ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th December 2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Max_mang
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
Another comedian kicked off college stage for "inappropriate" jokes

Reason.com article - https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/c...ts-kick-snl-co

"one of the allegedly inappropriate jokes:

During the event, Patel's performance featured commentary on his experience living in a diverse area of New York City—including a joke about a gay, black man in his neighborhood—which AAA officials deemed inappropriate. Patel joked that being gay cannot be a choice because "no one looks in the mirror and thinks, 'this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it.'"

The joke acknowledges that black people and gay people suffer oppression, and that a person who is both gay and black suffers "stacked" oppression. This joke seems almost perfectly "intersectional."

Intersectionality, the operating system of the modern left, requires everyone to recognize that different forms of oppression are interrelated, and that they stack. The problem for Patel, however, is that intersectionality also recognizes the oppressed as the sole experts on their own oppression. Thus Patel should not have commented on matters relating to black people or gay people, since he is neither gay nor black."

A couple quick thoughts:

In the US, we seem to be in the middle of an over-correction period. Casual (and often more overt) racism and homophobia were the norm and tolerated by most everyone until recently, now there is a seemingly growing subset who fiercely want to eradicate racism and homophobia by doing the social equivalent of killing a bear with an atom bomb. Is this the only way humans can get to a rational position on things? (going from one extreme to the other and eventually balancing out?)

It appears the oppressed are now using the tactics of the oppressors. Growing up in the 80s/90s it was usually older conservatives who wanted to censor and shut down people down - and college age people made champions out of Frank Zappa (PMRC) Howard Stern (FCC), etc for taking them on. Now it is much more likely for college age liberals to censor, uninvite, and shut off microphones. Tit for tat, I guess?
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:59 AM   #2
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,977
The over all anti-americanism of this ploy makes me lean towards the CT if it being a Commie plot of increasing divisiveness. Name me just one "oppressed" group that is better off today than 50 years ago. Yet you would think they are all still suffering with the boot on their necks.

But subjectively, I think the comedian was correct. Nobody would choose to be a LGBT. Maybe if his protagonist was Asian ?
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
It appears the oppressed are now using the tactics of the oppressors.
You poor victim.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:12 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,086
Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
Reason.com article - https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/c...ts-kick-snl-co

"one of the allegedly inappropriate jokes:

During the event, Patel's performance featured commentary on his experience living in a diverse area of New York City—including a joke about a gay, black man in his neighborhood—which AAA officials deemed inappropriate. Patel joked that being gay cannot be a choice because "no one looks in the mirror and thinks, 'this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it.'"

The joke acknowledges that black people and gay people suffer oppression, and that a person who is both gay and black suffers "stacked" oppression. This joke seems almost perfectly "intersectional."

Intersectionality, the operating system of the modern left, requires everyone to recognize that different forms of oppression are interrelated, and that they stack. The problem for Patel, however, is that intersectionality also recognizes the oppressed as the sole experts on their own oppression. Thus Patel should not have commented on matters relating to black people or gay people, since he is neither gay nor black."

A couple quick thoughts:

In the US, we seem to be in the middle of an over-correction period. Casual (and often more overt) racism and homophobia were the norm and tolerated by most everyone until recently, now there is a seemingly growing subset who fiercely want to eradicate racism and homophobia by doing the social equivalent of killing a bear with an atom bomb. Is this the only way humans can get to a rational position on things? (going from one extreme to the other and eventually balancing out?)

It appears the oppressed are now using the tactics of the oppressors. Growing up in the 80s/90s it was usually older conservatives who wanted to censor and shut down people down - and college age people made champions out of Frank Zappa (PMRC) Howard Stern (FCC), etc for taking them on. Now it is much more likely for college age liberals to censor, uninvite, and shut off microphones. Tit for tat, I guess?
??

Are there "degrees" of blackness now?

__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,938
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

??

Are there "degrees" of blackness now?

https://media.reason.com/mc/2018_12/...pg?h=338&w=450
Yes, and vantablack is the blackest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,469
Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
The problem for Patel, however, is that intersectionality also recognizes the oppressed as the sole experts on their own oppression. Thus Patel should not have commented on matters relating to black people or gay people, since he is neither gay nor black.
That's one of the weirdest things about it. I'd think they'd welcome the help, but instead it's just a recipe to divide people further on the issue.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,469
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Yes, and vantablack is the blackest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
Looks like someone used MS Paint to remove part of reality.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:22 PM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 14,799
Bill Maher put it best. Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfield, and Larry the Cable Guy have all stopped playing college campuses because of this mentality and when those three all agree on something, there's probably a point or as he put it:

“You know, when Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Larry the Cable Guy say you have a stick up your [expletive], you don’t have to wait for the X-rays to come back. That’s right, a black, a Jew and a redneck all walk onto a college campus and they all can’t wait to leave.”
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:24 PM   #9
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,791
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

??

Are there "degrees" of blackness now?

https://media.reason.com/mc/2018_12/...pg?h=338&w=450
"Patel" is the giveaway. He's of South Asian ancestry, not African or African-American, doesn't fit any common use of the word "black" as used to describe people. So I'm not sure what point you are making there.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:26 PM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,086
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Yes, and vantablack is the blackest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
That is so cool!

I know you are all thinking what I am thinking

We should make the All Blacks jerseys out if it.

The white of the ball would just dissipate into nothingness.

England players would go in for are tackle and melt into a different realm of reality

__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:29 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,086
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
"Patel" is the giveaway. He's of South Asian ancestry, not African or African-American, doesn't fit any common use of the word "black" as used to describe people. So I'm not sure what point you are making there.
Right

So he is white then

Understood
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:30 PM   #12
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,266
That's a brilliant line.


Some folk at college - whom I suspect of being not nearly as smart as they think they are - clearly don't actually understand the issue. The presumption that anything that mentions race or sexual orientation, not spoken by someone of that race or orientation, is de facto bigotry just confirms that the people voicing their displeasure don't actually understand the issue.

It's cargo-cult anti bigotry.
__________________
Up the River!
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:33 PM   #13
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,791
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Right

So he is white then

Understood
He's not white. He's not black either.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:35 PM   #14
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,285
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
He's not white. He's not black either.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.
It's a black & white world?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:37 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's one of the weirdest things about it. I'd think they'd welcome the help, but instead it's just a recipe to divide people further on the issue.
If there's one thing I learned from the Atheism+ forums, it's that "allies" are literally the worst.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:37 PM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 14,799
That's the issue. Some people try to argue there is some sort of singular "black" experience or black identity and people who don't fit it just don't get to comment on it.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:01 PM   #17
Whip
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
which AAA officials deemed inappropriate
so they won't be coming out to jumpstart his car on a cold wintry night?
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:12 PM   #18
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,531
are there any good Millennial stand up comics?
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:13 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's the issue. Some people try to argue there is some sort of singular "black" experience or black identity and people who don't fit it just don't get to comment on it.
They're not wrong, though. "Black" may not be the best term for it, but there is an African-American social and economic heritage that is not shared by black people from other cultures and backgrounds. A black Englishman has no standing to talk about the experience of growing up black in America, because even though he shares the skin color he doesn't share the necessary context.

Last edited by theprestige; 6th December 2018 at 01:14 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:13 PM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 84,226
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's one of the weirdest things about it. I'd think they'd welcome the help, but instead it's just a recipe to divide people further on the issue.
Who?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:14 PM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 84,226
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That's a brilliant line.


Some folk at college - whom I suspect of being not nearly as smart as they think they are - clearly don't actually understand the issue. The presumption that anything that mentions race or sexual orientation, not spoken by someone of that race or orientation, is de facto bigotry just confirms that the people voicing their displeasure don't actually understand the issue.

It's cargo-cult anti bigotry.
It's students.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:27 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,417
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
are there any good Millennial stand up comics?
I find Iliza Schlesinger pretty funny. Aziz Ansari was frickin' hilarious. He's also one of the only comics I've seen who makes modern social media an integral part of his sets. Netflix carries a standup show by Mexican comic Sofia Niño de Rivera. It's pretty funny, but you have to understand Spanish to really appreciate it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 03:03 PM   #23
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Bill Maher put it best. Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfield, and Larry the Cable Guy have all stopped playing college campuses because of this mentality and when those three all agree on something, there's probably a point or as he put it:

“You know, when Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Larry the Cable Guy say you have a stick up your [expletive], you don’t have to wait for the X-rays to come back. That’s right, a black, a Jew and a redneck all walk onto a college campus and they all can’t wait to leave.”
No, they stopped playing because colleges don't want to cover their fees. I also suspect its because a lot of their current material, while gets roars from crowds that can pay the premium to see that at major arenas, falls a little flat with 19 year olds.

And I've read this story in a couple of places and I never see what the audience actually did. Were the majority of people in the room actually upset? Or did the organizers take it upon themselves to remove him?
Donal is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 03:39 PM   #24
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,754
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
No, they stopped playing because colleges don't want to cover their fees. I also suspect its because a lot of their current material, while gets roars from crowds that can pay the premium to see that at major arenas, falls a little flat with 19 year olds.

And I've read this story in a couple of places and I never see what the audience actually did. Were the majority of people in the room actually upset? Or did the organizers take it upon themselves to remove him?
In comic circles, for Seinfeld specifically, the consensus is that his complaints are sour grapes. The stuff he was doing simply sucked outright, but especially with anyone under 30 (and a lot of us around that age). I've never liked his material personally, but the things he cites as failing due to college PC culture are widely seen as not good on any level.

Seriously, the joke he has consistently cited as showing how PC colleges have become is how touch screen phones make us all look like gay French kings as he makes a motion that doesn't look at all like a French king of any sexual orientation nor like using a touchscreen phone.

Regardless of delivery, which doesn't help that joke by the way, it is just a stupid, unfunny joke. For some insane reason, he focuses on the gay part as the reason it fails colleges. Not that fact that French kings don't look like that. Not the fact that the audience won't even know what a French king does motion like. Not the fact that this motion isn't what using a touchscreen phone looks like to anyone who knows how to use one (which his audience does). Not the fact that his audience at colleges has next to no personal concept of living in a world that doesn't have touchscreen phones.

It isn't that 'PC' culture has no part of it as those three see it; it's that they absolutely cannot tailor their acts to relate to millennials and younger in any meaningful way. A lot of it are things that these three, two of which I actually very much like, would call 'PC' culture that this audience just sees as basic decency. They've incorporated consideration for certain things that these comedians just haven't even considered beyond being 'inherently funny'.

I was in a group of three headlining and being celebrity guests at an anime convention one year, and was helping MC some standup acts on one of the stages. The first comedian just could not read the room, and had not changed his bits at all for the audience he damn well should have expected. I mean, the jokes weren't great either, but that isn't the place for jokes that have abduction, rape, and trans gender fear as punchlines. Most of the room got up and left, which is a shame because the second act, despite being someone who usually has extraordinarily raunchy material based in part on personal, fairly traumatic, experience, had changed his delivery and references to fit the audience. It was a great set!

Chances are good the first act complained to his normal dudebro audience that the convention was just too 'uptight' and 'PC', when in fact he was just tonedeaf.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 04:03 PM   #25
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,136
Yeah. Seinfeld is about the same age now that Shecky Greene was when I was in college, and his material is similarly fresh. Why would anyone expect his grandpa jokes to resonate with people young enough to be his girlfriend?

I remember seeing Rhys Darby years ago. The opening comic/MC was your standard Opie & Anthony New York gross-out comic. Darby did a set that mainly consisted of...sound effects. Like the guy from Police Academy. The first comic then came back out and profusely apologized for not understanding what kind of show this was. It was the funniest moment of the night--the guy who had been talking about eating ass a few minutes ago was now shell-shocked and hat-in-hand. That guy, at least, knew that he had an obligation to tailor his act to the audience.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 04:40 PM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 23,984
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Yeah. Seinfeld is about the same age now that Shecky Greene was when I was in college, and his material is similarly fresh. Why would anyone expect his grandpa jokes to resonate with people young enough to be his girlfriend?


I would like to see more comics wondering why the audience is too PC to throw rotten fruit these days. They're so coddled.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:50 PM   #27
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,408
I picked this link up from another forum. The story is...rather different than "He told this joke and hysterical PC police shut down the show" Instead, he got belligerent when one of his early jokes got "mixed reactions", obsessed over Black people (You know that if a black comedian at a Black Student Union and told a bunch of jokes about Jewish people, a lot of the same folks whining about "SJWs" would decry their anti-semitism), and drew almost no laughter for the next half hour, at which point his performance was ended.

IOW, he badly misread the room and told a bunch of jokes about black people at an event that was supposed to celebrate different Asian cultures. And he was still allowed to go for about 30 minutes before being asked to leave - with the full payment. That's just a comedian bombing.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:54 PM   #28
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,844
Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
Reason.com article - https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/c...ts-kick-snl-co

"one of the allegedly inappropriate jokes:

During the event, Patel's performance featured commentary on his experience living in a diverse area of New York City—including a joke about a gay, black man in his neighborhood—which AAA officials deemed inappropriate. Patel joked that being gay cannot be a choice because "no one looks in the mirror and thinks, 'this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it.'"

The joke acknowledges that black people and gay people suffer oppression, and that a person who is both gay and black suffers "stacked" oppression. This joke seems almost perfectly "intersectional."

Intersectionality, the operating system of the modern left, requires everyone to recognize that different forms of oppression are interrelated, and that they stack. The problem for Patel, however, is that intersectionality also recognizes the oppressed as the sole experts on their own oppression. Thus Patel should not have commented on matters relating to black people or gay people, since he is neither gay nor black."

A couple quick thoughts:

In the US, we seem to be in the middle of an over-correction period. Casual (and often more overt) racism and homophobia were the norm and tolerated by most everyone until recently, now there is a seemingly growing subset who fiercely want to eradicate racism and homophobia by doing the social equivalent of killing a bear with an atom bomb. Is this the only way humans can get to a rational position on things? (going from one extreme to the other and eventually balancing out?)

It appears the oppressed are now using the tactics of the oppressors. Growing up in the 80s/90s it was usually older conservatives who wanted to censor and shut down people down - and college age people made champions out of Frank Zappa (PMRC) Howard Stern (FCC), etc for taking them on. Now it is much more likely for college age liberals to censor, uninvite, and shut off microphones. Tit for tat, I guess?
Very sad though!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:11 PM   #29
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,898
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I picked this link up from another forum. The story is...rather different than "He told this joke and hysterical PC police shut down the show" Instead, he got belligerent when one of his early jokes got "mixed reactions", obsessed over Black people (You know that if a black comedian at a Black Student Union and told a bunch of jokes about Jewish people, a lot of the same folks whining about "SJWs" would decry their anti-semitism), and drew almost no laughter for the next half hour, at which point his performance was ended.

IOW, he badly misread the room and told a bunch of jokes about black people at an event that was supposed to celebrate different Asian cultures. And he was still allowed to go for about 30 minutes before being asked to leave - with the full payment. That's just a comedian bombing.
Hmmmm, the article you pointed to seems to feel he was anti-black but the joke he told (admittedly not much of a knee-slapper) was this:

Quote:
To me, his routine was strangely obsessed with Black people, my favorite part being when he questioned why there was so much online outrage that Black actors weren’t nominated at the Oscars in 2016, but not for Asian actors. Patel’s anti-Blackness jumped out: The hashtag was #OscarsSoWhite, not #OscarsNotBlack.
Proof by hashtag?

Oh, and I did love the article's title:

Quote:
Spilling the tea on Nimesh Patel
Is that a clever reference to Patel's background in India? How anti-Asian!
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 02:54 AM   #30
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Besźel or Ul Qoma - not sure...
Posts: 8,543
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
He's not white. He's not black either.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.
But is he a "person of color"?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 03:05 AM   #31
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,266
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I was in a group of three headlining and being celebrity guests at an anime convention one year, and was helping MC some standup acts on one of the stages. The first comedian just could not read the room, and had not changed his bits at all for the audience he damn well should have expected. I mean, the jokes weren't great either, but that isn't the place for jokes that have abduction, rape, and trans gender fear as punchlines. Most of the room got up and left, which is a shame because the second act, despite being someone who usually has extraordinarily raunchy material based in part on personal, fairly traumatic, experience, had changed his delivery and references to fit the audience. It was a great set!

Chances are good the first act complained to his normal dudebro audience that the convention was just too 'uptight' and 'PC', when in fact he was just tonedeaf.

I've snipped the front off the above.


The above reminded me of this.

Dara spends time with LARPers, does LARP themed set with actual, funny LARP jokes.
__________________
Up the River!
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 03:07 AM   #32
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Besźel or Ul Qoma - not sure...
Posts: 8,543
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
They're not wrong, though. "Black" may not be the best term for it, but there is an African-American social and economic heritage that is not shared by black people from other cultures and backgrounds. A black Englishman has no standing to talk about the experience of growing up black in America, because even though he shares the skin color he doesn't share the necessary context.
Although such a black Englishman may have something to say about his own experience visiting America.

Really this is all bollocks, though. People tell jokes all the time about people with attributes they don't share, which do not mock those people.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 03:53 AM   #33
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,538
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Why would anyone expect his grandpa jokes to resonate with people young enough to be his girlfriend?
See, that's a solid joke. Who said old people aren't funny?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:43 AM   #34
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,844
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It's a black & white world?
Damn!!! I thought it was a 5 o'clock world!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 01:12 PM   #35
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,501
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Is that a clever reference to Patel's background in India? How anti-Asian!
I took it as a reference to common slang for gossip.

See mumblethrax if you were just trying to be funny.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 04:48 PM   #36
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,754
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I picked this link up from another forum. The story is...rather different than "He told this joke and hysterical PC police shut down the show" Instead, he got belligerent when one of his early jokes got "mixed reactions", obsessed over Black people (You know that if a black comedian at a Black Student Union and told a bunch of jokes about Jewish people, a lot of the same folks whining about "SJWs" would decry their anti-semitism), and drew almost no laughter for the next half hour, at which point his performance was ended.

IOW, he badly misread the room and told a bunch of jokes about black people at an event that was supposed to celebrate different Asian cultures. And he was still allowed to go for about 30 minutes before being asked to leave - with the full payment. That's just a comedian bombing.
Not surprising in the least. Not only was the set mismatched to the event, it sounds like the delivery, the demeanor, wasn't correct for it either. There are plenty of jokes that come off completely different depending on the exact wording, delivery, and setup.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I've snipped the front off the above.


The above reminded me of this.

Dara spends time with LARPers, does LARP themed set with actual, funny LARP jokes.
I'll have to watch that when the internet isn't being slow. I bet whoever Dara is doesn't do the typical thing and just mock the LARP 'losers'. Relating to them can help, and then you even can get some digs in at the community by relating and inserting self-deprecation along the same line if you really want to.

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
See, that's a solid joke. Who said old people aren't funny?
To be honest, I had no idea what the reference was the first time I heard the 'Jerry likes them young' joke...because it happened when I was so young. Had to Google it. It's a great joke for here, but wouldn't work at a college. It works double here because it becomes meta; the joke making fun of Seinfeld for being old only works because the teller and audience are likewise 'old'.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 04:52 PM   #37
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,754
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Although such a black Englishman may have something to say about his own experience visiting America.

Really this is all bollocks, though. People tell jokes all the time about people with attributes they don't share, which do not mock those people.
Both are true. You can tell jokes like that as long as you relate it to your own observations without pretending like you can speak for them. Yes, someone will always 'call you out' for it, but someone will also always defend even outright racist jokes too. The presence of some criticism does not validate nor invalidate that proposition.

And like I mentioned above, a lot of factors effect how the bit comes off. Persona also matters. I've told jokes that were at times VERY critical of some lesbians, feminism, and women, while doing standup in a vegan coffee shop, that killed.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 06:38 PM   #38
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,394
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
In comic circles, for Seinfeld specifically, the consensus is that his complaints are sour grapes. The stuff he was doing simply sucked outright, but especially with anyone under 30 (and a lot of us around that age). I've never liked his material personally, but the things he cites as failing due to college PC culture are widely seen as not good on any level.
Seinfeld's stand-up has not aged well. People have also noticed he's a stuck-up *******, which is much less likeable than Larry David's hyper-*******. Seinfeld's been able to skate by on the ounce-of-image-as-a-pound-of-performance and the goodwill from his beloved television show.

As for this Patel guy getting kicked off the stage... his bit sounded stale. People have pointing out the absurdity of choosing to be gay for awhile, citing the very same reasons. Just because this group at this college is crazy does not mean necessarily reflect the culture.

On the second day of class this semester, I asked students what they knew about "Dr." Rev. Martin Luther King. One girl, who happened to be black, said, "He had a dream..." I responded, "Yeah, what was that? To not get murdered?" That triggered a reaction from the room, but... nobody complained. I have a question on a mid-term asking how I can improve the classroom environment. Over the years, a couple of people (broads) have written, "Stop making suicide jokes. They're not funny."
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:05 PM   #39
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 15,275
I'm trying to imagine what Millenials think is funny..
Would it involve designer jeans with holes in them and headphones?

I guess you have to be one.
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 08:42 PM   #40
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,754
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I'm trying to imagine what Millenials think is funny..
Would it involve designer jeans with holes in them and headphones?

I guess you have to be one.
You're thinking the youngest of the GenX.

There are fewer universal cultural truths for Millenials than with some other generations, but check out memes, as in the picture and GIF ones and not the general idea of mutating cultural references by imitating them (minema+gene=meme, which is a handy way to remember how to pronounce it).

However, there are lots they can relate to. Ironically enough, false suicide idealization is common. Jokes about anxiety, poverty, lack of power or sense of agency, absurdity of cultural norms of older people, constant disrespect and belittling, infantalization (the youngest Millenial is 17, with less than a month to be 18, the oldest is 37, it is not just 'young person'), and absurdity in general. Wordplay and puns are extremely popular. Absurd yet logical reasoning is as well.

One of my best received sets is about the, completely true, silly amount of anxiety lying gives me, even for normal cultural interactions. Don't make me lie to you. I hate being asked, 'how are you doing?' because even though I know that no matter how I am actually doing, 'fine' is a perfectly...fine...answer. Yet, when I'm not fine, also known as most of the time, I mentally have to fight to answer with a polite lie. It's torture. So I've found some ways to compensate, such as the stupid joke answer, 'I don't know, no one has told me yet today', but then one day I said the best true thing I could think of. I'm still standing. It seemed like the most positive true thing. For a long time that became my standard answer. Then at work I was just about to answer that when around the corner comes a guy in a wheelchair. I had already got out a loud, "I'm still," so I froze for second and said..."Breathing!"

That's when I saw his oxygen tank.

It obviously loses quite a lot in text as opposed to on stage, there is a LONG set on all the problems my aversion has caused me. An expressive face helps. But the key to that set is that everyone, but especially Millenials, have what we each feel is an abnormal amount of anxiety around everyday, near ritualistic, social interactions. It's a universal feeling that near everyone can relate with, taken to some absurd levels.

'Bad at adult' is super popular with us.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.