ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th October 2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Describe a society without police oficers

They exist unfortunately but here in the U S A we have policemen and women. In my opinion, they, for the most part, do a good job. Catching criminals, enforcing the law and overall protecting our citizens often above and beyond the call of duty.

There are some bad cops. I've met a few. Dishonest, incompetent, etc but not the overwhelming majority of them.
Old 4th October 2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I guess strawmen would uphold the law then.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 01:58 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure police officers are like fiat currency: The first thing a society without them would do is invent them.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:03 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Off topic but

The nation state with the most police per pop' is Vatican City.

15,500 odd per 100,000

Also have one of the highest crime rates in the world

God seems not to look out for them much
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:06 PM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Off topic but

15,500 odd per 100,000

Urban areas often have a lot of crime.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:08 PM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm pretty sure police officers are like fiat currency: The first thing a society without them would do is invent them.
An anarchist acquaintance of mine explained that while there should be no police and no rules, there could be groups of people empowered to prevent anti-social behaviour. I remember him being asked if they would have special hats and badges to identify them.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:12 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Off topic but

15,500 odd per 100,000

It'd be nice to take a serious look at what's actually going on there, but it's the Vatican, so probably any attempt along those lines is just going to get smothered by atheist virtue signaling.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:13 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
An anarchist acquaintance of mine explained that while there should be no police and no rules, there could be groups of people empowered to prevent anti-social behaviour. I remember him being asked if they would have special hats and badges to identify them.
Heh. My question is, in an anarchist society, who would be empowering these people?
Old 4th October 2019, 02:14 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It'd be nice to take a serious look at what's actually going on there, but it's the Vatican, so probably any attempt along those lines is just going to get smothered by atheist virtue signaling.
A shed load of money laundering still I would imagine.

They have prior history
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

Heh. My question is, in an anarchist society, who would be empowering these people?
A special representative group that knows best for the community. They might be chosen by the society or simply earned their place through a certain charisma.

Old 4th October 2019, 02:20 PM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Off topic but

15,500 odd per 100,000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Vatican_City

Tourism is one of the principal sources of revenue in the economy of Vatican City. In 2007 about 4.3 million tourists visited the Vatican Museums alone.[3] Tourism is the main cause of the Vatican's unusually high crime rate: tourists are blamed for various minor thefts and incidents.

That many tourists require serious policing even in a .44 square km block. Plus how many of the police there are the ceremonial Swiss Guard. Quite a few I would bet.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:21 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
A special representative group that knows best for the community. They might be chosen by the society or simply earned their place through a certain charisma.
That is the funny thing about anarchists. If you ask them details about how an anarchist society would work, they end up describing something that for all practical purposes is government, except they are careful not to call it that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:23 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Vatican_City

Tourism is one of the principal sources of revenue in the economy of Vatican City. In 2007 about 4.3 million tourists visited the Vatican Museums alone.[3] Tourism is the main cause of the Vatican's unusually high crime rate: tourists are blamed for various minor thefts and incidents.

That many tourists require serious policing even in a .44 square km block. Plus how many of the police there are the ceremonial Swiss Guard. Quite a few I would bet.
When I visited Rome, Vatican City was wall to wall tourists. I suspect policing the Tourist is pretty much the main job of the Vatican Police force.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:25 PM   #14
Venom
Illuminator

In some of the most crime-ridden areas of Mexico there might as well be no police patrolling town.

Civilians form their own police groups and even 'assassin' squads, formed specifically to combat the drug cartels. And of course we can look at other examples around the world.

That's what I imagine the first order of business in a police-less society to be.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:44 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And I suspect the Crime in Vatican City are pretty much of the pickpocket and stolen tourist bags/purses petty theft variety.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th October 2019, 02:51 PM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I suspect the Crime in Vatican City are pretty much of the pickpocket and stolen tourist bags/purses petty theft variety.
Well, I wouldn’t be too sure about that being the only crime. I mean, we are talking about a country composed almost entirely or priests and altar boys. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 4th October 2019, 03:21 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And there it is.
Old 4th October 2019, 03:31 PM   #18
mgidm86
Philosopher

Ya I mean we already invented them once. We'd simply do it again. Case closed.

Side note: The town my Dad lives in has no police dept. Next closest town is maybe 20 - 3o minutes away, also with no police.

They have Sheriffs that drive through maybe once a week and are available if there is a call, but their arrival could take a long time. So there is essentially nobody around if an incident should occur.
Old 4th October 2019, 04:20 PM   #19
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Icelandic sagas describe a society without police officers. There were the equivalent of courts and judges, but actually determining and detaining the guilty party, and carrying out the sentence, was mostly up to the victim's relatives and allies.

They also do a pretty fair job of describing the consequences of this system: escalating feuds spreading through generations and sometimes wiping out extended families.

Last edited by Myriad; 4th October 2019 at 04:21 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 04:54 PM   #20
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
They exist unfortunately but here in the U S A we have policemen and women. In my opinion, they, for the most part, do a good job. Catching criminals, enforcing the law and overall protecting our citizens often above and beyond the call of duty.

There are some bad cops. I've met a few. Dishonest, incompetent, etc but not the overwhelming majority of them.
re: the highlighted,
wasn't there a court decision in the US that concluded the police had no obligation to protect the public?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 05:23 PM   #21
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Icelandic sagas describe a society without police officers. There were the equivalent of courts and judges, but actually determining and detaining the guilty party, and carrying out the sentence, was mostly up to the victim's relatives and allies.

They also do a pretty fair job of describing the consequences of this system: escalating feuds spreading through generations and sometimes wiping out extended families.
I don’t think I’ve read a single of the sagas where the payee of blood money ever survives.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:04 AM   #22
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Beyond village-sized societies, the need for some sort of law enforcement becomes apparent rapidly.
In the lack of organized law enforcement, vigilantism tends to become the norm. The problem with that is that generally “vigilance committees” tend to abrogate human rights.

The larger a society gets, the more “anonymity” the people experience, and the more opportunity for crime of various sorts. In small village societies where everyone knows everyone... Hard to get away with crime.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:51 AM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Beyond village-sized societies, the need for some sort of law enforcement becomes apparent rapidly.
In the lack of organized law enforcement, vigilantism tends to become the norm. The problem with that is that generally “vigilance committees” tend to abrogate human rights.
Of course so do the police. Real conundrum that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:10 AM   #24
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Off topic but

15,500 odd per 100,000

And that's not even counting all the child abuse!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:12 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- Describe a society without police officers.
- They would have police officers, they wouldn't just call them that.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:28 AM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
- Describe a society without police officers.
- They would have police officers, they wouldn't just call them that.
I'm not so sure. The old Icelandic model seems substantially different from my "the first thing they'd do is invent some" hypothesis.

But probably every community has to fill the policing role somehow.

That role being mostly -
- protect the citizens and their property
- discover the perpetrator of a crime
- seek out the perpetrator and bring them before the magistrate
Old 7th October 2019, 07:33 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Gotta love this strawman that gets trotted out anytime there are calls for police reform. It's the "how would you like it if we took our ball and went home" of political discourse. The police are often threatening to stop enforcing the law if they aren't allowed wide latitude to violate civil rights.

Society needs policing for the obvious reasons. Criticisms of the police are not repudiations of the entire endeavor, but rather recognition of systematic failures that are causing harm. Police like to frame the debate as a false choice between highly corrupt policing or no policing at all.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th October 2019 at 07:36 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:36 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

This also gets into what exactly is a police officer to determine when they came into existence. I mean people regard policing before and after the metropolitan police act of 1829 as different and that creating the first modern police force.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 08:10 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Gotta love this strawman that gets trotted out anytime there are calls for police reform. It's the "how would you like it if we took our ball and went home" of political discourse. The police are often threatening to stop enforcing the law if they aren't allowed wide latitude to violate civil rights.

Society needs policing for the obvious reasons. Criticisms of the police are not repudiations of the entire endeavor, but rather recognition of systematic failures that are causing harm. Police like to frame the debate as a false choice between highly corrupt policing or no policing at all.
Dude what are you talking about? Any chance you could quote the post(s) you're replying to? Or at least link to them?
Old 7th October 2019, 08:28 AM   #30
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Dude what are you talking about? Any chance you could quote the post(s) you're replying to? Or at least link to them?
I'm not replying to anyone in particular, but I can't help but think the OP is related to what is coined "the Ferguson effect", in which the police are perceived as being less proactive in response to worsening community relations.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/re...lhb0000164.pdf

The OP was a bit vague, but I can't help but conclude the hypothetical "society without police" is in context of police reform movements in this country.

Here is some context, with comments from then FBI head James Comey, basically blaming rising crime rates on police being afraid of being filmed while performing their duties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/u...ideos-fbi.html

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th October 2019 at 08:30 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 08:33 AM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It seems like you're trying to get an argument out of your head and into a thread where it doesn't really belong.
Old 7th October 2019, 08:35 AM   #32
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

It seems like you're trying to get an argument out of your head and into a thread where it doesn't really belong.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Your post pretty much put a bow on this OP anyway. Society would invent police, it's a fundamental demand of civilization. What more can be said?
Old 7th October 2019, 09:05 AM   #33
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Describe a society where police officers policed themselves with the same dedication that they did non-police, and didn't routinely form a blue wall of denial and obfuscation to cover up the transgressions of their "few bad apples".

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 09:09 AM   #34
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
re: the highlighted,
wasn't there a court decision in the US that concluded the police had no obligation to protect the public?

There was one for NYC cops. I'm not sure how broadly applicable it would have been for other departments across the country.

Not very, I expect. They'd have to get their own duck-and-cover decisions.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 09:14 AM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There was one for NYC cops. I'm not sure how broadly applicable it would have been for other departments across the country.

Not very, I expect. They'd have to get their own duck-and-cover decisions.
Well as it was federal courts for DC it is generally taken to apply to all officers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

Though it was reinforced in the case where the cops watched someone being stabbed who then subdued the guy stabbing him, which of course the police got the credit for while hiding from the stabber.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:16 AM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

Quote:
Describe a society without police oficers (sic)
Copless

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 09:46 AM   #37
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well as it was federal courts for DC it is generally taken to apply to all officers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

Though it was reinforced in the case where the cops watched someone being stabbed who then subdued the guy stabbing him, which of course the police got the credit for while hiding from the stabber.

The second one is the one I was thinking of.

Two ( ) NYPD cops hid and watched from safety while a man took down and subdued a spree killer in a NYC subway, being stabbed repeatedly himself in the struggle. Then they came out of hiding and arrested the killer after he was pinned to the floor.
Quote:
... attorneys for the City of New York argued that police had no duty to protect Lozito or any other person from Gelman.[24]

On July 25, 2013, Judge Margaret Chan dismissed Lozito's suit, stating that while Lozito's account of the attack rang true and appeared "highly credible", Chan agreed that police had "no special duty" to protect Lozito.[21][22][26]

Last edited by quadraginta; 7th October 2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:59 AM   #38
ahhell
Master Poster

IDK, it took a couple of thousand years to for civilizations to create fiat money. Its also pretty surprising how long many societies go without police, If I understand it correctly, Rome was about 400 years into its history before it had a police force of note.

But like folks have said, the alternative to cops is almost certainly escalating fueds in any society where beyond the size where everyone knows everyone else.

I figured the answer to the Vatican's crime rates and police force would be tourism.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 10:01 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The second one is the one I was thinking of.

Two ( ) NYPD cops hid and watched from safety while a man took down and subdued a spree killer in a NYC subway, being stabbed repeatedly himself in the struggle. Then they came out of hiding and arrested the killer after he was pinned to the floor.
Yep then they got accolades and honors for their behavior, while the guy who subdued the spree killer was conveniently in the ICU and not able to dispute their story.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:05 AM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
IDK, it took a couple of thousand years to for civilizations to create fiat money. Its also pretty surprising how long many societies go without police, If I understand it correctly, Rome was about 400 years into its history before it had a police force of note.
But were the guards what we would think of as police or not? Until quite recently they seem to act more a beat/riot cops than have any real investigation functions. The preventing feuds was always more a job for the courts than the police.

And yes a weird thing is about how long we had a court system before a policing system.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events