ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , celebrity opinions , Ellen Degeneres , George W. Bush

Old 8th October 2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Ellen DeGeneres Responds to George Bush Photo Criticism

Quote:
Ellen DeGeneres has responded to the pointed social media criticism she has faced after sitting next to former President George Bush at Sunday's Dallas Cowboys-Green Bay Packers.

...Users brought up Bush's conservative politics that were anti-LGBTQ as well as the countless deaths from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that happened during his term and many felt the Ellen host was helping to rehabilitate his image.

peaking about the backlash, DeGeneres said that "people were upset: Why is a gay Hollywood liberal sitting next to a conservative president? A lot of people were mad." But she pivoted by putting up one positive tweet which said, "Ellen and George Bush together makes me have faith in America again." Building on the theme of that tweet, Degenres added: "Here's the thing: I'm friends with George Bush, in fact I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have. We are all different and I think we've forgotten that that's OK that we're all different."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...vrr?li=AAgfLCP

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Bit of head scratching here, struggling to think of anything but "and?"

Old 8th October 2019, 06:14 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Awww, two multimillionaires can overcome their vast differences. How charming. A real inspiration to multimillionaires of all races and creeds and sexualities.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:24 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Awww, two multimillionaires can overcome their vast differences. How charming. A real inspiration to multimillionaires of all races and creeds and sexualities.
Your don't have to be a millionaire, to get along with the people around you.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:24 AM   #5
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
But it sure as hell helps.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:25 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

As usual, you miss the point.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:28 AM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As usual, you miss the point.
As usual, you actively obscure the point, so I don't feel like this one is on me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:39 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

As usual, you actively obscure the point, so I don't feel like this one is on me.
The point, which is obvious to everyone else, is that the minor differences in political opinions of those two persons are nothing compared to the vast similarities they share by virtue of being staggeringly wealthy. Neither of them has to consider suicide if they get too ill to work. Neither of them is going to miss a meal if they don't choose to. Neither of them has to forego medical treatment due to cost. They can afford, in every sense, the luxury of disregarding such trifling matters that consume the majority. They will sit in comfy chairs nibbling on delicacies while millions suffer, and pride themselves on how open-minded and good they are to be buddies.

The cancer cells get along splendidly with each other. Why wouldn't they?
Old 8th October 2019, 06:40 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
But it sure as hell helps.
I'm not convinced it does.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:44 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The point, which is obvious to everyone else, is that the minor differences in political opinions of those two persons are nothing compared to the vast similarities they share by virtue of being staggeringly wealthy. Neither of them has to consider suicide if they get too ill to work. Neither of them is going to miss a meal if they don't choose to. Neither of them has to forego medical treatment due to cost. They can afford, in every sense, the luxury of disregarding such trifling matters that consume the majority. They will sit in comfy chairs nibbling on delicacies while millions suffer, and pride themselves on how open-minded and good they are to be buddies.

The point is that you see them as indistinguishable, therefore they must see each other as indistinguishable?

---

There are also far reaching implications of your hypothesis, which I am certain you have often considered, but which you are disregarding in the present era.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:56 AM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The point is that you see them as indistinguishable, therefore they must see each other as indistinguishable?

---

There are also far reaching implications of your hypothesis, which I am certain you have often considered, but which you are disregarding in the present era.
I didn't say "indistinguishable". They are more similar than they are different is what I said.

And **** your "implications". It's time for a jacquerie.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:58 AM   #12
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Rich people have class solidarity, news at 11.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:59 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Apparently it IS news to some.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:03 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My bad. I should have said hypotheses, plural. Sorry about that.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:09 AM   #15
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

"I say potato, you say the Constitution should be amended to criminalize my sexuality". Building bridges.

The kneejerk instinct of Democrats to rehabilitate the reputation of W. is absolutely bizarre to see.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 8th October 2019 at 07:10 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:11 AM   #16
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Itís so heartwarming how old money and new money can be friends these days.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:12 AM   #17
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

You guys are so cynical. I'm sure wealth has nothing to do with it and Mr Bush has plenty of poor black gay friends too.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:14 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"I say potato, you say the Constitution should be amended to criminalize my sexuality". Building bridges.
But even if such an amendment were made, Ellen would be unlikely to suffer from it. We have seen throughout history that the wealthy are insulated from consequences. Being gay WAS illegal for long periods of history but it wasn't the rich who got punished for it. Wealth lifts people out of the life the rest of us lead.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:21 AM   #19
Thermal
Philosopher

But even if such an amendment were made, Ellen would be unlikely to suffer from it. We have seen throughout history that the wealthy are insulated from consequences. Being gay WAS illegal for long periods of history but it wasn't the rich who got punished for it. Wealth lifts people out of the life the rest of us lead.
Truth. It's almost comical when people think the tribal lines are sincerely drawn along ideology. They are drawn along net worth. Most of us are just the rabble that cheers for them.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:32 AM   #20
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

The man lied us into a war that killed tens of thousands of people, and he brought back torture.

I'm friends with people who have different beliefs from me, too, but there are lines in the sand.

Pedophiles, Nazis...war criminals would be one, if I were rich enough to somehow end up in a mutual social circle with one.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:42 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
You guys are so cynical. I'm sure wealth has nothing to do with it and Mr Bush has plenty of poor black gay friends too.
Begging the question that Bush and Degeneres are friends.

I really do think wealth has nothing to do with it. I really do think anyone can sit amicably next to someone they don't care for, in a public setting for a couple hours. I think that's a basic human capability, that is not particularly influenced by relative wealth.

Just like wealthy people can be in vehement and toxic opposition to each other, in spite of their supposed class solidarity. Just like poor people can be the same.

And I think that to suggest otherwise is profoundly dehumanizing to rich and poor alike. For me, the most depressing thing about the current political idiom is how aggressively dehumanizing it is. And how enthusiastically you and other progressives invest in it.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:58 AM   #22
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

From the OP:

Quote:
Degenres added: "Here's the thing: I'm friends with George Bush, in fact I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have.
They're friends.

Quote:
I really do think wealth has nothing to do with it. I really do think anyone can sit amicably next to someone they don't care for, in a public setting for a couple hours. I think that's a basic human capability, that is not particularly influenced by relative wealth.
There's "people you don't care for," and then there's mass murderers and torturers.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:09 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently it IS news to some.
Probably because it's crap. George Soros and Charles Koch are both millionaires. Do you see a lot of class solidarity there? President Obama and Chief Justice Roberts are both millionaires. Do you see a lot of class solidarity there? Like hell you do. Elizabeth Warren and President Trump are both millionaires. Class solidarity? Pull the other one. Mitch McConnell and Hillary Clinton. Al Franken and Kris--Actually, Senator Gillibrand's net worth is only around half a million dollars. So that one is kind of understandable. Though it's probably a shame that Gillibrand couldn't set class aside in favor of political solidarity, like all these other high class people seem to do.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:10 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
From the OP:

They're friends.

There's "people you don't care for," and then there's mass murderers and torturers.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:11 AM   #25
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Probably because it's crap. George Soros and Charles Koch are both millionaires. Do you see a lot of class solidarity there?
Of course:

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/1/2067744...-wars-military

Quote:
There’s an unlikely pair of philanthropists behind Washington, DC’s, newest think tank.

The new outfit, launched yesterday, is called the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft, and it’s funded by liberal billionaire George Soros and libertarian billionaire Charles Koch
ETA:

They have some other shared hobbies they do together, as well:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=334267

Last edited by kellyb; 8th October 2019 at 08:13 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:20 AM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

From the OP:

They're friends.

Maybe she knows him better than you do? They're friends. Perhaps they've talked about these issues and she's got insights that you don't have.

But whatever. They're friends, in spite of what you imagine must be irreconcilable differences. Other than "class solidarity" (which is a crock of ****), what explanation can you offer?
Old 8th October 2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Just like wealthy people can be in vehement and toxic opposition to each other, in spite of their supposed class solidarity. Just like poor people can be the same.

And I think that to suggest otherwise is profoundly dehumanizing to rich and poor alike. For me, the most depressing thing about the current political idiom is how aggressively dehumanizing it is. And how enthusiastically you and other progressives invest in it.
Sure, Anyone should be able to sit next to someone they don't care for without causing a scene. And calling someone out on twitter for doing so isn't going to do anyone any good.

But I do think wealth is a factor here.( I'll ignore the obvious fact of being able to afford skybox tickets to an NFL game).
What makes it so that DeGeneres and Bush move in the same circles, and what immunizes her sufficiently from consequences of the views and policies of politicians like Bush to make her consider him a buddy rather than someone who is opposed to people like her? I'd wager that being rich is a factor here.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:28 AM   #28
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe she knows him better than you do? They're friends. Perhaps they've talked about these issues and she's got insights that you don't have.

But whatever. They're friends, in spite of what you imagine must be irreconcilable differences. Other than "class solidarity" (which is a crock of ****), what explanation can you offer?
I don't think it's a crock of **** at all.

Because she's in the same social class as him, she sees him as just someone who she doesn't have the "same beliefs" as.

An elite criminal is someone she can be cool with. If he were a common criminal/murderer/torturer, I doubt she'd be so charitable.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:37 AM   #29
Steve
Philosopher

People, people, people! Can you find something more trivial to talk about than who sits with who at a football game. You are discussing a retired politician and a boring entertainer. They just do not matter.

Oh, except the parts where people talk about their money. That is very important.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:48 AM   #30
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It was an obvious to me feel free to make a snarky comment reply
Old 8th October 2019, 09:52 AM   #31
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I don't think it's a crock of **** at all.

Because she's in the same social class as him, she sees him as just someone who she doesn't have the "same beliefs" as.

An elite criminal is someone she can be cool with. If he were a common criminal/murderer/torturer, I doubt she'd be so charitable.
True it's not a crock of s*** it's 10 Olympic swimming pools filled with s***
Old 8th October 2019, 10:20 AM   #32
Mumbles
Philosopher

Solidarity can bring together some people, even against their supposed best interests. Does Ellen really *need* to marry anyone to ensure legal rights and protections - or could she just hire a lawyer to ensure most legal rights, and plain pressure others? If push came to shove...

"Sorry, only spouses can visit you in here."

Ellen: "Um, you know who I am, right? Let her in, or I'll have you fired."

"Um...right away, ma'am, sorry."
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:45 PM   #33
xjx388
Philosopher

Wow . . . not exactly the reaction I thought I'd see.

I thought it was kinda cool that two people with opposite viewpoints can be friends. Maybe Bush has convinced her on some economic policies and Ellen has convinced him on some social policies? Maybe they are friends because they don't represent the extremes of their ostensible ideologies?

We really don't know. What we do know is that they are friendly. And what in the hell is wrong with that? That's what we need if we are going to get over this hyper-partisan environment we currently live in. If W and Ellen can be friendly, there's at least some little sliver of hope for the country
Old 8th October 2019, 02:53 PM   #34
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Wow . . . not exactly the reaction I thought I'd see.

I thought it was kinda cool that two people with opposite viewpoints can be friends. Maybe Bush has convinced her on some economic policies and Ellen has convinced him on some social policies? Maybe they are friends because they don't represent the extremes of their ostensible ideologies?

We really don't know. What we do know is that they are friendly. And what in the hell is wrong with that? That's what we need if we are going to get over this hyper-partisan environment we currently live in. If W and Ellen can be friendly, there's at least some little sliver of hope for the country
SOme of the attitudes in this thread sum up everything I do not like about the dogmatic Left in this country...which, surprise, are the same things I do not like about the dogmatic Right.
In fact that people with differing political opinions seem to automatically hate each other is what could destroy democracy in this country. Democracy depends on Compromise, and compromise with somebody you think is evil is hard.
Right now, the Right is displaying this much more then the Left, but I think the Left is showing signs of eventually catching up.
And of course it's the other side that is in the wrong, you side is as pure as the driven snow...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:04 PM   #35
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

If conservatives are wondering what happened to civility, they should check the shallow grave they left its body in.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:24 PM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Meanwhile, today the Supreme Court heard a case to determine whether gays can be protected from discrimination. Looks like they're leaning towards "no". It's 2019 and I can be fired for being gay.

Go ahead, tell me how both sides are full of good people.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:33 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
If conservatives are wondering what happened to civility, they should check the shallow grave they left its body in.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've got Ellen Degeneres and George W Bush being friends, so I'm doing alright.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:38 PM   #38
Venom
Illuminator

It doesn't bother me that people keep seeing Iraq when Bush is brought up.

He deserves it.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:47 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
It doesn't bother me that people keep seeing Iraq when Bush is brought up.

He deserves it.
Wait, why does he deserve us seeing it every time it's brought up?
Old 8th October 2019, 04:22 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher

SOOOO.....all rich people like each other? They must, according to this thread, I mean money bridges all gaps, right?

Adults - real adults - can put aside differences.

People can argue to the point of extreme rudeness here at this forum, yet if you go to the Member's Only area you will see these same people cracking jokes, giving advice to each other and talking.

There used to be a thing with the JREF called The Amazing Meeting where people from here and other skeptic arenas would meet in Vegas.

Two attorneys can viciously fight against each other in court and still go for drinks afterward.

What a silly thread. Everything is a gawdam crisis these days. The lambs are laying with the lions, oh my word!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events