ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags FOTL , Freemen on the land , Sovereign Citizens

Old 9th January 2020, 12:19 PM   #1
carlitos
"más divertido"

Sovereign Citizen Nonsense

Other than Rob Menard, we don't have a catch-all thread for what these cats are up to. Here's one.

The Crazy Case of Ex-NFL Player’s Pageant-Crashing Lackeys
Quote:
DISORDER IN THE COURT
The retired Green Bay Packer now runs a fringe ministry. Two of his followers spouted “sovereign citizen” buzzwords in a bizarre court appearance.

Gbaja-Biamila is the leader of Straitway Praiseland, a Wisconsin offshoot of Tennessee’s fringe Straitway Truth Ministry. The church calls itself “Hebrew Israelite” and claims to preach a literal reading of the Bible. Centered in a Tennessee compound where some members live, farm, and train with firearms, Straitway Truth Ministry has endorsed conspiracy theories like Flat Earth in its official pamphlets, as well as male members’ right to have multiple wives.
Salmi and Desmith’s handwritten court filings show further traces of sovereign ideology, according to Joanna Mendelson, a senior investigative researcher at the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism.

Many sovereign citizens believe that their legal name is actually a “straw man,” a separate entity from their “flesh-and-blood” selves, she explained. Sovereign citizens often reference their “straw man” in all-caps, while using phony or just plain weird jargon to refer to what they see as their true selves.

Salmi and Desmith both tried a version of the tactic in handwritten documents they filed this week.

“There are a few elements throughout the document where they identify themselves in capital letters and then in the next line they talk about themselves in lower case letters and mention ‘beneficiary,’” Mendelson told The Daily Beast.

She also suggested that they deliberately referred to themselves as human or “i:man,” perhaps to differentiate from the Sovereign concept of “straw man.”
I don't know what makes them believe in the power of these magic words.

Quote:
When the judge called the trio “respondents” (a legal term for people in the case), Gbaja-Biamila objected. “We are not respondents,” he said, according to the Associated Press. “We are only men.” He threatened to “bill you $10 per second” if the judge used the term.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Quote:
When the judge called the trio “respondents” (a legal term for people in the case), Gbaja-Biamila objected. “We are not respondents,” he said, according to the Associated Press. “We are only men.” He threatened to “bill you $10 per second” if the judge used the term.
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 07:02 PM   #3
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Quote:
But then the judge would just return the bill to him stamped "Accepted for Value".
Old 10th January 2020, 01:39 AM   #4
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
But then the judge would just return the bill to him stamped "Accepted for Value".

I thought it had to be written in red ink at a 45-degree angle.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2020, 06:06 AM   #5
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I thought it had to be written in red ink at a 45-degree angle.
On duck egg blue paper...
Or was that from a different part of their handbook?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2020, 07:02 AM   #6
ahhell
Master Poster

I love these guys, as long as there non-violent. There is something poetic about the whole, "Your laws don't apply to me for these very legalistic* reasons!"

*obviously not really legal reason, just legalistic jargon and rationales.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 04:22 PM   #7
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I love these guys, as long as there non-violent. There is something poetic about the whole, "Your laws don't apply to me for these very legalistic* reasons!"

I always liked the idea that the evil world wide conspiracy would write in 'opt out rules' into the evil legal system to make every one else slaves.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:45 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nice change since the usual proponents of this idiocy are Nordic Aryan types....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 03:56 PM   #9
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
On duck egg blue paper...
Or was that from a different part of their handbook?

Not that old canard! It has to be robin egg blue, surely?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:12 PM   #10
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Nice change since the usual proponents of this idiocy are Nordic Aryan types....
I wouldn't have predicted an intersection of white supremacy and black nationalism/religious affiliation, but I wouldn't have predicted The Nation of Islam and Scientology would make common cause either.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:39 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I wouldn't have predicted an intersection of white supremacy and black nationalism/religious affiliation, but I wouldn't have predicted The Nation of Islam and Scientology would make common cause either.
The White Supremist and the Black Nationalist have one thing in common: THey both don't like Jews very much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/03/u...farrakhan.html

Seems for the most part an anti-miscegenation common cause.

**** the moderates and harmonizers, we're going to shut this crap down together!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:31 AM   #13
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post

I remember seeing a video of a woman and her boyfriend being stopped for a traffic violation, and he ended up being charged with driving without a license. She started yelling about a nonsense regulation that proved he didn't need a license and the police had no authority over them. She called herself a "free inhabitant", or something like that. She insisted that if the officer called his commander and reported her claims, then he would be told to let them go.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 06:55 AM   #14
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember seeing a video of a woman and her boyfriend being stopped for a traffic violation, and he ended up being charged with driving without a license. She started yelling about a nonsense regulation that proved he didn't need a license and the police had no authority over them. She called herself a "free inhabitant", or something like that. She insisted that if the officer called his commander and reported her claims, then he would be told to let them go.
Article 4 free inhabitant, I expect.
gypsyjackson is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 07:32 AM   #15
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Suddenly, I understand Luke Kuechly's early retirement a lot better.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:10 AM   #16
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I was watching "How the States got their Shapes" the other day and it was talking about Ohio and how, apparently, Ohio didn't technically fulfill all the requirements when it applied for statehood, and there was a missing form of some sort. It was realized in 1950 when the state was going to celebrate its 150th anniversary of being a state, so Eisenhower had to sign something that retroactively made Ohio a state for all that time.

They mentioned in the show that it apparently still comes up on occasion for those who don't want to pay taxes (aka Sovereign Citizen), but just laughed them off as the dingbats that they are. By the way, their claims don't get any where.

Yes, Ohio is a state, you morons.
Old 19th January 2020, 09:35 AM   #17
sackett
Philosopher

Yeah, well, Ohioo may be a state, but how bout the Land Between Wyoming and Montana?

There really is such a place. The border was surveyed twice, in the 1870s & again in the 1890s. They differed by a quarter of a mile. Doesn't sound like much, but it's 300 miles long. Who levies taxes on all that, WY or MT?

Any Sov Git can tell you: nobody! The Land Between, the Horizontal Chile of the West, pays no taxes to anybody! It heeds no laws!

It charges fees on intruders, too. $10/second, probably.

My head hurts. Where's my tinfoil hat?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories