ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:44 AM   #81
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANd the Klan swiped another one of it's symbols, the burning cross, from the Scottish tradition of using a Burning Cross to indicate danger and summon the Clan member to the defense of their Clan.
Like the Swastika it's another symbol corrupted beyond salvage. Ever since the early Sixties, the Scottish Games in the US stopped the custom of burning a cross the final evening of the games because it had become too corrupted and would be misunderstood.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:44 AM   #82
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANd the Klan swiped another one of it's symbols, the burning cross, from the Scottish tradition of using a Burning Cross to indicate danger and summon the Clan member to the defense of their Clan.
Like the Swastika it's another symbol corrupted beyond salvage. Ever since the early Sixties, the Scottish Games in the US stopped the custom of burning a cross the final evening of the games because it had become too corrupted and would be misunderstood.
But one could burn a cross and wave a Confederate battle flag and be technically correct. 🙃
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 06:27 AM   #83
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Klan didn't start burning the cross until the showing "Birth of a Nation".
Old 7th October 2019, 02:04 AM   #84
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Last night, I watched Smokey and the Bandit for the first time in years. Bandit's Trans-Am had a confederate flag on the front. No one minded.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 03:14 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Last night, I watched Smokey and the Bandit for the first time in years. Bandit's Trans-Am had a confederate flag on the front. No one minded.
No one felt in a position to complain. Saying no one minded is rather like how people talk about how black people loved jim crow because they were not complaining to them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 05:22 AM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wow. You just solved racism.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 05:26 AM   #87
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Wow. You just solved racism.
And sexism, I mean in the old days secretaries knew to take a pat on the butt for the compliment it was, now you hear all about sexual harassment.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 05:44 AM   #88
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

That's the Georgia state flag, and the veneration of the confederacy is something that plenty of people did "mind" and was deliberate.
Old 7th October 2019, 05:49 AM   #89
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again as I have to point out everytime we have the discussion and the Confederate Flag defenders role out the exact same verbatim apologetics; displaying of the Confederate Flag wasn't all that popular after the Civil War, even with major Confederate leaders speaking out against displaying it. From that point until late 1940s or so displays of the Confederate Flag (setting aside all the "Which flag is actually the Confederate Flag?" side debates) was sporadic at best.

The current displaying of the Confederate Flag in its current context specifically came back into vogue in the Civil Rights era as a way to intimidate African Americans.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:12 AM   #90
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It just needs a little tweaking...
Old 7th October 2019, 06:17 AM   #91
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again as I have to point out everytime we have the discussion and the Confederate Flag defenders role out the exact same verbatim apologetics; displaying of the Confederate Flag wasn't all that popular after the Civil War, even with major Confederate leaders speaking out against displaying it. From that point until late 1940s or so displays of the Confederate Flag (setting aside all the "Which flag is actually the Confederate Flag?" side debates) was sporadic at best.

The current displaying of the Confederate Flag in its current context specifically came back into vogue in the Civil Rights era as a way to intimidate African Americans.
Doesn't the KKK deserve some credit for bringing the confederate flag back into vogue?
Old 7th October 2019, 06:22 AM   #92
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Doesn't the KKK deserve some credit for bringing the confederate flag back into vogue?
Some. But honestly the Dixiecrats were the single biggest offender, running on a explicitly and non-apologetically racist platform and using the flag as their primary campaign image.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:25 AM   #93
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It just needs a little tweaking...
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...pictureid=9934
Way too jazzy. I can't see that without imagining it spinning around with sparklers on the ends.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events