ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 28th November 2018, 07:04 AM   #361
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The knowledge has crystallised and the possible effects are more imminent. There's a greater sense of urgency.

And Leavers have had time to learn about the Brexit consequences of which they were either totally ignorant or chose to ignore.
Then let the leavers ask for it. Remainers had their say and it hasn't changed.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 07:15 AM   #362
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
From a remainer perspective, nothing has changed since the vote. So I don't know why they would call for another vote.
Because it's not the remainer perspective that needed to change. The 48% who voted against leaving have not seen any evidence to suggest we may have made a bad choice, but that's not the choice we're stuck with. The 52% may well have seen evidence that theirs wasn't so good, and may want to change their minds.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 07:17 AM   #363
fagin
Philosopher

Do you think leavers/remainers wear little badges to distinguish them?
Old 28th November 2018, 07:17 AM   #364
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

But that all seems like things remainers said would happen. They have no new knowledge that changes the situation from what they said it was at the time of the vote.
It's less about knowledge than about belief. Leavers simply didn't believe that the EU would refuse to give the UK all the benefits of membership with none of the costs. That belief has a great deal more evidence behind it now.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 07:18 AM   #365
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Do you think leavers/remainers wear little badges to distinguish them?
Hey, who's been leaking UKIP's next election policies?

Dave

Old 28th November 2018, 07:37 AM   #366
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The knowledge has crystallised and the possible effects are more imminent. There's a greater sense of urgency.

And Leavers have had time to learn about the Brexit consequences of which they were either totally ignorant or chose to ignore.
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Because it's not the remainer perspective that needed to change. The 48% who voted against leaving have not seen any evidence to suggest we may have made a bad choice, but that's not the choice we're stuck with. The 52% may well have seen evidence that theirs wasn't so good, and may want to change their minds.

Dave
So let the people who changed their minds ask for a new vote. People who had their voice heard, and haven't changed their position, shouldn't be asking for another vote.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 07:38 AM   #367
Dave Rogers

So let the people who changed their minds ask for a new vote. People who had their voice heard, and haven't changed their position, shouldn't be asking for another vote.
How do you know which are which?

Dave

Old 28th November 2018, 07:40 AM   #368
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know which are which?

Dave
Im not policing anything. It is guidance for ones own personal conduct. I'm indifferent to people ignoring it.
Old 28th November 2018, 07:47 AM   #369
Dave Rogers

I'd just like to apologise to the rest of the people in this thread for taking posts #353, #358, #361 and #366 as sincere and constructive.

Dave

Old 28th November 2018, 07:52 AM   #370
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'd just like to apologise to the rest of the people in this thread for taking posts #353, #358, #361 and #366 as sincere and constructive.

Dave
They were absolutely sincere.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:03 AM   #371
fagin
Philosopher

and.......?
Old 28th November 2018, 08:16 AM   #372
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

and.......?

Old 28th November 2018, 08:18 AM   #373
fagin
Philosopher

Constructive?
Old 28th November 2018, 08:21 AM   #374
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, who's been leaking UKIP's next election policies?

Dave
Well, UKIP have taken on Tommy Robinson as a paid policy advisor to help make them a 'Mass Movement'
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:22 AM   #375
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear. Health Secretary Matt Hancock, continuing to talk of a “Brexit dividend” for the NHS.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:23 AM   #376
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Constructive?
I am not such an egoist that I'm going to declare something I say is or is not constructive. That isnt for me to judge. But I am probably the best source for assessing my sincerity.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:36 AM   #377
Wudang
BOFH

Stop talking reality down!
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:40 AM   #378
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I am not such an egoist that I'm going to declare something I say is or is not constructive. That isnt for me to judge. But I am probably the best source for assessing my sincerity.
Suppose 10% of the original 52% 'leave' voters (~5% of the turnout) have changed their minds and start clamouring for a new referendum. If all the other voters vote the same way as they did first time then the vote becomes 'remain'. But ...

1. Who's going to perk up and listen to a mere 5% of the original turnout?

2. How do we know they voted 'leave' in the first place?

What you're proposing - "leave it to those who have changed their minds" - makes no sense.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #379
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Suppose 10% of the original 52% 'leave' voters (~5% of the turnout) have changed their minds and start clamouring for a new referendum. If all the other voters vote the same way as they did first time then the vote becomes 'remain'. But ...

What you're proposing - "leave it to those who have changed their minds" - makes no sense.
I'm not saying anyone should listen to them or that my recommendation is a policy for affecting positive results. It is just a statement on good behavior.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:44 AM   #380
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Also the government can't seem to produce a deal that is remotely as popular as remain.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:50 AM   #381
3point14
Pi

What you're proposing ... makes no sense.
Consider to whom you are writing this...
Old 28th November 2018, 08:55 AM   #382
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Also the government can't seem to produce a deal that is remotely as popular as remain.
The referendum did not say that warranted another referendum.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:59 AM   #383
wobs
Graduate Poster

I had no idea we were so legally tied to an advisory referendum.

Last edited by wobs; 28th November 2018 at 10:12 AM.
wobs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 09:00 AM   #384
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Yeah, but it didn't say it didn't warrant another referendum.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 09:05 AM   #385
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I recall a news piece before the Referendum in which various Brits in Spain were interviewed. The ones who were permanent residents were mostly very apprehensive and anti-Brexit, but those who had second homes in Spain were pro-Brexit and thought it would have no effect on their ability to use their properties there.
And, of course, those who were permanent residents for more than 10 (?) years weren't allowed to vote in the referendum.

Isn't there a court case still working it's way through about that?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 09:30 AM   #386
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Air bud politik
Old 28th November 2018, 11:57 AM   #387
The Moog
Thinker

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, the deal she has hammered out puts the UK in a worse position than it is already in. It's like asking for a pay rise and accepting a pay cut.
The deal was always going to put the country in a worse position than its already in.
Anyone who was expecting anything else was delusional or lying.

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
No, a brilliant negotiator would have maybe been able to hammer out a win-win deal.
Unfortunately Brexit was always going to be a lose-lose deal.
The Moog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 11:59 AM   #388
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Oh dear. Health Secretary Matt Hancock, continuing to talk of a “Brexit dividend” for the NHS.
Of course there will be a NHS dividend, after all the staffing costs will be drastically reduced..
Old 28th November 2018, 12:00 PM   #389
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
And it didn't say that it didn't say that it did say it warrants another referendum.!
Old 28th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #390
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Ok. Why are we listening to Mogg on the BofE report? I want to hear from experts so I can weigh up whether I think it is a good report or not.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:07 PM   #391
jeremyp
Critical Thinker

But that all seems like things remainers said would happen. They have no new knowledge that changes the situation from what they said it was at the time of the vote.
Brexiteers have new knowledge though. Also, a proportion of voters have died since 2016 and there is a load of young new voters. Given that the margin was only 4%, this is significant.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 01:09 PM   #392
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Ok. Why are we listening to Mogg on the BofE report? I want to hear from experts so I can weigh up whether I think it is a good report or not.
Does mogg have an expertise or is he just a professional what's it called?

What is the term for hin
Old 28th November 2018, 01:13 PM   #393
fagin
Philosopher

******* idiot.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:18 PM   #394
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

What is the term for hin
Colossal twat.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:19 PM   #395
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

What is the term for hin
I'm afraid Rule 10 prohibits an answer.

This news source might give a poetically true* flavour

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/polit...20180911177167

Or this one, which is almost actually true

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/polit...20181121179672

*untrue
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 28th November 2018 at 01:22 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 01:25 PM   #396
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Colossal twat.
I meant more specific to his background...raised by a nanny, Eton college, Trinity, banking, started hedge fund, then politics....

Is there a particular term for this? I know little about the UK and the only touch point I have for this is "upper class twit of the year" from Monty Python.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:32 PM   #397
fagin
Philosopher

Try

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/polit...20170907135284
Old 28th November 2018, 02:02 PM   #398
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Why are you guys still having to put up with graduates of Eton?
Old 28th November 2018, 02:12 PM   #399
RolandRat
Thinker

Why are you guys still having to put up with graduates of Eton?
Because Daily Mail readers are ******* idiots who think people like Rees-Mogg are looking out for the "common man". The sooner that generation is six foot under the better.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 02:26 PM   #400
Information Analyst
Philosopher

What is the term for hin
Monumental antiquated cockwomble.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics