ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 26th October 2014, 08:15 AM   #1721
Paul Holland
Scholar

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
The title hasn't helped, who knows what "The Munns Report" is about, a better title would be "Bigfoot Exposed:The Naked Truth".
You're right. Like Paulides with the 911 books, he's not willing to actually say, "This is a Bigfoot."

I don't know why he wouldn't go the extra inch and just call the book, "Proof of Bigfoot," "Science Proves Bigfoot," "Bigfoot is Real," or something that might generate a little buzz rather than sound like an 80s cute-comedy knock-off in your grocery store's "previously viewed" DVD bin.
Old 26th October 2014, 08:37 AM   #1722
Squatchy McSquatch
New Blood

I'd love to see the Mythbusters take on the PGF.

They have a penchant for trying more than just one method. Their determination could lead to very interesting results, from costume design to camera experiments. Add to the fact that we now know where the film site is and it could make for a great BF episode.
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2014, 03:50 PM   #1723
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

I think I remember the Mythbusters being asked to do a Bigfoot episode by a few people who had emailed them regarding potential episode themes. I remember the MB's reply was gently dismissive of the idea of it, they gave a few reasons but I don't remember anything specific. AFAIK, the PGF wasn't directly mentioned, though.
Old 26th October 2014, 05:02 PM   #1724
Squatchy McSquatch
New Blood

Then I guess the 'Mystery' of the PGF continues.

Unless you were born with a pair of eyes and a modicum of common sense
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2014, 05:46 PM   #1725
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The irony of making "another PGF Bigfoot costume" is that you'd accidentally over engineer it and revise the problem areas so that they look more natural and more convincing. The problem there is that although you have made a costume that looks more like a "real Bigfoot" with no weird bulging, no subduction, and properly placed breasts that really do flop around like mammary glands you have not replicated Patty which of course is a real Bigfoot.

Back in the day, only a minority of the public believed that Patterson did not pull a hoax and that they really saw a Bigfoot captured on film in Northern California in the fall of 1967. If you somehow made an identical or even better version could you then expect the majority of the general population to think that it wasn't a hoax?

None of the refutations of the PGF nor the critical review of the impossible timeline and certainly not the serial lies of Roger Patterson have had any effect on the small and steadfast fringe belief that the PGF is a film of a real Bigfoot and is not a hoax of any kind.

If you thought that Bigfoot belief was nave and maybe simpleton thinking, well it's actually worse than that.
Old 29th October 2014, 08:14 AM   #1726
Drewbot
Illuminator

A 1994 Report detailing the area around the Klamath River, based around the Yurok tribe reservation. Much history of the Trapping, Logging, Mining and Conflict of the direct area around Bluff Creek.

Note: Despite the heavy exploitation of the people, resources and land of the area, no Bigfoot is mentioned in the report, or Bigfoot body recovered.

http://www.yuroktribe.org/department...istory1994.pdf
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2014, 01:20 PM   #1727
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
A 1994 Report detailing the area around the Klamath River, based around the Yurok tribe reservation. Much history of the Trapping, Logging, Mining and Conflict of the direct area around Bluff Creek.

Note: Despite the heavy exploitation of the people, resources and land of the area, no Bigfoot is mentioned in the report, or Bigfoot body recovered.

http://www.yuroktribe.org/department...istory1994.pdf
It certainly puts the lie to the phony framing of Patterson coming out of some desolate unexplored wilderness - bigfoot escaped attention by the Indians, Russians, miners, loggers, fishermen - pretty much everyone until the 1950's.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2014, 03:56 PM   #1728
rockinkt
Muse

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
It certainly puts the lie to the phony framing of Patterson coming out of some desolate unexplored wilderness - bigfoot escaped attention by the Indians, Russians, miners, loggers, fishermen - pretty much everyone until the 1950's.
But, but, but...it's a well established excuse fact that unless you are actually looking for sasquatches - you won't see them or their tracks.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2014, 09:28 PM   #1729
mustbeso
Thinker

Indeed, why is it that you must define your "expedition" as a hunt for bigfoot before you start? Why does nobody ever see a bigfoot if they are out looking for elk or pine martens or whatever? Many of the most vocal footers seem to suggest that they spend all their spare time in the woods looking for bigfoot and bigfoot evidence. The sheer number of bigfoot clubs/organizations with websites and blogs should have produced MANY bodies and parts thereof by now. They are just as effective in their hunts as the tv show Finding Bigfoot is.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2014, 07:11 AM   #1730
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by mustbeso View Post
Indeed, why is it that you must define your "expedition" as a hunt for bigfoot before you start? Why does nobody ever see a bigfoot if they are out looking for elk or pine martens or whatever? Many of the most vocal footers seem to suggest that they spend all their spare time in the woods looking for bigfoot and bigfoot evidence. The sheer number of bigfoot clubs/organizations with websites and blogs should have produced MANY bodies and parts thereof by now. They are just as effective in their hunts as the tv show Finding Bigfoot is.
For Suburban Habitat footers a field expedition consists of swilling beer out of a cooler in the back yard while roasting animals caught at the local supermarket over a charcoal or gas fire.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2014, 09:47 AM   #1731
mustbeso
Thinker

^
Wow, I have done that! I just didn't know what to call it. Thanks
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2014, 12:24 PM   #1732
Drewbot
Illuminator

So who got the free Munns Book from Northern Lights?

What is the verdict, oh neutral observer person, who got the free book?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2014, 01:06 PM   #1733
Northern Lights
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
So who got the free Munns Book from Northern Lights?

What is the verdict, oh neutral observer person, who got the free book?
I sent it to ArchieGoodwin.
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2014, 09:02 PM   #1734
Squatchy McSquatch
New Blood

ArchieGoodwin is about to experience an AntiClimax.

I apologize if he is a member of this board.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal