ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #2361
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Or more acccurately it means if YOU make a pledge not to touch the cookie jar, it doesn't continue to apply to the people who buy your house and move in 5 year later.
And getting into the cookie jar is still not a great idea.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #2362
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Perhaps there's a point at which it's better not to prolong the analogy.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:06 AM   #2363
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Theresa May is considering amending the Good Friday Agreement as part of a fresh attempt to unblock the Brexit logjam,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...agreement-get/

The Good Friday Agreement, which ended centuries of violence, was voted for in a referendum Where they got to see the deal first, by 71.1% in Northern Ireland and 94.4% in ROI.
May wants to undermine it for a 51.9% blind vote and a deal everyone hates.

Also the Good Friday Agreement is an international treaty signed two governments and guaranteed by the EU & the USA.
It was overwhelmingly endorsed by the people of Ireland on both sides of the border. It marked an end to decades of violence.
It is not a bargaining chip to be used by a chaotic a British Government to hang on to power.
She can't get an agreement in her own cabinet on Brexit. How does she think she is going to renegotiate the Good Friday Agreement?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Today at 03:11 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #2364
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Not particularly. There was a lot of nonsense talked about it but other than the usual online **** throwing there wasn't much nastiness at all

Well we continually be held to ransom by the thuggish elements of society. We can't do anything if we just let people threaten violence if we even TALK about stuff.
My point is compared to the EU referendum, the Independence referendum was conducted in a far better way.
Old Today, 03:11 AM   #2365
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
It wouldn't result in a return to the Troubles. It would be better to hold it under a Labour government though because the Tories have a history of arming and colluding with loyalist terrorists.
Rubbish.
Old Today, 04:21 AM   #2366
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Jesus. She's not that thick is she?
Will of the people to take back their borders!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #2367
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Theresa May is considering amending the Good Friday Agreement as part of a fresh attempt to unblock the Brexit logjam,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...agreement-get/

The Good Friday Agreement, which ended centuries of violence, was voted for in a referendum Where they got to see the deal first, by 71.1% in Northern Ireland and 94.4% in ROI.
May wants to undermine it for a 51.9% blind vote and a deal everyone hates.

Also the Good Friday Agreement is an international treaty signed two governments and guaranteed by the EU & the USA.
It was overwhelmingly endorsed by the people of Ireland on both sides of the border. It marked an end to decades of violence.
It is not a bargaining chip to be used by a chaotic a British Government to hang on to power.
She can't get an agreement in her own cabinet on Brexit. How does she think she is going to renegotiate the Good Friday Agreement?
To bad the people voted to break that treaty and close the border. She must abide by the will of the people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:36 AM   #2368
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

That's up to the owners of the cookies to decide not some argumentative knowitall from 5 years ago.
Old Today, 04:42 AM   #2369
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
To bad the people voted to break that treaty and close the border. She must abide by the will of the people.
Yeah but the proposed amendment seems to be to add 'we double pinky swear to never have a border in Ireland (if possible)'

Talking of Ireland, I noted that the Irish don't have to apply for the EU settled status con that the Tories have used to pay some bills. This to me seems like discrimination based on nationality (remember when not discriminating based on nationality was an important reason to leave the EU?) and I think it might be contrary to EU law.

Now obviously, the UK can offer this if it likes but it isn't it illegal for Ireland to have treaty with the UK that allows it? or have the EU agreed to this exception?

I'm no lawyer but I wonder if someone from Poland would be able to test this arrangement legally? I don't see how the EU can allow Ireland to have special treatment from a third country like this.
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #2370
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Yeah but the proposed amendment seems to be to add 'we double pinky swear to never have a border in Ireland (if possible)'

Talking of Ireland, I noted that the Irish don't have to apply for the EU settled status con that the Tories have used to pay some bills. This to me seems like discrimination based on nationality (remember when not discriminating based on nationality was an important reason to leave the EU?) and I think it might be contrary to EU law.

Now obviously, the UK can offer this if it likes but it isn't it illegal for Ireland to have treaty with the UK that allows it? or have the EU agreed to this exception?

I'm no lawyer but I wonder if someone from Poland would be able to test this arrangement legally? I don't see how the EU can allow Ireland to have special treatment from a third country like this.
What can Ireland do about it? Demand that the newly liberated UK change it's laws?
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #2371
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That's up to the owners of the cookies to decide not some argumentative knowitall from 5 years ago.
No one is disputing their ability to commit bad decisions.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:59 AM   #2372
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
What can Ireland do about it? Demand that the newly liberated UK change it's laws?
There seems to be complete confusion over the status of the CTA post Brexit - it could/should require a bilateral agreement between Ireland and UK, the kind that the EU shouldn't/doesn't allow.

I'm only thinking out loud but if the EU allows Ireland to sign such an agreement it may lead to future challenges by other countries wishing to do such things or by people who claim discrimination from other EU countries.

Of course the EU/Ireland can't force the UK to apply its laws but it could stop the agreement and stop Ireland reciprocating.

The best defence I can find is that the CTA is being grandfathered in as it pre-existed the EU but I'm not sure if legally that legislation still exists or whether it was completely usurped by the EU legislation.
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #2373
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

No one is disputing their ability to commit bad decisions.
Just their moral right to substitute good ones for them.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:16 AM   #2374
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It is easy, they need to stop talking about it as an Irish border, but rather their land border with the EU. Defining it that way will make everyone understand why it needs to be closed, the referendum was about taking back control of the borders with the EU after all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics