghanistan in 2001. A JTAC attached to a group of US special forces and Afghan security forces inadvertently called down a 2000lb JDAM (a GPS-guided bomb) onto his own position when he changed his designator unit's batteries. The unit was programmed to reinitialise with its own GPS coordinates on a battery change. That does seem rather a significant design flaw in a unit supposed to be used for directing very large lumps of free falling high explosive.

Maybe the jihadi's GPS thingy reinitialised with it's own position too?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:38 PM   #63
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I would suggest that since diving under water is not, by itself, remarkable, and since the couple involved were already obviously a couple, renting an underwater vacation cabin and all, a person who manages to drown (presuming that he was not eaten by a shark or something) is worthy of a Darwin award for undertaking an unnecessarily dramatic romantic task for which he was, quite clearly, not suited.
Without a cause of death, it's not at all clear that he was unsuited to what he was doing.

I'll give you an example. Scuba diving is a fairly safe activity. There's some risk, but it's not that high. And it's certainly well within the ordinary risks that people willingly take in order to do something fun, and which the Darwin Awards specifically says doesn't qualify.

But if you get a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) while you're scuba diving, that can kill you, quick. There's almost nothing that can be done if you develop one under water (there's lots you can do and much less danger on dry land), and they can occur spontaneously. So if someone dies of a pneumothorax while scuba diving, that's not a Darwin award. That's just bad luck.

Now I'm not saying I think this guy died of a pneumothorax. I've got no idea how he died. But that's sort of the point: without that knowledge, there's no way we can evaluate his qualifications for the award.
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:02 PM   #64
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Don't know if that one's true but a similar incident did happen in Afghanistan in 2001. A JTAC attached to a group of US special forces and Afghan security forces inadvertently called down a 2000lb JDAM (a GPS-guided bomb) onto his own position when he changed his designator unit's batteries. The unit was programmed to reinitialise with its own GPS coordinates on a battery change. That does seem rather a significant design flaw in a unit supposed to be used for directing very large lumps of free falling high explosive.

Maybe the jihadi's GPS thingy reinitialised with it's own position too?
Modern commercial and retail drones literally "return to base" when their battery power drops below a certain level. With the really expensive models, it calculates how much battery power it needs to get back from where it is to where it was launched from, and when that level is reached, it ignores further RC inputs and heads for home.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:47 PM   #65
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

No. Whether or not it's stupid to be a spectator at a bull run, it still fails the self-selection test because of the push.

He self-selected by being there in the first place.

The same thing could be said of someone who was pushed into traffic on a city street.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 23rd September 2019 at 08:48 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:01 PM   #66
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Putting this here because I don't know where else to put it.

Boyfriends Sued Over Man’s Death From Silicone Genital Injections
Old 8th October 2019, 11:04 PM   #67
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Putting this here because I don't know where else to put it.

Boyfriends Sued Over Man’s Death From Silicone Genital Injections
Maybe in the thread in which we discussed the case?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:50 AM   #68
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Ah, missed that one. Last post was in May, so it's fallen well off the front page since then. My only thought was, my god, how stupid can you get? So I thought in terms of Darwin Award.

As to the mother's lawsuit, I don't know if she has a good case. Her son was a grown man, and free to make his own choices, however foolish they might be.

However, she might have grounds if what he did was illegal. Just as if his dom had given him a lethal dose of illegal drugs.

The article above says:
Quote:
The five men worked hard to make their bodies as large as possible, lifting weights for multiple hours a day and eating vast amounts. In pursuit of a sexual fetish for huge genitals, they would inject their penises and testicles with saline to temporarily enlarge them. They would later graduate to using silicone to permanently engorge their genitals. The latter procedure is both illegal and dangerous, and it proved lethal for Tank. He died of a pulmonary embolism induced by his injections in October 2018.

Dylan never notified Linda or Ben Chapman of Tank’s illness, hospitalization, or death, according to the complaint, and he presented himself as having legal authority over Tank’s remains, which were cremated. Tank spent a week in the hospital, part of it in a coma, but his mother would not learn of his fate until a week after his death, the complaint states.
Say for example, that a dom and a sub are engaging in consensual breath play. The dom accidentally kills the sub. Would that not be some kind of homicide? At least manslaughter. Certain extreme fetishes are inherently dangerous.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events