ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2018, 08:34 AM   #81
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Some of my engineering work is rolling slowly around Mars right now. I feel sorry for people who need to cling to ignorance for gratification.

To be clear, I was part of a team that influenced the design of Curiosityís generator. Iím not saying I was a major part of making the rover a reality. But, yeah, itís gratifying to be a bit player on something so cool. I canít empathize with the mindset that would rather have it all be a hoax; what a cramped and dreary outlook.
Did you work on any Apollo programs or did that pre-date you?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:15 AM   #82
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Did you work on any Apollo programs or did that pre-date you?
Pre-dated me... I’m just old enough to remember watching some of the broadcasts. But I worked for and with a number of Apollo guys, like Max Faget and Caldwell Johnson. Max and Caldwell went back to NACA days; there’s even a comic book graphic novel (T-Minus) illustrating (among other things) l how they came to work together. I worked on a spacecraft in Hangar S at the Cape with another guy who had worked there decades before... on Mercury capsules.

Last edited by sts60; 6th December 2018 at 09:18 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 09:12 AM   #83
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Pre-dated me... Iím just old enough to remember watching some of the broadcasts. But I worked for and with a number of Apollo guys, like Max Faget and Caldwell Johnson. Max and Caldwell went back to NACA days; thereís even a comic book graphic novel (T-Minus) illustrating (among other things) l how they came to work together. I worked on a spacecraft in Hangar S at the Cape with another guy who had worked there decades before... on Mercury capsules.
I was a senior in college during A11, but I was petroleum engineer, so no NASA or related contractors for me. You have had an interesting and I hope fulfilling career dealing with space projects.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 12:47 PM   #84
bknight
Graduate Poster

An uniformed individual asked "why can't we image the artifacts left during Apollo. Here is a great video that explains the reasons, lack of resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkaNqud_VxU
Old 7th December 2018, 02:58 PM   #85
Pope130
Master Poster

An uniformed individual asked "why can't we image the artifacts left during Apollo. Here is a great video that explains the reasons, lack of resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkaNqud_VxU
As a (former) uniformed individual I might resent this. Perhaps you meant "uninformed"?
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 05:52 PM   #86
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yeah, I read that.
Still think the Moonbats will be heard from.
"there's a moon hoax on the rise!!"

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 08:38 PM   #87
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
As a (former) uniformed individual I might resent this. Perhaps you meant "uninformed"?
But of course, my apologies. But you the message, and I was a uniformed individual myself in the early 70's.
Old 7th December 2018, 09:55 PM   #88
Pope130
Master Poster

But of course, my apologies. But you the message, and I was a uniformed individual myself in the early 70's.
No problem, I assumed that's what you meant. I find the problem trusting a spellcheck, rather than manually reviewing, is that it will only tell you that the word you typed is spelled correctly, not that it's the one you meant.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 09:55 AM   #89
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
No problem, I assumed that's what you meant. I find the problem trusting a spellcheck, rather than manually reviewing, is that it will only tell you that the word you typed is spelled correctly, not that it's the one you meant.
I am always in a hurry so I don't review as often as I should.
Old 8th December 2018, 10:23 AM   #90
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Already has the right wing freaking out over the lack of a flag raising scene.

right wing has conniption fit, no real people care!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 10:26 AM   #91
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Now there's a man dedicated to public service.

Wash this space!

Old 8th December 2018, 11:15 AM   #92
Planigale
Master Poster

Get real folks. Do you really expect anyone to believe that some mythical president said that there would be a man on the moon within the decade and fifty years later the US cannot put a man (or woman) in orbit. This is not how technology works. Fifty years after the Wrights first flew there was a jet airliner. If they were able to put a man on the moon and bring him back in the last century, there would be holidays to the Sea of Tranquility by now. I've read 'Have space suit will travel', that is more believable.

(Joke!)
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 12:59 PM   #93
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Get real folks. Do you really expect anyone to believe that some mythical president said that there would be a man on the moon within the decade and fifty years later the US cannot put a man (or woman) in orbit. This is not how technology works. Fifty years after the Wrights first flew there was a jet airliner. If they were able to put a man on the moon and bring him back in the last century, there would be holidays to the Sea of Tranquility by now. I've read 'Have space suit will travel', that is more believable.

(Joke!)
I'm tempted to reply, but forum regulations being what they are, prevent me from speaking.

BTW why take the time to pen some paragraph and then end it with joke?
Old 9th December 2018, 02:55 AM   #94
Planigale
Master Poster

I'm tempted to reply, but forum regulations being what they are, prevent me from speaking.

BTW why take the time to pen some paragraph and then end it with joke?
Because some times there is an element of insight in humour. Most of the world were not alive when a man landed on the moon. Looking at the way technology has developed one can understand that ignorant people might think that this was a propaganda exercise because if this could be done fifty years ago why can no nation do anything similar now?

Most people cannot be bothered to look out the facts and if they did, not have the skills to sort the truth from the false.

Anyone can take a jet flight and on a clear day see the curve of the earth. There are still flat earthers; but most people can be convinced by what they see for themselves. When there are trips to the moon, people will believe in moon flight.

So I guess you don't think I should include this in my stand-up set?
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 06:20 AM   #95
bknight
Graduate Poster

Because some times there is an element of insight in humour. Most of the world were not alive when a man landed on the moon. Looking at the way technology has developed one can understand that ignorant people might think that this was a propaganda exercise because if this could be done fifty years ago why can no nation do anything similar now?

Most people cannot be bothered to look out the facts and if they did, not have the skills to sort the truth from the false.

Anyone can take a jet flight and on a clear day see the curve of the earth. There are still flat earthers; but most people can be convinced by what they see for themselves. When there are trips to the moon, people will believe in moon flight.

Personally I find nothing humorous when parroting these willfully ignorant individuals. Sore point for me as you see.
Old 9th December 2018, 10:38 AM   #96
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't open with it.

The rest of your analysis is spot-on. People don't investigate facts, either because it's too much effort and they would rather someone they trust just tell them what's what, or because they suspect they would find the facts uncomfortable. That state of affairs is disappointing, but that's where we are as a race. To fully investigate every question we face simply takes too much. We are at the point where the body of human knowledge vastly exceeds what one single human can master. And we are also at the point where people who choose to ignore facts aren't immediately considered irrational.

I agree that humor can be insightful, often by being incisive. But it has to be recognizable as a joke from the get-go. If you have to say "Joke!" at the end, it's probably not funny to start with. The part of your audience that knows the facts will just be offended by a statement that does nothing but gainsay those facts. The part of your audience that doesn't yet know the facts, but who are generally reasonable, risks being convinced by what sounds like a cogent line of reasoning. And the part of your audience that doesn't know the facts and wouldn't accept them if presented with them will think, "Preach it, brother." You're left with a tiny number of people who would laugh without prompting.

The most successful joke on the subject is still the one that says they hired Stanley Kubrick to make the fake Apollo films, and he was so dissatisfied with the studio results that he insisted they film on location. Granted you have to know something about Kubrick for the joke to be funny, but "film on location" is absurd on its face. The joke works anyway.

Last edited by JayUtah; 9th December 2018 at 10:40 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 11:18 AM   #97
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Already has the right wing freaking out over the lack of a flag raising scene.
What became apparent to me quite a bit before the depiction of activity on the lunar surface is that "First Man" was only peripherally about the landing, or even the space program. The era and places shown were dramatic settings for the story, not the story itself.
Old 9th December 2018, 11:29 AM   #98
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
What became apparent to me quite a bit before the depiction of activity on the lunar surface is that "First Man" was only peripherally about the landing, or even the space program. The era and places shown were dramatic settings for the story, not the story itself.
Next you're going to try to tell us Titanic was some sort of Romeo-and-Julietesque love story and not the documentary on early Twentieth-century shipbuilding and navigation that Cameron clearly intended to make.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 01:17 PM   #99
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Well, I do tend to be known as one who more often than not states the bleeding obvious.

ETA: kudos for italicizing the title of a film rather than place it in quotes as I erroneously did.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 9th December 2018 at 01:19 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 02:53 PM   #100
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Well, I do tend to be known as one who more often than not states the bleeding obvious.

ETA: kudos for italicizing the title of a film rather than place it in quotes as I erroneously did.
For JayUtah to do anything less would be a disappointment.
It's an example of the high standards we have come to expect.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 04:52 PM   #101
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I wouldn't open with it.

The rest of your analysis is spot-on. People don't investigate facts, either because it's too much effort and they would rather someone they trust just tell them what's what, or because they suspect they would find the facts uncomfortable. That state of affairs is disappointing, but that's where we are as a race. To fully investigate every question we face simply takes too much. We are at the point where the body of human knowledge vastly exceeds what one single human can master. And we are also at the point where people who choose to ignore facts aren't immediately considered irrational.

I agree that humor can be insightful, often by being incisive. But it has to be recognizable as a joke from the get-go. If you have to say "Joke!" at the end, it's probably not funny to start with. The part of your audience that knows the facts will just be offended by a statement that does nothing but gainsay those facts. The part of your audience that doesn't yet know the facts, but who are generally reasonable, risks being convinced by what sounds like a cogent line of reasoning. And the part of your audience that doesn't know the facts and wouldn't accept them if presented with them will think, "Preach it, brother." You're left with a tiny number of people who would laugh without prompting.

The most successful joke on the subject is still the one that says they hired Stanley Kubrick to make the fake Apollo films, and he was so dissatisfied with the studio results that he insisted they film on location. Granted you have to know something about Kubrick for the joke to be funny, but "film on location" is absurd on its face. The joke works anyway.
Better spoken than I could have penned.
Old 9th December 2018, 07:06 PM   #102
MBDK
New Blood

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I wouldn't open with it.
Now, THAT is funny!
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 02:57 PM   #103
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

oy vey, basketball superstar Seth Curry just said he does not believe we went to the moon.

Problem is, he's quite popular with the kids.
Old 10th December 2018, 03:38 PM   #104
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I saw that too. Very sad when role models such as sports figures don't take that responsibility seriously in cases like this where they're talking outside their competence. I guess in return I should go play basketball, seeing as I'm well into middle age, all of 162 cm tall, and about as coordinated as a seasick penguin.

Last edited by JayUtah; 10th December 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:08 PM   #105
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
oy vey, basketball superstar Seth Curry just said he does not believe we went to the moon.

That may set off more posts/threads then the movie. Sad day for reality.
Old 11th December 2018, 08:09 AM   #106
chrispy
Muse

Steph Curry. Seth is his little brother and also an NBA player (don't want to taint Seth with this silliness!).
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 09:47 AM   #107
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Steph Curry. Seth is his little brother and also an NBA player (don't want to taint Seth with this silliness!).
You are quite correct, sorry about that!

I notice that NASA has invited Curry to tour their facility the next time he is in Houston.

Unfortunate that they had to do it, but it is a smart move given his outsized influence with today's youths.
Old 11th December 2018, 10:08 AM   #108
Belz...
Fiend God

Better spoken than I could have penned.
Yeah get used to that. Jay always makes the rest of us look bad by comparison.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 02:01 PM   #109
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I didn't know that.
Old 11th December 2018, 04:38 PM   #110
Axxman300
Illuminator

You are quite correct, sorry about that!

I notice that NASA has invited Curry to tour their facility the next time he is in Houston.

Unfortunate that they had to do it, but it is a smart move given his outsized influence with today's youths.
I hope he goes. He's a good guy.

Here's the story:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...211-story.html
Old 11th December 2018, 04:55 PM   #111
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I hope he goes. He's a good guy.

Here's the story:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...211-story.html
Any sports icon is acting irresponsibly to youths by mouthing a conspiracy theory.
Old 11th December 2018, 11:52 PM   #112
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Dammit Steph...
Old 12th December 2018, 07:57 PM   #113
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Now he says he was joking when he originally said it.

Old 13th December 2018, 01:36 AM   #114
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Should have read Planigale's posts on this thread first. We're ahead of the game here.
Old 13th December 2018, 05:58 AM   #115
bknight
Graduate Poster

This comment will no doubt get less publicity than the denial.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories