ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

New high school designed with places to hide from mass shooters

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
This Michigan High School Is Being Built To Deter Active Shooters | NBC Nightly News

The school in Fruitport, Michigan is specifically designed for safety -- with short lockers in a common area as opposed to lockers in the hallways, so that teachers can see 900 students at once. The security features also include curved walls and a special locking system.
They say all new schools in America are probably going to be designed with mass shootings in mind. The video includes an interview with the architect doing a walk-through with a reporter, showing the features of the new school.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

There's a MUCH easier and cheaper way to deal with school shootings: Don't have them in the first place. But that would require common sense and the courage to make one little change. So it's much better to spend billions preparing for the awful results of not doing that.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

What a sad commentary on American society.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Then there's things like this:
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
But, but but...... Americans have “freedoms” that the rest of the world does not!
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
For a bullet to be crushed to the extent shown on the advert would require some very heavy hitting power. Probably enough to throw the poor kid wearing the shield dangerously across the room if it hit his backpack. Like hitting them with a big sledgehammer. Good outcome!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
But, but but...... Americans have “freedoms” that the rest of the world does not!
Freedom to kill themselves in droves rather than having invading terrorists do it. From outside, this totally defines "Pyrrhic victory".
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
For a bullet to be crushed to the extent shown on the advert would require some very heavy hitting power. Probably enough to throw the poor kid wearing the shield dangerously across the room if it hit his backpack. Like hitting them with a big sledgehammer. Good outcome!
Well, probably better than the alternative, but my thought was: backpacks are already heavy as it is, when they're full of books. This adds even more weight to it, for an event that will probably never happen and even if it does happen, the likelihood that that bulletproof backpack insert will actually be what makes a difference between getting shot or not seems kinda low in any case. But you have to carry it every day since you never know when it will happen.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:23 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

No.

Here is a demonstration video showing a shot to a guy wearing a ballistic vest. He spreads his feet a bit as a kind of brace but you can see that he wouldn't have been knocked down and certainly not thrown even if he hadn't braced.

There are more demonstration videos like this on the web.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:27 PM   #10
mgidm86
Philosopher

No. Bullets do not throw people across rooms except in Hollywood movies. I'm sure there are plenty of threads here about this.

Yes this talk of schools is very sad. Ridiculous.
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:09 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Ignoring for a minute how stupid it is the America is being forced to do this.

This is obviously just new ones.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make all schools have metal detectors at the entrances?

Quite a few rougher one do already don't they?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:19 PM   #12
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

If the kid was hit by an RPG, maybe. I doubt ballistic vest would help him much in that case. Third Newton's law is a hard master.

McHrozni
Old 3rd October 2019, 01:51 AM   #13
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, unless they're getting on a plane.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:22 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nonsense, bullets just don't have the momentum for that kind of effect.

Of course it also assumes pistol caliber assaults instead of the more common rifle caliber assault it would likely be of little to no use for.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:32 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah it's the wrong solution to this problem.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:36 AM   #16
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah it's the wrong solution to this problem.
The correct solution being to ensure that all students and teachers are armed to the teeth so as to ensure that there are plenty of good guys with guns to counter the bad guy
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:57 AM   #17
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
No.

Here is a demonstration video showing a shot to a guy wearing a ballistic vest. He spreads his feet a bit as a kind of brace but you can see that he wouldn't have been knocked down and certainly not thrown even if he hadn't braced.

There are more demonstration videos like this on the web.
But an 8-year-old girl will have about 1/3 the mass of an adult man such as the one in the video. And in an active shoot situation in a school, the average 8-year-old girl will not have the presence of mind and the time necessary to brace in that manner. In addition, the guy was shot in the stomach and was prepared; the girl would be shot in the back (if she were wearing it on her back) and unprepared. While I would not say “thrown across the room” I would say knocked off her feet. And she’d likely have the wind knocked out of her (depending on the precise location of the hit).

Or to imagine it another way, if the pistol were strapped the back of a 25kg girl back with the barrel pointing away from her, and if the firearm were triggered remotely and with no warning, then what would happen. Again, while I would not say “thrown across the room” I would say knocked off her feet.

But I’m opened minded enough to listen to alternative explanations and change my mind if the evidence indicates I am wrong.1

_______
(1) Man, oh Manishewitz . One sure gets a wide range of responses when one adds that line to posts on political boards very unlike this this forum.
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:00 AM   #18
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Whoever buys this doesn't love their kid enough. IIIA isn't rifle proof, and we know that little jimmy is bringing the big guns when he does on his murder-suicide spree.

Good parents spring for Kevlar plates.
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
<...>

I see you're one of those librul snowflakes who doesn't think little Billy deserves the right to return fire. Send him to school in something truly empowering :

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:41 AM   #20
ahhell
Master Poster

It is, much like our reaction to 9/11, we tragically over react to negligible risks while ignoring real risks.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:08 AM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
But an 8-year-old girl will have about 1/3 the mass of an adult man such as the one in the video. And in an active shoot situation in a school, the average 8-year-old girl will not have the presence of mind and the time necessary to brace in that manner. In addition, the guy was shot in the stomach and was prepared; the girl would be shot in the back (if she were wearing it on her back) and unprepared. While I would not say “thrown across the room” I would say knocked off her feet. And she’d likely have the wind knocked out of her (depending on the precise location of the hit).

Or to imagine it another way, if the pistol were strapped the back of a 25kg girl back with the barrel pointing away from her, and if the firearm were triggered remotely and with no warning, then what would happen. Again, while I would not say “thrown across the room” I would say knocked off her feet.

But I’m opened minded enough to listen to alternative explanations and change my mind if the evidence indicates I am wrong.1

_______
(1) Man, oh Manishewitz . One sure gets a wide range of responses when one adds that line to posts on political boards very unlike this this forum.
We can see from the video that he would not have fallen even if he hadn't spread his feet a bit. There appears to be no recoil of the upper body at all.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:19 AM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Another demonstration with a vest supported by thin strips of wood. The recoil is surprisingly minimal.

Go to 7:50 for this demonstration.
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:13 PM   #23
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
I see you're one of those librul snowflakes who doesn't think little Billy deserves the right to return fire. Send him to school in something truly empowering :

And if he were in that, he would have the advantage of being unseen by the shooter.
(Obscure Battletech joke)
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:28 PM   #24
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What you need is more personal body armour.

I suggest something like this kids could wear.

They could paint them their favourite sports team colours

Subtle, yet exude safety

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:29 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There's a MUCH easier and cheaper way to deal with school shootings: Don't have them in the first place. But that would require common sense and the courage to make one little change. So it's much better to spend billions preparing for the awful results of not doing that.
And what is that little change?
If you are talking banning or severe restrictions amounting to a ban on gun ownership, that is simply not going to happen.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:30 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It is, much like our reaction to 9/11, we tragically over react to negligible risks while ignoring real risks.
By that reasoning, we overeacted to Pearl Harbor as well...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:32 PM   #27
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you are talking banning or severe restrictions amounting to a ban on gun ownership, that is simply not going to happen.
If you can't stop the people owning massacre friendly guns, the only option left is doing the best you can to stop any guns getting onto school property.

Airport screening to get into the departure area before boarding is extremely good at this

Copy it.

Old 3rd October 2019, 12:40 PM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well yes locking up US citizens en mass was an over reaction.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:41 PM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yep political statements like that is clearly what the second amendment is for, we have a constitutional right to mass murder in the name of politics.
Old 3rd October 2019, 01:00 PM   #30
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Just goes to show that one society's normality, can look to another society like outright insanity.

Last edited by p0lka; 3rd October 2019 at 01:06 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 01:45 PM   #31
ahhell
Master Poster

We did, we locked up a bunch of Americans because they were related to folks who attacked us. Other than that, we only attacked the countries that either attacked us or declared war on us. 9/11, we attacked two countries that didn't actually attack us, congress passed a law that essentially gave the president authorization of unending war and the Patriot act.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 02:47 PM   #32
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

They say all new schools in America are probably going to be designed with mass shootings in mind. The video includes an interview with the architect doing a walk-through with a reporter, showing the features of the new school.

That is truly brilliant. (see my sig)
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:14 PM   #33
Senex
Philosopher

What is wrong with you people?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:27 PM   #34
Ranb
Philosopher

Other than the locking system I don't see anything new in that school design. The few other design features don't seem to be unique to school designs intended to deter mass shooters.

Ranb
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:49 PM   #35
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

_______
You can imagine it however you like but the answer is still no, a bullet will not fling even a little girl across the room. Not even an infant. I've shot targets that weigh much less and they don't move much, if at all, when shot.

Try this if you can do so safely - take an 80 pound bag of cement, stand it upright, then wrap it in bullet proof armor and shoot it with the biggest caliber gun you can find. The bag is going nowhere.

Your scenario wouldn't knock her "off her feet" either, which is also moving the goalposts.

Possibly the most overused movie trope ever.

Last edited by mgidm86; 3rd October 2019 at 04:50 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:01 PM   #36
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We are seeing mass shooters with ballistic vests. I don't know if this is increasing or not. Anyway, an armed school security officer is probably trained to aim at "center mass" as is usual. Is this non-productive if the attacker is wearing a vest? Are officers trained to do things differently if they believe the attacker is protected by a ballistic vest?
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:32 PM   #37
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Other soft targets, such as office buildings, are being designed and built with strength and security in mind. Why not build our schools (or churches, shopping malls, restaurants etc for that matter) to be resistant to this form of terrorism?

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:30 PM   #38
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Whoever buys this doesn't love their kid enough. IIIA isn't rifle proof, and we know that little jimmy is bringing the big guns when he does on his murder-suicide spree.

So it wouldn't stop an AR-15 bullet?
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:43 PM   #39
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
If you can't stop the people owning massacre friendly guns, the only option left is doing the best you can to stop any guns getting onto school property.

Airport screening to get into the departure area before boarding is extremely good at this

Copy it.
Cost prohibitive. Essentially you would need a TSA-style screening area, with all that equipment. (Also, it seems that TSA-style screening is not as effective as you might imagine).

ETA: There are 503 airports in the US that serve commercial flights (as well as many more that don't serve commercial flights, and hence probably don't require TSA security screening). But there are almost 100,000 schools. TSA spends a budget of over $5 billion annually to provide security at those 503 airports that serve commercial flights. How much would it cost to reproduce that at every school?

Last edited by Puppycow; 3rd October 2019 at 08:54 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:44 PM   #40
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Move to Australia where there has never been a mass shooting at a school. And probably a few citizens of other countries can say the same thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events