ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 20th September 2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker

I don't see a dedicated thread on this yet, although obviously the topic has come up in other threads quite often.

For starters, I'm going to use Wikipedia's list and update where it seems appropriate.

There are four key criteria, the satisfaction of any of which qualifies a person for inclusion on the list: 1) Has held any federal or statewide elected office; 2) Has been on a presidential cabinet; 3) Has been the mayor of a large city; or 4) Is very famous/rich. Essentially, these criteria exist to weed out the crackpot candidates like Jeff Boss.

Declared Candidates:
John Delaney (US Congressman from Maryland)

Undeclared, But Has Expressed Interest:

Joe Biden
Jerry Brown
Julian Castro
Stephen Colbert
Mark Cuban
John Hickenlooper
Eric Holder
Dwayne (the Rock) Johnson
John Kerry
Martin O'Malley
Bernie Sanders

(I moved Kerry up from Wikipedia's Potentials based on this article.

Potentials:

Richard Blumenthal
Cory Booker
Steve Bullock
Lincoln Chafee
Jamie Dimon
John Bel Edwards
Tulsi Gabbard
Eric Garcetti
Kamala Harris
Jason Kander
Caroline Kennedy
Amy Klobuchar
Mitch Landrieu
Jeff Merkley
Deval Patrick
Tom Steyer

Currently Not Running:

Sherrod Brown
Chelsea Clinton
Hillary Clinton
George Clooney
Andrew Cuomo
Bill de Blasio
Al Franken
Kirsten Gillibrand
Al Gore
Bob Iger
Jay Inslee
Tim Kaine
Joe Kennedy III
Terry McAuliffe
Seth Moulton
Chris Murphy
Gavin Newsom
Michelle Obama
Tim Ryan
Sheryl Sandberg
Adam Schiff
Howard Schultz
Mark Warner
Elizabeth Warren
Maxine Waters
Oprah Winfrey
Mark Zuckerberg

A few of the "Currently Not Running" candidates will be moving up pretty soon. Warren, Kaine, Cuomo and Gillibrand are certainly considered potentially strong candidates (Warren would probably become the betting favorite).

I do think some of the "Currently Not Running" candidates really are out of it. It's possible to imagine Hillary or Chelsea throwing their hats in the ring, I suppose, but I'd put my money on it not happening.

Caroline Kennedy? Well, she's already got a great campaign song, complete with a cheer line for every policy proposal (So Good, So Good, So Good!) But aside from that I don't see it happening.

Some of the lesser-known candidates on that list (Sandberg, Iger, Steyer) are billionaires.

We can add more specific categories later; "Forming an Exploratory Committee" would be a pretty good one, although of course it's empty now and probably will be for another year or so.

Additions and or/movement suggestions?

Last edited by Brainster; 20th September 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 04:00 PM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

For a minute I thought that was the Washington Generals lineup
Old 20th September 2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Prediction: DNC showdown will be Harris, Booker, and maybe Warren, with Harris finally taking the nomination.

The RNC will hem and haw, but no real challenge to Trump will develop because the Republicans can't figure out if they love him or hate him.

In the end, Trump wins, because as a country we're a bunch of idiots.
Old 20th September 2017, 05:36 PM   #4
NoahFence
Banned

I like Marty O'Malley
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 05:52 PM   #5
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Prediction: DNC showdown will be Harris, Booker, and maybe Warren, with Harris finally taking the nomination.

The RNC will hem and haw, but no real challenge to Trump will develop because the Republicans can't figure out if they love him or hate him.

In the end, Trump wins, because as a country we're a bunch of idiots.
Assuming he's still in office.
Old 20th September 2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I like Marty O'Malley
I liked him last time around, but there really was no breathing room for him on the right side of Hillary.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Tero
Graduate Poster

It's almost not interesting. More of a newsworthy analysis will be the GOP and their candidate. It it is not Trump, Trump will spend his remaining months destroying that candidate.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 06:52 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I like cake.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 07:00 PM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

A lot will depend on how strong or weak Trump and the economy are looking around the beginning of 2019, when candidates will have to begin organizing seriously. People forget that Clinton was something of a dark horse candidate in 1992; most of the Democrat heavyweights had decided not to run in 1991 when Bush, Sr. was riding high on the results of the first Persian Gulf War.

Some of the younger folks can afford to keep their powder dry if Trump looks tough. Obviously for Warren and a few others (e.g., Biden, Kerry, and Sanders) it will be now or never.
Old 20th September 2017, 08:14 PM   #10
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Just so we're clear, I hereby state, and mean all that I say, that I never have been and never will be a candidate for President; that if nominated by either party, I should peremptorily decline; and even if unanimously elected I should decline to serve.

That being said, what's it pay?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 08:23 PM   #11
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Yeah, well, I've seen no indication that Republicans are willing to remove him no matter what he does. And unless 2018 goes to Democrats in a massive landslide*, the Republicans will have to be willing for anything to be done.

* This is not going to happen.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:47 PM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
He will be so long as he wants to be. No matter what comes out of investigations or what he does as President, the current GOP are too spineless to impeach or do anything else to get him out of office and will block any attempts by the Democratic Party and/or the forces of law and order to do likewise.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 11:52 PM   #13
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I love the idea of Stephen Colbert running for President. Can't imagine how he would win, but stranger things have happened...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 12:19 AM   #14
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Dwayne Johnson has been a fixture at Republican events. Not sure he's gonna jump to the Democratic party, but of course, all things are possible in politics.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 05:47 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He will be so long as he wants to be. No matter what comes out of investigations or what he does as President, the current GOP are too spineless to impeach or do anything else to get him out of office and will block any attempts by the Democratic Party and/or the forces of law and order to do likewise.
Trump is old. Trump is obese. Trump has anger issues, particularly when he is criticized. Trump has a stressful job that makes him the most criticized person on Earth.

He's 71. Average life expectancy for white American men is 76. Does he really seem likely to beat the average? Hate him or loathe him, he's probably not going to be around much longer.
Old 21st September 2017, 06:02 AM   #16
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Trump is old. Trump is obese. Trump has anger issues, particularly when he is criticized. Trump has a stressful job that makes him the most criticized person on Earth.

He's 71. Average life expectancy for white American men is 76. Does he really seem likely to beat the average? Hate him or loathe him, he's probably not going to be around much longer.
Unlike the majority of Americans, he is rich enough to afford top-tier health care.
Old 21st September 2017, 06:04 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

2020?

Wake me up in 2019 for this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 06:09 AM   #18
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Life expectancy at birth is 76. But if you reach 71, then you're in a subset of the total population (you haven't died already), with different characteristics. The life expectancy of a white male alive at 71 is no longer 76, but actually 85.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Donal
Illuminator

You know some of the people on your list aren't actually Democrats, right?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 07:26 PM   #20
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It's possible to imagine Hillary or Chelsea throwing their hats in the ring, I suppose, but I'd put my money on it not happening.
Hillary has stated in a number of interviews now that she won't be running for public office again.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:52 AM   #21
Monza
Alta Viro

Unlike the majority of Americans, he is rich enough to afford top-tier health care.
Have you seen the photo of his personal physician?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:46 PM   #22
Bubba
Master Poster

Republicans might be hoping Joe Biden gets nominated for 2020.

They would call attention to the footage of him fondling little girls too much for their comfort. It does look a little creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ-YjGmpO4Q
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:06 PM   #23
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

They would call attention to the footage of him fondling little girls too much for their comfort. It does look a little creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ-YjGmpO4Q
I soooo hope Paul Joseph Watson gets nominated for 2020!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 12:18 AM   #24
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Peter Buttigieg has also been mentioned, in addition to Kander.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:26 AM   #25
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Biden will be 86 then and the constitution forbids presidents above the of 80.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:33 AM   #26
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
No it doesn't. But I'll grant you that Biden isn't an option.

Qualifications for Presidency

Article 2, Section 1.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
Old 24th November 2017, 01:15 AM   #27
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Life expectancy at birth is 76. But if you reach 71, then you're in a subset of the total population (you haven't died already), with different characteristics. The life expectancy of a white male alive at 71 is no longer 76, but actually 85.
Oh God! You mean Trump could be president for another 14 years?

Yeah, yeah, I know. The constitution...blah, blah, blah. But what’s to stop Trump and the Republcans just ignoring it? How many divisions has the Supreme Court?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 03:19 AM   #28
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Anyone know which of these candidates is pure enough for the Bernie Bros?
Old 24th November 2017, 05:09 AM   #29
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Taking a wild guess, i’d say... Bernie Sanders?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:59 AM   #30
Belz...
Fiend God

Er... biden's 75.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 06:43 AM   #31
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Er... biden's 75.
He's rapidly aging.

Old 24th November 2017, 05:04 PM   #32
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No it doesn't. But I'll grant you that Biden isn't an option.
His handsy history rules him out regardless of age.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:19 PM   #33
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Hinkenlooper has the "owned his own brewpub" street cred with the hipsters. It's a good match, a self-made man versus a silver spoon baby like Trump. He'd be a great choice for the dems against The Hair.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:27 PM   #34
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Hinkenlooper has the "owned his own brewpub" street cred with the hipsters. It's a good match, a self-made man versus a silver spoon baby like Trump. He'd be a great choice for the dems against The Hair.
He won't come close to passing the Bernie Bros purity test. If Hillary was too right wing for them, he's going to labelled an arch-conservative.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:37 PM   #35
The_Animus
Master Poster

At a minimum we'll need someone who has over a decade of top-secret security clearance training and experience, who has headed up the state department, and who told the FBI they thought the (c) in their e-mails meant an alphabetical marker despite there never being any (a) or (b) or (d) or (e) or (f) or (g) or (h)...

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.

Last edited by The_Animus; 24th November 2017 at 05:38 PM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:37 PM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think there's a lot people will look past if they see a strong candidate who can beat Trump.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:38 PM   #37
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Not the US constitution. The only age requirement is 35 or older.

Bill de Blasio was reelected mayor of NYC pretty easily, and promptly announced that he was heading to Iowa.

Here's an article which purports to rank the contestants. Unfortunately it only goes 1-6, with some decided longshots in Sherrod Brown and Deval Patrick at the end.
Old 24th November 2017, 05:49 PM   #38
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's still 2017. The election is 3 years away. This is like trying to predict the weather that far out. And Trump is not exactly a stabilizing force in the political landscape.

I'm sure the Democrats will pick another old guard member of their inner circle who they give the nomination to because "they've paid their dues" and that will... most probably be enough to beat Trump. Most probably.

But I still fear the Democrats will get the win lined up perfectly in the cross hairs, expertly adjust for windage, wait for the exact moment for the perfect shot, hold their breath.... and turn the gun around and shoot themselves right between the eyes and wonder where they went wrong... again.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 08:25 PM   #39
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
It's still 2017. The election is 3 years away. This is like trying to predict the weather that far out. And Trump is not exactly a stabilizing force in the political landscape.

I'm sure the Democrats will pick another old guard member of their inner circle who they give the nomination to because "they've paid their dues" and that will... most probably be enough to beat Trump. Most probably.

But I still fear the Democrats will get the win lined up perfectly in the cross hairs, expertly adjust for windage, wait for the exact moment for the perfect shot, hold their breath.... and turn the gun around and shoot themselves right between the eyes and wonder where they went wrong... again.
The actual nominee is barely on the radar, probably. The leadership of the party, aside from the last president, are doyennes. All too old. Even Warren, but certainly Hillary and Bernie and Joe and that crazy liberal California lady. And they're doing the right thing - stepping up and keeping the heat on and drawing the fire of the Kleptocrat in Chief and his butt-sniffing minions.

Around the '18 mid-terms we should start to see the next generation of contenders moving up, and the money bags picking sides. The problem is that the DNC is in complete disarray and I'd hope they learned from '16 not to latch onto a rainmaker like Kerry.

At the moment this thread is only useful for saying who shouldn't run. (Hint: When the conservatives pretend to favor someone, that person is poison.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 08:33 PM   #40
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say that is he decides to run, this guy as a pretty good shot, and the best thing is that since he's from Texas, his running could really throw a lot of chaos into the election by turning Texas Blue!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics