ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 25th May 2015, 12:20 PM   #3161
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The best thing about University of _____ is the color scheme of their sweatshirts. And the radio personalities on the college station.
I disagree...I think it was the cheeky mascot...and the equally cheeky cheer squads.
Slowvehicle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 01:43 PM   #3162
carlitos
"ms divertido"

I have "Cheeky Cheer Squads 5" on Betamax. A classic.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 02:04 PM   #3163
barehl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by inn View Post
I am a geomaticist
This means that you have something to do with geographic information. For example, if you created contour maps you would be a geomaticist.

Quote:
with emphasis in photogrammetry & photometrology
These both involve measuring photos. Your analysis of the PG film agrees with your statement that you take measurements from aerial photos.

Quote:
I'm an image analyst that knows how to measure Patty's biometrics on film.
You aren't measuring biometrics. This is the first suggestion of bias. Although in fairness, it may not be bias. If you are used to aerial photos then you might just be using the wrong word.

Quote:
Only a formal photogrammetric analysis can do that
This is roughly equivalent to claiming that I can determine the horsepower of a car by carefully analyzing the paint color and trim lines. Your claim doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Here is the report which I compiled back in 2009 which IMO, disproved Bill's 15mm lens theory.
Author is listed as by Gigantofootecus. This is our second suggestion of bias.

Originally Posted by Gigantofootecus
This is why Bill believes Patty was 7' 4". Her image
Our third suggestion of bias.

Originally Posted by Gigantofootecus
Since no historical data is available, the next best bet it to use Patty as a walking ruler to approximate a cross-field measurement. We know the exact frames representing 2 sides of the triangle (to the camera). Let Patty's trackway represent the 3rd "irregular" side. If Patty's step length was 41" in 17 steps she would have traveled 58'. Because she didn't travel in a straight line, the length of the 3rd side of the triangle is probably closer to 56'. Keep in mind we only need to establish a maximum distance for 17 steps of the trackway. For example, if a 60" step length is required to support a 15mm lens, then you have to reject the 41" estimate and accept that Patty was a giant.
I don't know what to say. You've not just stepped outside the bounds of professional analysis; you've hopped in a car and driven to the next county. This time the bias was more than a suggestion and it leads directly to analysis error. Let's continue.

Quote:
But this report was based on Bill's 3rd gen copy of the PGF which turned out not to match the aspect of the original film. Once I corrected for this, the focal length of the lens converged on 25mm.
And this analysis is where?

Last edited by barehl; 25th May 2015 at 03:20 PM.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 02:07 PM   #3164
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I have "Cheeky Cheer Squads 5" on Betamax. A classic.
I had the '95 squad (both sides) in the fieldhouse after home games...
Slowvehicle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 03:17 PM   #3165
barehl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
2) With my handy-dandy field measuring tape, I determined that I had covered 267' in those 38 paces.

3) My pace works out to 84.32" for a step length of 42.16" over a distance of 267'.
Okay, I measured out 140' using my measuring wheel. I measured this several times to be sure it was accurate.

My normal fast walk took 24.5 paces. That's 34" per step.

My long stride was consistently 21.5 paces. That's 39" per step.

So, a 46" step should be possible for someone over 6' tall.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 04:41 PM   #3166
Wolrab
Master Poster

What was to stop P&G from doing multiple track ways until they got the desired result. They could then film themselves doing the casts and measurements. I am no student of film but could easily pull that stunt.

Most of the TV shows I watch must be filmed in Washington DC because they always have establishing shots of the Mall, the Capital, and the White House. They wouldn't be trying to trick me, would they?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2015, 07:37 PM   #3167
barehl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
What was to stop P&G from doing multiple track ways until they got the desired result. They could then film themselves doing the casts and measurements. I am no student of film but could easily pull that stunt.
It's of a certainty that the tracks were not made by the Pattysuit figure, in spite of what the Footies here have claimed.
Old 26th May 2015, 08:06 AM   #3168
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by inn View Post
Sorry, but you can't claim the PGF is fake because bigfoot isn't real. Science doesn't work that way. So if any of you harp on that aspect, then you sure as hell aren't scientists.
Sorry, but this is one Pattyphiles always get wrong. Concerning footie, science says there is no good evidence to suggest such a creature exists. The PGF certainly isn't good evidence, not with its diaper ass, its wolfman-esque mask and its all-around ****** resolution.

Of course this is provisional and a skeptic (or skeptical scientist) would have to adjust their opinion if ole foo was carted up and put on a slab. But I don't see this happening any time soon. Does anyone, really?

You don't, do you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal