ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th September 2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Unfurling the Confederate battle flag

After the civil war war-weary southerners wanted nothing more to do with the Confederate battle emblem. It had brought nothing but chaos, starvation, and death. Misery everywhere.

Well The KKK unfurled it and then the trouble began. It's no longer an unwanted symbol of a tragic part of American history but a new symbol of racism.

The KKK passes out fo favor and what happens. The Confederate flag replaces the Swastika in Europe.

I was watching a video about Islam in Alabama of all places and lo and behold the Confederate flag is prominently displayed. It an anti-Jewish symbol to them.

The Confederate battle emblem was never meant to be a flag of a nation or even an idea. It was a signal that the Confederate soldiers were about to go into a battle.

A Scotsman designed it. The cross is similar to the flag of Scotland. I wonder what he would think if he knew that every skinhead, kkk member, Nazi, and now the Muslims flew his banner?

There is a post-civil war song that says the emblem should never be unfurled but it has been in a very negative way.
Old 29th September 2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Pope130
Illuminator

I spent part of the '90s in the South. Confederate Battle Flag stickers with "Heritage, Not Hate" were quite popular, even being seen on police cars. Some clever person came up with smaller stickers with "Of" printed on them that just covered up the ", Not".
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
I spent part of the '90s in the South. Confederate Battle Flag stickers with "Heritage, Not Hate" were quite popular, even being seen on police cars. Some clever person came up with smaller stickers with "Of" printed on them that just covered up the ", Not".
That was vandalism. In my opinion, the emblem shouldn't be there in the first place as it stirs up negative memories and emotions. However, like an evil Genie, the emblem is all over the place in a very hateful negative way.
Old 29th September 2019, 09:47 AM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It is on the same level as the Nazi swastika*. They are both symbols of hate, not heritage.

* I'm well aware of the Hindu swastika, with which I have no problem. It isn't difficult to differentiate between the Hindu and Nazi swastikas.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Venom
Illuminator

Loser's flag
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It is on the same level as the Nazi swastika*. They are both symbols of hate, not heritage.

* I'm well aware of the Hindu swastika, with which I have no problem. It isn't difficult to differentiate between the Hindu and Nazi swastikas.
It is a symbol of hate now but to began with it wasn't a symbol of anything. It merely made it known that the Confederate soldiers were either going to be fighting or were already. My premise is that it should never be unfurled for any reason even it if was humanitarian.

Whether Southeasterners like it or not the emblem signifies the south and it conjures up images of soldiers fighting to preserve slavery and secede from the Union.

It has been taken way beyond its original purpose. I considerer it very immoral.
Old 29th September 2019, 10:51 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The true offense is how ugly it is. Orangey-red is a terrible shade to begin with, pairing it with navy blue is even worse. St Andrew's crosses are tricky designwise, they work best when either the cross or its background are significantly lighter. A strong color on white is fine, or the reverse. But two strong hues is just messy. And the stars are just adding clutter.

If you're going to cause a stir with a symbol you should at least make it look good!
Old 29th September 2019, 10:54 AM   #8
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 29th September 2019, 11:02 AM   #9
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The true offense is how ugly it is. Orangey-red is a terrible shade to begin with, pairing it with navy blue is even worse. St Andrew's crosses are tricky designwise, they work best when either the cross or its background are significantly lighter. A strong color on white is fine, or the reverse. But two strong hues is just messy. And the stars are just adding clutter.

If you're going to cause a stir with a symbol you should at least make it look good!
You pretty much described the American flag. It has the exact same colors.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Darn it, I said not to unfurl the darn thing.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
A Scotsman designed it.
A Scotsman? May I ask who, why and when? The origin of the battle flag as related by wiki is even more ironic.
That flag was a blue St George's Cross (an upright or Latin cross) on a red field, with 15 white stars on the cross, representing the slaveholding states, and, on the red field, palmetto and crescent symbols. Miles received a variety of feedback on this design, including a critique from Charles Moise, a self-described "Southerner of Jewish persuasion." Moise liked the design but asked that "...the symbol of a particular religion not be made the symbol of the nation." Taking this into account, Miles changed his flag, removing the palmetto and crescent, and substituting a heraldic saltire
So the saltire was adopted on the initiative of a Jew who thought the original design was too Christian. Tell that to the KKK!
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
A Scotsman? May I ask who, why and when? The origin of the battle flag as related by wiki is even more ironic.
That flag was a blue St George's Cross (an upright or Latin cross) on a red field, with 15 white stars on the cross, representing the slaveholding states, and, on the red field, palmetto and crescent symbols. Miles received a variety of feedback on this design, including a critique from Charles Moise, a self-described "Southerner of Jewish persuasion." Moise liked the design but asked that "...the symbol of a particular religion not be made the symbol of the nation." Taking this into account, Miles changed his flag, removing the palmetto and crescent, and substituting a heraldic saltire
So the saltire was adopted on the initiative of a Jew who thought the original design was too Christian. Tell that to the KKK!
Well since I object to the use of the flag in all situations this revelation of yours merely adds fuel to my anti-Confederate battle emblem fire. Thanks for sharing.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:31 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You pretty much described the American flag. It has the exact same colors.
It certainly does not. If you can't tell the difference between those reds you have defective hue differentiation. The Confederate flag is distinctly orangish. The US flag's red is solely red. Not to mention the complete design difference: one's an X and the other is stripes with a rectangle.

I'm not saying the US flag is particularly attractive, but it's way better than the Confederate "battle flag" we're talking about.

As far as best flag designs go I like Barbados best. Attractive colors, simple but elegant design, easily distinguished from other flags, recognizable, and simple to draw. It has dignity yet an undertone of playfulness. An excellent flag on all counts.
Old 29th September 2019, 12:41 PM   #14
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with Cainkane here. Even if for some odd reason people want to honor the heritage of hate and loss with symbols of the disaster the Union defeated, the only reason to unfurl a battle flag is to announce that the battle is still on, which means (as it's pretty clear it often does mean) that one still promotes the bigoted principles of the Confederacy.

Last time that flag was flown correctly, my ancestors defeated it. It's for sore losers now.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 02:16 PM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Only since Charleston

It was basically nothing till the left got all offended by it after that
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 02:23 PM   #16
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Only since Charleston

It was basically nothing till the left got all offended by it after that
It certainly had no political or social meaning. You saw the flag and it meant a battle. Nothing more.
Old 29th September 2019, 02:26 PM   #17
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...So the saltire was adopted on the initiative of a Jew who thought the original design was too Christian. Tell that to the KKK!

So the flag was done as satire?

A Scotsman? May I ask who, why and when? The origin of the battle flag as related by...

Certainly NOT a true Scotsman!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Venom
Illuminator

Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 03:29 PM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Lol

Missed that
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 03:34 PM   #20
Ron Obvious
Scholar

I don't remember Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Dukes of Hazard ever being controversial when they were popular. I didn't watch that show myself, but this recent controversy of the Confederate flag seems awfully manufactured to me.
Ron Obvious is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 03:46 PM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
I don't remember Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Dukes of Hazard ever being controversial when they were popular. I didn't watch that show myself, but this recent controversy of the Confederate flag seems awfully manufactured to me.
The movie version of the Duke's of Hazzard was only in 2005 and no one said anything then either.

o2 years later when they made a TV movie

Old 29th September 2019, 03:57 PM   #22
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cl...2-confederate/
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 04:04 PM   #23
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

All I can say is, I have never personally met anyone who flies that flag - be it via a tattoo, a bumper sticker, a porch flag, or what have you - who doesn't also harbor racist sentiments. And I have a surprisingly high sample set to work with, having grown up in backwoods Pennsylvania.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 04:05 PM   #24
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 29th September 2019, 04:07 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
As we've seen in another thread, "Unproven" on Snopes is supposed to mean "definitely false".
Old 29th September 2019, 04:13 PM   #26
a_unique_person

Quote:
Our ruling
D’Souza tweeted out to nearly 200,000 followers a photograph of 21-year-old Hillary Clinton that appeared to feature a Confederate battle flag in the background. But as a look at the original images makes clear, the photograph has been manipulated to include the flag, and D’Souza’s accompanying comment in the tweet doesn’t indicate that he was aware of the fakery. (He later corrected the tweet.) We rate the claim Pants on Fire.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ag-nope-old-i/

And another fake, courtesy of Dinesh D'Souza
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 04:15 PM   #27
a_unique_person

And a fake Obama flag.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...acy-of-hoaxes/
Old 29th September 2019, 04:39 PM   #28
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
All I can say is, I have never personally met anyone who flies that flag - be it via a tattoo, a bumper sticker, a porch flag, or what have you - who doesn't also harbor racist sentiments. And I have a surprisingly high sample set to work with, having grown up in backwoods Pennsylvania.
Ditto here in New England. It's largely flown on pickup trucks by young men who seem to like to fancy themselves as conservative or libertarian rebels. It's a safe bet that they have no Confederate connection. If they're not racist, it's likely that they're just too stupid and thoughtless to understand what they claim to represent, thinking of their rebellion as nebulous anti-establishment angst.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 04:47 PM   #29
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Absolutely. If the flag has been stolen by deplorables, it's time to steal it back.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 04:47 PM   #30
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ag-nope-old-i/

And another fake, courtesy of Convicted Felon Dinesh D'Souza
Fixed that for you.
Old 29th September 2019, 04:55 PM   #31
ArchSas
Thinker

I grew up in the 1990s and 2000s, and for as long as I can remember, it's been widely recognized as a symbol of racism. In fact one time, when I was around 13 (so 2003 or 2004, as far as I can guess based on my location of this memory), I even called out a friend when he bought a confederate flag T-shirt. I was good friends with this person, but, because he didn't value education at all, he constantly said and did dumb things. In fact, buying shirts with symbolism he didn't understand was something he did all the time (although usually music related). When I saw him wearing the shirt, I asked if he knew it was usually used for racism, but he was adamant it was just a "rebel" flag that meant he was a rebel.

Now, I grew up in neighborhoods that were poor and very diverse ethnically. My friend grew up slightly more well off, lived in a lower-middle class area that was mostly white, and came from a family with strong redneck leanings (including casual racism). The difference in our perception of the flag probably had a lot to do with the difference in our communities; after all, if something isn't used as a symbol of hate against someone, they don't typically have to care about it as much. Similarly, when certain things are normalized, you tend not to notice places where controversy might come up. I'm sure it also had a lot to do with our knowledge of history. As I said, my friend saw basically no value in education, but I was always regarded as the "smart kid" that frequently read and watched documentaries. Among those were pieces on PBS about the civil rights movement. I'm entirely sure my friend really had no idea about the history of the flag, whereas I'd seen it used directly to support racism in historical contexts.

Last edited by ArchSas; 29th September 2019 at 05:04 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 05:25 PM   #32
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The movie version of the Duke's of Hazzard was only in 2005 and no one said anything then either.

o2 years later when they made a TV movie
Yeah, well for a while the attitude was 'let the rednecks have their loser flag' combined with some efforts to at least get the thing off the state flags, but then certain events led to people thinking that this crap of pretending it wasn't a problem wasn't going to work.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 05:46 PM   #33
crescent
Illuminator

Anybody can make a button for the cost of some printer ink and about $3.00 worth of supplies from Hobby Lobby.

But hey, you've got your thing. Just keep on believin'.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 06:03 PM   #34
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Even where I live, we had a US Marine veteran with a Confederate Flag Tat who loved Trump and wouldn't shut up about it. He is no longer with us (literally and figuratively)...I mean that. "Went fishing" was the police report.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 10:16 PM   #35
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Even where I live, we had a US Marine veteran with a Confederate Flag Tat who loved Trump and wouldn't shut up about it. He is no longer with us (literally and figuratively)...I mean that. "Went fishing" was the police report.
Great. Corrupt cops.

Old 29th September 2019, 11:06 PM   #36
Mumbles
Philosopher

Well, that could be. Certainly, I liked Dukes of Hazzard as a little kid - but today? Eehhh...best to see the General Lee as an anachronism at best, one that likely wouldn't make it onto tv today.

(I know I've never gone near anything related to Lynyrd whoever, but we weren't listening to rock music of any kind regardless when I was growing up - and by the time I did start listening to it, the Confederate battle flag was why I gave them a hard pass).
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 03:52 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

After the civil war war-weary southerners wanted nothing more to do with the Confederate battle emblem. It had brought nothing but chaos, starvation, and death. Misery everywhere.

Well The KKK unfurled it and then the trouble began. It's no longer an unwanted symbol of a tragic part of American history but a new symbol of racism.
Yea because basing a nation on the supremacy of the white race and subjugation of the black race was never the real problem. That is good old fashion heritage.

Quote:
The Confederate battle emblem was never meant to be a flag of a nation or even an idea. It was a signal that the Confederate soldiers were about to go into a battle.
And was of course the upper corner of the official confederate flag. Surrounded by a sea of white representing the supremacy of the white race.
Quote:
There is a post-civil war song that says the emblem should never be unfurled but it has been in a very negative way.
As opposed to during when it was about white supremacy.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 03:59 AM   #38
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well, that could be. Certainly, I liked Dukes of Hazzard as a little kid - but today? Eehhh...best to see the General Lee as an anachronism at best, one that likely wouldn't make it onto tv today.

(I know I've never gone near anything related to Lynyrd whoever, but we weren't listening to rock music of any kind regardless when I was growing up - and by the time I did start listening to it, the Confederate battle flag was why I gave them a hard pass).
Good band musically wise if you take out the sudden hate tbf

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by cullennz; 30th September 2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 30th September 2019, 04:49 AM   #39
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Anybody can make a button for the cost of some printer ink and about $3.00 worth of supplies from Hobby Lobby.

But hey, you've got your thing. Just keep on believin'.
awwwww
Old 30th September 2019, 04:54 AM   #40
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
So the flag was done as satire?

Certainly NOT a true Scotsman!!
Perhaps it was a True Scotsman. There's no rule about True Scotsmen not designing racist flags. I'm sure they've done that, or worse, in the past.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events