ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:00 PM   #441
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Anyone remember OS2 Warp?
The Navy still used it for their shipboard ATM system up until... 1999, 2000 or so.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 04:38 PM   #442
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That would probably be Mandrake 8. Alphas vary in size and shape from pizza box to phone booth. Hopefully you didn't have to wheel in the phone booth model?
Hahah! No, not a phone booth. It was roughly the size of two tower PCs joined together into an almost cube. (the footprint was rectangular).

I'm almost certain it was one of these (particularly because I remember it having four CPUs in the box):
AlphaServerWP

and Mandrake 5 maybe?

I've just had a poke around, and I'm guessing that it was probably originally running RedHat and I "upgraded" it to Mandrake 5.1, because of the userland stuff in the Mandrake distro.

Good times.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:42 PM   #443
Dabop
Muse

Place I do the occasional repair for still has 2 98se machines and a xp machine...
They will never be upgraded until they break down for good however

I have them networked but isolated from the net
The cost of upgrading would be astronomical (you basically have to replace the entire control head) and the old hardware doesn't have the grunt to run anything newer
Replacing the entire machine is a definite 'not gunna happen' and all three???
LOL

This is one of the issues with windows, its all nice to say that old systems should be upgraded, but in many cases, it simply isn't economical or even possible to do so)
All I can do is keep them running, and as isolated from the real world as much as possible but they have to be networked and thats that... (designs come from all over the country and sometimes even from overseas, and those files have to get onto the machines somehow)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 04:43 PM   #444
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yes!

Struggling to remember which department it was, probably Centrelink (in pre-Centrelink days).

There was one guy who sat near me who had OS/2 .

It looked like windows, but prettier, and, IIRC, he was running it because he needed to run multiple instances of something at the same time.

Hah! I remember CP/M-86, that was the first "desktop" OS that I used at work.

(WordStar and SuperCal may have been the names of the two packages that I used the most)
Old 15th January 2019, 04:52 PM   #445
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Place I do the occasional repair for still has 2 98se machines and a xp machine...
They will never be upgraded until they break down for good however

https://i.postimg.cc/QxCY3fV6/DSC00416.jpg

I have them networked but isolated from the net
The cost of upgrading would be astronomical (you basically have to replace the entire control head) and the old hardware doesn't have the grunt to run anything newer
Replacing the entire machine is a definite 'not gunna happen' and all three???
LOL

This is one of the issues with windows, its all nice to say that old systems should be upgraded, but in many cases, it simply isn't economical or even possible to do so)
All I can do is keep them running, and as isolated from the real world as much as possible but they have to be networked and thats that... (designs come from all over the country and sometimes even from overseas, and those files have to get onto the machines somehow)
Many medical and scientific instrument systems are "certified" at specific configurations. These will include the OS version and the hardware in some cases. Change those out of spec without checking and the certification lapses. And that means some medical diagnoses and procedures are considered no longer "reliable" (as in, if someone gets hurt due to decisions made based on data from these systems, and the software is not properly certified...BIG legal trouble).

To get any new versions, it is quite literally a whole new food-fight from scratch to justify a replacement system.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 04:58 PM   #446
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Do you have a user with that? We have some still with Windows 2000...because of medical appliance certification requirements!
No, I had a server running it back in '94. You know, when Windows NT came on 31 floppy disks.
Old 15th January 2019, 05:07 PM   #447
Dabop
Muse

I worked in the mining game for a while, and its the same there- we literally started to get a new system certified for use for fluid transfer systems (3 million litres of diesel isnt something you can have a mistake with) and by the time that the then new vista o/s programs were tested and approved, vista was already gone.....

This one was fun

It no longer looks like that....

I had bumped the screen eht up several times as it aged, but still had gotten to the stage it couldn't be seen (hey they got their moneys worth out of it- its been on 8hrs a day minimum, 5 days a week since the 90's...)
Its a standard vga monitor, but obviously you cant buy a crt one anymore
So it now has a shiny new aluminium box mounted where the old crt monitor was, with a small lcd monitor inside with a plexiglass front cover (theres a lot of metal shavings and lube splashing around so it needs protection)

I am dreading if the hub supplying these machines goes bang (its on its third) its an old 10mb/s with coax connectors and cat5 connectors as well- the run to the office computer is cat 5, but all these machines are bnc coax network connections on them....

I used my last one last time, if it fails again I'm going to be scratching to keep that network going....
(that machine is still 98se btw)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 05:20 PM   #448
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
I worked in the mining game for a while, and its the same there- we literally started to get a new system certified for use for fluid transfer systems (3 million litres of diesel isnt something you can have a mistake with) and by the time that the then new vista o/s programs were tested and approved, vista was already gone.....

This one was fun
https://i.postimg.cc/Kjxjd9bQ/DSC00411.jpg
It no longer looks like that....

I had bumped the screen eht up several times as it aged, but still had gotten to the stage it couldn't be seen (hey they got their moneys worth out of it- its been on 8hrs a day minimum, 5 days a week since the 90's...)
Its a standard vga monitor, but obviously you cant buy a crt one anymore
So it now has a shiny new aluminium box mounted where the old crt monitor was, with a small lcd monitor inside with a plexiglass front cover (theres a lot of metal shavings and lube splashing around so it needs protection)

I am dreading if the hub supplying these machines goes bang (its on its third) its an old 10mb/s with coax connectors and cat5 connectors as well- the run to the office computer is cat 5, but all these machines are bnc coax network connections on them....

I used my last one last time, if it fails again I'm going to be scratching to keep that network going....
(that machine is still 98se btw)
PM me offline about old network gear. MAY be able to help there.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 06:46 PM   #449
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh, here's a good one.

Someone sends an email to Service Desk describing a problem. I reply saying "Try this, and if it doesn't fix the problem, please phone the Service Desk on {number}."

A day later there's another email saying "It didn't work. What do I do?"
Old 15th January 2019, 07:05 PM   #450
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Oh, here's a good one.

Someone sends an email to Service Desk describing a problem. I reply saying "Try this, and if it doesn't fix the problem, please phone the Service Desk on {number}."

A day later there's another email saying "It didn't work. What do I do?"

I don't get this one. She seems to be being polite to you by contacting by e-mail rather than phone. E-mail is generally less demanding than a phone call.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 07:18 PM   #451
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I don't get this one. She seems to be being polite to you by contacting by e-mail rather than phone. E-mail is generally less demanding than a phone call.
Yeah, in this case we needed to fix the problem by remote accessing the computer, which has to be done during a phone call. As it turned out, I took the call and was able to resolve the problem easily enough. But it's not the kind of thing that is practical to do via email exchange, especially with a nontechnical user.

But regardless, I asked them specifically to phone, and they sent an email. People just can't follow instructions.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:23 PM   #452
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

But regardless, I asked them specifically to phone, and they sent an email. People just can't follow instructions.

She made a polite interpretation of your instructions. If you're going to ding her for not calling then you should have explained at least a bit about why a phone call would be necessary. Something as simple "please call, we won't be able to resolve this via e-mail".

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 07:47 PM   #453
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
She made a polite interpretation of your instructions. If you're going to ding her for not calling then you should have explained at least a bit about why a phone call would be necessary. Something as simple "please call, we won't be able to resolve this via e-mail".
In an environment where a frequent call opening is "Hi, my user ID is {userid} and my asset number is {workstationname}, can you please remote access my PC?" it tends to be assumed.

But yes, sometimes when it isn't as busy and there isn't the certainty that I'm going to be interrupted by three calls while in the process of typing a single sentence into an email, I'll generally say that we need to fix the problem by remote accessing the workstation. I neglected that in this case.
Old 16th January 2019, 02:11 AM   #454
Wudang
BOFH

I ran that at home as well as it being the default OS at work (IBM). Windows still doesn't have file association working as well as OS/2 did. Anyone who wants to argue try to install Notepad++ as your default file editor.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 09:57 AM   #455
catsmate
No longer the 1

Oh **** yes. I had a client with 3,000 seats of the damn thing once. Using Token Ring too...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 09:58 AM   #456
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Navy still used it for their shipboard ATM system up until... 1999, 2000 or so.
I remember that. OS/2 was common in ATMs once-upon-a-time.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 09:59 AM   #457
catsmate
No longer the 1

What is he running on it? There are a handful of OS's it will support officially, and a few more unofficially.
VMS of course....
Old 16th January 2019, 10:01 AM   #458
catsmate
No longer the 1

No, I had a server running it back in '94. You know, when Windows NT came on 31 floppy disks.
I think I have a 5.25" diskette pack for NT 3.1 somewhere.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:08 AM   #459
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I remember that. OS/2 was common in ATMs once-upon-a-time.
These days I see Windows error messages on them once in a while. Even a BSOD one time.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:35 AM   #460
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

VMS of course....

VMS, when downtime is not an option.

I am a VMS guru, first started on VMS in April 1982 (prior to that in the IBM world). I still make my living from VMS (though I will finally retire in 2020). It's done me well for the last ~37 years

And my room here has quite a number of Alphas
Old 16th January 2019, 01:28 PM   #461
malbui
Beauf

I found my install media for that a few months ago when I was looking for something else. Probably unreadable by now, though.
Old 16th January 2019, 01:48 PM   #462
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I just heard the phrase "I don't like Apple computers, they are too complicated" uttered by one of my customers.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 01:55 PM   #463
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Bubble View Post
VMS, when downtime is not an option.

I am a VMS guru, first started on VMS in April 1982 (prior to that in the IBM world). I still make my living from VMS (though I will finally retire in 2020). It's done me well for the last ~37 years

And my room here has quite a number of Alphas
Same here!
Old 16th January 2019, 02:33 PM   #464
Donal
Illuminator

Currently dealing with a user who is having trouble using RDP to access their PC...from said PC
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:39 PM   #465
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Currently dealing with a user who is having trouble using RDP to access their PC...from said PC
Forget their password, then?
Old 18th January 2019, 02:28 PM   #466
CORed
Philosopher

I think I have a 5.25" diskette pack for NT 3.1 somewhere.
But do you have anything at all that can actually read a 5.25" disk?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2019, 02:33 PM   #467
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post

You mean they're trying to use the PC to RDP into itself? That doesn't work. You can do that with VNC servers and clients, but ,though it looks pretty cool, it's not useful (You get an effect much like being between two parallel mirrors, as the PC shows an image of it's display, showing an image of its display ...
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 06:12 AM   #468
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I just heard the phrase "I don't like Apple computers, they are too complicated" uttered by one of my customers.
Depends what you're used to.
A lot of the "it's so easy to use" is predicated on the assumption that you've used something similar in the past and that the user experience has been improved since then, if you have no baseline of how to use the product then it's just a bunch of shiny icons.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #469
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
But do you have anything at all that can actually read a 5.25" disk?
Actually, yes. Several in fact.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #470
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Depends what you're used to.
A lot of the "it's so easy to use" is predicated on the assumption that you've used something similar in the past and that the user experience has been improved since then, if you have no baseline of how to use the product then it's just a bunch of shiny icons.
My first experience with a Mac many years ago taught me that sometimes a word is worth a thousand pictures.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #471
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My first experience with a Mac many years ago taught me that sometimes a word is worth a thousand pictures.
On the other hand, I may have told this story before. When I was in high school in 1986 there were two labs - an IBM lab filled with IBM clones, and a Mac lab filled with 512k and 800k Macintosh computers. Prior to this the only computer I had used regularly was a TRS-80.

One day I walked into the IBM lab, switched on a computer and was presented with this:

A:/_

I had no idea what to do. All the other kids appeared to be next door in the Mac lab. I switched it off again, walked out, went to the Mac lab, sat down and received a smiley face on screen. Someone there kindly copied their boot disk and a game, and I was off and running.

The Macs were a whole pile easier for me to use. I used them extensively over the course of the next two years.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #472
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Someone left a floppy in that PC??
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #473
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Nope, and there was no-one there to give me one. This was before PCs had hard drives. You needed a boot disk.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #474
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Nope, and there was no-one there to give me one. This was before PCs had hard drives. You needed a boot disk.
That's what I said. You would not have gotten a prompt without someone leaving a boot floppy in it.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #475
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's what I said. You would not have gotten a prompt without someone leaving a boot floppy in it.
I'm pretty sure it showed the A prompt when there was no disk in the drive, but you may be right. It was obvious when there was a disk in the Mac.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet