ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 15th November 2018, 01:11 PM   #201
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I see Lindsey Graham is continuing his bid for the AG position...
So strange he'd want that.

He would be giving up a relatively safe senate seat, all for the chance to work for Trump as AG... a situation that has the possibility of ending badly:
- With Trump dumping on him on Twitter, then firing him after a very short period of time
- With a 2020 election defeat of the Republicans, with Graham only having spent 2 years working for Trump and with his reputation tarnished

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #202
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I see him exiting like the Bill Macy character in Fargo, screaming incoherently and trying to escape through the window in his underwear as the law comes to apprehend him.
Strange place to find a window!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:24 PM   #203
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
He's been hiding it?
I think it's a possibility

For example

Starting to show how much he despises his base (and indeed everyone).
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:24 PM   #204
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Melania and I were honored to visit with our GREAT U.S. MARINES at the Marine Barracks here in Washington, D.C. We love you @USMC "
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:26 PM   #205
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
You know, I have some prime ocean front property I can let go for a great price! Right here in Arkansas...

I think a lakeside residence on Lake Chicamocomico would be more appropriate.
Old 15th November 2018, 01:34 PM   #206
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Bikini Atoll?

ETA: preferably with a time machine set to March 1 1954
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 15th November 2018 at 01:39 PM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:38 PM   #207
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay so honest question.

The Republicans are not looking at a huge majority in the Senate when the dust settles. 2-3 people tops.

If things get bad enough is the option of a couple of Republicans crossing the aisle even worth hoping for?

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:38 PM   #208
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I’m am unsure what your point is. The USSS provides protection for all children of sitting presidents no matter where they go and no matter what their reason for travelling

On the other hand, knowing who bought those condos and how much they paid are relevant questions about this administration.
Old 15th November 2018, 01:46 PM   #209
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I see Lindsey Graham is continuing his bid for the AG position; he's now saying he would start an investigation into Hillary Clinton. Graham is obviously courting Trump's obsession with HRC. Don't the Republicans ever get tired of going after HRC? They've tried several times and always fail.
Well it generally worked out well for them with their own base for the past 30 years. Why stop now?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:48 PM   #210
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
That might have been a relevant threat 2 months ago when the Senate was working to approve Drunky McRapeface and he might have had influence. Now that the pressure is off, the Republicans can either wait until the new congress is sworn in (with the possibility of additional republican senators), or McConnell can advance the nominations (even if not approved in committee) and Pence can be a tiebreaker.

Hate to say it, but Flake is no anti-Trump republican moderate. He is a scumbag pretending to be a rational individual yet doing everything he can to support the Republican cause.
Yep he is trying to take the role of McCain.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:14 PM   #211
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep he is trying to take the role of McCain.
He's only in the Senate for another month-and-a-half. His threats are completely without meaning.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:22 PM   #212
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm surprised he isn't suggesting that after voting people should have to stick their thumb into the ink bottle.
Old 15th November 2018, 02:26 PM   #213
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm surprised he isn't suggesting that after voting people should have to stick their thumb into the ink bottle.
No, you get this scarlet "V" to wear...
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:29 PM   #214
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, yes... The Cereal Voter Conspiracy.
Old 15th November 2018, 02:33 PM   #215
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I bought a box of Captain Crunch a few weeks back with no ID.

Should I turn myself in or is it to late for me already?

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:37 PM   #216
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Not at all Cap'n. Welcome your new identity.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:39 PM   #217
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Not at all Cap'n. Welcome your new identity.
Silly Rabbit! Votes are for Kids!
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:44 PM   #218
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Depends. Was it original Cap'n Crunch or with Berries?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:32 PM   #219
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have nothng but complete and total contempt for Linsdey Graham. He represents the worst side of Politics:Somebody who has been so corrupted in his lust for power and office that he will betray any principals he once had. He has gone from a critic of Trump to his Toady. Truly disgusting.
Graham was pretty much the only one on the Klown Kar to have served in the military. Except he was a military lawyer.
Old 15th November 2018, 03:36 PM   #220
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Depends. Was it original Cap'n Crunch or with Berries?
Peanut Butter, I'm not a savage.

Old 15th November 2018, 03:38 PM   #221
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Peanut Butter, I'm not a savage.
Oh, dear. That IS the one flavor that does require a valid ID to buy. I suggest you hire a lawyer. I hear Michael Cohen is available.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:45 PM   #222
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that the Trump administration were looking to find a way to extradite a US citizen who is wanted in Turkey in exchange for Turkey backing off the investigation into Khashoggi's murder in the Saudi embassy
Old 15th November 2018, 03:47 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Graham was pretty much the only one on the Klown Kar to have served in the military. Except he was a military lawyer.
Graham is Richard Rich in "A Man For All Seasons" for real....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:48 PM   #224
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"It is our sacred duty to support America’s Service Members every single day they wear the uniform – and every day after when they return home as Veterans. Together we will HONOR those who defend us, we will CHERISH those who protect us, and we will celebrate the amazing heroes..."
Old 15th November 2018, 03:52 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Does anyone believe that the Saudi Crown Prince had no hand in or knowledge of Khashoggi's murder? I don't. Nothing that big would have been done without his OK. I think Ahmad al-Assiri, a former deputy intelligence chief, is the chosen sacrificial lamb although he probably was involved. But I bet Trump will accept it.
Old 15th November 2018, 03:53 PM   #226
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"It is our sacred duty to support America’s Service Members every single day they wear the uniform – and every day after when they return home as Veterans. Together we will HONOR those who defend us, we will CHERISH those who protect us, and we will celebrate the amazing heroes..."
...except when it's raining. Or there's something good on FOX.
Old 15th November 2018, 03:55 PM   #227
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Unless of course they were captured. In which case, screw them.

Oh wait, toes that "every single day" include days that its raining?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:30 PM   #228
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The piece of **** doesn't care much for certain Gold Star families either.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.84f7e5b57068

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:47 PM   #229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Actions speak louder then words, and your no show at the Military Cemetary in France and you no show at Arlington on Veterens Day, and you not bothering to visit the soldiers you sent to the US Mexican Border on a political stunt speak pretty damn loud about how you feel about the US Miliatary/
Just another bunch of people for you to use to feed your massive ego.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:55 PM   #230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump tweets

"Last year, I signed the landmark VA Accountability Act to ensure those who mistreat our Veterans can be held fully accountable. Since my inauguration, we have removed more than 3,600 government employees who were not giving our Vets the care they deserve...."
Old 15th November 2018, 04:55 PM   #231
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He doesn't care about no furiner. Saudi's got money, now that's what Trump cares about.
Old 15th November 2018, 05:06 PM   #232
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
New low? Bartering a US resident in order to impede an investigation into the [clearly state-sponsored] murder of another US resident is an insane level of corruption.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 05:19 PM   #233
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
New low? Bartering a US resident in order to impede an investigation into the [clearly state-sponsored] murder of another US resident is an insane level of corruption.
I have to start wondering if the Saudi's might not have some finiancial hold on Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th November 2018, 05:40 PM   #234
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is planning a trip to California this weekend to visit the fire areas.
As if things weren't bad enough out here......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th November 2018, 06:06 PM   #235
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Okay so honest question.

The Republicans are not looking at a huge majority in the Senate when the dust settles. 2-3 people tops.

If things get bad enough is the option of a couple of Republicans crossing the aisle even worth hoping for?
It didn't happen when it would only have taken one, I doubt it'll happen when it needs three.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 06:16 PM   #236
Stacyhs
Philosopher

trump tweets

"Last year, I signed the landmark VA Accountability Act to ensure those who mistreat our Veterans can be held fully accountable. Since my inauguration, we have removed more than 3,600 government employees who were not giving our Vets the care they deserve...."
And replaced them with gov't employees who do? Like Ronnie Jackson?
Old 15th November 2018, 06:18 PM   #237
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump is planning a trip to California this weekend to visit the fire areas.
As if things weren't bad enough out here......
He'd best stay out of the view of firefighters. They might mistake the orange glow for an ember and turn the hose on him.
Old 15th November 2018, 06:24 PM   #238
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

And replaced them with gov't employees who do? Like Ronnie Jackson?
Not replaced them at all. Far cheaper, and vets were already used to not getting service.
Old 15th November 2018, 06:25 PM   #239
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

"Melania and I were honored to visit with our GREAT U.S. MARINES at the Marine Barracks here in Washington, D.C. We love you @USMC "
He loves them so much he couldn't be ******* arsed going to Belleau Wood in France on the anniversary of one of their great defining battles.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 06:27 PM   #240
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Not replaced them at all. Far cheaper, and vets were already used to not getting service.
I can't find any info on how many new VA employees were hired. I'm sure some, but I can find no numbers. I agree that the VA can certainly do a much better job servicing our veterans but I have no confidence in Trump's fixing that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics