ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:30 AM   #41
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
But when I pointed out that the people making claims in the partisan election thread had not been presenting evidence, and I thanked the person who did provide good evidence, I was told,

My whole point in this thread is that the quoted position is contrary to the convention we just discussed.
Well now ...

If you were actually confused as to what someone posted in a Political thread then I expect that it would be much more effective to have asked that person for clarification in that thread as opposed to starting a new thread in the Religion section in order to obtain the clarification that you need.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:32 AM   #42
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well now ...

If you were actually confused as to what someone posted in a Political thread then I expect that it would be much more effective to have asked that person for clarification in that thread as opposed to starting a new thread in the Religion section in order to obtain the clarification that you need.
There isn't confusion. Lssbb and I disagree on a philosophical point. I know what his position is and I think he is wrong.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:57 AM   #43
Crossbow

There isn't confusion. Lssbb and I disagree on a philosophical point. I know what his position is and I think he is wrong.
In the first place, if you have a problem with 'Lssbb', then you should be talking to 'Lssbb'.

And in the second place, I have found that the Moderators take a dim view of "Call Out Threads".

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 10:16 AM   #44
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
In the first place, if you have a problem with 'Lssbb', then you should be talking to 'Lssbb'.

And in the second place, I have found that the Moderators take a dim view of "Call Out Threads".
I'm open to a discussion that the situation we were in actually removed a duty to produce evidence. But it was more philosophical than the thread it was in.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:21 PM   #45
Crossbow

I'm open to a discussion that the situation we were in actually removed a duty to produce evidence. But it was more philosophical than the thread it was in.
Once again, I cannot figure out what your actual point is.

Old 8th December 2018, 10:51 AM   #46
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

But does any of that discharge the duty?
What duty is that, exactly? I think you imagine one exists that does not.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 09:42 PM   #47
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What duty is that, exactly? I think you imagine one exists that does not.
The duty of the person making a claim to present evidence. Lssbb seemed to suggest it wasn't their responsibility.
Old 9th December 2018, 01:48 AM   #48
Kid Eager
Philosopher

The duty of the person making a claim to present evidence. Lssbb seemed to suggest it wasn't their responsibility.
You are using the word “duty” incorrectly, at least according to any use of the word that would apply to an Internet forum.

Why did you introduce that word?
Old 9th December 2018, 07:03 AM   #49
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
You are using the word “duty” incorrectly, at least according to any use of the word that would apply to an Internet forum.

Why did you introduce that word?
Then let's replace it and keep going. I have no attachment to it.
Old 9th December 2018, 12:55 PM   #50
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Not every claim needs evidence.

Can you understand that?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 02:59 PM   #51
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Not every claim needs evidence.

Can you understand that?
I think it does
Old 9th December 2018, 03:13 PM   #52
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I think it does
Provide evidence that you think it does.

If you don't provide evidence, why would anyone believe you think it?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 03:17 PM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Provide evidence that you think it does.

If you don't provide evidence, why would anyone believe you think it?
Bob, do you think it does?

Yes

...there you go. Upon being asked, the person stated they think it does. There is your evidence that the person thinks it does.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #54
Minoosh
Philosopher

That is what that button does? Whenever I accidentally pushed it, it never did anything so I have just ignored it for 8 years. I will give it a shot
Then I'm surprised that the first time you used it, you didn't call up an 8-year backlog of posts you'd accidentally selected.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Bob, do you think it does?

Yes

...there you go. Upon being asked, the person stated they think it does. There is your evidence that the person thinks it does.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Then I'm surprised that the first time you used it, you didn't call up an 8-year backlog of posts you'd accidentally selected.
Wouldn't it go away all the times I used the word quote button?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy