ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th December 2018, 08:21 AM   #2001
Paul2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
There really does seem to be this thing whereby the side that lies cheats and steals believes the lying, cheating and stealing to be standard practice across the board so, whenever there's evidence of wrongdoing, they firmly believe it's been cooked up because that's what they'd do.
Projection, in other words.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:49 AM   #2002
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think that's completely appropriate, for once.
I believe that there is no requirement for US President's to salute. But, by convention they do in some situations. Trump is hardly the first, or even first that was never in the military.

ETA: Actually it seems to have started with Saint Ronnie. Not even Ike, or Grant, former generals, saluted.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 6th December 2018 at 08:59 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:58 AM   #2003
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Meh, as much as I despise Trump, at least he was standing and looking without a visible smirk, or picking his nose.

But it’s fun to play the “how many hours would Fox be raving about this if Obama or Hilary Clinton had done it?” game. Put me down for 60 total hours of outrage airtime.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:11 AM   #2004
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Meh, as much as I despise Trump, at least he was standing and looking without a visible smirk, or picking his nose.

But it’s fun to play the “how many hours would Fox be raving about this if Obama or Hilary Clinton had done it?” game. Put me down for 60 total hours of outrage airtime.
Obama coffee-cup-salute got about 3 weeks of constant outrage, while Bush hold-dog-salute got crickets. (see attached if you don't know what I'm talking about)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obama-uses-coffee-cup-to-salute-marines.jpg (13.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 51726358.jpg (35.2 KB, 20 views)
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:15 AM   #2005
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
That just takes me back to the Chelsea Handler tweet I posted earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Donald Trump is getting praised for his behavior at Bush’s funeral. Our president is such an *******, we have to reward him when he doesn’t make a scene at a funeral.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:50 AM   #2006
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

What is wrong with these people?

From: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...6-percent-poll
The poll found that 46 percent approve of Trump’s job performance, while 54 percent don’t approve. That’s a slight bump from his October numbers, when 44 percent approved of the job the president was doing. A majority of voters approve of Trump’s handling of the economy and jobs as well as combating terrorism — numbers that have remained fairly stable throughout 2018.

Ok, there are a lot of racists in the U.S. who are happy with his policies. I get that. And yes, the unemployment rate is still low, But this poll was taken just after the GM layoffs and at a time when the Dow is floundering (so people should be a little more wary of claims that Trump is 'good for the economy'), and after the khashoggi murder hit the news. Trump's approval rating should be dropping.

Fortunately, his approval rating is still below 50% in most polls (and will probably remain there). And the increase was within the margin of error (so maybe its a statistical thing).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:51 AM   #2007
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Wow. It sounds so scarey when you describe it. A federal Constitutional crisis resulting from the overturning of checks and balances.

The problem is that you have it entirely backwards. If the president is suspected of violating a state law, then that state’s attorney general has the right to gather evidence. If these AGs were not permitted to investigate then the system of checks and balances would be in jeopardy because the president would have the ability to break state laws with impunity.
No, you're wrong. The AGs are suing Trump for violating the Emoluments Clause. Not for breaking any State law. The state's have a pact with the federal government. In fact, they are part of that Federal government. Both have a duty to each other. States have often sued the Federal Government for overstepping or failing to enforce certain laws.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:55 AM   #2008
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He doesn't have a cover.
A blanket?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:57 AM   #2009
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Without the phony Russia Witch Hunt, and with all that we have accomplished in the last almost two years (Tax & Regulation Cuts, Judge’s, Military, Vets, etc.) my approval rating would be at 75% rather than the 50% just reported by Rasmussen. It’s called Presidential Harassment!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 10:01 AM   #2010
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A blanket?
cover
(U.S.) Military headgear of any type.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appen...military_slang

FYI whether a serviceman is supposed to wear his cover indoors actually varies by military branch.

ETA: let me walk that back. No branch wears covers indoors. However, Army and Air Force salute indoors, while Navy/Marine/Coast Guard does not. ETA2: unless they are under arms that is. Then they wear cover at all times ( I think).

Last edited by lobosrul5; 6th December 2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:11 AM   #2011
autumn1971
Master Poster

I think that's completely appropriate, for once.
Nope. Custom is that the Presidency is a civilian position and the President should not return salutes or do them. Reagan was the first to start returning salutes as President and his CotJCoS tried to explain that he shouldn’t.

It’s all moot, because once someone does something “patriotic” it’s a ******* race to the bottom. Be as “patriotic” as the last idiot or you hate ‘Murcia.

I think it’s problematic, but nothing to do with the Trump problem in particular.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 10:12 AM   #2012
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Projection, in other words.
Thanks. That's the word I was utterly failing to find.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:52 AM   #2013
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Nope. Custom is that the Presidency is a civilian position and the President should not return salutes or do them. Reagan was the first to start returning salutes as President and his CotJCoS tried to explain that he shouldn’t.

It’s all moot, because once someone does something “patriotic” it’s a ******* race to the bottom. Be as “patriotic” as the last idiot or you hate ‘Murcia.

I think it’s problematic, but nothing to do with the Trump problem in particular.

The next thing you know, someone ends up saluting an officer in the military of a hostile foreign power.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:03 AM   #2014
Belz...
Fiend God

He's still commander-in-chief of the armies, so although he's a civilian I don't have or see a problem with it. And if it's been done since Reagan, then it's the new custom, old customs be damned.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:24 AM   #2015
autumn1971
Master Poster

He's still commander-in-chief of the armies, so although he's a civilian I don't have or see a problem with it. And if it's been done since Reagan, then it's the new custom, old customs be damned.
Yup. It’s not a problem due to this POSOTUS.

It does reflect a very disturbing trend toward enforced conformity of ridiculous faux-patriotism that is often seen in totalitarian regimes.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:32 AM   #2016
Belz...
Fiend God

Yup. It’s not a problem due to this POSOTUS.

It does reflect a very disturbing trend toward enforced conformity of ridiculous faux-patriotism that is often seen in totalitarian regimes.
You won't get any disagreement from me on that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:31 PM   #2017
zorro99
Muse

Trump Tweets

Without the phony Russia Witch Hunt, and with all that we have accomplished in the last almost two years (Tax & Regulation Cuts, Judge’s, Military, Vets, etc.) my approval rating would be at 75% rather than the 50% just reported by Rasmussen. It’s called Presidential Harassment!
In other words, he would be very popular if he weren’t so unpopular.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:39 PM   #2018
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
How do you feel about non-veterans?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11976
if I had given a salute that sloppy in US Army Basic, I would have been doing a lot of push ups immediately after.
Trump, it he was going to give a salute, should have learned how to do it correctly. Obama and Clinton did.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th December 2018 at 12:52 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:49 PM   #2019
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Without the phony Russia Witch Hunt, and with all that we have accomplished in the last almost two years (Tax & Regulation Cuts, Judge’s judges, Military, Vets, etc.) my approval rating would be at 75% rather than the 50% just reported by Rasmussen. It’s called Presidential Harassment!
I love it when people just make up statistics.

Someone at the WH please explain to the "genius" the difference between a plural and a possessive. Don't bother with proper capitalization; it's too complicated for his great mind.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:57 PM   #2020
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

The poll found that 46 percent approve of Trump’s job performance, while 54 percent don’t approve. That’s a slight bump from his October numbers, when 44 percent approved of the job the president was doing. A majority of voters approve of Trump’s handling of the economy and jobs as well as combating terrorism — numbers that have remained fairly stable throughout 2018.

Ok, there are a lot of racists in the U.S. who are happy with his policies. I get that. And yes, the unemployment rate is still low, But this poll was taken just after the GM layoffs and at a time when the Dow is floundering (so people should be a little more wary of claims that Trump is 'good for the economy'), and after the khashoggi murder hit the news. Trump's approval rating should be dropping.

Fortunately, his approval rating is still below 50% in most polls (and will probably remain there). And the increase was within the margin of error (so maybe its a statistical thing).
Good stuff is Trump’s doing.
Bad stuff is fake news or the Dems.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:01 PM   #2021
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I wonder if there has been any polling done among active military servicemen to ask for their opinion (since they are the ones that should be most affected.)

Do they think "the president is giving us respect by saluting", or do they think "We worked hard to protect the country and now this president, who has never risked his life by serving in the military, is co-opting one of our symbolic gestures for political gain".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:08 PM   #2022
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
cover
(U.S.) Military headgear of any type.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appen...military_slang

FYI whether a serviceman is supposed to wear his cover indoors actually varies by military branch.

ETA: let me walk that back. No branch wears covers indoors. However, Army and Air Force salute indoors, while Navy/Marine/Coast Guard does not. ETA2: unless they are under arms that is. Then they wear cover at all times ( I think).
So a hat then?
Old 6th December 2018, 01:10 PM   #2023
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

TrumpTweets

My thoughts and prayers are with the @USMC crew members who were involved in a mid-air collision off the coast of Japan. Thank you to @USForcesJapan for their immediate response and rescue efforts. Whatever you need, we are here for you. @IIIMEF
Old 6th December 2018, 01:36 PM   #2024
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

So a hat then?
Or helmet, beret etc.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:40 PM   #2025
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

In what should not be a surprise for anyone, anywhere, it appears that Trump has been using undocumented workers at his property

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/u...d-workers.html

The problem with using undocumented workers is that they tend to get pissed off when you constantly insult them, and then come forward, even knowing they will be deported.

Didn't one of Clinton's AG nominees get zorched because it was discovered that she had not paid taxes for a housekeeper, or something like that?
Old 6th December 2018, 03:06 PM   #2026
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
In what should not be a surprise for anyone, anywhere, it appears that Trump has been using undocumented workers at his property

The problem with using undocumented workers is that they tend to get pissed off when you constantly insult them, and then come forward, even knowing they will be deported.

Didn't one of Clinton's AG nominees get zorched because it was discovered that she had not paid taxes for a housekeeper, or something like that?
Yeah, but he wasn't smart enough to keep intermediaries between himself and the undocumented worker
Old 6th December 2018, 03:07 PM   #2027
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Quite a lot of folks have built information filters around themselves.

ETA: Plus, if the main reason you support Trump is because he "pisses off the elite/libs/media", well he's still doing a bang-up job of that

Last edited by LSSBB; 6th December 2018 at 03:12 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 03:09 PM   #2028
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
In practical political terms in the US any approval rating below 50% is a sign you are trouble.

It's a fact of Amereicn politics that a President will usually get an automatic 40% approval rating from voters of his own Party.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th December 2018 at 03:11 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 03:45 PM   #2029
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post

ETA: Plus, if the main reason you support Trump is because he "pisses off the elite/libs/media", well he's still doing a bang-up job of that
When he isn’t flat out embarrassing himself and the country.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:02 PM   #2030
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Does the Fake News Media ever mention the fact that Republicans, with the very important help of my campaign Rallies, WON THE UNITED STATES SENATE, 53 to 47? All I hear is that the Open Border Dems won the House. Senate alone approves judges & others. Big Republican Win!

Statement from China: “The teams of both sides are now having smooth communications and good cooperation with each other. We are full of confidence that an agreement can be reached within the next 90 days.” I agree!
Old 6th December 2018, 06:04 PM   #2031
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Nah. Nothing will come of it.

It's only bad if a Democrat does it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:19 PM   #2032
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He doesn't have a cover.
I was going to say that, but isn't it possible in the US military for a salute without a cover?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:26 PM   #2033
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
if I had given a salute that sloppy in US Army Basic, I would have been doing a lot of push ups immediately after.
Trump, it he was going to give a salute, should have learned how to do it correctly. Obama and Clinton did.
Didn't Trump attend military school? Surely he would have been taught a proper salute there.

Yeah, he did - New York Military Academy. And he wasn't a popular boy.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:26 PM   #2034
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently some right-wingers are pretending to be all butt-hurt that Hillary blew off Trump at Bush's funeral. Because, you know, after rhetoric that led to a guy sending a bomb to her house and spending years calling her "Crooked Hillary" and doing things like retweeting an image of her in jail, she is supposed to be civil to him.

Keep in mind, this isn't serious. This is just an excuse to criticize her, knowing full well it's ********.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:30 PM   #2035
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that documents offer "very strong evidence" of "illegal coordination" between the Trump campaign and the NRA
Old 6th December 2018, 06:32 PM   #2036
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Does the Fake News Media ever mention the fact that Republicans, with the very important help of my campaign Rallies, WON THE UNITED STATES SENATE, 53 to 47? All I hear is that the Open Border Dems won the House. Senate alone approves judges & others. Big Republican Win!
Does he not know? If that is how he does math then it is more accurate to say Democrats won the Senate that night 22-11
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:33 PM   #2037
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Apparently some right-wingers are pretending to be all butt-hurt that Hillary blew off Trump at Bush's funeral. Because, you know, after rhetoric that led to a guy sending a bomb to her house and spending years calling her "Crooked Hillary" and doing things like retweeting an image of her in jail, she is supposed to be civil to him.

Keep in mind, this isn't serious. This is just an excuse to criticize her, knowing full well it's ********.
I give her credit for just ignoring him. That took some self-control.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:47 PM   #2038
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Trumpity-doo-dah...

Trump has confessed to some deep feelings about North Korea's Kim Jong Un. He said at one of his rallies:
Quote:
“And then we fell in love, okay? No, really - he wrote me beautiful letters, and they’re great letters,” he said. Link
Trump salutes North Korean general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trump Salutes No Korean General.jpg (22.0 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 06:54 PM   #2039
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Why in the hell would Trump salute a NK general? Under no circumstances is that appropriate. What a doofus.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:57 PM   #2040
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I give her credit for just ignoring him. That took some self-control.
I remember during the primary that HRC ran into Carly Fiorini's (or whatever her last name is) husband at a voting prexinct. They exchanged pleasantries, and when she left, she said, "Say hi to Carly for me."

So she can be perfectly pleasant, even with people ahe disagrres with vehemently.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics