ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th December 2018, 07:30 AM   #41
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,180
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
But when I pointed out that the people making claims in the partisan election thread had not been presenting evidence, and I thanked the person who did provide good evidence, I was told,



My whole point in this thread is that the quoted position is contrary to the convention we just discussed.
Well now ...

If you were actually confused as to what someone posted in a Political thread then I expect that it would be much more effective to have asked that person for clarification in that thread as opposed to starting a new thread in the Religion section in order to obtain the clarification that you need.
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:32 AM   #42
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well now ...

If you were actually confused as to what someone posted in a Political thread then I expect that it would be much more effective to have asked that person for clarification in that thread as opposed to starting a new thread in the Religion section in order to obtain the clarification that you need.
There isn't confusion. Lssbb and I disagree on a philosophical point. I know what his position is and I think he is wrong.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:57 AM   #43
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,180
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There isn't confusion. Lssbb and I disagree on a philosophical point. I know what his position is and I think he is wrong.
In the first place, if you have a problem with 'Lssbb', then you should be talking to 'Lssbb'.

And in the second place, I have found that the Moderators take a dim view of "Call Out Threads".
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 10:16 AM   #44
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
In the first place, if you have a problem with 'Lssbb', then you should be talking to 'Lssbb'.

And in the second place, I have found that the Moderators take a dim view of "Call Out Threads".
I'm open to a discussion that the situation we were in actually removed a duty to produce evidence. But it was more philosophical than the thread it was in.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:21 PM   #45
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,180
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm open to a discussion that the situation we were in actually removed a duty to produce evidence. But it was more philosophical than the thread it was in.
Once again, I cannot figure out what your actual point is.
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 10:51 AM   #46
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
But does any of that discharge the duty?
What duty is that, exactly? I think you imagine one exists that does not.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 09:42 PM   #47
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What duty is that, exactly? I think you imagine one exists that does not.
The duty of the person making a claim to present evidence. Lssbb seemed to suggest it wasn't their responsibility.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 01:48 AM   #48
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,691
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The duty of the person making a claim to present evidence. Lssbb seemed to suggest it wasn't their responsibility.
You are using the word “duty” incorrectly, at least according to any use of the word that would apply to an Internet forum.

Why did you introduce that word?
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 07:03 AM   #49
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
You are using the word “duty” incorrectly, at least according to any use of the word that would apply to an Internet forum.

Why did you introduce that word?
Then let's replace it and keep going. I have no attachment to it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 12:55 PM   #50
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The duty of the person making a claim to present evidence. Lssbb seemed to suggest it wasn't their responsibility.
Not every claim needs evidence.

Can you understand that?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 02:59 PM   #51
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Not every claim needs evidence.

Can you understand that?
I think it does
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 03:13 PM   #52
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,152
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I think it does
Provide evidence that you think it does.

If you don't provide evidence, why would anyone believe you think it?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 03:17 PM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Provide evidence that you think it does.

If you don't provide evidence, why would anyone believe you think it?
Bob, do you think it does?

Yes


...there you go. Upon being asked, the person stated they think it does. There is your evidence that the person thinks it does.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #54
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,237
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
That is what that button does? Whenever I accidentally pushed it, it never did anything so I have just ignored it for 8 years. I will give it a shot
Then I'm surprised that the first time you used it, you didn't call up an 8-year backlog of posts you'd accidentally selected.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,901
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Bob, do you think it does?

Yes


...there you go. Upon being asked, the person stated they think it does. There is your evidence that the person thinks it does.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Then I'm surprised that the first time you used it, you didn't call up an 8-year backlog of posts you'd accidentally selected.
Wouldn't it go away all the times I used the word quote button?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.