ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:32 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Birthday growler surprise son-in-law shot dead

Dad, 37, who flew from Norway to Florida and was shot dead by his father-in-law when he jumped out of the bushes to surprise him on his birthday

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A Florida man shot and killed his son-in-law after the victim jumped out of the bushes to surprise him for his birthday.

Richard Dennis opened fire on Christopher Bergan, 37, outside his house in Pensacola on Tuesday night in what police described as a 'horrible accident'. Dennis will not face charges for the incident, Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson announced at a Thursday news conference.

Johnson said Bergan, who is married to Dennis' daughter and has a son, and lives in Norway, arrived at a Florida airport on Tuesday evening and went straight to his father-in-law's home.

Dennis, who was unaware of Bergan's arrival, heard someone banging on his backdoor at around 11.30pm. He turned on the porch light before Bergan leapt 'out of the shadows', making a growling sound as he emerged from a bush.

Startled by the ambush, Dennis fired one shot that struck Bergan in the chest, killing him instantly...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...prise-him.html
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:35 PM   #2
p0lka
Graduate Poster

It's the american way.

Visitors to the place should receive advice on how not to be killed, just like they do for other dangerous places.

Last edited by p0lka; 3rd October 2019 at 05:41 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Freedom isn't free! Martyr to patriotism LOLZ!
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:44 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

America might be the only country where it's dangerous to pop out of a bush and growl.
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:53 PM   #5
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
America might be the only country where it's dangerous to pop out of a bush and growl.
Maybe not, but it's probably on a short list of places it's quite so likely to be deadly.

The same act would be vanishingly unlikely to result in shooting death in say Japan or the UK.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:24 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Bushpop Growl is just bad move all around this country. Birthday guy could have had a fatal heart attack. A Growling Bushpopper could get shot as has happened. The neighbor could think the Bushpop Growler is a Bigfoot and bang there goes another one.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:23 PM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The sheriff said no charges were warranted in the shooting, adding that it 'never should have happened'.

'Anybody who is religious out there, you need to pray for this family,' Johnson said.
Yep. Prayers are what's needed.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:09 PM   #8
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
It's the american way.

Visitors to the place should receive advice on how not to be killed, just like they do for other dangerous places.

The story said the man had lived in Florida. Maybe he just didn't pay attention.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:25 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This might turn out to be the father-in-law shooting his son-in-law and the rest is made up to cover up a murder.

Just sayin' it's possible.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:51 PM   #10
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
...and Thoughts. Don't forget Thoughts.

Soooo much dark comedy here. Yosemite Sam is not being charged with anything. Nada. Zip. Zero. Cuz murder is fine tootin' in the Sunshine State.

We also have another fun Mistake of Fact scenario. 'Honest, Ossifer, I jus assumed he was one of them thar tweakers. Didn't bother to find out who he was or anythang, tho. Dark out, ya see. I jus a-come out gunz a blazin! Cuz I'se a tuff guy like dat.'

I wonder what this guy's ratio of stopping imminent home invasions versus killing family members is? Bet I could guess.

Of course, when someone is knocking on your door, you of course answer with a loaded gun in hand. Why on earth wouldn't you? It's not like you would call police if you suspect a dangerous prowler or attacker. No siree bob. You grabs you gun and go exact some justice on people outside your home.

Dead zero pity here for the killer. He got precisely what he asked for. He got to kill someone. That's what you buy handguns for, right? Those puppies aren't cheap. Need a notch or two in the grip to justify the expense and whatnot.
Old 4th October 2019, 07:51 AM   #11
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

https://eu.pnj.com/story/news/crime/...ty/3846781002/

Quote:
Dennis will not be charged in the incident, said Assistant State Attorney Amber Rowland.

"I’m not going to second guess Mr. Dennis for what he did. Here he is, he had just had a confrontation at the front of his house," said the sheriff. "Couple hours later, someone is banging on his back door, and it’s a fenced yard.

"And then someone jumps out of the bushes,” Johnson said. "You can’t really say anything against Mr. Dennis for doing what he did."
What? No! That's not normal! Just because you had a "confrontation" earlier in the day it shouldn't mean you can shoot whoever knocks on your door next!

This is just insane.

Quote:
Johnson urged people to pray for Dennis and his family.
Gee, thanks. That will help a lot.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This might turn out to be the father-in-law shooting his son-in-law and the rest is made up to cover up a murder.

Just sayin' it's possible.
Yep.
Old 4th October 2019, 08:04 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I wonder what this guy's ratio of stopping imminent home invasions versus killing family members is?
My calculator returns "error".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 12:32 PM   #14
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Maybe not, but it's probably on a short list of places it's quite so likely to be deadly.

The same act would be vanishingly unlikely to result in shooting death in say Japan or the UK.

You wouldn't get shot, but if you hide in a bush in Australia, there's a good chance that it contains at least three different animals that will kill you before you even have a chance to jump out.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 12:59 PM   #15
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
...and Thoughts. Don't forget Thoughts.

I can't help but feel that with more thoughts there would be less need for prayers.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 01:58 PM   #16
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
https://eu.pnj.com/story/news/crime/...ty/3846781002/

What? No! That's not normal! Just because you had a "confrontation" earlier in the day it shouldn't mean you can shoot whoever knocks on your door next!

This is just insane.

Gee, thanks. That will help a lot.
I think I'd rather pray that the people of that county elect a competent sheriff. Because they sure don't have one now.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 04:27 PM   #17
Venom
Illuminator

The American way of solving problems. Ingrained in the American psyche for decades. This is the result.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:43 AM   #18
angrysoba
Philosophile

The story starts A Florida man...

How predictable is the outcome?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:06 PM   #19
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I am really disappointed that none of the Brits here have made a joke about the word "growler".
Old 5th October 2019, 02:55 PM   #20
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
You wouldn't get shot, but if you hide in a bush in Australia, there's a good chance that it contains at least three different animals that will kill you before you even have a chance to jump out.
Three? Only three?

Oh, you're talking about a suburban backyard...

Never mind, my mistake.
Old 5th October 2019, 09:06 PM   #21
This is The End

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The story starts A Florida man...

How predictable is the outcome?

A Florida man won the Nobel Prize for.... psssshh, nevermind, I can't finish it.
Old 5th October 2019, 11:54 PM   #22
Cain
Straussian

This terrible tragedy could have been averted if the son-in-law had a gun.
Old 6th October 2019, 10:44 AM   #23
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"But your honour, I thought it was one of those foreigners Trump warned us about! Like the Gambian Growler that lurks in shrubbery and eats Christian virgins!".

eta Damnit, now bluesjnr is gonna call me out, isn't he.
Old 6th October 2019, 11:36 AM   #24
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I am really disappointed that none of the Brits here have made a joke about the word "growler".
Nah, I don't think any joke can possibly surpass the lengths the police are going to to justify this. Even in some Third World hellhole, you'd still need to be personal friends with El Presidente to get such an overt free pass.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 02:51 PM   #25
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This is from the local news, the Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal.

Quote:
Earlier that evening, [shooter Richard] Dennis and another one of his relatives got into an argument after the relative came by the home and banged on the front door, according to police. When [son-in-law Christopher] Bergan later arrived at the home to surprise Dennis, he banged on the back door without announcing himself. But Dennis thought Bergan was the relative with whom he had previously argued and opened his door while armed. Link
When Christopher Bergan jumped out of the bushes, "Mr. Dennis fired one round from a .380 semi-automatic firearm and struck Bergan in the heart, instantly killing him." Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson told a press conference:
Quote:
"Im not going to second guess Mr. Dennis for what he did. Here he is, he had just had a confrontation at the front of his house. Couple hours later, someone is banging on his back door, and its a fenced yard. And then someone jumps out of the bushes, Sheriff Johnson said. "You cant really say anything against Mr. Dennis for doing what he did."
In other words, Mr. Dennis had more than enuff! for one night, then he made an honest mistake and killed the wrong relative. Okay, and...?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 03:34 PM   #26
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This is from the local news, the Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal.

When Christopher Bergan jumped out of the bushes, "Mr. Dennis fired one round from a .380 semi-automatic firearm and struck Bergan in the heart, instantly killing him." Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson told a press conference:

In other words, Mr. Dennis had more than enuff! for one night, then he made an honest mistake and killed the wrong relative. Okay, and...?
Those are the Sheriff's words though. Maybe the father-in-law didn't think the earlier confrontation had anything to do with his reaction later that night. Maybe they are his words too though, I don't know.

Without that earlier confrontation we have a guy in a situation that he could believe was dangerous. I'd be more than wary if someone was banging on my back door in my enclosed yard late at night. Depends on where you live and a lot of other things.

Then upon opening the door to find someone "jumping out of the bushes" - did he jump towards the shooter? Was he within a few feet of him or across the yard?

People here at ISF would be calm and cool? A guy jumps out of the darkness in your own yard, possibly just a few feet away, and growling or yelling as he does so, and you are like, "Oh ya he's probably a prankster"? Come on.

It's a tragic accident. I'm not a fan of guns but the fact is that we have them here. You can't analyze this story and pretend we don't live in this gun "culture". Given that, his reaction is not surprising at all. It's why he owns the gun in the first place - to protect himself at home.

I wonder if the son-in-law, being from Norway (or living there), was unaware that his actions could be dangerous here. It's a dumb thing to do here, maybe in Norway too.

If you want to argue that gun culture is bad then fine, but the fact is that we live in one and this guys actions don't appear to be out of line with that or the laws.

I'm not even saying he was right or wrong. I'm saying that the condemnation from some posters here is bullcrap. Yer talkin' outta yer ass. You weren't there.

Last edited by mgidm86; 6th October 2019 at 03:35 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 04:37 PM   #27
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Those are the Sheriff's words though. Maybe the father-in-law didn't think the earlier confrontation had anything to do with his reaction later that night. Maybe they are his words too though, I don't know.

Without that earlier confrontation we have a guy in a situation that he could believe was dangerous. I'd be more than wary if someone was banging on my back door in my enclosed yard late at night. Depends on where you live and a lot of other things.

Then upon opening the door to find someone "jumping out of the bushes" - did he jump towards the shooter? Was he within a few feet of him or across the yard?

People here at ISF would be calm and cool? A guy jumps out of the darkness in your own yard, possibly just a few feet away, and growling or yelling as he does so, and you are like, "Oh ya he's probably a prankster"? Come on.

It's a tragic accident. I'm not a fan of guns but the fact is that we have them here. You can't analyze this story and pretend we don't live in this gun "culture". Given that, his reaction is not surprising at all. It's why he owns the gun in the first place - to protect himself at home.

I wonder if the son-in-law, being from Norway (or living there), was unaware that his actions could be dangerous here. It's a dumb thing to do here, maybe in Norway too.

If you want to argue that gun culture is bad then fine, but the fact is that we live in one and this guys actions don't appear to be out of line with that or the laws.

I'm not even saying he was right or wrong. I'm saying that the condemnation from some posters here is bullcrap. Yer talkin' outta yer ass. You weren't there.
Uhhh. No. The father in laws reactions were completly unreasonable.

Reasonable actions would have been (in no particular order)

- not answering the back door
- threatening to call the authorities
- actually calling the authorities
- calling the phone of the relative he had the argument with
- not being a yosamete sam bitch that thinks guns are a viable solution to an argument
- Announcing he was armed and directing the doorknocker to leave his property or come out slowly
But anyway now he has murdered his daughters spouse and the rest of his family know he is willing to murder at least one other relative. Hope he is going to have a wonderful Christmas.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 07:57 PM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Ok, agreed that there may have been circumstances undisclosed by the reporting. And of course, we were not there and may feel differently if we were.

But the reason I feel no pity is because Dennis shot at an unidentified target. That to me is inexcusable, and the equivalent of murder. Like on the Amber Guyger case, the Whoopsie Defense does not release you from guilt. This guy did not care who he was shooting at. Something scared him, so it deserved to die. That does not get explained away under the guise of the brave home defender tripe.

He walked to he door with a loaded gun because someone was banging on it. Maybe murderers in Florida are polite, and knock first? I cannot come up with a scenario where this was an accidental killing. He meant it, by all indications. Just didn't give a fat rat's ass who it was at the time.

Thanksgivings are gonna be awkward at Chez Dennis. And he has not a soul to blame but himself. It was not a tragic accident, if the reporting is even half accurate. It was a heartless intentional killing. Just a surprise victim. The time to identify your target is before pulling the trigger.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:44 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It isn't like anyone did anything wrong. These things just happen, we have to accept these kinds of shooting for our rights to kill as needed. I mean what next some kind of sissy duty to retreat nonsense? Stand your Ground and put them in the ground, its the american way.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 07:18 AM   #30
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
"But your honour, I thought it was one of those foreigners Trump warned us about! Like the Gambian Growler that lurks in shrubbery and eats Christian virgins!".

eta Damnit, now bluesjnr is gonna call me out, isn't he.
Yup - It takes time to do the good deed but;

Bluesjnrs Rule - Thread Trumped!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events